Start by marking “Graduate Admissions Essays: Write Your Way into the Graduate School of Your Choice” as Want to Read:

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Veteran higher-education consultant Donald Asher demystifies the graduate school application process and offers a detailed action plan that has proved successful for some of the most competitive programs in the country. The 50 sample essays-selected from thousands of candidates-showcase the best of the best, while the Essay Hall of Shame identifies common pitfalls to avoid ...more
Published March 1st 2004 by Ten Speed Press (first published March 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Graduate Admissions Essays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Graduate Admissions Essays

Oct 14, 2007 Lilias added it
Recommends it for: anyone & everyone applying to grad school
Shelves: non-fiction
About the 3 star rating: I rate the books according to how much I enjoyed them, and to stay that "I liked it" is a pretty big deal for this kind of book. Especially given the facts that I had to bribe myself with many cups of hot chocolate as well as threaten myself with somber predictions of the future in order to get myself to read it. Besides, 3 stars isn't such a bad rating.

As I said above: I recommend this book to anyone and everyone that is applying to graduate school. Even if you've alrea
Enjoying a break from reading actual admissions essays this spring (during sabbatical), I couldn't resist reading up on what advice the students are getting about how to write them. Pretty solid stuff on essay writing, with numerous examples included and useful commentary in the margins re what makes them good essays.

Includes a chapter on securing letters of reference that I'm glad my students seem not to have read or at least not taken to heart -- interrogate the recommender regarding what s/he
Some of the speech was a little elitist, but if it's for grad school, then I guess it's fitting. The author provides very helpful tips. If once I was lost, this book got me found. I credit this book for giving me that extra push to get into a Master's Library Science program, and hopefully I'll be admitted to a couple more before the year is up.
This book explains why it is important to go to grad school, who should go, how you should plan your application process, and of course it guides you through writing your essay.

I think one thing many may overlook is the fact the book covers a lot beyond just essays. It addresses issues like communications with the faculty and department before you apply, while the application is being reviewed, and discussions you should have with your recommendation writers. This book covers many, many useful t
I tried using this for essays a couple of times. My professors tore apart each essay I wrote using this as an instruction manual. Ones that I just wrote from the heart turned out great and I was accepted. Ditch this book and move on.
this book is an essential. but do not buy the kindle version because, as with any text on a screen, it's quite hard to take in page to page.
I'm not rating this because I didn't actually sit down and read the whole thing, just perished mostly. I will say there seems to be the odd assumptions on recommender advice. I already had mine picked, but he seems to assume students go back to grad school right after undergrad which isn't always the case. Mostly I found the essays helpful in getting me in the write frame of writing style and also gave me some interesting ideas on how to open up the essay and avoid the more formulaic tendencies, ...more
This book was a good jumping off point for me to begin the application essay writing process. The samples that were provided were great, even though only one or two directly related to programs that I was applying for. I reread parts of the book several times while I was writing and rewriting my essays, and I think that it served me well. It was a good text to get the thought process moving. And I was accepted to top master's programs in my field, so I would say it helped!
Feb 19, 2013 Luisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
This book gave some good ideas for writing strong admissions essays. The sections with different tips for applying to different types of programs were very helpful. A lot of the book focuses on how to research different programs and find ones that are right for you, so if you've already identified the schools you're applying to, those parts won't be relevant, but there's still a lot of good stuff in here.
Jovia Nierenberg
Excellent explanation of the graduate admissions process and the strategies one can use to get in. Writing exercises prior to working on the first draft of the essay are helpful. Worth every penny for anyone applying to grad school.
This is a great book! It has great writing exercises to help you start brainstorming for your personal statement. I recommend this to anyone when they ask for advice writing a personal statement for any program.
I still have to finish writing my personal statement, but this book (I have the 1991 edition) helped me get started. Probably the most helpful are the examples of essays in the back of the book.
Great ideas and prep to write a unique and stand-out personal statement and essay for grad school.
provides some good prompts for preparing to write an essay or personal statement
Practical and do-able advice for applying to a variety of graduate programs.
Dan Gorman
Invaluable resource for applying to grad school.
Jade Anthony
Mar 18, 2007 Jade Anthony rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Grad School & Fellowship Applicants
Shelves: grad_school
Worked for me!
Katie marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Jueli Mone Aung
Jueli Mone Aung marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Yogya Hari Prakash Burra
Yogya Hari Prakash Burra marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Julie Shuff
Julie Shuff is currently reading it
Nov 07, 2015
Daniel marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Meena marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Getting What You Came For: The Smart Student's Guide to Earning an M.A. or a Ph.D.
  • Barron's GRE 2008 (Barron's How to Prepare for the Gre: Graduate Record Examination (Book Only))
  • Longman Preparation Course for the TOEFL Test: Student Book and CD-ROM with Answer Key: The Next Generation
  • Writing Your Journal Article in 12 Weeks: A Guide to Academic Publishing Success
  • Description
  • TOEFL iBT: The Official ETS Study Guide (McGraw-Hill's TOEFL iBT)
  • Can the subaltern speak? : Postkolonialität und subalterne Artikulation
  • A Field Guide for Science Writers: The Official Guide of the National Association of Science Writers
  • If They Give You Lined Paper, Write Sideways.
  • Dialogue: Techniques and exercises for crafting effective dialogue
  • Write Your Dissertation in Fifteen Minutes a Day
  • Surviving Your Stupid, Stupid Decision to Go to Grad School
  • Small Scale Grain Raising: An Organic Guide to Growing, Processing, and Using Nutritious Whole Grains, for Home Gardeners and Local Farmers
  • Cracking the GMAT with DVD, 2008 Edition (Graduate School Test Preparation)
  • The Complete Compost Gardening Guide: Banner Batches, Grow Heaps, Comforter Compost, and Other Amazing Techniques for Saving Time and Money, and Producing the Most Flavorful, Nutritious Vegetables Ever
  • Feminist Theory: The Intellectual Traditions
  • Radar, Hula Hoops, and Playful Pigs: 67 Digestible Commentaries on the Fascinating Chemistry of Everyday Life
  • Professing Literature: An Institutional History