Start by marking “Incubation: A Space for Monsters” as Want to Read:
Incubation: A Space for Monsters

Incubation: A Space for Monsters

Poetry. Cross-Genre. Asian American Studies. In INCUBATION: A SPACE FOR MONSTERS, Bhanu Kapil "explores/creates a shiftful place for she who is neither one thing nor another. Girl as hybrid of light and dark, of human and machine, of baby and mother, of all motherless, body-bound things. Laloo is a traveler, hitchhiking through landscapes American and otherwise. A frighten ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Leon Works (first published January 2006)

Amira Hanafi
Mar 09, 2008 Amira Hanafi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borders
Beautiful red prose. Read red prose. The prose shifts as identity does. Have been thinking about borders, and read new idea: one girl can possess the border inside her. Bhanu Kapil sheds light on being other everywhere: India, England, America. Then sheds shadow on that which she lit. A partitioned girl.
Leslie
Nov 23, 2010 Leslie rated it it was amazing
"Will I love and be loved in return? White people are so tricky. I want that special love. I want that eager mouth, all wet and spooky with ice cream. I want that day in which, unbound, sticky, and bruised, as if from plastic surgery, I am half a woman and half something else."

Farren
Oct 24, 2009 Farren rated it it was amazing
HOLY SHITFIRE. Also,

As I was wading into Bhanu Kapil's "Incubation – A Space for Monsters" it became evident to me that I needed to read Donna Haraway's "Cyborg Manifesto" in order to understand what was meant by "Cyborg" and "Monster"--terms liberally deployed and conceptually integral in Kapil's verse novel.

Obviously Haraway's theory could be an entire class unto itself – but broadly, it's a reconstitution or a reexamination of traditional binaries (male/female, work/play, public/private, te
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Well, well.. I got onto GoodReads to review this bk expecting to be one of the only people to review it &, Lo & Behold!, there are ALOTOF reviews, some of them very analytical, & ALOTOF ratings, most of them very high. A few people consider this bk to be bullshit. Interesting. I didn't expect much of a readership, I didn't expect much analysis, I didn't expect much controversy. I reckon the publisher did a good job of promoting this bk. The publisher of my bk "footnotes", Six Gallery ...more
Marilyn
Nov 11, 2012 Marilyn rated it really liked it
Soooo compared to other well-informed reviews this one is going to sound a little Neanderthal. I read this for a writing class in school and we talked about it and such, but mostly sections and I came away with the feeling "WHAT did I just read...." But there was something I liked about it. I know that sounds kinda stupid, but I'm not really an avid reader of experimental writing, specifically because it makes me feel like a slobbering idiot. I should clarify: the teacher that had us read this t ...more
amber
Nov 01, 2007 amber rated it it was amazing
Would you like to participate in a blog project for Kelsey Street Press based on the work of Bhanu Kapil? Visit us here

to find out more or see detials below.

