Start by marking “What a Way to Start the Day” as Want to Read:
What a Way to Start the Day

What a Way to Start the Day

Waking up to realize you may be in the family way would make anyone worry. Especially if the would-be daddy has fangs and is the hunted son of the vampire mafia.

Molly O’Brien runs the small shop ‘Forbidden Charms’ and is the witch to go to if you want something. Operating on the outskirts of a supernatural world isn't easy either, especially when trying to keep your secret
Kindle Edition
Published (first published December 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about What a Way to Start the Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What a Way to Start the Day

Thomas Amo
Mar 16, 2011 Thomas Amo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves a great story.
Ella Grey's novella "What a Way to Start the Day" is truly an entertaining read. I liked the story from the word go. Molly our MC is a fire witch and much to my surprise, it seems witches have to deal with the same day to day rubbish all us regular people face. They have bills to pay, have to deal with rude customers and concern themselves about safe sex ~ahem.

Ella doesn't just write a good story for me with this book, she paints a picture that is a gorgeous tapestry, allowing the eyes the blis
N.L. Riviezzo
Honestly, I am baffled by the 4-5 star reviews this work has gotten.

At its core, it a conglomeration of cardboard characters that encompass what is currently 'in' within the paranormal genres. The writing is more for a younger Young Adult audience even though it addresses adult themes. The author clearly does not know the difference between past and present tense. Several sentences utilize both tenses. I am shocked that an editor did not catch the tense issues. There were a lot of typos, pacing
Michele Collins
Feb 17, 2011 Michele Collins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Title: What A Way To Start The Day
Author: Ella Grey
Publisher: Echelon Press
ISBN: 9781590807149
Review by Michele Tater for The Couch Tater Review

Because we build the worlds we wouldn't mind living in. They contain scary things, problems, but also a sense of rightness that makes them alive and makes us want to live there. ~Anne McCaffrey

Molly O'Brien is having a bad day. For starters she realizes she is late, and the kind of late that only girls can be late for. She had a fling with a vampire
Serena
Feb 08, 2011 Serena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My love for short stories is growing every time I read one! Ella Gray had me hooked from the first page. Right away, I liked Molly. She’s a witch that runs a charms store with a bit of a thief side business :) I’m always scared with short stories that the story is going to feel rushed and there won’t be enough time to really connect with the world or the characters. However, there’s a surprising amount of action in this short story and there is also quite a bit of world building. You learn about ...more
Stacey Donaldson
Molly O'Brien is a witch, not regular garden variety witch, she's a fire witch. With the ability to manipulate fire and cast spells, Molly runs Forbidden Charms (a little shop) by day, but she is a thief for hire by night. When she's hired by a vampire to do a job, that should be easy, she finds herself in quite a pickle.

Phenomenal! Molly O'Brien is such a likable character. Her wit is quick and her instincts are on point. Ella Grey has the makings of a great series on her hands here. I can't w
Rusty Fischer
Nov 23, 2011 Rusty Fischer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a Way to Start the Day was a fast, fun but surprisingly sophisticated and kind of epic world. I don’t mean I’m surprised by the writing; it’s wicked good from page one. I meant surprised that you could fit so much story into a *short* story!

Beyond the vampire-witch mash-up that is awesome unto itself there is this whole kind of “Mission Impossible” feat in the middle that you find yourself sucked into and wanting more on its own.

Molly O’Brien is an awesome character and Ella Grey has creat
Jen Wylie
Feb 18, 2011 Jen Wylie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing debut short story! I loved Molly O'Brien right from the start, small but sparky, in more ways than one. Enough romance and action to keep you glued to every page. Well developed characters fill a world I'm eager to learn more of. As with any great short story series I'm left wanting more. I can't wait for the next in this series! Excellent read!
Ashley Fox
Jan 05, 2013 Ashley Fox rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted in my Writer's Circle. Great potencial, unfortunaely it seems as if this still needs a good edit. Other reviewers have picked up on critiques that were given during the writing process. Would be curious to read a full-length novel from a more experianced perspective :)
Mary
An interesting beginning (but poorly edited). It read more like a prologue than a short story with an appropriate conclusion. Maybe this is the start of a fantasy to come. I hope so, there's a lot to work with but just doesn't work on its own.
Wendy
Mar 17, 2011 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this short story. I was hoping there would be a sequel. I want to see what happens and what the deal with Drake is! The story grabbed me right away. It ends much too quickly!
Caelyn O'connor
Caelyn O'connor rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2011
Sean Hayden
Sean Hayden rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2011
Karen Syed
Karen Syed rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2011
Ella Grey
Feb 20, 2011 Ella Grey rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2012
Sarah Walsh
Sarah Walsh rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2011
Rebecca Foote
Rebecca Foote rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2011
Karthik Venkatesh
Karthik Venkatesh rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2011
Peirce159
Peirce159 rated it did not like it
Jan 05, 2013
Ansleys4
Ansleys4 rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2013
Megg Jensen
Megg Jensen marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2011
Julie Johnson
Julie Johnson marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2011
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2011
Ella
Ella marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2011
Cecilia
Cecilia marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2011
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2011
Amelia James
Amelia James marked it as to-read
May 04, 2011
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
May 05, 2011
Bridgette
Bridgette marked it as to-read
May 25, 2011
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
May 26, 2011
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2011
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2011
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2011
Dark Luna Rose
Dark Luna Rose marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2011
Jina Gibbs
Jina Gibbs marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2012
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2012
Molly
Molly added it
Feb 07, 2012
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2012
Zinnia Rose
Zinnia Rose marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2012
Lore
Lore marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2012
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2013
Sheridan
Sheridan marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2013
Jose
Jose marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2013
Aqualita
Aqualita marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2013
I love writing and I can't picture doing anything else.

'What a Way to Start the Day' and the eshort series 'A Difficult Decision' are both bestsellers on omnilit.

I'm currently writing my steampunk submission for 'A Clockwork Fairytale' which is being released next year.
More about Ella Grey...