The Warlord Wants Forever (Immortals After Dark #1)

The Warlord Wants Forever (Immortals After Dark #1)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  23,982 ratings  ·  892 reviews

#1 New York Times bestselling author Kresley Cole makes her audio debut with the first title in her spellbinding Immortals After Dark series....

The Warlord

Nikolai Wroth, a ruthless vampire general, will stop at nothing to find his Bride, the one woman who can “blood” him, making his heart beat and filling him with strength. Coldly interested o...more
Audio CD, 4 pages
Published August 2nd 2011 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published 2006)

Kat Kennedy
Do you know a woman who's bitchy, non-compliant and difficult?

According to Cole, the answer to this is that she's just too damn empowered and has too many rights!

unempowered
Surely relinquishing her unappreciated freedoms and rights will make her abundantly happy... and compliant... and slutty...

I hear an objection from the Kresley Cole fans and in the interest of fair media representation, I'll relay it to the rest of you. "But Kat, the novels ends with Wroth and Myst in an equal relationship where Myst ha...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Reread Completed for Immortals After Dark 2013 Group Reread (July 5-7, 2013)

This is the one that started it all. It's been great to go and revisit the first book of one of my favorite paranormal romance series (and book series) of all time. Even after rereading again it so many years later, it still holds an enormous appeal. I just fell into this story head-first. I have to say that the world that Kresley Cole has built stands distinctive and very strongly in the genre. This book reads more lik
Stacia (out of inspiration)
Adult review for erotic content

"You're the most malicious bitch I've ever known."
"Flatterer," she chirped.

Waitress : Welcome to the Fetish Cafe. Please feel feel to browse our menu and I'll be back to take your order shortly.

Me : No need. I already know what I want. It's been a rough week and I could use some stress relief. Can you send over a man who has the ability to produce instant *cough* uh...you know...the big "O," on command?

Waitress : (raises an eyebrow) You do realize what you're...more
Dina
The Warlord Wants Forever is the short story that introduces the Immortal After Dark series...

From Kresley Cole's website:

Nikolai Wroth, once a ruthless human warlord in the 1700s and now a general in the rebel vampire army, needs to find his Bride, the one woman who can render him truly alive. As a turned human, he doesn’t enjoy a heartbeat or breaths and is consequently weaker than fully blooded vampires. He wants his Bride for the power she will bring him and can hardly believe it when his he
Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
5 stars

The Warlord Wants Forever is a fantastic beginning to a fabulous series!

Karla encourage me to go back and read the first book (novella) before starting the 8th book in the Immortals After Dark series, Deep Kiss of Winter. She said that reading this novella would help me fully understand the events that take place in the 8th book.

To be honest, I wasn't overly excited about reading this novella. I figured after seven books I had a fairly good understanding of the amazing but complex world K...more
Pam
Feb 25, 2014 Pam rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Pam by: Pigi
Shelves: fantastical, 4, erotica, vamps
4 stars
Play at love and act at surrender.

Myst is a Valkyrie that is sent to lure and bait prey until her and her sisters can go for their kill. Wroth is a Forbearer, a Vampire Warlord who is respected for his cunning mind and fighting skills. Myst is unlike any creature he has ever met, she is beautiful, strong, and completely out of her ever loving mind!
“You’re mad, aren’t you?”

“As— a— hatter,” she whispered back conspiratorially.

Myst blooded Wroth but unlike her other conquests, she le...more
Brittany B.
Updated Review:
For an IAD 1st short story, this is a 4.5 on my scale... But I could be biased.

Thus, I'm leaving my first review of this book below. It's how I felt at the time, and the male narrator honestly does a grating impression of the Count from Sesame Street for his performance of vampire, Nikolai Wroth.

However, after reading more of the series, and wishing for more audiobooks of the series (as performed by the full series narrator: Robert Petkoff, who is an unbelievable genius) I went...more
Miss Fifi
Lets bake our first cake here, the yummy The Warlord Wants Forever cake. Picture below:

description

Ingredients

1 teaspoon hot vampire(turned human)
1 teaspoon beautiful valkyrie(fey)
3 tablespoons chemistry
50 mL hatred towards each other
120 g actions
1½ cups romance
1/2 cup misunderstanding
1 teaspoon apology
2 1/2 cups happiness

Method

1. Sift together the chemistry, the vampire and valkyrie into a medium bowl. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat actions and romance together until...more
Jessica (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

So. Paranormal Romance. A lot of readers don’t see a huge difference between PNR and Urban Fantasy. I do. And for the most part, I infinitely prefer UF—more save the world, less cheerleader.

