Start by marking “Minus Nine to One: The Diary of an Honest Mum” as Want to Read:
Minus Nine to One: The Diary of an Honest Mum

Minus Nine to One: The Diary of an Honest Mum

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  36 reviews
From trying to conceive and first positive pregnancy test to Poppy's first birthday, 'Minus Nine to One' takes you through the worries, surprises, excitement, miracles and sheer bloody hard work that Jools had to cope with along the way.
Published May 4th 2006 by Penguin Group(CA) (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Minus Nine to One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Minus Nine to One

I didn't finish this because although Jools is clearly a lovely person, she is not my kind of person. She is one of THOSE women. The kind that tick all the boxes for stereotypical 'woman' behaviour like being obsessed with shoes and calling your mother every day to chat. I'm sure there must be lots of women like that out there for the stereotypes to get started but I just can't relate.

Also, I couldn't help feeling like if she wasn't Jamie Oliver's wife nobody would care about her struggles with
Emmalene Umar
Loved this book, so comprehensive and honest and Jools is so vulnerable. I've read other books that are a similar form, but this was probably the most relatable. Jools, talks about what it was like at each step, for example what she explained about breast-feeding, I just haven't got that kind of information from anywhere else. I also enjoyed the interactions between her and Jamie Oliver, it was quite funny and I again can relate when it comes to my husband and I journeying through pregnancy toge ...more
Cindy
If every book/novel that I read was this honest and from the heart then they would do much better. This book is written by Jools Oliver who is Jamie Oliver's wife, the talented naked chef and all the other great shows since then... That being said the books success is all her own. She is incredibly candid and lets you in on all of the ups and downs of her pregnancy and raising their two beautiful girls. You actually get quite disappointed that you are done the book so fast, it such a great read ...more
Michelle Wallis
I read this book during my first pregnancy and I found it extremely amusing and entertaining to read Jool's take on pregnancy and the first 12 months of her firstborns life. I loved the light hearted way she laughed at herself in hindsight, as she told of her experiences and thoughts, she held nothing back and it was easy to connect with her experiences. I had not read a book in a while when I first picked this up and was pleasantly surprised as I could not put it down and constantly found mysel ...more
Lisa
(Non-Fiction New Mother Memoir) I found this book while doing a search for "motherhood" at my public library. I read it in a couple of days, which is a feat as my daugher is one month old. This book is jubilant, honest, cheeky, and buoyant. Oliver's writing radiates with the joy of having children, but she doesn't disregard the despair of those trying times. This book reads like a conversation over some coffee or tea and it's filled with fantastic, vintage-looking photographs. Jools Oliver seems ...more
Anna
Gosh but Jools Oliver is a girly girl. She keeps going on about how much of a girly she is, too. Do women generally take Vogue, Cosmo, Heat, OK mags with them to the hospital when they are about to give birth?
Maybe it gets really dull, I dunno. You'd think you'd being being busy, pushing and that.

Anyway, Jools manages to get preggers, not once but twice in quick succession, despite having ovary problems, and manages the daunting task of raising two small children whilst married to a man who is
Elizabeth Kelly
Really good to read if you are pregnant - it is nice to read about the pregnancy from the point of view of someone going through it even if you don't agree with everything that person is doing or can't empathise with a particular problem there will be something in there that all pregnant women / new mothers can identify with. She is very lucky that they are well off enough for buying pushchairs they only use once but there is enough potentially useful pointers in this book as well that you can o ...more
Amy
It was a pretty light read and one I probably would have enjoyed more when I was pregnant. The title made me think that it would be a more candid look at motherhood. I found it somewhat trite and a lot of the information either outdated or not checked or something. I wouldn't recommend it as a guideline for parenting, but it's a look in to one woman's experience that you may or may not relate all that well to unless you too were chased by papparazzi preceeding and following your children's birth ...more
Alison Condliffe
Engaging, very honest, chatty book, easy to read while doing late night breastfeeding. Had a lot of empathy with Oliver, could definetly relate to different situations, some differences due to money eg she had a personal trainer, hired maternal nurse to get daughter on bottle etc but overall most mothers could identify with her feelings and ideas about motherhood.
Lauren
This memoir was quirky and honest. I loved it. Oliver goes through everything; their attempts at conception and doctor visits to fertility drugs and finally getting pregnant. Her telling of her journey through pregnancy and delivery feels like a chat with a girlfriend.

