Start by marking “The Secret Country” as Want to Read:
The Secret Country

The Secret Country (Eidolon #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  269 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Ben wants a Mongolian Fighting Fish more than anything. But when he goes to Mr. Dodds's Pet Emporium with his hard-earned savings, he buys a cat instead. He doesn't have a choice, really. The cat insists.

Iggy (as the tabby likes to be called) has been kidnapped from his home, a parallel world known as the Secret Country. And as the two soon discover, Iggy is not the only
Published May 8th 2007 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Country

Loralee
This is very cute! I don't read as many MG novels anymore as YA, but this one had a good plot and characters, and painted a well-detailed, enjoyable picture both of an English town and the secret magical world it connects to. The boy Ben is a great character, both when he's saving to buy the Mongolian fighting fish, when a cat in the pet store starts speaking to him, when he has to explain why he showed up at home with no new fish pets, when he's dealing with his horrible relatives, and when he' ...more
Sensitivemuse
I’m biased. The moment I read that there’s a talking cat, me being a cat lover, immediately picked this book up. Iggy also happens to be a wonderful character to read so that was an instant bonus.

This was a great fantasy read, and I enjoyed the adventure Ben went through. There was plenty of fantastical magic and action to keep the reader engaged, and the characters are well written and memorable. The pace is great and is steady and although the story might not be that original, and the plot it
Anne Holly
On a scale from awful to excellent, this book was a meh, I think. The writing/editing seems fine, but everything feels fairly retreaded. Part of the post-Harry Potter boom of books featuring someone who suddenly discovers "Hey! I'm special, after all!" and then must save the world, etc, etc. A fair amount of references to other fantasy classics throughout. I read it through, quite quickly, and I think it will be suitable to read aloud to my son if he ever asks, but, though the book tried hard to ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Carrie Spellman for TeensReadToo.com

All Ben Arnold wants in life are Mongolian Fighting Fish. The day he walks into Mr. Dodds's Pet Emporium with enough money to buy them should be the best day of his life. Except that he walks out with a cat. It's not really his fault. After all, the cat made him do it.

Ignatius Sorvo Coromandel, Iggy for short, also known as the Wanderer, has quite a story for Ben. He is from another world, a world called Eidolon. A world full of exotic, mythical,
Kailey
I expected a lot from this author, since they are a Tolkien expert and one of J.K.Rowling's editors, but I was disappointed. The plot is predictable and slow, the characters one-dimensional, and the writing nothing special. I think if I were 10 years old, I would enjoy this book, but you know what they say.... "A children's book that is only enjoyed by children is not a good children's book."
Rebecca Stonehill
This was about a talking cat with a nickname Iggy and a boy called Ben. He's the boy who helps Iggy get back into Eidolon, the other world. They have to go to a park then there's a tall stone with the word 'Eidolon' and they had to go round the side and jump into the hole. There's an evil person in it as well called Dodman! This was a good book.

(Review my Maya, age 8, Rebecca's daughter)
Carissa
maybe i’m getting jaded from reading books in which the character is an everyday joe/jane who learns that he/she is, in fact, someone special. in this series, ben goes to a pet store to buy some “mongolian fighting fish” he’s been saving for and instead finds himself purchasing a talking cat. and that’s just the beginning. in short order, he also rescues a wood sprite and a selkie then they find the magical portal to eidolon–the secret country. i’ve heard so much about this series–keep reading a ...more
Ginnie
Wwmrsweasleydo
There's nothing special about this book, but there's nothing wrong with it either. If your 8 year-old likes stories which mix realism and fantasy then they will probably enjoy this one. They'd probably enjoy Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl or Skullduggery Pleasant more, though. It's better than The Box of Delights or Narnia, though.
Outis
Der Sprecher macht seine Sache wirklich gut, auch wenn ich im ersten Moment irritiert war, dass Dr. Wilson (House m.d.) mir ein Fantasybuch für junge Erwachsene vorliest :)
Die Geschichte ist schön; kein Überflieger, aber man kann ihr sehr gut folgen.
Meinem büchermuffeligem Freund hat es auch gefallen. Er hat sogar nachgefragt, wann wir weiterhören, weil er neugierig war :).
Ich denke, die beiden Fortsetzungen werde ich mir dann auch bei Gelegenheit gönnen.

(Aber einschlafen kann man dabei trotzde
Clara
A book with thrilling adventure!
Heather
Jun 12, 2008 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: older elementary kids and above
Fun book. I didn't think I could read it when I found that a talking cat took a major role in the story. However, I really wanted to find out what came next. It's for kids and it has several words like "minion", that are great for increasing a child's vocabulary. I read it to approve it for my 7 yr old who reads on a higher level than his grade and felt the content was intriguing and not too violent for him. He loved it and read the second book. I have a different opinon of that one...
Far
While the story was engaging enough (albeit a little unoriginal), this lost stars mostly because the author appears to be showing off with her unnecessary use of vocabulary that would be difficult for the target audience of the book.