Exhibit A: my sister and I were reading a well-known PNR a few years ago, our version of a buddy read (b/c I was like ten books ahead of her), and we’d shoot each other texts, snickering and generally carrying on, BUT the most often made comment was, “If someone hisses in pleasure one...more
Gokce ~Muslin Myst~
Robin (Bridge Four)
3.5 Stars - For a novella it is pretty solid

The best thing about reading the prequel to this series first is you can decide in 163 pages if this is a series that might be interesting to you without a huge commitment. I’m going to say that I’m in you had me at Valkyrie. Why, you might ask, it isn’t the normal PNR lore, I’ve only read one other book with a Valkyrie in it and I love it when different mythologies are used in books.

This has the typical alpha-male role that is almost over-the-top but...more
Tai the Lioness
The Warlord Wants Forever: really short fun read by the romance master that is Kresley Cole

Alright, I am OFFICIALLY caught up with the whole Immortals After Dark series. It is so much fun to see how kresley cole's writing has improved. However, I must say the fact that she improved is a testament because she started off amazing anyways. This was a really awesome read. i couldn't give it 5 stars simply because I have been tainted by already haven read her later works. Therefore, it is near imposs...more
Iva
First time read: June 1st, 2011. (Maybe even before)
Re-read: 21st April, 2013. Stil the best!

"Five years of hell! You deserve to be fu*ked until you can't walk!"

Oh God, why does that line always get me excited?? :P Mmmm Nikolai Wroth, the warrior. Wish myself one warrior too *bites lip* And a good one like this too...

Now she felt frustration as she’d never known. "Wroth, don’t be stupid."
In a low, steady tone, he said, "I love you, Myst."
Feeling erupted in her chest to answer his words. Yes,
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
A great beginning to a series! I liked the type of characters and the world being setup here.

I've been wanting to start this for such a long time! I wish the story could've been longer to develop better, but it was funny, entertaining, sexy, with just a little bit of action.

For the most part I liked the characters in this novel, although at times their emotions didn't feel believable. And I also liked the characters around them. The Valkyrie are a funny bunch!

With Wroth and Myst it was... love...more
Merve  Özcan
Çok sevdiğim bir seri, gerçekten birçok mitolojik yaratık içeriyor.Her sayfası, her kitabı ayrı bir güzel.
Karakterlerin çelişkileri, aşkları, umutsuzluklarını... Kitabı okurken bende yaşıyorum. Yazarın dili sizi sıkmıyor. Her sayfa göz açıp kapayıncaya kadar geçiyor ve sonunda yüzünüzde bir gülümseme ile bittiği için üzülüyorsunuz.
Maria
It’s been some time that I wanted to read the Immortals After Dark series by Kresley Cole and I thought that I should start with this novella. And I have to say that this book is a very promising start!

The story is about Wroth, a general in the vampire army and Myst, a Valkyrie. Vampires and Valkyries are mortal enemies so, as you can guess, nothing is easy with this couple. In the story we’ve been introduce to this world when all this of fantasy and mythology exist.

Wroth is clearly an alpha ma...more
Dee
Originally read in April 2011 and gave it ★★★★★

Having recently re-read Lothaire decided to go ahead and re-read the whole series again. I have used them as part of a group challenge to re-read a much loved series but can only read one book a month.....Not sure I am gonna be able to hold off reading the others but only time will tell :)

★★★★

I originally read this book April 2011 and rated it 5 stars. Obviously I still enjoyed it this time but know that this doesn't equal the quality of some of the...more
Crystal~BIG book addict~
3.5 Stars!

Val Hall

Nikolai Wroth

Myst

Full review to come.
Karla
Like all of the books in the IAD series, this one did not disappoint. I've read all the others and saved the first one for last...go figure. Nikolai and Myst are so good together. Kresley Cole just has a knack for pairing great characters. My only complaint is that they needed a longer story. I wish she would write a reference book to keep track of all the characters and events that take place.
kristina

maybe I'll write a review . .
Kelly
Holy hotness, Batman! Why did nobody sit me down and give me a stern lecture on why I needed to start this series ages ago? I mean, whoa.

Love, love, love the mythology laid out here. It's layered and complex enough that I can imagine a lot of different scenerios that Kresley Cole can give us without the storylines feeling stale or recycled. Let's face it, that's pretty darn awesome.

Despite the short length of this story (113 pages or so in PDF format), I never felt like we were shorted on charac...more
Mel
The Warlord Wants Forever is the first in the Immortal After Dark series by Kresley Cole. The story features the eldest of the Wroth brothers, Nikolai, and the most beautiful Valkyrie of them all: Myst the Coveted.

