Hrafnkel's Saga and Other Icelandic Stories

Hrafnkel's Saga and Other Icelandic Stories

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  317 ratings  ·  21 reviews
They date from the thirteenth century and fall into two distinct groups. Hrafnkel's Saga, Thorstein the Staff-Struck, and Ale Hood are set in the pastoral society of native Iceland, the homely touch and stark realism giving the incidents a strong feeling of immediacy.

The remaining four -Hreidar the Fool, Halldor Sorrason, Audun´s Story, and Ivar´s Story- were written witho...more
Published 1976 by Penguin Classics (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Hrafnkel's Saga and Other Icelandic Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hrafnkel's Saga and Other Icelandic Stories

The Prose Edda by Snorri SturlusonRunemarks by Joanne HarrisEaters of the Dead by Michael CrichtonThe Poetic Edda by AnonymousThe Norse Myths by Kevin Crossley-Holland
Norse Mythology
38th out of 123 books — 244 voters
The Prose Edda by Snorri SturlusonEgil's Saga by AnonymousNjal's Saga by AnonymousThe Poetic Edda by UnknownThe Saga of the Volsungs by Anonymous
Old Norse-Icelandic literature
12th out of 139 books — 31 voters

More lists with this book...

Scott
Hrafnkel is a saga writ small, but with all the propelling blunt force of its lengthier cousins. This simple story told in starkly realistic prose draws a vivid picture of tenth-century Iceland: snow-capped mountains, mires, and grassy slopes dotted with the homesteads of tetchy farmers, who hold honor more dear than life. The story begins with a murder of a poor peasant, who yielded to the temptation to ride his master’s sacrosanct horse. From this grim beginning, the saga branches into a swift...more
Alex
I have not actually read this whole book, I just read Hraknkel's Saga in the larger collection of Icelandic Sagas I am going through and wanted a venue to review it on its own. This is a much shorter tale than Egil's Saga, which I read a few weeks ago, and probably much more accessible for that. If Egil's is a novel, then Hrafnkel's is a short story and all the better for it. Told with an economy of information that makes the material timeless and appealingly opaque, this is one of the best piec...more
Rhys
Back in my teens (during the 1980s) I collected Penguin Classics. I bought a dozen Viking Sagas but never got round to reading any of them. At long last I've decided to remedy the situation and this is the first of them. *Hrafnkel's saga* is one of the shortest major sagas but it's a remarkable work... nonetheless, one of the first examples of "realism" in world literature, though it's a curiously alien realism by modern standards... This book contains six other stories dating from the 13th Cent...more
Matt Poland
A good, short introduction to Icelandic sagas. The stories, especially "Thorstein the Staff-Struck," emblematize those things that are so good about the sagas: the collocation of Christian and pagan ideas (and the tension between them), clear-eyed realism and seriousness of tone, and wry humor. I would argue that anyone who grew up in a rural area, in Iceland or elsewhere, will recognize these hard-headed people, and feel at least somewhat welcome in their community.
John
Wow. These Icelandic Sagas are so much more fun to read than I would have guessed. I'm looking forward to finding and reading more of them.
Janis
The stories in this collection of Icelandic sagas date from the 13th century but take place centuries before that. They're fascinating! I expected Homeric but they're a little more...homey. They're full of characters named Thord and Thorarin, Thorhall and Thorvald (many of whom have bad tempers and handy weapons), and tell of fights among relatives, lawsuits, drinking contests, and staged horse fights. I liked the flawed characters, and I liked that some of them grew and changed while others did...more
Travis Ferber
An interesting book for its insight into the world of medieval Iceland. This was a world from whence our judicial system was derived, yet despite these laws the ultimate arbiter of any issue was force in Iceland. From a cultural perspective, the issues and concerns of the characters in the sagas were very similar to our modern day concerns. However, the jilted nature of the linear narrative, plodding along often to anticlimactic ends could be a bit perturbing. It left me thinking how unfortunate...more
Robert
The title story is much more consciously literary than the other stories in this short collection. It's a tale of broken oaths, murder, revenge, legal drama and redemption in medieval Iceland.

