Palimpseste

Palimpseste

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  286 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Drame écologique, guerre nucléaire, catastrophe naturelle... À plus ou moins long terme, toute civilisation est vouée à disparaître. Cela s'est d'ailleurs produit des millions de fois depuis la formation de notre planète.
Pour préserver l'humanité de ces inévitables apocalypses, des agents venus d'un lointain futur voyagent tout au long de l'histoire de la Terre : à chaque...more
Published May 2011 by Nouveaux millénaires (first published July 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Palimpseste, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Palimpseste

Accelerando by Charles StrossThe First Pillar by Roy HuffSingularity Sky by Charles StrossThe Atrocity Archives by Charles StrossSaturn's Children by Charles Stross
Swancon 2013 Reading List
92nd out of 93 books — 7 voters
The Emperor's Soul by Brandon SandersonThe Man Who Bridged the Mist by Kij JohnsonPress Enter by John VarleyThe Man Who Sold the Moon by Robert A. HeinleinAnimal Farm by George Orwell
Hugo Award Winning Novellas
8th out of 34 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Agent Pierce murdered his own grandfather to join Stasis, the covert organization which works outside of time to reseed the Earth with humans every time they’re about to make themselves extinct. Pierce considers himself a loyal agent, and he didn’t even realize that there is a group that works in Opposition to Stasis — he’s only in training. So, why is someone trying to assassinate him?

Palimpsest follows Agent Pierce from initiation, through his twenty yea...more
Ben Babcock
So after finishing The Time Traveler’s Wife I realized that the next book on my shelf was Family Matters. The last Rohinton Mistry book I read cut me up, so I decided that before I attempted this next one, I would need something I was guaranteed to enjoy. Fortunately, my awesome limited edition of Palimpsest had just arrived from Subterranean Press. I first read Palimpsest when it was a nominee for the Hugo Award for Best Novella. It subsequently won, deservedly, the award, and so when I heard...more
Tancredi
Un breve racconto (forse troppo breve), scritto con maestria, che all'evidentissimo omaggio all'Eternità di Asimov lega una visione estrema del lontanissimo futuro dell'umanità, con i caratteristici excursus che rivelano la portata della grande immaginazione dell'autore.
Eppure è poco, troppo poco, da Stross mi aspetto molto di più.
Nicolas
Dans ce très court roman (160 pages !), on suit l'ascencion de Pierce, jeune agent de la Stase - chargée de protéger une lignée historique privilégiée nous menant des milliards d'années dans le futur. cette ascencion nous fera d'abord passer par son initiation (moment difficile entre tous, puisqu'il doit devenir un être paradoxal), avant d ele voir plongé dans ses premières missions, sa réalisation de ce qu'il a perdu, avant qu'enfin n'arrive la compréhension de ce qu'est la Stase.

Bon, c'est dif...more
Raj
I enjoyed this novella that covers some of the more intricate nature of time travel. The Stasis is an organisation that has access to time travel and uses it to shape human history, preserving the human race, and reseeding it on Earth after it goes extinct, as it inevitably does.

Our protagonist is Pierce, someone plucked out of time in the early 21st century after he fulfils the initiation of killing his own grandfather and we follow him as he progresses through his training to a full agent of t...more
John
Quite a mind-blowing novella from a master of future imaginings! Good science-fiction always gets the reader to think, often to think way outside the box, and Charles Stross has the mental power and writing ability to bring his stories to fruition in a way that provides challenges, and insights, and humor, and wonder for his audience's delight. A terrific read!
My Inner Shelf
Le thème des voyages dans le temps et des paradoxes temporels me fascinent depuis toujours. Je suis donc a priori une bonne cliente pour ce genre de roman.
La Stase, une organisation d’agents « immortels », veille sur la pérennité de la race humaine en modifiant les événements qui mènent à sa disparition. L’un de ses agents se retrouve confronté à la « disparition » de sa propre famille, victime d’un palimpseste…l’histoire a été réécrite !
Je suis incapable de mieux résumer l’intrigue, tant l’aute...more
G33z3r
"Palimpsest" Imagines a universe (or maybe it's a multi-verse) where an organization of time travelers flit through the millennia making adjustments to human history. The time agents, an organization called Stasis, exist outside of time (originally plucked from various eras of human history.) (that has, in fact, a superficial similarity to Asimov's The End of Eternity.)

