Start by marking “My Dog Thinks I'm A Genius” as Want to Read:
My Dog Thinks I'm A Genius

My Dog Thinks I'm A Genius

Louie loves watching his young master paint, and when the boy puts his finishing touches on a particularly good self-portrait, Louie barks enthusiastically. One day, when the boy is at school, Louie tries his own paw at painting a still life. Is this purely an accident, or is Louie a "genius," just like his master?
Published September 13th 2011 by Blue Apple Books

To ask other readers questions about My Dog Thinks I'm A Genius, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Dog Thinks I'm A Genius

Noel
Feb 18, 2017 Noel rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My appreciation for the story grew after reading the tribute to the inspiration.

Dustin Roberts
Feb 08, 2012 Dustin Roberts rated it really liked it
A lovely book illustrated by Barroux about inspiration, art, and companionship. A young boy loves to paint everyday and has since he was five years old. Working on his latest painting, with help from his best friend and dog Louie, the boy puts the final touches on by adding Louie to the painting. In excitement Louie runs around the room barking, wagging, and kissing the boy. The boy titles his painting "My Dog Thinks I'm A Genius." One day when the boy returns from school he does not see Louie i ...more
Gaele
May 09, 2013 Gaele rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edelweiss
I am a huge proponent of books that both teach and entertain - and My Dog Thinks I'm a Genius does just that. With the decrease in art education, children are not provided as many opportunities to be exposed to masters and the joy that can be had in art. The illustrations are lovely, bright splashes of color that bring a walk through a modern art museum feel.

The inclusion of the Cezanne and the use of similar tones and colors throughout the story, as well as a short biography of the painter are
Traci Bold
Oct 14, 2015 Traci Bold rated it really liked it
I have always been a fan of Harriet Ziefert's writing. Her picture books are classics in my opinion.

'My Dog Thinks I'm a Genius' will be a classic too. When a little boy goes off to school, his best friend, his dog, Louie, is sad and a little angry that his boy has to leave him.

Well, Louie gave his boy tips on the boy's artistry and was really wanting to give more when the boy had to go to school.

The boy feels bad about leaving his beloved Louie but is in for a surprise when he gets home.

I lov
Karen
Feb 27, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week. He thinks that his dog thinks he's a genius.

The book is very good, although not quite perfect. I love the concept: a boy, his dog, and artwork, but the pivot point is a little weak, so it actually feels like two shorter stories put together.

I have no complaints about the artwork those. It is absolutely wonderful, and I would love to live in a house where I was surrounded by that artwork.

Actual rating: 3.5 stars, but I round
Erin
Jul 08, 2014 Erin rated it liked it
A boy loves to paint. He paints for years and years with his dog watching him. One day, he paints a picture of a building with his dog at the bottom of it. The dog loves it so much that the boy calls the painting, "My Dog Thinks I'm a Genius." When he comes back from school the next day, he sees that his dog has created his own painting. It is magnificent! The boy calls it, "My Dog is a Genius."

Good for preschool storytimes.
Heidi-Marie
Not quite the story I expected from such a great title, but not bad. I love the relationship between the boy and his dog. I think it ironic to read this (with the dog and the art studio) while I'm in the middle of "A Long, Long Sleep" which has a similar experience, though a different outcome. I think the dog is adorable.
Jodie
Sep 02, 2012 Jodie rated it liked it
Pictures are fun and the illustrator's inspiration came from Paul Cezanne's "Still Life with Fruit Basket". The story focuses on a boy who likes to paint while his dog watches. When the boy has to go to school, the dog gets lonely and decides to entertain himself in the boys studio. The boy gets quite the surprise when he comes home. Easy text to read.
Steve H
Dec 21, 2012 Steve H rated it liked it
Cute book. Of course it's cute. It has Louie the dog who watches his boy (the narrator) create watercolor art and then comments. While our narrator is away at school Louie tries his hand (paws) at painting and it turns out there is more than one genius in the house. Nice artwork.
Jan 06, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
An eight-year-old boy and his dog work together to create a painting. When the boy leaves his dog home alone, Louie gets into the paints and creates a masterful work of art. A fun and surprising ending! And as someone who grew up with dachshunds, I loved the boy's efforts to draw his dog.
Jeanette Johnson
Nov 22, 2011 Jeanette Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Louie admires his master's paintings. One day while the master is away Louie decides to try his own hand at painting.

