Start by marking “The Good Man of Nanking: The Diaries of John Rabe” as Want to Read:
The Good Man of Nanking: The Diaries of John Rabe

The Good Man of Nanking: The Diaries of John Rabe

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  25 reviews
The Good Man of Nanking is a crucial document for understanding one of World War II's most horrific incidents of genocide, one which the Japanese have steadfastly refused to acknowledge.It is also the moving and awe-inspiring record of one man's conscience, courage, and generosity in the face of appalling human brutality.

Until the recent emergence of John Rabe's diaries, f
Published December 18th 2007 by Vintage (first published November 3rd 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Good Man of Nanking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Man of Nanking

Choonyeefan
Had the diary been written/published by a Chinese author, it'd be criticized again as propagating the anti-Japanese sentiment. But, this gruesome account of the suffering had been documented by a German, whose home country at that time was an ally of the Japanese army. Which I meant to say that J.Rabe's account of the Rape of Nanking must have been unbiased and reported as it was. As evinced in this book.

The atrocities committed by the unruly Japanese soldiers still, no doubt, would make one's
Erin
A harrowing and emotional true life account about the first days of the Japanese occupation in Nanking, Rabe really captured a narrator's voice while writing in his personal journals. While sometimes difficult to read (in the sense that the brutality described is almost too bestial to be true) the translated diary's of John Rabe stand as reminder of the Holocaust that was committed, and then forgotten about, in China during WWII. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in Chinese, Japa ...more
Kerry
What a tragic story! Einstein said that he thought the only to things that are infinite are the universe and the capacity for human stupidity, although he wasn't sure about the universe. I think the other thing that is infinite is the capacity for human cruelty. Hard to imagine the sort of brutalisation and indoctrination that soldiers must go through to be able to do do these things. The best and worst of the human condition on show here. Should be read by anyone who still view war as righteous ...more
Danielle Stoll
I read half of the book the fall of 2009 when I focused on the Nanking massacre for all of my papers in my Writing II class. John Rabe may have been part of the Nazi Party, but he lived most of his life in China where he had a great hand in saving 250,000-300,000 Chinese lives.
Mr.david
Not compelling but a competent first-person account of the Rape of Nanjing. I read it in conjunction with my stay in Nanjing where I studied Chinese. My school, Nanjing Normal University, was inside the "safe zone" that John Rabe set up in the midst of mass murder.
Shane Sinsapaugh
I came to this book after reading Iris Chang’s The Rape of Nanking. While in Chang’s book we get a glimpse of Rabe and an outsiders perspective at the events that took place between 1937 and 1938, in this book, we get to see the events as they unfold and from the perspective of someone who was actually there. It is a tragic and hard book to read, but it is very informative, and it is even filled with random clippings from other people who were there during the massacre. John’s diaries also conti ...more
Amelia
The Good Man of Nanking: The Diary of a Good Nazi
A Review By: Amelia

Interested in more book reviews? Check out my blog Bookworms Unite! (http://bookwormsunitebookreviews.blog...)

I’ve had a grim fascination with World War Two since I was a child thanks to my grandfather who told me countless war stories. I thought I knew everything there was to know about the war into a few years ago when I read a historical fiction novel called The Devil of Nanking (which I have also reviewed for this blog). It
Samuel

One of the most incredible stories in history.
Everyone has heard of the Oskar Schindler along with the other righteous gentiles and rightly so, their efforts at saving thousands of lives are a testament of humanity at its best even when the world was at it's most brutal.