But Stasis has a much grander plan than Asimov's time travelers ever did. These time travelers concentrate on re-seeding the hu...more
De Jan P.
Dobre ideje, solidan koncept, loš način na koji je priča ispričana.
Puno nepotrebnih i nevažnih podataka koji su ugušili priču.
Visi na rubu da napokon postane zanimljivo, ali uz puno "preletavanja" teksta to se neće dogoditi niti do kraja.

Korektan (a zahtjevan) prijevod nije spasio stvar.
Suho. Unatoč dobrim sastojcima - dosadno.
Za neke ideje i trud - poklonjena dvojka.
HUGO 2010?!

The God Engines Johna Scalzija je bila nominirana u istoj kategoriji te godine.
Toliko.
Jjlupa
Yikes!

This one caught me by surprise. Normally, I quite enjoy Charles Stross work, though he tangents into contexts which don't interest me. He tends to cover big-topic SF, which seems to me to be more challenging and rewarding than lightsabre pulp.

Anyway, this particular story is fundamentally a mind boggling story of time travel, and he pulls it off terrifically. I had a really challenging time keeping track of timelines and light cones, so I can see where some people would probably not be int...more
Ivan
I normally like this guy but pass. Go read The Time Traveler's Wife instead.
Kalver
võrdlus Igaviku lõpuga tuli ainult kahjuks
Riversue
Read this in English, needless to say - but it was one of the best primers on the intricacies of the paradoxes in time travel. Good fun.
Accelerando meets the Total Awareness Society. Great meditation on the different ways we could be, as the universe grows colder and darker, individually and collectively. That's the wrong conjunction junction, because in the world of the Palimpsest and frequent backups of EVERYTHING, we can be copied, overwritten, copied, overwritten again and again and again. Whole spaceships staffed by variations on a theme.

Smart book, but a chilly one.

Vickey Foggin
This is a Hugo-nominated novella from Charles Stross' short story collection "Wireless" that was released as a stand-alone e-book. A quick, captivating read. Pierce is a agent of Stasis, an organisation that uses extreme interventions through time to prevent the extinction of the human race. Stasis is very powerful, but it is not always right.
Evilynn
Nov 26, 2011 Evilynn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011, sf
I almost feel bad for buying this book, it turns out it was a signed copy, 925 out of 1000 printed, seems like that kind of book should go to a proper fan, not someone who's never read anything by Stross before.

I'd give this novella 4.5 stars if I could, it's a very interesting mix of time travel and history, paradoxes abound.
Mike
A year or two ago I said something on Twitter about how awesome it would be if Charles Stross wrote an episode of Doctor Who, and he replied (squee!) that it was extremely unlikely.

Palimpsest is everything I would have hoped from from Stross taking on time travel, and more.
Michael Hirsch
Not one of Stross's best. Maybe I'd have liked it better if he'd fleshed it out into a full novel, but as it is, too many details were left out for my taste. Out feels like a concept for a story, without the story.
Seth Thornberry
This story is probably my favorite from the past year. A fantastic take on the consequences of time travel and a mind bending shift of perspective on causality.
Michele
4.5 stars. There were just a few times when I was kind of lost. Otherwise, I would have given it 5 stars. A really great time travel story.
Сергей Провоторин
Эпическое повествование о том как люди подчиняли себе пространство и время вселенной.
Mark Atwood
A brilliant and bitter reinterpretation of the classic "TIme Patrol".
S
Aug 06, 2012 S rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf
Good, quick read. Well written.
Clyde
One of Charles Stross's best works.
yangarina
mind bending...that's all
Lois
Lois marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Lars
Lars marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
  • After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall
  • Permanence
  • Gantz/4
  • Enemy Mine
Charles David George "Charlie" Stross is a writer based in Edinburgh, Scotland. His works range from science fiction and Lovecraftian horror to fantasy.

Stross is sometimes regarded as being part of a new generation of British science fiction writers who specialise in hard science fiction and space opera. His contemporaries include Alastair Reynolds, Ken MacLeod, Liz Williams and Richard Morgan.

SF...more
More about Charles Stross...
Accelerando The Atrocity Archives (Laundry Files, #1) Singularity Sky (Eschaton, #1) Halting State Glasshouse