Even though we gain perspective from watching others, our own ideas of something may be larger than life.
Margie
Feb 24, 2012 Margie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-these-books
A boy and his dog, Louie, share a passion, painting. One day that passion explodes across the pages of the book; readers and the boy are pleasantly surprised. I love this book.

Read my full review at:
Kendra
Feb 01, 2012 Kendra rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, dogs
I really love how simple and beautiful this book is-simple stories for older kids are sparse these days. This one is perfect for preschoolers (and for older kids to read on their own), with the number of words usually found in a toddler book.
Courtney Huskisson
A boy (and a dog) who excel in artistic abilities.

Loved the relationship between the boy and the dog, and I loved the twist in the plot at the end. Several pages leave room for guessing and talking about 'what will happen next?'

I loved the paint style illustration.
Amanda_DJ n' Zac
Mar 01, 2012 Amanda_DJ n' Zac rated it it was amazing
Very nice book, and easy for toddlers to relate to. I liked it, an my 4 yr old did as well.
Brook
Nov 11, 2011 Brook rated it really liked it
Great book about a young boy and his dog and their art. Fun illustrations by Barroux! A wonderful story!
Thia
art color, dogs
Denise
Nov 26, 2011 Denise rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a clever tale of an artistic boy and his artistic dog. I think this would be fun to share with kindergarten students.
Ardis
Apr 13, 2012 Ardis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
excellent! funny and sweet. and you even learn a little bit about Cezanne at the end.
Jared
Mar 01, 2014 Jared rated it liked it
... and the moral of the story is, don't leave your paints out with your dog in the room. Or he may paint a better painting than you.
Dec 13, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: blue-apple-books
Non-rhyming
Pencil & paint
Linda Atkinson
Sep 19, 2011 Linda Atkinson rated it it was amazing
A visual masterpiece and an "inspired tale," for sure!
Danielle
Feb 03, 2012 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, picture-books
The illustrations are gorgeous and bold.
Jec
Sep 23, 2011 Jec rated it really liked it
all the more reason to get another dog...at least someone will think i am a genius...this was a heart warmer....
Mary
Jan 31, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
so cute!
Laura5
Jan 06, 2012 Laura5 rated it really liked it
Very sweet illustration style.
I love that the inspiration for the story was a real piece of art entitled "My Dog Thinks I'm a Genius"
Alice
Sep 05, 2012 Alice rated it really liked it
This is a fun book. What happens when you leave your dog home alone while you are off to school???.....oh the fun Louis will have!!! Loved the illustrations -- super cute story!
Heather
Dec 02, 2011 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: from-library
34 months - We only read this one a couple of times, it was ok but there were other library books we enjoyed more this time round.
Shelli
Nov 01, 2011 Shelli rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Artistic talent may not be limited to the two legged individuals in this house.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Happy Birthday Hamster
  • Me and My Dragon (Me and My Dragon, #1)
  • Little Puppy and the Big Green Monster
  • I'm Here
  • Zoe Gets Ready
  • Apple Pie ABC
  • Mousterpiece
  • How Do You Hug a Porcupine?
  • The Gift of Nothing
  • Little Mouse's Big Secret
  • A Kitten Tale
  • Simon's New Bed
Harriet Ziefert grew up in North Bergen, New Jersey, where she attended the local schools. She graduated from Smith College, then received a Masters degree in Education from New York University.

For many years, Ziefert was an elementary school teacher. She taught most grades from kindergarten to fifth grade. "I liked it," she said, but she stopped teaching when she had her own sons. When her childr
More about Harriet Ziefert...