Start by marking “The Shoe Box” as Want to Read:
The Shoe Box

The Shoe Box

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  1,350 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
This Christmas novella tells the unforgettable story of little Timmy, a foster child with a very special and mysterious shoe box. Designed for gift-giving, this heartwarming book features new illustrations, updated content including Francine Rivers favorite holiday recipes and Christmas traditions and the complete Christmas story from the New Living Translation."
Published December 22nd 2010 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published October 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Shoe Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shoe Box

Alexa
Sep 18, 2015 Alexa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this at Christmas and it was absolutely adorable! Many many moons ago.
Alleluialu
Nov 30, 2013 Alleluialu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
This is another one of those little hardcover books I took out of our local library to read for the Christmas Spirit Reading Challenge. Again, it was predictable but sweet - just the kind of book you want to read at Christmastime. The author wrote an introduction about how she came up with the idea for "The Shoe Box" and among the pages are little stories about how she remembers her mother whenever she makes chocolate chip cookies including the recipe! There are other little stories and recipes ...more
Amber
Dec 23, 2015 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks-library
This was a pretty good short story about a boy named Timmy who had a shoe box of treasures that he gave to the Lord during a play reenactment about the birth of Jesus. The story also includes recipes and memories from the author as well as the Christmas story. Look for this book at your local library and wherever books are found.
Hattie
Dec 03, 2015 Hattie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this holiday story, The Shoe Box: A Christmas Story,by Francine Rivers. It's about Timmy. Timmy isn't able to enjoy the holidays with his biological parents. His father is in prison and his mother is striving to live day by day. Timmy carries around a shoe box. The lid is all red. The box is with him wherever he goes.

I liked the story because Timmy isn't from a perfect home, and he isn't having a perfect Christmas. His father is in prison. This story made me think about the les
Sandy
Jan 08, 2015 Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a sweet story. All the things we should put in a box for God sometimes get put by the wayside. If we do what Timmy did we will be able to lead a more grateful life. The author also tells us about how she made a God box and put her worries in it so she could give them to God and not keep them herself. Such a great idea.

Warning: don't read this at work because you might do what I did and get teary-eyed.
Cortney
Dec 19, 2008 Cortney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a quick read, cute book by an Author that I really enjoy reading her books. This would be a nice story to read to a child. It is a super quick read and the Author shares holiday recipes throughout. I read the whole book this morning.
Trish Niehaus
Jul 17, 2015 Trish Niehaus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short but super sweet
Polly Watson
Dec 23, 2012 Polly Watson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
**What follows is not only very personal, but has a faith-filled message. Read at your own discretion:

I try to read Francine Rivers' THE SHOE BOX every year for Christmas. It is such a wonderful, sweet little book about a boy full of faith even in the worst of circumstances. Little Timmy has his box of "things" that he gives to Jesus one Christmas....and Jesus accepts Timmy's box of "things" just as if they're THE MOST IMPORTANT TREASURES in the world--even the "things" are simple, ordinary, eve
Helen
Dec 17, 2015 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Shoe Box is a very short story about Timmy and how he comes to live with foster parents and his attachment to a shoe box, until he is in a Christmas program at church.

I am giving this book 4's because of how short it is. I think it could have been a very good story if it was written into a real book, not a mini story. However, for how short the story is, it has very good examples to try to live by.
Kimberlee
Aug 25, 2012 Kimberlee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
E.A Henley
I have read this book many times, and it comes out of a box, literally, with the Christmas decorations and is placed on the coffee table. It's a short read and one that inspires one to savor the simple pleasures we have but tend to overlook, something that is so important during any season. During the Christmas season it becomes even more touching. An amazing read for such a small book.
Beverly
Dec 05, 2014 Beverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Faith

