Start by marking “The Man Who Didn't Wash His Dishes” as Want to Read:
The Man Who Didn't Wash His Dishes

The Man Who Didn't Wash His Dishes

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  19 reviews
About this Scholastic Blue Ribbon Book: If you don't wash your dishes and you don't wash you dishes and you don't wash your dishes AND you don't wash your day you might have to use a soap dish for a dish. Or a flowerpot. Or...what?
Readers of all ages will laugh sympathetically over Phyllis Krasilovsky's absurdly logical (and best-selling) story of a man on s
Published January 1st 1977 by Scholastic (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about The Man Who Didn't Wash His Dishes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man Who Didn't Wash His Dishes

Laura Morrigan
Nowadays, there are a lot of beautiful picture books out there, but I still appreciate the charm of the simple monochrome and duochrome picture books of my childhood. This was a simple, charmingly illustrated little story of a man who went to great lengths to never have to wash his dishes. How funny that, years later, as an adult, I still hate washing dishes!
Funny way to get a message across to kids that dishes need to be washed.
Living on my own for the first time in my adult life with a roommate and still pretending were teenagers while both working full time means doing dishes is often a battle and a real core... I found myself thinking about this book quite often and having a good laugh at ourselves... even now this book has touched my life. :D
3* art
3* story

Another one that's really too old for Squirt right now - but he liked it. I pointed out the cat in each picture, and he seemed interested. Very fun idea - who hasn't wished they could quit washing up?!!
The man who didn't was his dirty dishes was intended for children in intermediate grade levels. This story is in the genre of non- fiction. This is a story about a man who lived alone and had to do his own cooking. After eating he would be too tired to do the dishes so he'd put them off until the next day. This goes on and on ubtil he has nothing to eat off of not even the soap dish. Then a miracle happened and from then on he vowed to wash dishes after every meal. I gave this book 4 stars becau ...more
I remember thinking of this story when I was a kid and my parents made me do the dishes :-P
Aug 27, 2008 Chris rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Me
Recommended to Chris by: Other Half
Funny read aloud story for younger children
Mar 25, 2008 Karen rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Who, me?
Shelves: fiction, childrens
I had mixed feelings about this as a child. On the one hand, I saw it for the parent-established propaganda that it was. On the other hand, I did feel guilty about not doing my dishes. Finally, it made me really want to not wash any dishes just so I could see them pile up and fill the whole house. Because that would be fun.

What this says about my childhood in particular and my psyche in general I will leave to you to decide.
Angela Alcorn
It's like a kids version of some of the stories from He Died with a Felafel in His Hand. Teaches you all about housework, procrastination and innovative solutions to being a lazy bum.
My husband thinks it is hilarious that this was one of my favorite books as a child. But it was, so what can I say? I still love to read it to my children and I look forward to reading it to the grandkids---so there. I love a book about sue me.
Robert Ferrante
I used to check this book out at the school library every week until the school called my mom. Years later I bought a used copy since it was out of print. Great not procrastinate.
My favorite book as a child! I used to make my mom read it to me every time we went to the library. When I was older she tracked down a copy for me.
Stephanie Strebeck
One of my favorite books growing up. I can totally relate to him. Is there a moral to the story that I missed..? Doubt it.
May 02, 2011 Sarah added it
OMG! By FAR my favorite childhood book. :) I need to buy a copy ASAP!
OMG, I think this book is why I'm such a neat freak... :P
I loved this book as a kid and still have my copy.
May 31, 2008 Deborah rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of young children
A beloved book from my childhood, I was thrilled to obtain a copy to add to my small but delightful collection of children's books.
валентин marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Amar Pai
Amar Pai marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Ebony added it
Nov 10, 2015
Lisa Pope
Lisa Pope marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Jane Bell
Jane Bell marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
  • Norman the Doorman
  • Milk & Cookies
  • Socks for Supper
  • Five Minutes' Peace
  • A Dark, Dark Tale (Red Fox Picture Books)
  • But No Elephants
  • Henny Penny
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • When the Sky is Like Lace
  • The Value of Determination: Story of Helen Keller
  • More Spaghetti, I Say! (Hello Reader, Level 2)
  • Is It Red? Is It Yellow? Is It Blue?
  • Buffalo Woman
  • Would You Rather...
  • Subway Story
  • Where Is Baby's Pumpkin?
  • Harry and the Terrible Whatzit
  • Leo the Lop Tail Two
Best known for her picture books, although also the author of two young adult novels and numerous magazine and newspaper articles, some of them humorous. Krasilovsky's first two books were accepted for publication when she was nineteen and newly married. Both of them were written in response to real children. The Very Little Girl (1953) was originally a birthday card for her sister's child, and Th ...more
More about Phyllis Krasilovsky...