Myst is playing bait in a vampire dungeon when Nikolai, as general of a vampire rebel group, frees her. Nikolai is immediately intrigued by Myst. She however tries to play Nikolai like she does every man. When they find out Myst is Nikolai’s Bride, she does the worst thing imaginable...more
~J~ Riverina Romantics
I read this novella quite a while ago but wanted to make sure it was added to Riverina Romantics because this series is a laugh a minute. Kresley Cole and the Immortals After Dark series is one of my all time favourites. The romance is always super sexy, the characters are always loveable and the best part for me is that it is always filled with a huge dose of sarcastic humour.

Nikolai (a vampire) & Myst (a Valkyrie) introduce us into the world of the Immortals After Dark and will keep you t...more
Shawna
4 ½-5 stars – Paranormal/Vampire Romance

I read this Immortals After Dark story/novella in the Playing Easy to Get anthology. It's the story of vampire warrior Nikolai Wroth's quest to claim his Bride, the beautiful and seductive enemy Valkyrie, Myst.
Plamena

I was really excited to start the Immortals After Dark series. I’ve heard a lot about these books.

Well... This novella did not disappoint. Yes...it is short and that explains the lack of details...but I enjoyed reading about Nikolai Wroth and Myst the Coveted. Their love story is really sweet.

Basically Myst is strong, independent, beautiful, incapable of love and quite old immortal creature. She values her freedom and Nikolai (a general in the rebel vampire army) makes the mistake to t...more
Greta is Erikasbuddy
Good gawd!!

Ok... why the hell is this song in my head?

(just in case YOUTUBE is dissing on out of States peoples --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_mPgh... )

Because Sweet Zombie Jebus was that HAWT!!

Short, sweet, sexy as hell, and with a plot!!

Dear BOB!!

Ok... my girlies!! I seriously think in order to read this one you should at least read 4 of Cole's books to get the jist of this... or AT LEAST the first one :) I think I'd be a tad bit confused if thi...more
Sunny

Rating: 4.5 Stars

I loved this short story by Kresley. I am a big fan of her "Immortals after Dark" series. This was the first but I wasn't aware of it until later. I actually loved the couple and I think I liked it being a shorter story. As much as I love IAD Series, I always felt it took so long for the couple to finally get together. Being a shorter story, it seemed about perfect to me. I like Myst unlike some of her other sisters. Nikoli was hot and yummy. Definitely one of the better stories...more
Bobbi Romans
I'd fallen away from Kresleys works. Not for any reason I can remember. Maybe time held me back.

I'm kicking myself in the a_ _.

Again, I find all area's covered. Angst, heat, sorrow, hope, love and even laughter. (Gotta love Nix)

This is another of Kresley's works I started and couldn't put down until down.

The story of Wroth and Myst.

Wroth envisions his bride. Has saved himself (in a sense) back for her, with dreams of how perfect life will be. Little does he know that like in so many of the war...more
Tara
I liked it. I'm starting the series and I hope this was a nice warm up. If the rest continue this path, I should enjoy this series. The only thing that threw me a little was it felt like a story set in ancient times, hundreds of years ago, even though it's set now. So the references to things like xbox and pussycat dolls, felt a little jarring. Like the author was trying to remind me that this was the here and now.
  • Eternal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, #1, Demonica, #6)
  • A Taste of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #9.5)
  • The Darkest Surrender  (Lords of the Underworld, #8)
  • Playing Easy to Get (Includes: B.A.D. Series, #1.5; Vikings Underground, #3; Immortals After Dark, #1)
  • Play of Passion (Psy-Changeling, #9)
  • Quinn's Undying Rose (Scanguards Vampires, #6)
  • About a Dragon (Dragon Kin, #2)
Kresley Cole is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the electrifying Immortals After Dark paranormal series and the young adult Arcana Chronicles. She has also written five award-winning historical romances.

Since her first novel was released in 2003, Kresley has published twenty-two books with Simon & Schuster and has seen her releases translated into more than eighteen foreign langua...more
More about Kresley Cole...
A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #2) No Rest for the Wicked (Immortals After Dark, #3) Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night (Immortals After Dark, #4) Dark Desires After Dusk (Immortals After Dark, #6) Dark Needs at Night's Edge (Immortals After Dark, #5)

“How old are you?”
“Physiologically, I’m twenty-five. Chronologically, I’m…not.”
83 likes
“When she scooped up her clothes, opened his door, then snapped her fingers for a guard down the hall, Wroth watched like a bystander.

“Pssst. Minion. I need these laundered. Very little starch. Don’t just stand there gawking or you’ll anger my good frenemy General Wroth. We’re like this.”

He couldn’t see her but knew she was twining two fingers together.”
77 likes