But here is a book about a man most of you would have never heard of, John Rabe. A man who was a member of the Nazi party and yet who helped save more than 250000 lives in one of the worst war crimes in history, and the most in
Ben
John Rabe was a German employee of the Siemens corporation who worked in China for thirty years. He was in Nanking when the Japanese invaded China, and stayed there despite the eventual Japanese occupation. While there, he observed many of the atrocities committed by the Japanese army, but more importantly, did more than his part to protect as many of the poor Chinese who were unable to flee the city. Working with other Germans, as well as the English and Americans, he helped established an inte ...more
Ryan Tran
I'm currently halfway through this book and I'm really enjoying myself. The fact that the entire book is made of diary entries is extremely interesting. It gives you a deeper look of what really went on. The Japanese claim that all the accusations against them were exaggerated, this book proves their statement to be false. John Rabe was truly and amazing individual.
Thomas Wictor
The diary of John Rabe, the "Oscar Schindler of China." It's strange to imagine that a devoted Nazi saved so many from the murderous imperial Japanese army, but it's true. Grueling to read. You're left completely agog that a chubby, middle-aged businessman took such chances with his own life. A lesson in fearlessness and conscience.
Jamie
John Rabe is a quirky individual but with a good heart. "Dear God, watch over over my family and good humor; I'll take care of the other incidental's myself." His accounts of the atrocities in Nanking following the invasion of the Japanese are a sad reflection of the brutality of humanity. His boldness and courage were admirable, though I had hoped to hear more about what happened to the refugees after John Rabe left China, two months after the invasion. So strange that the Europeans and America ...more
Denise Phan
Jan 27, 2015 Denise Phan is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Super interesting and enlightening. Shows how kind some people can be, and how unkind others are.
Andrew Dolbeare
A precious and powerful account of the Nanking Massacre. There are other surprises here as well. John Rabe offers a surprising first hand look at postwar Germany and the Soviet occupation. A very rewarding glimpse at some of the less focused aspects of WWII.
Tracey Neet Niblack
Jul 20, 2013 Tracey Neet Niblack rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in history or another theater of WWII.
Although not a fast or riveting read, this book is very interesting. I had to set it down many times due to the details of atrocities carried out during WWII in China. This book is from the diaries of John Rabe who was in China as a Siemens employee up until 1938 (or was it 39?). As a a witness to history it is very informative and a good read.
Mary
This was my first book about the way the Chinese were treated by the Japanese in WWII. John Rabe definitely lives up to his name as the German Oskar Shindler. Fascinating story full of compassion. Rabe manages to keep his sense of humor and wit throughout all the horrible atrocities of war.
Johan Herrenberg
This is a good first introduction to the terrible event that is the Nanking Massacre. The character of John Rabe comes through very strongly. He really had a sort of greatness thrust upon him.
Sharon
An amazing true account about a staunch nazi supporter who helped save the lives of more than 250,000 Chinese during the war.

Known as the Chinese Oskar Schindler.
Liz
May 07, 2008 Liz rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in the horrors of war
I read this as a follow up to "The Rape of Nanking". It was interesting, but not as emotionally overwhelming since I was still raw from the latter.
Amber
This is a mediocre book that promised more but didn't deliver. Perhaps, it's the translation. Anywhoooooo!
Jodi
This is a fabulous challenge of your automatic vilification of anyone a member of the Nazi Party.
nic
Another account of Nanking during Japanese occupation from a German man name John Rabe.
Jada
Disturbing. Definitely NOT for the faint hearted.
Dan Annie
拉贝是人类的杰出代表。向平凡而伟大的拉贝致敬!
☯Bettie☯
jordan moreno
jordan moreno marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Talyn
Talyn marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Zhao Yan
Zhao Yan marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Mary Nguyen
Mary Nguyen marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
  • China: Fragile Superpower
  • Son of the Revolution
  • The Scarlet and the Black: The True Story of Monsignor Hugh O'Flaherty, Hero of the Vatican Underground
  • China Witness: Voices from a Silent Generation
  • The Death of Sigmund Freud: The Legacy of His Last Days
  • The City Of Light: The Hidden Journal of the Man Who Entered China Four Years Before Marco Polo
  • Second World War: Milestones to Disaster (Audio CD)
  • Carve Her Name with Pride
  • Lisbon: War in the Shadows of the City of Light, 1939-45
  • The Grand Slam: Bobby Jones, America, and the Story of Golf
  • Bound Feet & Western Dress
  • The Korean War: A History
  • The Greatest Battle: Stalin, Hitler, and the Desperate Struggle for Moscow That Changed the Course of World War II
  • Red Star over China: The Classic Account of the Birth of Chinese Communism
John Rabe was a German businessman who is best known for his efforts to stop the atrocities of the Japanese army during the Nanking Occupation and, failing in those efforts, his work to protect and succour Chinese civilians during the event. The Nanjing Safety Zone, which he helped to establish, sheltered some 200,000 Chinese people from slaughter during the massacre.

His war-time diaries are publi
More about John Rabe...