Dying for Justice (Detective Jackson Mystery #5)

Dying for Justice (Detective Jackson Mystery #5)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  541 ratings  ·  55 reviews

Ten years ago, Hector Vargas confessed to the cold-blooded murder of Detective Wade Jackson’s parents. Now, facing his own death, Vargas has reached out from prison to declare his innocence. Armed with the shocking new truth that dirty cops railroaded Vargas, Jackson must revisit the painful past to get justice for his parents—and jail the ruthless killer.

Meanwhile, Gina

Published March 23rd 2012 by Spellbinder Press (first published February 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dying for Justice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dying for Justice

Patricia
Clark and Evelyn Jackson were shot to death in their home eleven years ago. Detective Wade Jackson has moved beyond the horror of his parent’s murder and his estrangement from his brother Derrick. Wade and his brother inherited their parent’s home but Derrick lives there even though the house should have been sold and the proceeds divided between the two brothers. When Wade receives a letter from the man who had been convicted of the murders, old wounds are once again brought to the surface.

Hect...more
Elizabeth A.
Though Wade Jackson has by far the best clearance rate of any detective in the Eugene, Oregon Police Department, he’s never worked a cold case before, which is what he’s up against in Dying for Justice, the fifth book in author L.J. Sellers’s series featuring the detective.

A handyman who confessed to a double-murder eleven years prior retracts his statement, telling Jackson he was isolated, starved, and tortured for three days by detectives before finally breaking down and confessing just to mak...more
Kitty Bullard
Love those murder mysteries! L.J. Sellers is a great writer and this book was no exception. Gina is in a coma for two years after being hurt and when she wakes up she realizes that someone tried to murder her and make it look as though she tried to commit suicide. The entire story is a whirlwind as she joins up with Lara Evans to find out who the person is and why they did it! Pick up this book! It's a good read and one you won't be able to put down.

Kitty Bullard / Great Minds Think Aloud / http...more
Kathleen Hagen
Dying for Justice, by L. J. Sellers, b-plus, Narrated by Patrick Lawlor, Produced by Brilliance Audio, downloaded from audible.com.

After 10 years in prison, the man convicted of murdering Detective Wade Jackson's parents declares his innocence. After two years in
a coma, a woman suspected of attempted suicide awakens, claiming her ex-husband tried to kill her. Now, two of the most baffling cases facing the Violent
Crimes Unit of Eugene, Oregon, will put Jackson and his protégée, Detective Lara Eva...more
Rick
LJ Sellers writes consistently reliable--and gripping thrillers--set in Eugene, OR. This one is no exception and may perhaps be better than some of the others. I totally enjoyed it.
Howard Wand
Her books keep getting better and this one holds your interest. It gave you more info on one of Jackson’s partners, Det. Evans who proves she is quite capable. The twists and turns keep your interest and you keep trying to guess what is next as it takes off into different directions. Not sure if the sexual element was needed. The final chapter was also well done leaving the reader with questions for what might come about in the next book. When readers like the characters and the general theme it...more
Meg
Good Book!! One of a series of books about a police detective, Wade Jackson and his partner Lara Evans.

Gina woke up! Gina has been in a coma for two years, thought to be brought on by a suicide attempt, but she said it was attempted murder by her ex. Evans gets to be primary on this case, and it is her first time with all the responsibility.

Jackson's parents were murdered many years ago and the convicted murderer is dying of cancer and wants to see Jackson. He tells Jackson that he didn't murder...more
Lizzie Hayes
‘Dying For Justice’ by L.J. Sellers
Published by Spellbinder Press, 2011. ISBN 9780983213833

Gina Stahl, opens her eyes but has no idea where she is, all that comes instantly into her mind is ‘someone tried to kill me’.

When she comes to full consciousness she discovers that she is in a long-term care facility and has been in a coma for two years, following her suicide attempt. Although her brain is fuzzy Gina tells the police that she had not tried to commit suicide but that that she had been atta...more
Doug Bower
Another great book by L.J. Sellers! In this book you really see the emergence of Evans as a detective in her own right (although Jackson is still a prominent figure, he shares the spotlight in this book). In this book, Jackson re-opens and investigates the case of his parent's murders that happened 11 years ago. In addition, Evans is assigned the investigation of a woman who wakes up from a coma after 2 years and claims her ex-husband (a cop) tried to kill her. These two investigations take on l...more
April Taylor
This is the fifth and latest in the Detective Jackson series by L J Sellers. Wade Jackson an Oregon detective made his first appearance in 'The Sex Club'. I enjoyed the book and with the ease of the Kindle downloading system and also the incredibly reasonable price of just over £2 per book, I've read all of them in the space of a week. After the third, I began to sense a pattern, but Sellers must also have sensed it, because Nos 4 and 5 were much more complex.