A book filled with family Christmas traditions and recipes. A warm story of how a family CNN place they're worries concerns and prayers. After a period of time sit before Jesus Christ in a family group or your own personal prayer time and see how God took care of each worry, concern or prayer. A Faith Builder.
Eileen Carter
Apr 06, 2014 Eileen Carter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet short story about faith and love. Timmy has parents who can't take care of him at this time in his life, so he goes to live with a couple who understand he is sad and needs time to adjust. With their patient ways and living hearts they watch him fine out of his shell and become a happy little boy like he should be.
Kaitlin VanNahmen
A sweet story about a troubled boy and his way of dealing with the difficult things in his life. Rivers includes family recipes and stories. A quick read for the holiday season.
Nancy Reed
Mar 18, 2016 Nancy Reed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sweet little book. Quick read

An uplifting reminder there is a God in heaven who loves us,each one
He watches over each of us so tenderly
Lori
Nov 24, 2014 Lori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A charming little story of a young boy who offers his all to the Christ Child. I liked the emphasis on the loving care of our Savior over His children.
Dacia
Dec 31, 2015 Dacia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Moving Christmas Story, well written.
Gretchen
Nov 25, 2014 Gretchen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely story to begin Christmas celebrations!
Bettie Gross
Jun 15, 2016 Bettie Gross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous book to read but a tear jerker
Maria
Nov 23, 2014 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short & sweet novella.
Mary Beth
Nov 18, 2014 Mary Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a sweet short story!
Jaqui
Nov 25, 2015 Jaqui rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a sweet tale but very short
Michelle
I wouldn't say this was "good", but it definitely had a message. I would also say this is more for children. She is one of my favorite authors, but this is far from being her best. Again, it's more of a short message rather than a story/actual book. I think I finished within a hour while standing in a line. However, it is the second mention of a box (Redeeming Love was the first for me) that I am looking forward to starting my very own box.
Donna Brown
Simple book
Emelda
May 04, 2016 Emelda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heartwarming
Elizabeth
This really should be a one star book based on the writing and the quality of the story. I just hate to give one star to a book that is coming from a good place. Unfortunately it really is very poorly executed. I guess I'm compromising by giving a 2 star rating and a 1 star review.
Chandra Boulden
I liked the idea of her story however, she used it also in "Redeeming Love" so wasn't altogether "new". Still good. Could have had a lot more development, but nice to read at the Christmas time with a lot of activities.
Teri
Dec 04, 2010 Teri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, christmas, 2010
Get the hanky ready. It took about 20 min to read. Very sweet story. I liked that the author has peppered the book with short little Christmas remembrances, from favorite recipes to favorite music and traditions. Nice read.
Hillary
Very short read but powerful message
Jessie
Dec 17, 2008 Jessie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this Christmas story. It inspires you to look at what gifts we can give to our Savior. What "things" are most important to us and are we willing to give them away? It is a children's story with a great message.
  • How Mrs. Claus Saved Christmas (The Christmas Chronicles #2)
  • The Christmas Tree
  • Tidings of Comfort & Joy: A Tender Story of Love, Loss, and Reunion
  • The Christmas Scrapbook (Harmony, #5.5)
  • The Christmas Wish
  • The Christmas Candle
  • The Angel Doll: A Christmas Story
  • I Believe in Santa Claus
  • The Christmas Candle
  • The Christmas Hope (Christmas Hope, #3)
  • Prayers of a Stranger: A Christmas Story
  • The Christmas Shoppe
  • What Child Is This?: A Christmas Story
  • How Santa Got His Job
  • Finding Father Christmas (Father Christmas, #1)
  • Sarah's Song (Red Gloves, #3)
  • The Christmas Basket
  • The Nativity Story
New York Times best-selling author Francine Rivers began her literary career at the University of Nevada, Reno, where she graduated with a bachelor of arts degree in English and journalism. From 1976 to 1985, she had a successful writing career in the general market, and her books were highly acclaimed by readers and reviewers. Although raised in a religious home, Francine did not truly encounter ...more
More about Francine Rivers...