Several of the other stories have similar themes but have a somewhat different tone, being more like a cross between a short biography of an individual and the anecdotes about him that would get told down the pub on a long winter's night.

The latter-most stories take a wider look at the Norse world as they t...more
Tynan
Mar 28, 2007 Tynan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: badasses
Hrafnkel's Saga (pronounced roughly like "Hrapket's Saga") is a very rare work indeed, focusing on the average Old Icelandic farmer rather than the heroes, kings, and poets of the day. It's pretty good to boot. The eponymous hero even strings up a group of men through holes he pokes between their achilles tendons and heel bones.

The Other Icelandic Stories are the real gems, though. They range from cutesy to tragic and are just good fun reads, some of them almost mini-sagas.

I would suggest this b...more
John Jackson
Very good stories! It is always nice to see legends and stories of another country and just how similar they are to our own.
David
I really enjoyed this short book. The stories in it are interesting without having any sort of pretense or grandeur.

They're not cautionary tales, or epics involving heroic acts, but much more mundane. They are stories of people, albeit odd people, and stories of Iceland. A great window into the laws of the time and the attitude of he people.
Thoroughly enjoyable
Victor
An interesting work on the tales of Iceland. It helps if you know who a few historical characters are, especially Harold the Ruthless and his war with Denmark. He comes up frequently. Now, if you’re looking for dragons and elves, this is not the place. These stories read a lot more like the Wild West.
Jason Freeze
Nice collection of short stories, all of them with a morality component. Unfortunately, the style of the Nordic sagas makes these brief narratives less enjoyable in my opinion as the bulk of the tale revolves around heritage and ancestry. Worth the time if you enjoy this style of writing though.
Robert

It's like the Godfather, except with families of Vikings. Having never read any sagas before this one, I have to say I was quite pleasantly surprised. A lot more politics involved than you'd expect.
Colin
An interesting collection of 7 stories, some pretty good (Hrafnkel's Saga is very good), others somewhat boring (like Ivar's Story). Worth reading, but not the best sagas, by any means . . .
Heather Clitheroe
The sagas seem to involve a number of men killing each other in fits of foolish anger, but they are quite amusing. A good, readable translation.
Robert
As someone with a legal background, I really enjoyed the descriptions of the Althing and other legal proceedings.
Ellis L.
May 18, 2012 Ellis L. added it
Shelves: history
Stark Nordic tales. A browse through the name index will show you where Tolkien snagged at least some of his names.
Brad
Aug 11, 2007 Brad rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: epic
Seven thirteenth century examples of starkly realistic Icelandic fiction.
romilly
romilly marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
folkmoot
folkmoot marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Fedor
Fedor marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Brent Larowe
Brent Larowe is currently reading it
Sep 10, 2014
D. B. Patterson
D. B. Patterson marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: Unknown, Anonymous, and Icelandic sagas 3 22 Aug 21, 2013 11:38AM
  • The Vinland Sagas: The Norse Discovery of America
  • Seven Viking Romances
  • King Harald's Saga
  • Eirik the Red and Other Icelandic Sagas (World's Classics)
  • The Sagas of Icelanders
  • Vikings: The North Atlantic Saga
  • A History of the Franks
  • A Celtic Miscellany: Translations from the Celtic Literatures
  • The Teachings of the Compassionate Buddha
Books can be attributed to "Unknown" when the author or editor (as applicable) is not known and cannot be discovered. If at all possible, list at least one actual author or editor for a book instead of using "Unknown".

Books whose authorship is purposefully withheld should be attributed instead to Anonymous.
More about Unknown...
Beowulf: A New Verse Translation Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl, Cleanness, Patience The Mabinogion The Nibelungenlied Beowulf