Start by marking “Ember” as Want to Read:
Ember

Ember

3.63  ·  Rating Details ·  2,283 Ratings  ·  383 Reviews
Charm is a curse. Love is a fire. This story is no fairytale.

Everyone loves Prince Charming. They have to—he’s cursed. Every man must respect him. Every woman must desire him. One look, and all is lost.

Ember would rather carve out a piece of her soul than be enslaved by passions not her own. She turns to the dark arts to save her heart and becomes the one woman in the king
Nook
Published February 24th 2011 by Bettie Sharpe (first published November 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Ember, please sign up.

Alisa The kindle edition can be purchased from Amazon for only $0.99. You can read this edition with just a web browser, you don't need a kindle device.

Navessa

BOOM. FAVORITE SHELF.

"And there you have the whole of it, the truth behind the tale of the Cinder Girl and the Charming Prince. All ended happily, but you do not seem happy to have heard it. Why not? Oh, I understand. You wanted to see heroes rewarded and villains punished. You wanted the prince to be noble and his princess to be kind.

Poor dear. I warned you this was no fairy tale."

And so ends one hell of a retelling. Bettie Sharpe takes everything you ever thought you knew about Cinderella a
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Feb 23, 2015 ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who hates fairytales, fluffy bunnies, rainbows and HEAs
Recommended to ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) by: Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠

Evil Cinderella buddy read with Robin, Jess, Catherine, Cathryn, Navessa, Kerry, Anna, Liz, Chelsea, Veronica, Carmen, Sarah, Tandie, Cathepsut & Lea. March 20, 2015.

Introducing… The Cinderella Gif Extravaganza!

I'm pretty sure this is what comes to mind when you think of dear old Cinderella:

And this:

And maybe this:

Pretty creepy huh? Yeah, I think so too. This is the stuff of nightmares *shudders* (view spoiler)
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
This novella takes the Cinderella fairy tale, turns it inside-out, throws it down and smacks it around, checks its pockets for loose change, and then gives it a sweet kiss good-bye, with one more hard pinch to the rear as it's walking out the door.

description

Ember, our Cinderella character, is red-haired and freckled, has a twisted foot and, at least according to her, is not particularly pretty. She lives in a country where the prince was blessed at birth--or rather cursed--by a fairy godmother witch, with
Khanh (the Grinch)
Warning: this is erotica. This book is FREE. You may read it here: http://www.bettiesharpe.com/ember/

I don't usually read erotica at all, but the premise of a fairy tale and Prince Charming got me intrigued. My first erotica (bought purely because my innocent 18-year old self just wanted to own a naughty book, if I may be honest) was Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty trilogy. It was titillating, and after the first 50 or so pages, it got pretty boring, quite frankly. Anyways, what I learned from readi
Robin (Bridge Four)
4.5 Naughty Novella Stars
Evil Cinderella with Sexy times and Naughty Words, how could I say no?

Buddy Read March 21 with oOSarahOo, Catherine, Jess, Navessa, Kerry, Anna, Liz, Veronica Del Rosa, Cathryn, Carmen, Tandie, Sarah, Cathepsut, Lea and Chelsea

Thread at Buddies Books and Baubles

What if Cinderella’s tale was not about a girl like this….↓
description

But was more about a girl like…↓
description

I’m tired of nice heroines that have cute creature companions. I’m ready for the witch to be the hero of her own tale.
So
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)
Buddy Read March 21 ❦ with oOSarahOo, Catherine, Jess, Navessa, Kerry, Liz, Veronica Del Rosa, Chelsea and Robin ← For now I'm waaaay too lazy to put all the links, sorry guys^^I KNOW, I'm a week late.

When it comes to fairytales, my girl's always been Belle :

While Cinderella .... Siiiiigh .... Cinderella ... Well, the girl is pretty useless, don't you think? I mean, as I said in my review of Damsel Distress, the real heroes have to be the birds, right?

Okay, maybe the mice.

But the girl? T
Milda Page Runner

Running a whorehouse was surprisingly good training for running a government.

