Crafting with Cat Hair: Cute Handicrafts to Make with Your Cat

Crafting with Cat Hair: Cute Handicrafts to Make with Your Cat

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Got fur balls?

Are your favorite sweaters covered with cat hair? Do you love to make quirky and one-of-a-kind crafting projects? If so, then it’s time to throw away your lint roller and curl up with your kitty! Crafting with Cat Hair shows readers how to transform stray clumps of fur into soft and adorable handicrafts. From kitty tote bags and finger puppets to fluffy cat t...more
Published October 11th 2011 by Quirk Books (first published February 16th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Crafting with Cat Hair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crafting with Cat Hair

karen
are you kidding me?

AAAAARRRRRE YOOOOOU KIDDDDING MEEEE???

this is the best book ever. and i know i say shit like that a lot, because i am excitable as all hell, but seriously - what would ever be able to top this? this is a book that teaches you how to make crafts using cat hair. CAT HAIR! which is FREE! and which i already have in abundance! it is almost too easy! because i am mad poor right now, after paying my way through grad school. and relatively cheap grad school, to show you how poorly of...more
Monica!
_____________Edit 7/17/14________________

You get a bump today, Crafting with Cat Hair, in honor of the unexpected passing of a particularly stunning example of Felis Catus, namely:

You were a good cat, Spring.

________Original Post 4/6/12______________

This one, thank God, I can blame on somebody.

Samantha, this is your fault.

You were the one who suggested I read Crafting with Cat Hair: Cute Handicrafts to Make with Your Cat (which, incidentally, does not mean along with your cat but rather out of y...more
Eyehavenofilter
Why do I bother? nobody reads these but i soldier on...I THINK this book was written in all seriousness. After all the author IS Japanese and they are an incredibly crafty folk....no I am not being judgmental or racist! So shut up! I happen to love Origami. Anyway..... I've always wondered WHAT THE HELL,I could do with the kilos of cat hair that I collect off my kitties every month besides knit myself a "car-cozy".
Now I know! I can make the cutest little cat puppets in the world, or felt little...more
Oct 11, 2011 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: craft
I know a lot of people -- even fiber enthusiasts -- who are squicked by the idea of using cat or dog fur in projects. I've never really understood why -- what makes fur from a cat or a dog so fundamentally different than hair from a sheep (wool) or from a goat (cashmere) or from a rabbit (angora)? Certainly cat and dog fur isn't as well-suited to most crafting endeavors as these other fibers, but I've never heard an objection due to the utility of the fiber -- it's always emotional in nature. St...more
Shala Kerrigan
Crafting With Cat Hair : Cute Handicrafts to With Your Cat by Kaori Tsutaya and translated by Amy Hirschman is written by the author of a popular site, and is Japanese craft style in a very feline way. Using the soft hair you brush from your cat as well as store bought wool felt, you create projects for your home and as accessories for yourself.

Just so you know, I'm a cat lover since I was a kid. My very first pet in fact was a parakeet. I named my 'keet Pretty Kitty just to make sure my mom kne...more
This book was once suggested jokingly for our next read at an Interrobang Book Club meetup, and it's made some occasional subsequent appearances on the ballot, though it's never won the vote. It would definitely meet the "unique and unusual" criteria! Anyway, today I saw it in the Sunnyvale Public Library, and I figured I had to at least skim through it, even though I don't own a cat or even know anybody in close proximity who does. It's perhaps not quite as crazy as you'd think; the basic premi...more
Anna
Sep 04, 2013 Anna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013, apl
Wait, there's a book about crafting with your cat hair? Awesome.
The book was originally in Japanese, and it has retained the cuteness present in Japanese thru the translation, and of course the pictures and illustrations are cute too (ever seen a book in Japanese that wasn't cute? Me neither).
Most of the projects are with felting techniques. These are presented well with details, so they suit people who've never tried any kind of felting before.
Good techniques - now if only I got my kittehs to l...more
Carmen
Quirk Books. Who else? How you live up to your name and make me smile!

With this book you are shown how to make the puppet on the cover and there are various cat shapes inside that you can use as templates to felt into. The rest of the book is showing you ideas of things to add these things to, how to felt with cat hair, how to gather it and care for it - the finished felted item is extremely delicate and prone to falling apart if handled to much. It's not advised, for example, to wash scarves a...more
Marjorie Dawson
This book is a delight for crafters and cat lovers. It's unique slant of using your cat hair to craft might strike some as odd but the books is so well put together, clean, neat and tidy that you love it at once.

