Encountering the Chinese: A Modern Country, an Ancient Culture

Encountering the Chinese: A Modern Country, an Ancient Culture

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Decode Chinese values and cultural norms while identifying cross-cultural factors that often lead to failed business negotiations with Encountering the Chinese. In this third edition, the advice and recommended skills enable Westerners and the Chinese to establish more effective and rewarding relationships, both inside and outside of the People's Republic of China.
Published December 15th 2010 by Intercultural Press (first published May 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Encountering the Chinese, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encountering the Chinese

Erin
I was giving a presentation on the differences between the American educational system and the Chinese educational system. I was able to include my experiences living in China, but wanted some other source material. I found this book to be very useful in describing some important cultural differences.

For example, plaigrism is not a concern in China because students are expected to repeat what they are taught in class. In fact, copying large amounts of text from someone else is considered to be g...more
Jennie
I read this before going to live in China, and found it very straightforward, sensitive, and extremely helpful. I had no idea how polar-opposite eastern and western cultures could be until I arrived, but having read this book I was prepared for a lot of what I encountered and was more understanding- even if adjusting was still difficult.
Garrett
This is a fantastic book for any person who will be interacting with Chinese nationals, especially in a business environment, or living in China. The author presents a very well-thought out explanation of Chinese culture as well as tips and pointers for Westerners.
Jessica
A huge asset to anyone thinking of living in China. The insights contained in this book will really help me avoid some of the awkwardness incurred by a cultural shift.
Gregory Kaplan
Good use of scholarly sources and firsthand accounts. Like most "culturalist" descriptions, though, one wonders how accurate most of the generalizations are.
M
I could cut and paste the essay I had to write about it, but that would be boring. If you have to read this, you have my sympathy.
Adonis Aubin
Adonis Aubin marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Naomi
Naomi added it
Aug 28, 2014
Chandler Grigg
Chandler Grigg marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Aleta of the Misty Isles
Aleta of the Misty Isles marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Alejandra
Alejandra marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Bernie Hirsch
Bernie Hirsch marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Min Nam
Min Nam marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Diego
Diego marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Natalia Toronchuk
Natalia Toronchuk marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Ryan K Alford
Ryan K Alford marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2013
Kaykay's Bowtique
Kaykay's Bowtique marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2013