Cheeky and mischievous – this story not only takes a piss out of erotic scenes that supposed to be ‘steamy’ it also puts an evil naughty twist into most of the known fairytales. Very sarcastic.

A wicked kind of Cinderella. I had fun :)

Recommended for readers with a good sense of humour who can appreciate a dirty joke.

P.S. there are openly erotic scenes - so adults only.
Tammy Walton Grant
Now this, [image error] this book was cool. Sly, witty, clever, with a bit'o'romance thrown in to keep folks like me happy. And a few dirty, dirty words to keep us on our toes.

This little fairy tale is told in the first person (which, although I usually don't care for, here I didn't mind a bit ). It is Ember's voice that carries the tale. And what a tale it is - a dark, sardonic and twisted version of Cinderella. I loved it! I was hooked from the opening paragraphs:

"I know you think you've hear
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
Buddy read with oOSarahOo, Robin, Catherine, Anna, Liz, Kerry, Cathryn, and Navessa.
And a bunch of seriously awesome ladies from the BBB reading group!

Read a book with magic

Ok, it's high time I review this, now that I have a little extra time. This is a 4.5 star read for me.
Yes, you heard me correctly. 4.5 stars. This little novella was awesome.

I have been going through a little bit of a reading slump lately. I've had some things going on in my personal life that have seriously cut down on my re
♡Karlyn P♡

Loved it! Ember was a wicked, dark, sensual, twisted and enthralling read.

Oh wow! A super entertaining, dark and twisted retelling of Cinderella. The writing was great, and I loved the world building and imagination that went into this story. Very clever.

The heat level is 'hot', and the author does use some crude language a few times normally reserved for erotica. (view spoiler) It worked in the context of keeping the story dark and funny, while also in pus
First read - 24th March 2015 (Group read with my pals in Buddies, Books and Baubles)
Second read - 17th November 2015

Forget everything you've ever heard about Cinderella, the true tale is nothing like the fairytale that Disney would have you believe. If you want to know what REALLY happened then look no further than Ember by Bettie Sharpe. The opening lines should give you a hint of what to expect inside these pages:

"I know you think you've heard this story before, but you're wrong. Some would ha
-Ya
Mar 23, 2015 -Ya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to -Ya by: Robin (Bridge Four)
This little novella is no fairytale. It is a twisted version of Cinderella story.

“How do you punish a man when your heart beats in his chest? How do you hurt your beloved without also hurting yourself?”

Ember is a witch. She doesn’t forgive easily, and has a taste for vengeance. Plus, she kinda repays pain with agony.

Is the story romantic? Yes and No.
Is it well-written? Yes!
If you want to read something different and weird, this is an interesting pick;)
# free online in the author’s website #kin
Karly *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)*
4 Amazeballs Stars

Once upon a time there was a sweet, beautiful and young merchant’s daughter who loved her father dearly. After the unfortunate death of her darling mother her father remarries. An awful woman, with two awful daughters who treat their new stepsister appallingly…there’s a ball, a slipper, a fairy godmother, the prince falls in love and they live happily ever after.

Or so the stories say…..

But what if they got the story wrong?

THIS IS HOW YOU DO A FAIRYTALE RETELLING!!!

Ember is a co
 Simply Sam ツ
Sooo...it's another Cinderella story. Only this time Cinderella is a slightly wicked, slightly raunchy, slightly snarky witch, her "evil" stepmother and stepsisters are actually courtesans masquerading as family, and Prince Charming is only charming because of a d-bag curse. So, yeah. Not just another Cinderella tale.

I mean, yes it was pretty predictable but it was also a pretty entertaining read . If you're like me and currently in a book slump/funk or you just need something a little fun and
Tamara
“I know you think you’ve heard this story before, but you’re wrong. Some would have it that this story begins with a virtuous virgin, a young woman of honesty and integrity sucker punched by cruel fortune and forced to sleep among the cinders while her moral inferiors lived the life which was meant to be hers. Bullshit. This is no fairytale. ’’
Enter a Cinderella re-telling with a twist.

