Start by marking “Trahisons (L'exécutrice, #2)” as Want to Read:
Trahisons (L'exécutrice, #2)

Trahisons (Elemental Assassin #2)

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  17,066 Ratings  ·  805 Reviews
Je m’appelle Gin Bianco, l’Araignée, la tueuse à gages la plus redoutée du Sud. Je suis à la retraite, mais on dirait que j’attire les ennuis. L’autre jour, une fusillade a éclaté dans mon restaurant. Les balles ne m’étaient pas destinées. Elles visaient Violet Fox. Depuis que j’ai décidé d’aider Violet et son grand-père, je me demande si je suis à la retraite. Et l’inspec ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 346 pages
Published June 1st 2011 by J'ai Lu (first published May 5th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Trahisons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trahisons

Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads

SO. Donovan Caine is EXACTLY as big of a chicken manboy LOSER FACE as I remembered him being. #dontletthedoorhityouonthewayout RAWRRRR.

Full RTC.

5/12/16: Getting a bit of a late start on this buddy (re)read with BB&B !

But better late than never, right? I mean, it's not like I was gonna bail--this book has OWEN. *swoons*

PM me if you're interested in joining. I have SWAG. ;)

Oh, oh! ALSO! It's currently ON SALE for $1.99:

description
Kat Kennedy
Oct 22, 2010 Kat Kennedy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So basically I kind of like this series. First of all because Gin may be a bleeding heart who'll take a job just because she hears a sobstory - but it also turns out she's a real bitch. Something I can really appreciate.

I've never told anybody this before but I also relate to Gin because I too am a female assassin.

This is totally me in my assassin garb getting ready to take down anybody I see dog-earring a book!

Okay... maybe not.

But I want to be! I plan on grabbing on of the fake katana from the
Choko
*** 4 ***

A weekly Urban Fantasy read with my fantastic buddies at BB&B!!!

We have a kick-ass southern lady assassin, retired, who will not back down in the face of danger, and will not blink an eye when taking down a mark! Ice runs in her veins and despite her ability to turn her skin into stone, she is not invulnerable, she is still human... Yes, she had it tough when she was a kid and she was on the brink of giving up before meeting Fin and his dad. Yes, she falls for the wrong guy and his
Limonessa
Aug 05, 2011 Limonessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Limonessa by: Maja
Shelves: uf-or-pnr, fantasy
3.5 stars.

This is not a review.
This is my rant directed towards one of the least likable love interests in the history of Urban Fantasy: Mr. Donovan Caine.
Or donovancaine, which has a certain assonance to a potent anesthetizer, and is truly appropriate, because that's exactly what he does to me. One of the most hypocritical, double-faced, backboneless men ever to have roamed the pages of a UF novel. And I loathe those kind of men - and who wouldn't?
Not only his ethics are just figments of hi
Denisa
In the previous book she was a badass assassin, who wasn't afraid to kill anyone and who bowed to no one.

In this book she's ever better!

I absolutely, absolutely love her! As I've said before, I am tired of killers with morals, who don't want to kill anyone but they have to do it, boo hoo, poor little them. Well, let me tell you, Gin is nothing like that.
I loved the fact that she's not all powerful, she got her ass kicked a few times and she's not afraid to ask for the help of her friends.
And
Robin (Bridge Four)
So far this isn’t my favorite UF series out there. That title is still held by the Kate Daniels Series and The Fever Series (1-5) I’m still pretending the other books didn’t happen.

It has potential….lots of potential but so far I’m struggling a little with the repetition in the writing. I don’t need a recap of what happened in chapter 1 in chapter 5 I read it under an hour ago I remember what happened.

The gist of the story

Gin is trying to be a retired assassin and current BBQ owner but there i
Ian
May 10, 2012 Ian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the age of 15 Donovan Caine suffered a terrible life altering trauma. His mother stopped breast feeding him. He was disconsolate. Not even his extensive Furby collection could turn that frown upside down. The result...Donovan Caine became a complete ass-hat. ass-hat. ass-hat. ass-hat.