In 'Dying for Justice', Gina wakes u...more
Marva
A woman wakes from a two year coma. Everyone thought she'd attempted suicide, but she claims something else happened. Somebody had attacked her and staged a suicide.

A condemned murderer writes an appeal to Detective Jackson to re-open the case, claiming he wasn't the murderer after all, but had been browbeaten into a confession. Can Detective Jackson put aside his feelings to find the truth of the matter? It's especially hard since the man was convicted or murdering Jackson's own parents.

My favo...more
Emily
Not one for thriller/Mystery novels I was a little shocked to find that I wanted this one and entered to win it. After reading the synopsis I was intrigued but still a little leery about whether or not it would change my feelings about the whole genre and pull me in. Timid I opened the first few pages after recieving the book and closed it once more. Still a little unsure. However it took only those few pages to make me curious. Unable to stay away I went back and began to read more. Getting pul...more
Amy
I hope I didn't pay much for this ebook. I find the writing so formulaic that I doubt I will spend much more time with it and I'm only a few chapters in. I wish Amazon had not abandoned the user lists, as I'm sure if I could see and recognize other choices the recommender has made I would be better informed whether our tastes match. The star system alone has proved very unreliable so far.
Ashland Mystery Oregon
My first LJ Sellers thriller and it won't be my last. Dying for Justice is Sellers' 5th Detective Wade Jackson mystery so there's lots of back story from earlier works to tempt me. Jackson discovers new evidence surrounding the murder of his parents and is tormented with the idea that their killer is still at large. Meanwhile, he's also working a case with Detective Lara Evans, who's a physical and emotional distraction.

Good character development, familiar local Eugene, Oregon setting and a gre...more
Stephanie
Disappointed -- this was my least favorite of the Detective Jackson series.

The series had been getting better with each book, #4 Passions of the Dead being my favorite, but this one was a let down for me. Part of the reason why I enjoyed the series is the preciseness/crispness of the writing and how they were more police procedural with little bits of the romance/personal life thrown in. Dying for Justice is more about the personal life with a bit of a mystery/crime added to enhance the info on...more
Nina
Wow! I love this series.. Had me guessing right up to the end. I am adding this author to my must read authors.
Lisa Tortorello
I really enjoyed L.J. Sellers book Dying for Justice. I especially liked the character of Detective Jackson. He was down to earth and very believable!

Lara Evans, the detective in training, gets assigned to deal with a lady who comes out of a coma after two years claiming someone tried to kill her. Meanwhile, Detective Jackson unofficially reopens the case of his murdered parents. He thought the murderer was in prison but new information has been discovered to make him believe the murderer is st...more
Sally
After two years in a coma, Gina Stahl wakes up in a long-term care facility. Attending staff inform her she had attempted suicide, however Gina remembers the events much differently. Claiming to be the victim of attempted homicide, the police are brought in to investigate.

Meanwhile, Detective Wade Jackson receives a letter from the man who confessed to killing his parents, ten years earlier. Jackson reopens his parents case and finds there are many unanswered questions from the cold case files a...more
Marti
I never would have guessed the truth!! That is just what you want in a murder mystery/thriller. L. J. Sellers has kept me up past my bedtime again with her book Dying for Justice. The main character is again Wade Jackson with his daughter, girlfriend and police people on his team, specifically Evan. They together are both investigating two murders that happened years apart. Together they work on the open case and alone Jackson works on the closed case. I feel that this book is the best of the se...more
Daniel Reyes
Even though the writing feels more mature in this one than in some of the previous books in the Detective Jackson sereis there were quite a few things I didn't entirely like in this one, like the sexual tension angle between Evans and Jackson, and Evans' starring role felt a little forced, while Jackson seemed diminished, and I don't mean physically or mentally, but more as a dominant character in the story, some of the bits about hi personal life felt more like filling than as real character gr...more
Carl
Sellers' best to date! While still a Jackson series book, the author focuses a bit more on one of his partners, Det. Evans. Still green, Evans makes some leaps in her decisions that even Jackson questions, but ultimately she proves herself to be a very capable and effective member of the team. The story held many twists and turns along the way, keeping the reader guessing. Loved the final chapter and the questions left for the reader to ponder while awaiting the next book.
Cathy Ryan
Great series, the plot lines are well crafted and interesting and the main characters are likeable and realistic with human flaws. I love the way they and their relationships are developing. The story begins with two seemingly unrelated cases which become cleverly interwoven as the investigations progress. The suspense and excitement keep going throughout and the twists take the story in a fascinating and completely unexpected direction. Heading towards 4.5 stars for this one.
Chester
Interesting plot with a couple of good twists and some neat red herrings.
The pace is fast so the contrivances, although a bit unlikely, are feasible. Wish the author didn't try to introduce a 'sexual tension' element because it seemed unnecessary. Work colleagues are work colleagues and it would have been more interesting to explore the work relationship. Barry Maitland does this well in the Kolla and Brock books.
This was a good value read at $1.99 from Kindle.
Maureen Mullis
First class mystery! I loved how Sellers switched between Jackson's pov and Detective Evans as they both follow leads on their cases that seem to overlap. As they try to put the pieces together things are brought up that reveal much about the two detectivces personalities. Much of Jackson's past is discovered in this book. A truly fascinating character.

