Start by marking “A Love Letter from a Stray Moon” as Want to Read:
A Love Letter from a Stray Moon

A Love Letter from a Stray Moon

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  70 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
In this fictional tour de force Jay Griffiths, author of the acclaimed Wild, creates a portrait of the artist Frida Kahlo—her devastating accident and her love for Diego Rivera—that is also a celebration of the spirit of poetry and the art of rebellion.
Published September 10th 2013 by Text Publishing Company (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Love Letter from a Stray Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Love Letter from a Stray Moon

Emma Makes
May 29, 2011 Emma Makes rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book - I mean, it's billed as a poetic re-imagining of the life of Frida Kahlo; I expected a dense story with all the passion and intensity of Frida Kahlo herself.

However, having read Frida Kahlo's diary, a book of letters she wrote and others texts - having seen the film Frida and having recently read another take on her story, The Lacuna, I was disappointed.

At times there were glimpses of what I was looking for - in the description of her life during the times pain
K
Dec 11, 2011 K rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
Forced and incredibly self-conscious. I wanted to love this but really did not.

No plot to speak of, clearly derivative of the central autobiography of her life. This really does not do her justice.
Brenna Heagney
Apr 24, 2012 Brenna Heagney rated it it was ok
The language was beautiful for 47 pages and then it just got annoying.
Elizabeth Eames
Mar 07, 2015 Elizabeth Eames rated it really liked it
Beautiful language!spell binding language! I enjoyed the poetry of the words very much. I did feel like I was watching the movie..Frida...as quite a few of the quotes were in that movie. I am not sure it is an accurate picture of what Frida would think but it is a work of fiction, so who cares. Just enjoy the language.
Amy
Jan 21, 2016 Amy added it
Recommends it for: Art lovers or those who like their literature to have a strong voice
I read this a year ago when I was sent an ARC that I had won from Text Publishing. As a reader who's 'real life' is as an art student, I fell in love instantly.
What I said then and still stand by today:

Lyrical, crude, engaging and rebellious. - A Love Letter from a Stray Moon is the essence, heart and art that was the life of Frida Kahlo. Jay Griffiths has captured and presented the tale in a way that isn’t just a story, but an adventure the reader experiences as they traverse the pages. For lo
Valeria Ponce moreno
pasable esperaba más
Loril Palomares
Tenía ganas de leer sobre Frida Kahlo, pero este libro no mostró todo lo que pensaba. No está mal, sin embargo hay partes donde se me hizo monótono y un poco aburrido. Quizás mis expectativas eran demasiado altas.
Susan
Feb 11, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
This is a tiny book with a huge canvas. While it occasionally misses the mark, the language is startling. Frida Kahlo is the subject of the book and so all the things I know about her come into the novel, but Jay Griffiths adds more, adds an emotional level that grips you.
Wandzia
Aug 23, 2011 Wandzia rated it it was amazing
A beautiful poetic account of Frida's life...with Jay Griffiths use of language spilling from a spice box! This is a book that sings to you...felt as though I was breathing in a part of Frida Kahlo!
Martina
Mar 03, 2015 Martina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book makes me want to go to the moon and kiss her cold, solitary lips.
Artemisjane
Artemisjane rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Lady Demelza
Lady Demelza rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Celyn
Celyn marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Mauro Gonzalez
Mauro Gonzalez marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
M
M rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2016
miss t sharpe
miss t sharpe rated it it was amazing
Feb 29, 2016
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
DANIELA
DANIELA marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Ruth Hunt
Ruth Hunt rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
Joana Martinho
Joana Martinho marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Kevin Borman
Kevin Borman rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Tove
Tove rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Ross Notman
Ross Notman rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2015
Pablo Di francesco
Pablo Di francesco marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Fiona Carnie
Fiona Carnie marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
A.L.W
A.L.W added it
Oct 20, 2015
amy
amy marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Md Ahnaf
Md Ahnaf marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jay Griffiths was born in Manchester and studied English Literature at Oxford University. She spent a couple of years living in a shed on the outskirts of Epping Forest and has travelled the world, but for many years she has been based in Wales.
More about Jay Griffiths...