The characters had tongue-twister names too which made it annoying to read out aloud, which we did for our child. We ended up shortening everything and having to re-adjust vocab to suit.

Campbell Scollo
When Ben goes to buy the fish that he's been saving up for he ends up walking out the pet store with a cat… who just happens to call its self the wanderer but "you can call me iggy" he proclaims to ben because of course all things talk.
Soon after rescuing iggy from the pet store he discovers all is not what it seems with another world living right next door
Cindy
I really enjoyed this book. I know it had the whole boy finds he's royalty theme to it but it seemed to be very creative. The writing wasn't the world's greatest but it wasn't sucky. I did love the fact that it wasn't the sterotypical fantasy book and some of the themes you could tell took time to think out. I can't wait to read more of this series.
Brian
A good fantasy about a young boy, a talking cat, and a parallel world of magic. It's somewhat traditional (there are many other gateway fantasy books like it), but Johnson is a good "world-builder," and her story is exciting. I particularly liked the evil character portrayed as the Egyptian god of the dead, Anubis.
King Haddock
This was very much a typical fantasy novel, one that failed to capture my imagination because it seemed so typical. The characters and dialogue seemed very flat, the landscape unextraordinary - or at least so in its description.

I have not read any of the other books in the Eidolon Chronicles.
Melissa
Again with the talking animals... Ick.

There's only two exceptions to the whole "books with talking animals suck" proposition: The Art of Racing in the Rain (although Enzo really doesn't talk, it comes from his POV, so basically, same difference) and children's books.
Matthew
This was a great book. Unfortunately, it didn't have enough audience to make it's sequel equally available. I really liked the book, was ready for book two and was completely flabbergasted when it never hit my local bookstore shelves.
Cheryl
a talking cat begins Ben's adventure into an alternate world that connects to his world. Ben encounters magical creatures in the real world. He discovers that his mother come from the world of magic.
Jul 22, 2013 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
It's pretty Harry Potter-esque, but the kids were totally OK with that. Nine year old quickly found the sequel and read it in 2 days because she didn't want to wait for me to read it to her.
Shanlie
This series has an interesting premise, but after reading so many similar books recently, this just wasn't nearly as great. Still... it wasn't terrible, I'll read the next one.
Clarissa
Oct 04, 2007 Clarissa marked it as to-read
It is only now that I realize that the quote on the front cover which says: "Reminiscent of C. S. Lewis's Narnia Stories" has no attribution. I may not finish this one...
Nimue
+ kids, pets, magical country, villain uncle
+ illustrations

- a little too predictable (basically its for kids till age 13)

Zachary
Amazing in the highest way. Food for the passionate reader.
It shows that we all have to our job to help the world.
Shelley
Had cute moments, but flat dialogue and generally poor writing. Could have been a lot more fun, but wasn't.
topitmunkeydog
SHOOT THIS USD TO BE MY FAVORITE BOOK I THINK IM GOING TO NEED TO READ IT AGAIN THOUHH
Jenn
This was a fun easy read. Can't wait to read the next book.
Shruti
I think this book shuold be only for fantasy fans.
Tim
Loved this book and its originality and it was great!!!
  • The Dragon in the Volcano (Dragon Keepers #4)
  • Pure Dead Batty (Pure Dead #5)
  • Odysseus in the Serpent Maze (Young Heroes, #1)
  • Toad Heaven (Toad, #2)
  • Water Thief (Universal Companions, #1)
  • The 13th Horseman (Afterworlds, #1)
  • The Thief and the Beanstalk (Further Tales Adventures, #1)
  • Magical Mischief
  • The Little Secret
  • Shadow Spell (Seven Sorcerers #2)
  • Measle and the Wrathmonk
  • Dragon Cauldron
  • Samuel Blink and the Forbidden Forest
  • The Fairies of Nutfolk Wood
  • The Flower Fairies (Fairy Realm, #2)
  • Anatopsis
  • Pirate Wars (The Wave Walkers, #3)
  • The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle
aka Jude Fisher, Gabriel King (with M. John Harrison)

Jane Johnson is from Cornwall and has worked in the book industry for 20 years, as a bookseller, publisher and writer.

She was responsible for publishing the works of J R R Tolkien during the 1980s and 1990s and worked on Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movie trilogy, spending many months in New Zealand with cast and crew. Under the pseudonym o
More about Jane Johnson...

Eidolon (3 books)
  • The Shadow World (The Eidolon Chronicles)
  • El Fuego Del Dragon (Eidolon, #3)
The Tenth Gift The Salt Road The Sultan's Wife The Shadow World (The Eidolon Chronicles) Legends of the Shadow World (Eidolon, #1-3)