Send Us Your Vertical Answers

In the years since Vertical Interrogation for Strangers was published, Bhanu Kapil has received dozens of letters and emails from readers who have taken the questions that foreground the book’s structure and answered them in their own way. Listen to Bhanu say more about th
Matthew! Lawrence! Rohrer!
Feb 14, 2008 Matthew! Lawrence! Rohrer! rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: monsters
I gave this book four stars, because Dustin only gave it two and I want to disagree with him. My only reason for being on goodreads is to heckle Dustin Heron. No but seriously. I really liked this book. I don't know if it's necessarily supposed to be read as a novel. Cross genre. It has the author's phone number in it. I think. I sent it a text message but was afraid to call.
Dustin
Feb 06, 2008 Dustin rated it it was ok
If you're going to read this--and you have no reason to, what with all those thousands of really good, interesting, compelling books out there--it helps to read it as poetry rather than as a novel. Because its not a novel. Just a bunch of words in prose form. That said, I didn't hate it as much as I wanted to or as much as I probably should.
Tracy
Apr 12, 2015 Tracy rated it it was amazing
"I am writing to you, as always. This is the story about a girl who went too far. There were consequences, but I like to think of her, the girl who left hearth and home, as re-established in a town or city central to your country, washing dishes like a robot or falling in love with a needy, cool robot." (88)
Kat
Jul 29, 2007 Kat rated it liked it
There are many lovely, eerie, visceral, true moments in this book. I connected more with the introduction to the story more than the story itself, which was sometimes so fractured I had a hard time following it.
Jamie Erickson
Jun 30, 2015 Jamie Erickson rated it liked it
not my favorite of hers-- while I enjoyed the hitchhiking portions immensely I was less impressed with the birthing parts. I guess babies are little hitchhikers too but if you read it you will understand which sections I'm referring to.
Zach
Mar 09, 2009 Zach rated it really liked it
I'm reading Bhanu Kapil because she's judging a poetry contest that I plan to enter. Although I think she's wonderful, I don't think she'll like me very much. But, with a book like this, who cares? Rumor has it she wrote this in like two weeks. Very impressive.
Derek Fenner
Apr 21, 2011 Derek Fenner rated it really liked it
This text choked my sensibilities - made me breathe through some lungs other than my own. I finished it in a light rain which bounced off the pages, the book hidden in its own blood. I await more books from Bhanu Kapil, with urgency.
Marissa Perel
Sep 12, 2008 Marissa Perel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: renegades
Now that I no longer have the live presence of Bhanu Kapil around me, I find myself going back to her school of hard knocks via her prose - this book makes me feel my heart pound through my whole body.
Tara
Nov 12, 2009 Tara rated it did not like it
I learned that a writer can spew out whatever nonsense he/she wants onto a page, call it "experimental," and then have it published. I understand that things can be abstract, but there's a fine line between "abstract" and total BS. This crosses that line.

Chaneli
Jul 24, 2014 Chaneli rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
4.5
I really love this! Bhanu Kapil is one of the most interesting writers today and I just want to read evrything of hers.
Sarah Schantz
Feb 07, 2016 Sarah Schantz rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I read by Bhanu Kapil and I think it's still perhaps my favorite. If I ever teach Road Trip writing again, I will definitely teach this book.
Kristen Ringman
Jan 27, 2008 Kristen Ringman rated it it was amazing
brilliant and mesmorizing...
baby
Dec 21, 2016 baby rated it it was amazing
probably my favorite book tbh
Amanda
Mar 07, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
Gorgeous, vivid, and utterly original. The closest comparison I can think of for Bhanu Kapil is Richard Siken, but her work is so much more deeply felt than his. Highly recommended.
Seven
Jul 28, 2007 Seven rated it it was amazing
my professor's book (but totally being unbiased)...a wonderful prose story asking the question.."what is a girl"...
Emmanuel
Apr 07, 2008 Emmanuel rated it really liked it
confusing, but beautiful writing
Michelle Naka Pierce
Sep 07, 2008 Michelle Naka Pierce rated it it was amazing
See my discussion of this book: http://michellenakapierce.blogspot.co...
Kimberly
Oct 19, 2010 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a-poetry-list
love the second half
Sierra
Sierra rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2017
Trevor
Trevor rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2009
Tamryn
Tamryn rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Thuraya mahmoud
Thuraya mahmoud rated it did not like it
Jan 27, 2008
Chago
Chago rated it did not like it
Sep 04, 2011
Janna
Janna rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
  • Deepstep Come Shining
  • Cunt-Ups
  • Occasional Work and Seven Walks from the Office for Soft Architecture
  • Bright Felon: Autobiography and Cities
Bhanu Kapil [(born 1968)] lives in Colorado where she teaches writing and thinking at Naropa University’s Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics, as well as Goddard College’s low-residency MFA. She is the author of a number of full-length works of poetry/prose, including The Vertical Interrogation of Strangers (Kelsey Street Press, 2001), Incubation: a space for monsters (Leon Works, 2006), hu ...more
More about Bhanu Kapil...