The Edge of Marriage

The Edge of Marriage

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The characters in this extraordinary debut collection fi nd themselves caught between commitment and responsibility. In one story, a wife struggles to care for her adulterous husband after a car accident. In another, a husband finds himself drawn to his wife's former lover. In language that is eloquent and precise, these stories speak to the mysteries of friendship and mar...more
Published March 15th 2010 by University of Georgia Press (first published 1999)

Books Ring Mah Bell
This was the best dollar I ever spent on a book! Although, I enjoyed it so much I feel a bit guilty for not buying it for full price. (Thank you, Catholic guilt!)

Nine stories, all of them rich, different, touching. Usually short stories leave me wanting more, or don't give me enough, in terms of character development or the story itself.

All of these are just right. Not too much, not too little. Just right.

Kaplan is a talented writer and I will be more than willing to pay full price for any of h...more
Julie Stout
If you like this quote, you'll like her writing: “John, don’t get up,” Warren says. I can tell he has just shaved that baby face of his because his skin flashes in different shades of pale. He reminds me of someone in a Victorian novel who dies after breaking a leg trying to catch a lady’s hat which has floated away in the breeze. Gallant but a little embarrassing.” From “The Edge of Marriage” by Hester Kaplan, the story is: The Spiral.

Great short stories. I find the writing impressive. Kind of...more
missy lambert
I read the first story in this collection while I was on the elliptical machine at the gym, and I was embarrassed to be all teary-eyed in public. As I read, I had to stop after each story to collect myself. The stories take even the most mundane events and deftly draw out the powerful emotions connected to them. I was very impressed.

Update: I keep going back to this collection--and it's rare for me to love a short story enough to re-read it--and I can't get over how devastating and acute these p...more
Lori
I read this book after really enjoying the author's recent novel "The Tell." Nine wonderful short stories with great detail about the nuances and joys and despairs of an average life. I love her writing style and her descriptions of some of the uglier sides of life are laugh out loud funny.
amy
Nov 18, 2008 amy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I have only made it through the first two short stories. They are beautifully written but too intense to read quickly, meaning without two week breaks between chapters. If you like having your heart tugged at --HARD--this is the book for you.
Jamie
Impressively succinct and compelling stories written with skill and honesty. A great introduction to Hester Kaplan; it served its purpose which was to either convince me to read her latest novel, or not. I will be picking it up soon.
Christi
Ever been married? Ever known a married person? There you have it: anyone would appreciate this book. Her story about the husband who loses his arm in an accident while he was cheating on his wife is absolutely heartbreaking.
NMS
Smart and generous, with an incredible eye to the things in life that actually matter. I loved this collection and wish she'd write more and more!
Cheryl
This is a book of short stories about big, difficult changes within marriages. I thought it would be depressing, but it was very interesting. It is beautifully written and the stories are all very different from one another - very different scenerios, told from various perspectives.
Jordan Freedman
Jordan Freedman marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Charles Boogaard
Charles Boogaard marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2013
Anna Starling
Anna Starling marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2013
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2013
Erik
Erik marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2013
Patty
Patty marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2013
Shemaine
Shemaine marked it as to-read
May 15, 2013
Rebecca Foster
Rebecca Foster marked it as to-read
May 13, 2013
Claudia Strassburg
Claudia Strassburg marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2013
Eileen
Eileen marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2013
Kelley Tackett
Kelley Tackett marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2013
Emmanuel Ellis
Emmanuel Ellis marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2013
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2013
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2013
Kingston Bowen
Kingston Bowen marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
I write and I teach writing, and I love to talk about books and writing. I come from a family of writers, and have seen how much publishing and book promotion has changed. I really like the ability to talk to readers through sites like Goodreads, and I'd love to hear from you.
"The Tell" is about marriage--a great interest of mine--and the limits of knowing another person. It is also about addictio...more
More about Hester Kaplan...
The Tell Kinship Theory Unravished