This book is really great but I'm holding the 5th star hostage. Ms Estep, if you want the 5th star kill ass-hat by 5pm, May 29. The method of death should be gruesome and humiliating...it would be nice if it inv
Joanita
Jun 20, 2016 Joanita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: UF fans
Recommended to Joanita by: Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads
“Isn’t that your cook from the Pork Pit? The one who was working when Jake McAllister tried to rob you?”
“Yeah,” I replied. “She moonlights as a badass, just like me.”

Gin has put aside her assassin cloak, or knife in her case ;-), trying to live a normal life. However life of a retired assassin is quite boring. But then two punks try to rob her barbecue restaurant, and of course one of them is the son of Jonah McAllister, a very successful lawyer, and one of Mab Monroe’s top lieutenants. Mab M

Jo ★The Book Sloth★
****************Re-read June 2015****************
Catherine
4.5 Stars

This was a great follow up to Spider's Bite. Sometimes sequels just can't measure up, but that's not the case here. Gin is just as strong and badass as she was in the first book. I have a serious girl-crush on her and wish there were more heroines like her out there.

I loved how we opened the book straight in the middle of a robbery. It dropped me right into the action and gave Gin's personality a chance to shine right out of the gate. And shine it does. Her sarcasm and wit is just as sh
LaylaNoir
May 18, 2016 LaylaNoir rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
What kept me from giving this more than 3 stars were my sheer frustration about Gin's behaviour when it came to Caine and all those fancy repetitions:

- "Then he handed me a thick towel. I lifted it to my face and breathed in. It smelled like the detective - clean and soapy. Mmm."
- "The rain had made it transparent too, and I could see the ropy muscles of his chest through the thin fabric. Mmm."
- "His lips crushed against mine, even as his tongue drove inside my mouth. Mmm."

And all this on just t
Lauren
Web of Lies
3.5 Stars

Compelling world building, an entertaining storyline and well-developed characters but the pacing is off and the writing repetitive at times.

Gin is a truly engaging heroine whose snarky, tough-as-nails assassin persona conceals a warm heart, a profound sense of justice and an intense loyalty for those who have earned it. She does, however, have one significant flaw - her taste in men.

Donovan Caine's pathetic air of superiority and inability to love, respect or accept Gin wi
Felicia
YES! I love it when a series gets better from the first one! This book really got me into the groove with this character and this world. I really am interested in the magic, there were fun character twists and...

SPOILER:

THANK GOD FOR THE LOVE INTEREST RESOLUTION! It was my main criticism from the last one, and so happy the author was brave enough to switch gears and it's looking like a GOOD DIRECTION! Ok, I wanna be vague, but I'm totally in for #3!
Naomi
Jul 16, 2015 Naomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is terrific! Thank you Alicia for the recommendation :)
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
If I wasn't completely in love with the kick butt bad a$% that is Gin Blanco before reading Web of Lies, I am most certainly am now after finishing it.

Truly, this series has me, hook, line, and sinker.

Can this series get any better? A kick butt, strong heroine with a sense of self and a sense of humor. Side kicks galore that are pretty darn amazing and loyal themselves and action non stop as well as a paranormal (giants, dwarfs, vampires, magic) side and oh yeah, some pretty steamy sexual tensio
Maria Dimitrova
Buddy read with the Urban Fantasy lovers over at BB&B .

For some reason I expected more from this. Maybe I've become too spoiled. Anyway it was good enough book to make me want to continue with the series, mostly thanks to the last 30%. But it didn't grab me and there were some slow moments that I honestly struggled through. But I made it and I'm hoping that from now on it'll be better. It's still mostly worldbuilding, which probably explains why I wasn't as thrilled. But we made some baby
AH

Web of Lies is the second book in Jennifer Estep’s Elemental Assassins series. Our heroine Gin Blanco has now retired from her extremely lucrative career as The Spider and has now settled down working at her restaurant The Pork Pitt. Gin finds retirement a little boring. When the opportunity to help Fletcher’s old friend Warren Fox arises, Gin agrees to do the job.

