Sophie's Misfortunes (The Fleurville Trilogy, #1)

Sophie's Misfortunes (Fleurville #1)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  1,336 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Sophie is a naughty little girl, she delights in disobeying her mother and engaging in mischievious pranks. Sophie unintentionally melts her favourite wax doll and gets into trouble when she stands outside in the rain to make her hair curl. Why can't she be well behaved like her cousin Paul and her two delightfully sensible friends Camille and Madeleine?

The Author
Sophie...more
Published December 1st 2010 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1857)

Ilhem
quelle fille cette Sophie !!
Elle me fait rire beaucoup :D

Paula
My edition of this rather delightful book is dated 1892 and was once owned by an Aileen Frank at Miss Burke's School. Given to me by a friend back in 1971 or 1972, and carried from house to house until its more-than-a-century-old binding is in tatters, I finally got around to reading Les Malheurs de Sophie.

Les Malheurs de Sophie is a 19th century French children's book, not a novel but rather a series of episodes intended to instruct. These are moral lessons, though much more amusing and less di...more
Kate
I realise this book was written in another era, all the same, I found the mistreatment of Sophie's poor, short lived pets rather alarming and by the end of it, was quite angered at her stupid mother for allowing her young daughter to have yet another pet, which again suffered a horrible death, though the girl was given absolutley no instructions what-so-ever to care for them.
Elizabeth
May 28, 2008 Elizabeth rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Marie-Claude
am in the process of rereading this childhood book from "la bibliotheque rose"....interessant....
dubious. its not the old fashion that bothers me as much as the obvious impossibilities for a 4 yr old. Either that or kids were a lot more mature in those days-which i kinda doubt
Kirsti
This is a French classic, but it kind of made me a little sick. In the course of 214 pages, Sophie kills or witnesses get killed a bowl of fish, a bee, a squirrel, a cat, a bullfinch, a donkey and a tortoise. Every time an animal was introduced I knew it would be dead in a few pages. One or two I can understand, but this macabre procession of dead animals would have terrified me as a child. There is nothing good in Sophie, she's like the spawn of the devil. She constantly lies, fights, disobeys...more
Charlotte
This is an exceptional book about a naughty little girl living in france in the 1400's. It is the first book in the trilogy and it is written very well. Sophie gets into all amounts of trouble. It is suitable for ages 5-100 and it is very nice to read at night and hard to put down! I hope you enjoy it!
Konstanze
There are two amazing facts about this book: one, that my not very good French is actually good enough to follow the plot*, and two, that the human species still exists after 19th century educational methods.

* Granted, it's not overly complicated.**

** It's actually just a lot of animal cruelty so far.
Anne
Mon tout premier livre de la Comtesse de Ségur. Vraiment très bon! Même si j'ai trouvé que Sophie agissait plutôt comme une fille de 6 ou 7 ans et non comme une fille de 3-4 ans. Ses parents étaient de plus pas mal sévères avec une enfant si jeune. Mais comme les malheurs de Sophie étaient amusants!
Addie
To be honest, I read this book because it was written by the Comtesse de Ségur and I felt like a cultural duty to read one of her book. Maybe it was a mistake. I ended up pretty disappointed by Les Malheurs de Sophie. Keeping in mind the fact that it is a children's book, I can't stop myself from thinking that it was way too redundant. So much that it makes me feel kind of frustrated most of the time. The same stories happen all over again with the same horribly predictable conclusion. Neverthel...more
Clare Cannon
So French and perhaps a little old-fashioned, but refreshingly so. Sophie is always getting up to mischief, and it's delightful reading about it!
Lynn Plourde
My love of reading came from these books!
Ana Filipa
Pois como o próprio nome indica, Sofia é uma criança que passa a vida a fazer disparates.
Está constantemente em alvoroço, com uma enorme ânsia de fazer coisas, de ter coisas. Muito irrequieta.
É constantemente repreendida pela mãe que lhe ensina os bons costumes, as boas maneiras, como se há-de portar. Incute-lhe disciplina, castiga-a.
Tantas tentativas que acabam por ser levadas em vão. Sofia quase nunca se deixa levar. Promete mudar, promete ser bem comportada mas nada a detém.
É através do seu p...more
وردٌ شاميّ
صوفي ذات الأربعة أعوام هي كابوس كل أم، فهي طفلة مشاغبة عنيدة نهمة، ولذهنها قدرة عجيبة على اختراع الحماقات.