This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. Can't wait to start the next one!
Allyson
This was another really good read from Sellers. She has the ability to draw the reader into the story and keep their attention. I really enjoyed this story, because there were recurring characters from her other stories. The reason I gave this four stars, is because of some gramatical inconsistencies that forced me to read and re-read some of the sentences again and again.
Otherwise, a great read from a great author.
Caroline Ryan
Read on Kindle
First book ive read by LJ Sellers and I loved it. Best crime book i've read in ages.Loved the plot and the several different crimes being investigated at the same time. Didnt guess the final twist in the plot. Didnt want to put down and felt i could have carried on reading the book for much longer, so i will definitely be reading more about Detective Jackson in LJ Sellers other novels. Cant wait!
Rick Schmidt
Jul 05, 2012 Rick Schmidt rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Really good murder mystery! This was my first book by L.J. Sellers but it won't be my last. I really liked how the characters were developed and seemed so real as they had faults to go with their positive points. The story kept me thinking it was one person who committed the crime but it worked out a different way (won't say more as I don't want to be the spoiler!).

Excellent book, read it today.
Paula
I just won this book on Goodreads! Can't wait to get my hands on this mystery - it sounded very intriguing! Thank you L. J. Sellers & Goodreads!
What a terrific book! I'm going to have to read more in the Detective Jackson series. I loved how the author wove two seemingly separate stories together. This is a great read for mystery and crime fans! Again, thank you Goodreads and author L. J. Sellers!
Ukgardenfiend
I have liked all the Jackson books so far, so am following the series through. Only part way through so far but looking good. Ah - now found out that I have missed part 3 of this series and so have stopped reading this and started on #3! finished both now and Ok with this series but going to give it a break for a while as need some stimulation about different and more complex characters.
Martin Ryan
Getting closer to a 4th star and a marked improvement on the 1st four books in the series but still some rough edges to some of the characters. I'm drawn by the pace LJ injects into her novels and this has a good plot with an exciting and unexpected ending. The central characters however are a bit wooden and their inter-relationships lack subtlety and depth.
  • Search for the Lost Kingdom (Eldohr Adventures, #1)
  • Trapped Nerves
  • The Devil's Hour (Laura Cardinal #3)
  • A Very Private Grave (Monastery Murders, #1)
  • Murder Half-Baked
  • The Headhunter's Daughter: A Mystery
  • Paying the Piper
  • The Fallen Angel (Nic Costa, #9)
  • The Love You Crave (Donovan Creed, #8)
  • The Wilding
  • Come and Find Me
  • Killer Colt: Murder, Disgrace, and the Making of an American Legend
  • The Reluctant Countess
  • Thicker Than Water (Leo Waterman, #7)
  • Pitch Dark
  • Family Secrets (A Cop in the Family, #1)
  • Pilgrim Soul (Douglas Brodie, #3 / Danny McRae, #3)
  • Emily Hudson
I write the bestselling Detective Jackson mystery/thriller series—a Readers Favorite award winner—as well as the Agent Dallas series and provocative standalone thrillers. My novels have been highly praised by crime fiction magazines, and I'm one of the highest ranked crime fiction authors on Amazon.

I reside in Eugene, Oregon where my many of my novels are set, and I'm also an award-winning journal...more
More about L.J. Sellers...
The Sex Club (Detective Jackson Mystery, #1) Secrets to Die For (Detective Jackson Mystery, #2) Baby Thief, The Thrilled to Death (Detective Jackson Mystery, #3) Rules of Crime (Detective Jackson Mystery, #7)