There are a lot of things to love about this series. The author builds an imaginative world where some people have the abil
DaJa
Mar 28, 2016 DaJa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2016
4,5 Sterne Auch der zweiten Band der Elemental Assassin Reihe konnte mich wieder überzeugen. Der Übergang vom ersten zum zweiten Band ist hier sehr gut gelungen. Schnell findet man beim lesen wieder in die Geschichte hinein.
Die Protagonisten wurden noch einmal durch viele Details ausgearbeitet und einzelne Charaktereigenschaften genauer beschrieben.
Mit diesen außergewöhnlichen Protagonisten, humorvollen Dialogen und spannenden Szenen, ist Jennifer Estep wieder ein toller Fantasyroman gelungen. D
Mariya
Sep 24, 2011 Mariya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say that I'm impressed. WEB OF LIES has exceeded my expectations this time around and I am looking forward to zipping through this series fast. I have come to love these characters even more except *cough*DonovanCaine*cough*, I didn't think an assassins life could get anymore exciting, but boy, was I wrong.

Our heroine Gin is retired or at least she is trying to stay retired, but being The Spider, the best assassin out there has been calling for her to get that excitement back in her li
Steven
Gin Blanco is kickass. She knows it. Everyone else knows it. She makes a few mistakes in this one, but they end up with some positive results: (view spoiler)

Solid entry. I've heard this series gets better and better. I'm having fun already, which means I'm in for a really great ride!
Shanshad Whelan
I really really wish I could say I liked this book--I like a lot of the worldbuilding, and the plotting is rather entertaining. There's steamy romance, a hard nosed assassin with a good heart and a great talent for cooking. There are some fascinating secondary characters. I have a minor grievance with opting for ice rather than water and stone rather than earth as the major elemental powers against fire and air, but that's authorial choice.

This big problem, and the reason I had to put this book
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Oct 28, 2012 Carmel (Rabid Reads) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Thanks to Lauren Fortgang's mesmerizing voice, Jennifer Estep's poignant first person POV writing style and Gin Blanco's stellar personality; the Elemental Assassin books are rapidly turning into one of the best Urban Fantasy series that I have ever read. So much so, that I find myself forsaking all of the other lovely novels on my shelves because I can't seem to get enough of this amazing story. I rarely step into a heroine's shoes while reading but with this series it's
Mike (the Paladin)
This "series" (this is only the second in said series) drew me in when I read the first book. Our heroine (a former assassin) is well written and the stories move fast. There is what I've come to think of as the "obligatory" love interest (a detective) but in the first book that boiled down to some lustful dreaming on the female protagonist's part and one big steamy sex scene.

HOWEVER I am forced to drop my rating of this book down to 3 stars. I'm not writing off the series. I plan to try the nex
Veronika
I think I'm done with this series! Not because of the story (the world-building is great!) but because of the REPETITIONS!!!

I'm extremely sad because if not for the constant repetitions, I would give this book 4-5 stars! I don't know if it's the author's fault or the editor's fault, but it felt like the author thought I suffered from a seriously short-term memory and that's why she had to repeat the previous book almost word for word. I wish I was kidding!

I think it was almost unnecessary fo
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Actual rating: 3 going on 4

This series just got a lot better! The original premise for this series as well as Gin’s character made the first instalment enjoyable but I thought the world-building wasn’t very satisfying. It really improves in Web of Lies. The elemental magic aspect of the book is developed and more preternatural characters are introduced. The series isn’t in the heavy-weights category of urban fantasy novels but it is well-written and entertaining, with interesting characters.

