Solis

Solis

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Mr. Charlie is a brain without a body, revived after being frozen for a thousand years.

Charlie Outis has no idea of what the world might be like in the far future after he decides to have his brain frozen with the slim hope of it being revived one day.

But even a thousand years from now, brains are a valuable commodity—even brains without heads. But who does the brain belon...more
Published February 21st 2011 by Phoenix Pick (first published 1994)

Ron
Cute. A fun read. Light stuff. A short story puffed into a novel, but fun nonetheless. Reads like an older generation of SF--says 1970s.

I figured someone was a Maat. I just guessed wrong.
Jeff Miller
There was much to like about this book that started with a strong premise. A man has had his brain cryogenically frozen to hope to see the future and the progress that has been made. Things don't go a planned as he becomes property and used by different fractions in a world that is not what he expected.

There is a kind of parallelism to the Wizard of Oz in that grouped with others who all have some problem they seek a city that will take them in and give them what they need. In fact the main char...more
Matthew
To say that this book is odd would be an understatement. Following a brain in a jar, or "wetware," it shows an interesting look at humanity's future. With much genetic manipulation, organic computers made of human brains, and a rogue Martian colony, Attanasio puts forward some interesting ideas about what humans may become and how they may lose themselves to their technology. While the ideas expressed inside this book are interesting, the pace of the novel is unfortunate. Starting out strong wit...more
David
The book provides some interesting ideas on future tech, views of possible future societies, raises questions about personhood & consciousness, and does so in a reasonably hard SF framework.

The societies we see don't tend to be so appealing. The conclusion of the book rests more on the good guys / bad guys thread of the book than the above elements which interested me more. But as you can see, I still felt it deserved a good rating and would recommend it to those who want more than space adv...more
John
Interesting story about a man who dies during our times and his brain is cryogenically frozen and he wakes up in the far distant future and his brain is the CPU of a mining station orbiting in the adteroid belt and his further adventures and quest to become whole again. He send a message for help the only way he know s how with Radio waves and an android heres him and comes to his rescue. BTW, radio waves are no longer used anymore for human communication. Very fun I have read it twice.
Steven
This is an amazing book. It is a true SciFi story, exploring the human psyche and the meaning of what being a human is, presented in crisply described potential future. The author has a prodigious vocabulary and a mastery of the written word.
However, you may find yourself wondering why he seems to be rushing the story at the end, as I did and some other reviewers on here have. Given all that I still recommend the book.
Libby Bacon
Solis is an amazing Sci-Fi book. Set in the distant future, brains are harvested from Cryogenic Dumps on Earth and used illegally to operate machinery at a mine on an asteroid belt. The Main character (brain) manages to send out a cry for help using archaic radio waves. And the adventure begins. Attanasio paints a vivid and bizarre world.
Nathan Shumate
As always, Attanasio's incredible diction is a two-edged sword, dazzling the reader with a command over vocabulary that's almost scary but distancing us somewhat from the meat of the narrative. I think someone needs to take an Attanasio novel and arrange the text on the page as free verse.
Philip Athans
Solis is everything you can hope for from a great science fiction novel: a brilliant mix of action/adventure and big ideas/cutting-edge tech. A.A. Attanasio is a writer's writer, using language in surprising, beautiful ways. Bravo.
Roberta
An interesting book set in the future about a brain awoken more than one thousand years after his death. He decided to congeal his brain for curiosity but I find himself in a world where he has not anymore right.
Rich Zowaski
I found this book fascinating and in interesting concept. I would have liked to have seen a bit more romantic interaction between Me. Charlie and Mei but it is what it is and it was a great read. Highly recommended it!
Rick
A man arranges to have his brain frozen after his death. This is the story of what happens when he is 'awoken' 1000 years later. Begs the question: does he own his brain, since he is legally dead?
Chet
A frozen brain is re-awakened in the far future starting an adventure, raising some questions of ethics, and pointing out that freezing ourselves for the future is risky.
Jake
Some of the universe of the Radix books, but not.
Halina
Halina marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Sylvie Dale
Sylvie Dale marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Ryan
Ryan added it
Dec 14, 2013
David
David marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
I’m a novelist and student of the imagination living in Honolulu. Fantasies, visions, hallucinations or whatever we call those irrational powers that illuminate our inner life fascinate me. I’m particularly intrigued by the creative intelligence that scripts our dreams. And I love carrying this soulful energy outside my mind, into the one form that most precisely defines who we are: story.
More about A.A. Attanasio...
The Dragon and the Unicorn (Arthor, #1) Radix (Radix, #1) The Eagle and the Sword (Arthor, #2) The Wolf and the Crown (Arthor, #3) Wyvern