Start by marking “Deadly Engagement” as Want to Read:
Deadly Engagement

Deadly Engagement (Alec Halsey Mystery #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  21 reviews
An eighteenth century historical mystery. Diplomat and amateur sleuth Alec Halsey becomes embroiled in countryhouse murder and mayhem. He must confront past demons in his love life and a cruel twist of fate that reveals why his brother now loathes him. If you love Sebastian St. Cyr novels by CS Harris and Julian Kestrel novels by Kate Ross then you'll love Deadly Engagemen ...more
Published (first published February 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Engagement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Engagement

Doreen
Lucinda Brant has been a real find, and it proves the efficacy of giving away a book on Kindle because I have gone out and bought others by her.

This book is a little different from the usual historical romance - she has called the genre "crimance". Think of the Richard and Rose books. I was drawn in by the whodunnit side of the book: was there more than one criminal running round? how were the crimes connected? I was uncertain till near the end, when the suspects were reduced to one. I liked the
While the general storyline is interesting and the writing clear and entertaining, this beginning to a new historical mystery series just didn't quite hit the mark. The story seemed disjointed and suffered from too much melodrama. The characters - even Alec, the main character - seemed to be made up of their individual ideals and motivations rather than actual human feeling and whimsy. The ingredients for a really good book were there, but something went wrong when Brant threw them all in togeth ...more
Radella
There are a lot of characters to keep straight in this book… Just to start, there’s Alec of noble birth, with a bit of a scandalous history, and recently returned to town. Selina is a widow, finally free from an abusive husband, and Alec’s true love (although Alec’s convinced himself he loves the young Emily). Things get more complicated when you add Alec’s brother and arch nemesis, and Emily’s betrothed, Edward to the mix. There are a dozen other characters, and not all high society.
The majorit
Jen
Well, firstly, in my edition there were a few editing errors that were - to my picky little mind - worse than mere spelling mistakes. Spelling mistakes, well, it happens. But writing 'pour' instead of 'pore', and 'reign' instead of 'rein' just makes the author look like they're trying to use words they don't understand. Plus the words mean something different, and there's that moment of WTF as you try to parse the sentence as actually written and realise it makes no sense whatsoever...

Then there
Cindy
When I opened this ebook, it was billed as a 'crimance.' Call me a word snob, but if I had seen that in the description, I never would have bothered reading it. What the heck is a crimance? But I can't really hold that against the author because I don't know who chose that word. It could have been her, but it could have been the editor, some PR person, or a random publishing exec. In any case, it's such a horrible word!

But let's put that aside and talk about the story. Alec arrives back in Engla
Heather
This is the first time I have read a book that said it was a Crimance........but I can't wait for another one. Deadly Engagement was true to its word. There was Romance mixed in with Crime......both of these together..had me wondering on both counts.......who would get together..and who was the bad guy. I could not put the book down. Looking forward to the next Alec Halsey book..........Dealy Affair that will be out later this year. Lucinda Brant has a way with words.........and I can't seem to ...more
Larisa
Delicious Georgian mystery with excellent cast of characters, period details and just enough twist to keep the reader guessing until very close to the end.
Plus a totally hot hero...brainy and possessed of all his own hair.

