Start by marking “When I Am Playing with My Cat, How Do I Know That She Is Not Playing with Me?: Montaigne and Being in Touch with Life” as Want to Read:

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  20 reviews

“When I dance, I dance; when I sleep, I sleep. And when I
am walking alone in a beautiful orchard, if my thoughts
are sometimes preoccupied elsewhere, the rest of the time I
bring them back to the walk, to the orchard, to the sweetness
of this solitude, and to me.”
Montaigne

In the year 1570, at the age of thirty-seven, Michel de Montaigne gave up his job as a magistrate and re

Published (first published January 1st 2011)

Be the first to ask a question about When I Am Playing with My Cat, How Do I Know That She Is Not Playing with Me?

Lisa
It's a cliche, but I sometimes judge a book by its cover. This one offers a clever design with the words "Cat" and "...Being in Touch with Life" in the title. I'm an almost single girl with three cats, trudging through the rough terrain of chronic illness and divorce. Like the cats, the book was coming home with me.

Self-help books are anathema to me. I'm sure they help many people; unfortunately, dusty stacks of said books purchased by my thrice-married mother left an indelible impression. Monta
Lauren Albert
I am a sucker for a few kinds of books--books about Montaigne are one of them. The problem is that it can get hard to say anything new or to say the same things in new enough ways to make them interesting. I think this would be a wonderful introduction to Montaigne for someone who hasn't read about him before. I think I couldn't do the book justice, especially having just recently read yet another book on him (Bakewell's "How to Live). But Frampton writes well and makes one want to read (or re-r ...more
Elizabeth Hauke
I was inexplicably drawn to this book in Barnes and Noble, Union Square, New York. I'd never read anything about Montaigne before, before I have to admit that I am overly receptive to pretty covers, and attractive bindings. This is a lovely soft-covered book that is a joy to hold, and that probably got me to open the cover and look inside.

Flicking through the pages, and deciding whether to invest in this book or not, I was drawn to the personable text and containing nature of the narrative. I'm
Glenys
After thoroughly enjoying Sarah Bakewell's 'How to Live? A life of Montaigne in one question and twenty attempts at an answer' (q.v.)I'm on a Montaigne spree, and this book is another quite recent account of him. I like it but compared to the lively and engaging Bakewell book, it's a bit clunky and reads like a PhD thesis that has been edited for a general readership.

In fact, I think it is.

However, it is quite readable and he brings out different facets of Montaigne that the Bakewell book does
Emma Bolden
It took me a million years to read this, but it was really remarkably good. I was too young the first time I read Montaigne and I didn't appreciate him. Now, I'm planning to re-read all of Montaigne.
Could have used more velociraptors.
Sara
Nel complesso un po' noioso, non so se dipenda da Frampton o da Montaigne..
Ignacio Irulegui
Un escritor, muchos temas. Montaigne parece no haber dejado materia sin tratar en sus Ensayos y aquí, Saul Frampton recorre varios tópicos montaigneanos para componer una visión bastante integral del autor francés. Los puntos tratados son los mismo de siempre (aquellos que solemos encontrar en otras publicaciones, como el estupendo Cómo vivir de Sarah Bakewell): la amistad, la guerra, el amor y el sexo, cuerpo y sus vicisitudes, la conciencia, la moral, el viaje, etc. Pero Frampton no se detiene ...more
Vinícius
Bem trabalhado. Mostra a humanidade vulgar de um grande intelecto humanista, sem recorrer a proselitismos baratos ou rebaixa-lo por mostra-lo em sua forma mais simplista. Tanto a obra, que tornou-se "forma" posteriormente, ou o autor, que é deleitoso em mostra-se empenhado em tornar-se eterno. Almenos uma parte de Mongtaine deveremos obter, e sempre que necessário a ele recorrer.
Frank
A good introduction to Montaigne. My only real gripe is that the book desperately needed a better editor. Frampton has a horrid habit of starting paragraphs with the word but, sometimes multiple times in a row, and in a few instances starting entire sections this way.
Marc
I picked up this book while visiting London, and it became one of the little joys of that trip. Intrigued by the title and the words "being in touch with life" in the title, I enjoyed this introduction to Montaigne. His approach to life and living were welcome thoughts I embraced and soaked up when I read the book in 2011. "Living happily...is the source of human contentment." Also, I found reading about Montaigne's influence on Shakespeare to be enlightening.
Frank Hemmes
The book is in essence an introduction to Montaigne. Frampton certainly provides an interesting and by times humorous backstory to Montaigne's writings, but without having read the actual Essays, it feels it is not possible to completely enjoy this book. However, as an advertisement for the Essays, it works quite well, not in the least because of the warm warm and personel depiction of Montaigne that Frampton provides.
Trish Graboske
These essays about Montaigne cover a HORRIFIC time of religious wars, plague, famine, and unrest, but Montaigne was an amazing person, who nevertheless relentlessly studied life and studied himself. Author points out that Shakespeare devoured Montaigne's writing, which had a huge effect on his plays. Really interesting. Also the "body arranging" in Renaissance art is intriguing.
Alexandre
Mesmo tendo lido os Ensaios de Montaigne li este livro que, a princípio, parecia apenas destinado a novos leitores. Ainda assim, fiquei muito impressionado com a paixão de Saul Frampton pelo autor, pela contextualização que em partes desconhecia. Li com muito entusiasmo. É um ótimo livro.
Andrew
Picked this up on a whim as it turns out, serendipitously. Frampton does a great job pitting Montaigne against Descartes, the Stoics and religious hard-liners of the time. A great intro study in a compelling worldview.
Desislava Walsh
A good book, no doubt, but nowhere near the level of Sarah Bakewell's 'How to Live'. Still, very readable and enjoyable.
Lori
Good book, nice introduction to Montaigne; blends biographical information with excerpts fro Montaigne's essay.
Peter
The best guide to Montaigne's works. It was about time someone paid attention to the value of Montaigne in these times
Tanja
Really enjoyed this and now with that great introduction, I want to read Montaigne's actual essays.
Raymond Rose
Perfect primer for the mountain that is Montaigne.
Dorinda
Can't go wrong with Montaigne!
Leeanne
Leeanne marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Will Jones
Will Jones marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Gerry Kingham
Gerry Kingham is currently reading it
Jan 08, 2015
Testadipalla
Testadipalla marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Brainx
Brainx marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Steven Pautz
Steven Pautz marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Robert Heckner
Robert Heckner marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Rachel Thompson
Rachel Thompson marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Jon
Jon added it
Nov 19, 2014
  • Montaigne
  • How to Live: A Life of Montaigne in One Question and Twenty Attempts at An Answer
  • What's It All About?: Philosophy and the Meaning of Life
  • Death Sentences
  • Die Kunst des klugen Handelns, 52 Irrwege, die Sie besser anderen überlassen
  • Sense and Non-Sense
  • The Writings of John Lennon
Montaigne'in Kedisi: Ben Kedimle Oynarken Onun Benimle Oynamadığını Nereden Bileyim? Il gatto di Montaigne (Guanda Saggi)