تعرفت إلى رواية الكونتس دو سيغور أول مرة كجزء من دروس الفرنسية، وشاهدتها من ثم كرسوم متحركة بالعربية وبالفرنسية. ورغم مضي السنين، جعلتني قراءتها أسترجع كل الذكريات الجميلة التي اختزنتها عن صوفي ومتاعبها التي لا تنتهي والعالم الجميل الذي تدور فيه حكاياتها.
Ashley
This book was the very first book that got me into reading all those years ago back when i was very young , and I've loved it ever since. It has been translated into English it's called "Sophie's Misfortunes" definitely check other out (: I can't wait to re-read it and continue on with the trilogy x
Kristine
This is probably the first Frech novel I've read (en français, of course). I enjoyed even though most of the time Sophie is punished by her own 'ideas'. The story is funny and I am quite amused. However, there are a lot of animal abuse in the story which is bothering for me.
Anj Kumar
This is a pretty messed up book (despite being a French classic!) Not only does the main character, Sophie, kill a fish, a donkey, a cat, a squirrel, a bee and a tortoise, and they all seemed to die in a pretty horrific ay ( I think the donkey got squashed by the carriage)... This girl is like the devil's child, she kills everything she sees and she is just way too naughty (her parents are so laid back). Although in a lot of books, a character learns from their mistakes. However, Sophie does not...more
Charlotte
Brilliant book of a naughty little french girl
Penney
Sophie was very happy with this book and can't wait to read the sequel but I found I agreed with some of the other reviews posted on GoodReads. A four year old let alone to go in a donkey carriage, by herself, with all parents in town? A girl allowed to keep no less than (serially) a bird, a squirrel, a cat, a donkey, a tortoise - effectively mistreating and killing them all!?! I was worried for my poor Sophie's sensitive nature (she finds watching Nemo terrifying) but she seemed to enjoy this w...more
Linda

Those poor unfortunate creatures!! The madness of Mama in continuing to let little sadistic Sophie have any more pets is simply appalling!! The stories are gorgeous - just keep reminding yourself that she's apparently only 3, because Sophie darling is mischief personified. Not for sensitive readers who won't cope with little goldfish being chopped up with a pocket knife (I kid you not!)
Lija
This book was... interesting, to say the least. It's a lot darker than most childrens books with many ( at least 5) animals being killed off. My problem is that Sophie did all sorts of naughty things and made all sorts of mistakes (perfectly normal is children's books) however, she never learnt.
Csilla
It was my first book in French, and I'm just happy that I was able to understand it. :) About Sophie: I don't know if I should laugh at or be horrified by this child. It is a cute novel anyway. Good for kids, future parents (to get prepared) and those who would like to practice French.
Sophie
loved this one, the plot was extremely enjoyable and the characters likeable. i would have liked to have read it when i was younger, it's such a lovely children's book.
Rebecca
What a delight this book was! Read with my daughter before bedtime, we giggled our way through the incredibly daft and naughty things poor Sophie gets up to. Highly enjoyable to read a good story from another era with positive values.
Edith
bon on ne rit pas! ça fait plus d'un mois que j'attends que mon envie de relire la comtesse de Ségur me passe... Visiblement ça ne passe pas. Je n'ai pas réussi à retrouver mes livres de la bibliothèque rose, alors je le lis en ebook.
Teresa
Um dos livros mais cómicos que já li. Este livro retrata o dia-a-dia de uma criança traquinas que tem por hábito meter-se em confusões.
Carolina
É muito engraçado!!!
Marie-Josée
Un classique! J'ai tellement aimé les histoires de la petite Sophie quand j'étais petite.
Marina Zarur
Trauma de infância esse livro... Ela era super malvada com os peixinhos e tal. Achei horrível.
Noemia
Quando li não teria mais de 10-11 anos - lembro que era uma história muito divertida....
  • La Petite Fadette
  • Le Lion
  • La guerre de Troie n'aura pas lieu
  • O Rapaz de Bronze
  • Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang
  • Le jeu de l'amour et du hasard
Sophie, Countess of Ségur (née Countess Sofiya Feodorovna Rostopchina; Saint Petersburg, 1 August 1799 - Paris, 9 February 1874) was a French writer of Russian birth.

She is best known today for her novel Les Malheurs de Sophie ("Sophie's Misfortunes"). The action takes place in a castle in the French countryside during the Second French Empire, where Sophie lives with her parents Mr and Mrs de Réa...more
More about Comtesse de Ségur...
Les Petites Filles Modèles Un bon petit diable Les vacances (Comtesse de Ségur, Tome 03) Les Mémoires d'un âne Après La Pluie, Le Beau Temps