Off to read the next book, Deadly Affair. You know the drill, go grab your own copy, these are worth buying!
Bibliobee
I prefer my historical fiction to be accurate historically and leave the fiction to the plot and characters. I have always appreciated a heavily researched and accurate work of historical fiction; these books, after all, are fiction not fantasy. Deadly Engagement is FULL of factual errors, most notably; language, discourse and action COMPLETELY inappropriate for Georgian England. Oddly enough, I still enjoyed this awful little crimance, despites it's over whelming flaws. It's definitely a guilty ...more
Nellie
This was quite clean, and more a murder mystery than a romance. The characters were so plentiful at the beginning of the book, I had no clue who anyone was. So, I just went with the story, and it turned out ok.
I thought the writing was good, and the storyline was interesting. I'd say it was ok for my older teen daughter, but probably not her speed. I am reading the sequel, but might have moved on to another book had I not bought these both at the same time. It's interesting, but not super compel
Pepper
Deadly Engagement is an entertaining, fast paced historical mystery. I particularly liked the Georgian London setting which was well executed and believable. Alec Halsey is a diplomat in the 'Foreign Department' who is drawn into playing amateur sleuth when the mother of an old school friend asks for his assistance to find out why her son was murdered. She does not believe he was killed in a duel. Trouble is, the nobleman who the mother believes killed her son is none other than Alec Halsey's ol ...more
Maria Grazia
A truly intriguing one. A real page turner. It's Part I of a two-part mystery series set in the Georgian Era, in England. If you dream of a book with a gorgeous hero, thrilling emotions, romance and intrigue, wit and elegance, silk and powdered wigs, you won't be disappointed, you'll find it in Lucinda Brant's DEADLY ENGAGEMENT.

1763. Alec Halsey, being a second son is not going to inherit his father's title. nor his properties. His boasting, wicked brother, Edward, is the heir to the title, Earl
Susan Ash hanson
Just ok, too many namby pamby characters
Rebecka
I loved this Story! I thought I knew who did it then I changed my mind then I changed again and at the end thought how did I not figure this out sooner! I am going to give this one to my mother who is difficult to recommend books to. At least I find it hard to recommend books to her. I think she will love it too!
Michele
I had not previously read any of Lucinda Brant's books. I was pleasantly suprised. I enjoy the attention to detail that she added to the story and have enjoyed getting to know the charcters and look forward to finding out more about their lives. Alec seems like a reluctant perticapant which I like.
I won this book as an ARC giveaway from Goodreads First Reads.

---

After a rather difficult start, I thoroughly enjoyed the story line and the characters. Great character development and a good mystery! I look forward to reading more from Brant.
Mary G.
A very enjoyable read with engaging characters. Alec, Selena, Tam etc are well worth a visit. The story is well delivered and there is an exciting conclusion.
Cary
This was not a quick read nor was it full of romance but it was interesting and as mysteries go, good. I will look into the sequel.
Candice

A little hard to read in the beginning but once you sort out all the characters the book was rather enjoyable.
Rebecca
Have to "fess up" huge fan of Georgian historical romance!
Kate
Really I'd give it 3.5 stars.
Rosaliie
very good, first in a series
Lín
Lín marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Irene
Irene is currently reading it
Nov 12, 2014
Eileen
Eileen marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Nancy Martin
Nancy Martin marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Tess
Tess marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
  • A Death in Norfolk (Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries, #7)
  • India Black and the Widow of Windsor (Madam of Espionage, #2)
  • Cupid's Christmas
  • Lives of the Novelists: A History of Fiction in 294 Lives
  • What Remains of Heaven (Sebastian St. Cyr, #5)
  • A Sicilian Romance
  • Neon Dragon
  • The Counterfeit Guest
  • Murder on the Bride's Side (An Elizabeth Parker Mystery #2)
  • There Must Be Murder
  • Snodgrass Vacation
  • Twelfth Night (Lady Julia Grey, #5.6)
  • Beasts of New York: A Children's Book for Grown-Ups
LUCINDA BRANT is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of Georgian historical romances & mysteries. Her novels are described as from 'the Golden Age of romance with a modern voice', and 'heart wrenching drama with a happily ever after'.
She... Lives in the 18th Century most days (heaven!). Drinks Nespresso coffee like water. Thinks Dr. Evil is incredibly funny. Loves the Horrible Hi
More about Lucinda Brant...
Midnight Marriage: A Georgian Historical Romance (Roxton Series #2) Salt Bride: A Georgian Historical Romance (Salt Hendon Book 1) Noble Satyr (Roxton Series #1) Deadly Affair: A Georgian Historical Mystery (Alec Halsey Crimance) Autumn Duchess: A Georgian Historical Romance (Roxton Series #3)