Start by marking “Brighter” as Want to Read:
Brighter

Brighter

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  11 reviews
New Adult Horror: Recommended for mature readers due to language and some sexual content.

Five years ago, when Ramona Brinks was a freshman in college, Garrett Hillard raped a girl.

At least that's what the girl said anyway, and that's why the guys in town got together and introduced Garrett to their fists. They told him in no uncertain terms to leave and stay gone.

Garrett
Published February 9th 2011 by Punk Rawk Books (first published April 13th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Brighter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brighter

Vicki Keire
I'm re-reading this because I live in a college town, and I need a reminder every now and then that no, I'm not literally stuck in a vortex. I can leave, unlike the characters in Chamber's excellent horror novel. Although there's plenty that's frightening- disappearances, murder, soul-stealing, monsters, and more- perhaps the most frightening of all is the way Chambers captures that moment when we leave college behind for the "real world," and how very ill-prepared so many of us are.
K.
I will always love this book for personal reasons. Ms. Chambers writes about a "vortex", an unseen force that keeps the inhabitants of a small college town locked or glued in place. I have lived in a little nightmare just like that. The book is easy to read; the author is worried to a fault the reader might not understand the plot or the characters' motives. However, this makes the book soothing for horror fiction fans coming home from work with a headache. I enjoyed the plot, the romance, and m ...more
Anjie Kendall
For me, this book was very hard to get into at first. Later into the book I found myself skipping parts of it. I wanted more of an explanation of the "bad guys." I wanted to not roll my eyes and think "of course that happened" at some of the parts, it was very predictable. There was one continuity error that stuck out to me. On one page a character that was there was Dawn, and on the very next page it was Cecilia. I checked a couple of times to make sure I'd read correctly. I can overlook a lot, ...more
audrey
A recommended book for readers interested in a thrilling new-adult novel about a college town with a mysterious and deadly entrapment that never allows its residents to leave.

Brighter has a cast of authentic complex characters that are coming to terms with life post graduation in addition to realizing their town and its residents are not what they seem. The prose and pacing create an enjoyable and engaging story. While subtle elements of horror and mystery forge a suspenseful constantly unfoldi
Jennifer Williams
I kept waiting for it to pick up and get on with the story and then once it did, eh. The story line was choppy and scattered, jumping from one character to another. The ending was anti climatic and left a lot to be desired. I really feel like I wasted my time reading this book. It wasn't the worst book I've ever read but I will not be recommending it to anyone in the future.
Brittany
This book seemed to move a lot slower than other books by V.J. Chambers. It was still a decent book, but I like her other novels better.
Karen
I understand cliffhangers, but this was drug out too far and you never really found out anything in the end.
Cheenie
Great book I loved the story!!! Thank you for putting it up free on your website!
Jennifer Vallandingham
Great book. Did not want to put this one down.
Alisa
Sep 19, 2010 Alisa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
This does sound interesting......
Ken
Dec 07, 2013 Ken added it
False
Karla Kelly-Marsh
Karla Kelly-Marsh marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Jeanne
Jeanne marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Hilary
Hilary marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Suzy
Suzy marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Myra A. Coots
Myra A. Coots marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Pam Smith
Pam Smith marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Wit
Wit marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Mary
Mary added it
Nov 28, 2014
AmyJo Pond-Toft
AmyJo Pond-Toft marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Che Rex
Che Rex marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Monica
Monica added it
Oct 11, 2014
Hope Dee
Hope Dee marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Delete Duplicate Editions 1 19 Mar 06, 2014 03:52PM
V. J. Chambers writes about being inexplicably attracted to the dangerously alluring. Her works span mundane settings and fantastic ones. She writes about serial killers, cult leaders, werewolves, witches, for-hire assassins, zombies, space pirates, and regular everyday people.

She lives in Shepherdstown, WV, with her boyfriend Aaron and their cat Isis.

More about V.J. Chambers...
Breathless (Jason and Azazel, #1) Slow Burn (Assassins, #1) Trembling (Jason and Azazel, #2) Tortured (Jason and Azazel, #3) The Stillness in the Air (Jason and Azazel Apocalypse, #1)