I
Shelby
So I started this series on audio and I'll be damned I just might have to listen to the whole thing on it. I'm not a huge audio fan, but this narrator is really fantastic and I've grown to really love her as Gin. She has the right amount of sardonic amusement for the character and her delivery is spot on for how much Gin tries to pretend she doesn't care about things.

As a second book in a series I think this story grew in some great ways. The author's writing style is still a little repetitive a
CasPerfitz~SLiTsReaD
4.5 Action-packed STARS!

I love it when the book carries me away to a fantasy world full of mystery, suspense and action, sprinkled with intense emotions, I'm a goner for sure!

Gin retired? I doubt it. Trouble is her middle name! Gin, the fiery , kick-ass, sassy, spunky. smart, powerful and passionate assassin. And she's become more powerful too! I love her!

And I love her team, her family! Fin, her foster brother and now her handler, Jo-jo, the air elemental and healing dwarf (I wish she were my
Katyana
Aug 30, 2010 Katyana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian
This is the second book in the Elemental Assassin series. The first book got better even as I read it, after a slightly unsure start. Now it seems the series is only going to continue in the same vein, getting better and better with each novel.

Detective Donovan Caine is still on the scene, although perhaps trying to distance himself slightly, as he still clearly doesn't approve of Gin's job. It is, after all, against everything he stands for as a cop, to let someone go around killing people for
Linda
Dec 17, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When trouble comes calling, Gin is not late to answer. An entitled brat threatens her Pork Pit and its customers, and protecting whats hers brings both trouble and new friendships.
When a girl comes along wanting help from Gins late guardian, Fletcher, she cant just stand back, she has to help. But Donovan, the cop, is not happy with this. Will he help her or put a stop to her plans?
Gin is in for a stressful time.
PNR Romance, action, suspense and smutty fluff in a great combo, and a heroine not
It's All About Se...: Web of Lies - Elemental Assassin Book 2 3 1 Jan 24, 2015 01:23PM
Donovan Caine is a stupid man? 22 188 Jan 29, 2014 09:41PM
SOS: Serious Over...: June Buddy Read: Web of Lies by Jennifer Estep 11 18 Jul 05, 2012 11:24AM
  • Magic on the Storm (Allie Beckstrom, #4)
  • City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3)
  • Blood Cross (Jane Yellowrock, #2)
  • The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane, #2)
  • Double Cross (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #2)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Blood Before Sunrise (Shaede Assassin, #2)
  • Death Blows (The Bloodhound Files, #2)
  • Crimson Wind (Horngate Witches, #2)
  • Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2)
  • Fatal Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #3)
  • Blood of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #2)
Jennifer Estep is a New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author, prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea.

ELEMENTAL ASSASSIN SERIES
Jennifer writes the Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series.

The books focus on Gin Blanco, an assassin codenamed the Spider who can control the elements of Ice and Stone. When she’s not busy killing people and righ
More about Jennifer Estep...

Elemental Assassin (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1)
  • Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3)
  • Tangled Threads (Elemental Assassin, #4)
  • Spider’s Revenge (Elemental Assassin, #5)
  • By a Thread (Elemental Assassin, #6)
  • Widow’s Web (Elemental Assassin, #7)
  • Deadly Sting (Elemental Assassin, #8)
  • Heart of Venom (Elemental Assassin, #9)
  • The Spider (Elemental Assassin, #10)
  • Poison Promise (Elemental Assassin, #11)

“You could just run over him," I said. "He's already dead, and it's not like you haven't done it before."
"Yeah, but I don't want bloody bits of dwarf stuck on my wheels for the next two weeks." Finn sniffed. "This is an Aston Martin, Gin. You don't run over dead bodies in an Aston Martin."
"Tell that to James Bond."
Finn shot me a dirty look as he pulled out onto the street.”
51 likes
“This is an Aston Martin, Gin.You don't run over dead bodies in an Aston Matin."
"Tell that to James Bond”
36 likes