Start by marking “Missional: Joining God in the Neighborhood” as Want to Read:
Missional: Joining God in the Neighborhood

Missional: Joining God in the Neighborhood

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Well-known missional expert helps church leaders grapple with our changing world and equips them to impact their local communities.
Published March 1st 2011 by Baker Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Missional, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Missional

Corey
I've met the author in person and have heard and read some of his personal story. He strikes me as a failed clergyman who found a way to make a living as a guru who can go around telling people still in churches what they're doing wrong. He is good at that. He dedicates the first part of the book - and spends a good portion of the second - to explaining what churches are doing wrong. And in many respects, he's right. He also has a good handle on the cultural shifts that are happening and why the ...more
Jon Stout
Feb 09, 2015 Jon Stout rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: initiates and initiators
Recommended to Jon by: Bishop Mark Beckwith
Shelves: religion
Alan Roxburgh, the keynote speaker of our upcoming Episcopal Diocesan Convention, attempts to elaborate on the “missional” movement in the church, that is, the movement to revitalize the church by engaging the struggles and the activism of the community at large. Unfortunately the book seems to duplicate the self-centeredness and the arcane language which it sees as the problem.

Roxburgh argues that the Episcopal Church is obsessed with itself and is locked in a “language house” which is Eurocent
Jeff Free
This was my 3rd foray into the concept of a slow, radical, missional, community approach to the gospel. I love the idea and feel inspired to pursue it.

This book was about 120 pages too long (out of 190). Chapters 9 & 10 pretty much cover his thesis. Those 2 chapters are worth a read if you are interested in a solid argument for wandering out of the safe confines of your insulated religious community and seeing what the neighborhood has to teach us about Jesus.
A.L. Stumo
Good as a prophetic call to do something differently and wake up to reality. Not as good as delivery of how to join the neighborhood if not a small parish/small neighborhood church.
Richard Borrett
Been reading this book in small bites with a group of friends for some time. The general feeling is that the author makes a good point at the beginning of the book and then finds 101 ways of saying the same thing. Quite enjoyable but needlessly long.
Naomi
Great questions to help church-embedded folk join the Holy in the wider world and stop being so church-focused. Discipleship matters. Theological foundations of the work include Leslie Newbigin's work and a moderate christian Biblical read (although replicating some of the issues Pamela Eisenbaum is trying to correct in _Paul Was Not A Christian_).
Mark
Not what I thought it was going to be. Hoped it would be more practical. Read more like a textbook to me, unfortunately.
Greg
The author discusses church mission in theoretical concepts, but I was left confused on the practical application.
Denise
Hard to implement but definitely worth reading.
Kim Zimmerman
book makes you go 'hmmm'
Cathy
Cathy added it
Mar 03, 2015
Diane Curtis
Diane Curtis is currently reading it
Feb 20, 2015
Joe
Joe added it
Jan 22, 2015
Tom Lynch
Tom Lynch is currently reading it
Jan 16, 2015
Abby Prevost
Abby Prevost marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Beth Pottratz
Beth Pottratz marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Jodi
Jodi added it
Nov 01, 2014
Marj Funk
Marj Funk marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Mzwandile Lamani
Mzwandile Lamani marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Wayne Stanhope
Wayne Stanhope is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Introducing the Missional Church: What It Is, Why It Matters, How to Become One The Sky Is Falling: Leaders Lost in Transition The Missionary Congregation, Leadership, and Liminality Reaching a New Generation: Strategies for Tomorrow's Church Missional Leader: Equipping Your Church to Reach a Changing World