It is a delicate combination of graceful advice and fun simple crafts that are accessible and achievable by most people There are brushing and cat care tips as well as inventive and cute little projects like necklaces, brooches and little bags all well laid out and easy to understand. I...more
Heidi
I found this book at one of our local libraries and HAD to get it. Was this book for real? Yes. It was indeed. The author instructs you how to gather cat hair from your cat, keep it free from pests and odors and turn it into "cute" handicrafts. I am a cat lover. Currently I live in a home with five cats (two are mine) so a supply of cat hair would certainly not be an issue for me. Still, I can't bring myself to make any of these handicrafts. Mostly this book was amusing and I had a lot of fun sh...more
Molly
Loooove it! Come on, how is cat hair any weirder than sheep hair? Yeah, my parents haven't been able to answer that any better than with a nervous laugh when I've said it, either. Anyway. It's really more about embellishing felt crafts with felted cat hair, less of making physical things with the hair. It's fairly fragile. But I love the idea, I love the Japanese, and I was positively delighted that my library bought this. And yes, I have a box full of harvested cat hair going.
Marybeth
I was hoping that I could make my fortune with cat hair crafting, as I have two cats, one of whom is long-haired. But I don't think so. It is a cute little book, though, especially for cat-lovers. This book is unintentionally funny with many admonitions that end with the phrase "is not how a good owner should behave." I would have to be much more dedicated to the craft of felting to pursue this activity. I'll stick with wool.
Miss Jessica
Using the cat hair really isn't as gross as it initially sounds. The problem with this book is that it's really the same craft--a cute, furry cat shape--applied to different objects. A scarf, a hat, a picture frame, a box. Not enough ideas. But, of course the cats are adorable.
Margaret
Adorkable! I found this book at my library's bookshop for 50 cents. Like new! Obviously its previous owner did not appreciate it as much as I do. Brush your cat and make a finger puppet today!
Tamara
Surprisingly more charming than creepy.

The warning regarding these crafts not being appropriate for people with allergies seemed a little more than silly.
David
Jun 07, 2014 David rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: misc
Got this for my mom, since she (at least at one point) collects brushed-out cat hair in a large zip lock bag. It contains detailed instructions and the list of supplies you'll need (including cat) to create cat fur crafts, such as Kindle covers. The book is serious about its cat crafts, and it looks like they all should work as described. That doesn't keep it from being funny: "When crafting with your cat, it is important to remove hair only by gentle brushing. Do not shave your cat."

Here's a sa...more
Danielle
Oct 28, 2011 Danielle marked it as to-read
Shelves: just-fun
Too funny. I need about a dozen of these, so I can give them to all my cat loving friends.
Stephanie Dagg
You might be tempted to say "eeuuw" when you see the title of this book, but don't! It's a fabulous, hands-on crafting book with well explained, various projects of little items you can make from hair from your beloved (or otherwise) kitty. You won't have to shave it bare - the projects only require small amounts that you can obtain from brushing or a little judicious snipping if you have a long-haired cat. They're felting projects and could be carried out using other animal hair or wool rovings...more
Leenda dela Luna
Made me want to start fur-felting stuff right away.
Jenni
Ok, I admit it, I rented this ironically, fully intending to read it and make fun of it... but it was actually really cute and not nearly as ridiculous as the title might imply. For the most part, the suggested crafts are all small cat shapes made from one typical bundle of discarded hair during brushing/grooming. It seemed really reasonable, if not recycle-y, and the results were more than adorable -- no different than felted wool, truly.
swanpetal
I could not resist when I saw it on the library shelf. When I went to check out the librarian held up this book and told me that her and her colleges talk a lot about this book. I told her it looked "interesting." She laughed and said it was.

The cover is cute and the cat photos are cute. The finger puppets are tempting to make because it looks like the most fun and easy enough to do.

Does checking out this book apply that I am turning into a cat lady?

Maybe.

=^..^=
Carol Harlow
Do you love your cat? Well Quirk Books has another great how to book out that tells you step by step how to make some great little projects with a little help from your cat! I know, how clever is that! This book will walk you through step by step to make Book Covers, Portraits, finger puppets, cat toys and even tote bags all with a little fur from your cat. These crafts will surely be one of a kind treasures. Just think, all of these projects are eco~friendly!
Sara
This book shows you how to felt items with cat hair. Some cute ideas but no "real" crafts - except for the cat finger puppets, it's just embellishments. Especially not useful for me, since someone I live with is full of cat allergies.
The REAL reason to read this book is for all the adorable Japanese cats. And when I say adorable, I mean ADORABLE. This whole book is adorable, as is the writing.
Linda
I have to that this is a different crafting idea than I had ever read about. After thinking about it I decided cat hair is no different than using any other animal hair. There are some cute ideas for crafting as well as some good information on taking care of your cat. If you are looking for something a bit different in crafting this book may be just what you are looking for.
Helene
I got a newsletter from bookdepository recommending some books on quicky crafts - and this title popped up. Well, now all my christmas shopping is over and done with. Neighbourhood cats beware my shaving equipment...

Thank you Karen for a great review of this book, it is a long time since I laughed so hard..
Breanna
Yep, buying this made me a crazy cat woman. The little crafts are so cute though! I am currently saving up some kitty fur to make some stuff. I'm thinking all of my cats could use a good bath and brush ;) May as well use the fur that gets all over the house...
Kathy
Saw this at the bookstore yesterday...the perfect gift for the cat people in your life! Hilarious but also has some kinda cool crafts that could also be adapted for dog hair, bunny fur, or whatever other kind of fur inhabits your home.
Chris Mclean
Yep, I bought it and read it and in the summer will groom the cats to make crafts :)
ReadingWench
This book is for those rare hard core cat lovers and crafters. Most people throw away the hair they get off their cats. In this book however, it is used in the most interesting ways.
Alfajirikali
This was so curious, I had to take a look. The author clearly has put a great deal of effort into this project. Ultimately I found it off-putting, but I am certain it will appeal to some.