Say goodbye to this girl:

...and prepare yourself to meet with this wicked one instead:

Say goodbye
NLMB
Jan 27, 2016 NLMB rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to NLMB by: Navessa
I loved this story! It’s an amazing retelling of the fairy tale Cinderella, but this version is not sappy or overly sweet. No, this story is a little bit darker and is full of surprises and twists. Super original and incredibly awesome.

What to love:
- It’s an easy and quick read, only 94 pages, you’ll fly through it.
- The female lead - Ember - is funny as hell, loyal, wicked and a freaking badass witch. She’s also not perfect. She is not the prettiest or the sweetest, she hold grudges and walks w
Angela
This book was incredible. I remember grabbing it because someone did an excellent job of talking it up.

I'm so glad I did.

Ember is a great character. I can't even do her justice. She's strong, knows her mind, works for what she wants, isn't afraid to sacrifice to get what she needs, loves fiercely, and she's got this awesome dark sense of humor.

The book takes on this story being told to us, in a conspiratorial whisper. Ember tells it as it happened, setting the record straight of the classic tal
Sherwood Smith
One of the (many) reasons I don't do stars is that I am unable to even pretend at objectivity.

Take this twist on Cinderella, gritty and sexy and cleverly written. I was enjoying it thoroughly until she casually mentions murdering a dog because it was howling. No! You do not kill dogs in my reading! Dog killing is bad, and sucks all the joy out of the story for me. I hate murder of the helpless, of the innocent, and dogs are a big symbol of that.

So . . . good tale, even if I saw the twist coming
Michelle
Oh wow, talk about a twisted fairy tale, no, not twisted in a sick, wrong way, twisted as in its so far and different to the normal fairy tale we're all used to, and in a damn fine good way as well! The synopsis itself drew me to it and since its a free ebook, might as well. Ember held quite a lot of promise and had a whole storyline to overturn (the tale of Cinderella), so imagine my surprise when I found it delivered, all too well. The plot was unique and different in its own way and I have to ...more
Susana
Oct 28, 2012 Susana rated it really liked it

4,5 stars

A somewhat dark and wickedly hot retelling of Cinderella...

Are you tired of the same fairy tales retellings?

If the answer is YES, then this book is for YOU...that is, if you're an adult. Are you?
Because if not, go away, and come back later...really!!

So.... this has some pretty intense scenes...with some colorful language, lol, but then one also has some pretty laughable moments ( (view spoiler)
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
This is a retelling of Cinderella, if Cinderella was a badass witch who managed her stepsisters & stepmother and frightened the neighbors.

She's more of this....

than this...

And she's her own fairy godmother, no need for outside intervention, Ember can do it all. Which is only sad when Helena Bonham Carter is your fairy godmother because I love that batshit crazy woman.

Besides the wonderfully sarcastic and evil Ember, here are some other things in the book...

There is a Prince Charming in the
Alissa
Dec 12, 2016 Alissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alissa by: Milda Page Runner
Shelves: read-ebooks
3.5 stars. I had fun with this brisk and irreverent take on the Cinderella fairytale. What if Prince Charming were a selfish, dangerous man cursed to be on the receiving end of adoration and lust? What if Cinderella were a witch who said, when she first met her step-mother, “Now that the air is clear between us, I like you just fine. My father needs a wife, and as long as you care for him and do not cuckold him with other men, we shall get along as well as he imagined.” and later, when the fathe ...more
Denisse
3.5 Cinderella retelling.
Twisted, and a bit interesting. But it felt more like a guilty pleasure, for me. Recommended for those who like retellings and aren’t looking for something memorable, just a fun, dark and quick reading.

I liked how they excused the Disney version, that was very fun.

I don’t know what to say. I liked it, I mean, it was a good reading, but I won’t remember it in a few weeks, I know that. Don’t expect quality, just entertainment and some good dark scenes every now and then.
Nadia
I like Betie Sharpe's version of Cinderella better than the actual story brothers Grimm published. I'm baffled by the low ratings, because it's a really good retelling and you'll find mentions of other popular fairytales in there too. I recommend.
Rashika (is tired)
An original spin on a age old tale

Ember is easily one of the most unique retellings I've ever had the pleasure to read. It had it's faults but the idea behind it was so refreshingly original.