As someone who is due with their first baby in March and plans on making my own baby food I really appreciated the bits about making baby food, along with some recipes that she shared in the end of the book.
Emma
This book was actually given to me by my sister who had wanted to be a mummy for as far back as i can remember. It made me a little sad reading it because at that time and still now i have been trying to conceive. It was written honestly which i thought was amazing! It was insightful and at some points it was witty. You get a real sense of the olivers lowest and highest points. You are almost made to feel like her best friend. Lovely read x
Edel
Jan 07, 2011 Edel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone pregnant,trying for a baby or just after having one
Recommended to Edel by: magazine
Shelves: non-fiction
This is more then a pregnancy journal.. Jools talks us through the stuggle and hopes and fears of trying for a baby that is reassuring if you have ever struggled trying to hav a baby.. The book is quite funny in parts too that would suit you even if you were not trying for a baby.. It is very touching and tells you honestly what trying for a baby, getting pregnant,labour,straight after labour and the toddler years are really like..
Natalie Jones
I found this a really easy read. Jools Oliver's style of writing was like she was just chatting to you about her experience, even as someone not having a baby or having had a baby I still found it a good read. She was very open and honest with her experience without being to gory and factual on things. Nice to read a true human account of pregnancy and birth and the WHOLE year after with the good, the bad and the ugly in it.
Jess
Mar 28, 2008 Jess rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
I read this along with quite a few other books on motherhood when I got pregnant with my daughter. This was by far the worst one. I could barely finish it. I don't think the subject material is so very bad, but the writing... I really try not to be overly critical just because she has a famous husband, but I really really do not think that a "mere mortal" could have gotten this book published. It's horrible.
Libby
This was an interesting read. It certainly does contain some very honest details...details that people don't normally discuss - for that reason itself the book is charming. Bad points are a clunky writing style and tendency towards (celebrity and brand)name dropping and extreme over anxious behaviour (which I found very annoying).
Bea Bolinger
It's not like I was expecting to be inspired - it just looked like a cute little read about a young woman becoming a mom - and at first it was but then... well I don't care if your husband is Jamie Oliver, you should have more to offer personally before writing a book about yourself.
Lisa
A really heartwarming, hilarious, compelling and honest read!! A great story for mums to be or new mums or on my part, just to remind me of the wonders of motherhood. There are also some fantastic healthy recipes & tips and useful information at the end of the book.
Shona
This was a pretty candid, but reasonably superficial, diary of the authors journey from pre-conception to 9 months old. A very light and quick read. I read it, I am ashamed to say, because I like her husband.

A beach towel and this book go hand in hand
Melissa
Jools Oliver tells her pregnancy stories. A guide to everything including becoming pregnant with a newborn. No thanks. Some good tips but an easy read and a nice story. I like that she was honest and didn't leave out the gorey details.
Lisa (scarlet21)
This was a pretty honest, realsitic and often amusing account of pre-during and after pregnancy. It made me laugh out loud with her account of what she packed for hospital and then admitted she didn't need a third of it!!
Anne
This is Jamie Oliver's wife's account of getting & being pregnant. It's fine but only worth a read if you are going through the process yourself and therefore obsessed enough to be interested in this sort of read.
Caroline
Loved this book! I brought it when I was pregant with my 2nd and I really enjoyed it, it was a helpful insight to how to cope with 2 children born close togther! very funny & heart warming a must for all mums x x
Dheeshana
Enjoyable for the lightheartedness, but the prose itself was a bit too inexperienced and childlike for the book to be a really good read. Nevertheless an interesting look at motherhood by a very devoted mother.
Ede
It's an easy read for an expecting or a new mom - makes you feel reassured that even "the bold and the beautiful" might be having the same problems, worries and joys (when it comes to having babies) as all of us.
Diana
A sweetly written book by Jools Oliver, wife of chef Jaime Oliver, when she was pregnant and raising her daughters in England. It's so fun to 'hear' the British accent in the words.
Caroline
As a non-pregnant non-Mum I can unequivocally state that I loved this book, and have been forcing it upon pregnant women of my acquaintance ever since! :D
Stacey
Aug 25, 2008 Stacey rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mommies
Pretty good. Not groundbreaking writing, but entertaining and light. Lots to relate to if you're a new mom, or even a second time mom.
Erin
Didn't bother to finish it. Skimmed and was disinterested. The writing was at a very junior level.
Chantelle Andrews
Interesting book but scary for someone without children as yet. Very honest account of good and bad times!
  • Dannii: My Story
  • The Complete Organic Pregnancy
  • Great with Child: Letters to a Young Mother
  • The Happiest Baby on the Block and The Happiest Toddler on the Block 2-Book Bundle
  • Heartfelt Discipline: The Gentle Art of Training and Guiding Your Child
  • Together: Growing Appetites for God (True Woman)
  • Growing Grateful Kids: Teaching Them to Appreciate an Extraordinary God in Ordinary Places
  • The Duties Of Parents
  • Seasons of a Mothers Heart
  • The Shaping of a Christian Family
  • Rattled!: A Memoir
  • Parenting Beyond Your Capacity: Connect Your Family to a Wider Community
  • The Blessing
  • The Natural Pregnancy Book: Herbs, Nutrition, and Other Holistic Choices
  • You Can't Make Me (But I Can Be Persuaded): Strategies for Bringing Out the Best in Your Strong-Willed Child
  • Fifteen Minutes Outside: 365 Ways to Get Out of the House and Connect with Your Kids
  • The Things Between Us: A Memoir
  • The Baby Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Trouble-Shooting Tips & Advice on First-Year Maintenance
Minus Nine to One: The Diary of an Honest Mum The Adventures Of Dotty And Bluebell