Out of all the Disney princesses out there, Cinderella is my second least favorite (Snow White will always have first place on that list) because she seemed incredibly docile and her.. prince.. was well boring. For crying out loud his name was Prince Charming. And I am just putting this out there, I didn't
Casey ~Kaleidoscopic Killer of the Deep~
3.5... Awww you know what, let's go with 4 stars!

What a clever little naughty fairytale! I enjoyed this quite a bit more than I expected I would. This is a re-telling of Cinderella that kind of makes me wish this is the version I knew all along. Although, I suspect Disney would have had a hard time justifying all the sex in their animated children's classic...

Then again, maybe not... I mean I remember this one time that they...

Eh, never mind, why bring up old stuff...

This version makes Cinderell
Amy
Tadiana's review of this delightful, little novella is too, too perfect, and I'm inclined to just say "ditto" or "same" or "yaaaas" exactly! I mean seriously...What. She. Said. Really, read her review. It's as much fun as the story.

I know that's not the way this reviewing thing works, but that's what i'mma do, so...

Let me just add that the narrator's voice hit all the right notes for me. She's practical, independent, intelligent, quick to anger, and sweeter than she wants to admit she is. In ad
Tandie
Buddy read March 21

Okay, I read it and enjoyed it. The twist was obvious, but was still fun. I think the story would appeal to a much larger audience if the language was toned down a bit. Ember could still be wicked, but maybe refer to body parts & certain acts in a less crass way. YA readers would eat this up! What can I say? I'm a PG-13 to mild rated R prude-e-pants. I enjoyed the author's writing, Ember reminded me a bit of Nyx from Cruel Beauty, just the right mix of venom and kindness.
Veronica Del Rosa
I quite enjoyed this book. Ember, while she wasn't a goodie-goodie, had me cheering for her. Then again, I'm not too fond of the overly sweet tales. I like some grittiness in my stories. I'm also fond of the borderline psychos, so... :)
Overall this story held my attention and had me scrambling to find out the ending.
Cathryn
Feb 24, 2015 Cathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was so delightful. This is how you do a retelling of Cinderella. This is not your Disney Cinderella who is all nice and sweet in spite of all the crap she is put through. If you mess with Ember you get burned...literally. I can't say too much more without spoiling it but the best twist of all is the "stepmother"/"stepsisters" and I'll leave it at that.
  • Something Wicked
  • The Sevenfold Spell (Accidental Enchantments, #1)
  • Entreat Me
  • Wishing Stars: Space Opera Fairytales
  • The Undying
  • Witch Hunt
  • Honor Bound
  • Cinders
  • Beyond the Darkening
  • Cinderella Unmasked (Fairytale Fantasies #1)
  • Rebel (The Blades of the Rose, #3)
  • Cobweb Empire (Cobweb Bride Trilogy, #2)
  • Big Beautiful Witches: I Married a Warlock
  • Jackalope Wives
  • The Horrid Glory of Its Wings
  • Unlocked (Turner, #1.5)
  • Silver Birch, Blood Moon
  • Camille (Camille, #1)
Bettie Sharpe is a Los Angeles native with a fondness for hot weather, classic cars, and air so thick it sticks in your teeth. When she's not busy attempting to metabolize smog into oxygen, she enjoys romance novels, action movies, comic books, video games, and every other entertainment product her teachers said would rot her brain. She loves to write almost as much as she loves to read. As a chil ...more
More about Bettie Sharpe...

“Sometimes, we need little lies to save our pride. And sometimes we need big lies to save our souls.” 20 likes
“Some would say it is madness to want a woman this way,
but I think it must be love. Not the tepid, fickle love of which the
poets sing—the love that forms or fades with kindness or cruelty.
No, this love is something more divine—like the love of a god, both
vengeful and benign. It is as constant as the sea. And as beautiful.

As dangerous. As mysterious.

She is the only woman to ever refuse me. And yet, I want…”
19 likes