Start by marking “Math Talk: Mathematical Ideas in Poems for Two Voices” as Want to Read:
Math Talk: Mathematical Ideas in Poems for Two Voices

Math Talk: Mathematical Ideas in Poems for Two Voices

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  37 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Who would have ever thought there was a direct way to connect mathematical concepts to poetry?
Creative juices were certainly at work when this book of mathematical dialogues was created by Theoni Pappas. It presents a
new way to enjoy and learn mathematical ideas via poetic dialogues read by two people. A new twist to mathematical themes.

—24 delightful and informative poeti
Published January 25th 1993 by Wide World Publishing (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Math Talk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Math Talk

Jolene Aho
Dec 13, 2014 Jolene Aho added it
Shelves: poems
“Math Talk: Mathematical Ideas in Poems for Two Voices” is a collection of twenty-five poems about math topics. The poems are meant to be read aloud by two people. Some of the mathematical concepts are too difficult for elementary students, but many could be used for this age group. Some appropriate ones include: “We are Numbers”, “Circles”, “One”, “Zero”, “Squares”, “The Even Numbers”, and “Proper Fractions”.

The poems in this book are free verse poetry because they are unrhymed. The poems are
Corey Lynch
Oct 06, 2014 Corey Lynch added it
Shelves: poetry
This book contains a collection of math themed poetry that talk about many different mathematical concepts. The poetry takes the form of two voices and contains pictures to go along with each poem. I picked out one poem in particular to discuss possible classroom applications for the poetry contained within the collection. The poem, titled We Are Numbers, starts with a series of counting lines up from one to six before switching to the relation between mathematical terms such as large/small and ...more
Claire
Jan 15, 2010 Claire rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who can get someone to stand next to them and read these out loud
This book is a performance piece. Poems in two voices. Love it. When we hit it right the performances gives us chills. I highly recommend getting a couple of copies and giving these poems a try. Wonderful language, wonderful math!
Janet Luch
Jun 04, 2016 Janet Luch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informational
I loved the idea of this book! The poems can be read by two people or by two groups. Sometimes the two voices read words separately and other times the same or different words are read together. This makes for a great reading experience. In addition, because the poems are about math concepts, the readers and listeners can question the meaning of the ideas presented or enjoy hearing readings about things they now understand. I would think that reading poems before and after studying a concept wou ...more
Leslie
Feb 15, 2013 Leslie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4870-books
Math Talk is a short book -- less than 70 pages, but I suspect is packed full of great potential conversations, writing, and thinking for anyone interested in math concepts. I am definitely not an expert in math, but I know enough about circles and spheres and integers to be intrigued with these poems. Because it is poetry, there are no long explanations, but lots of word-play--words that give the reader a peak into these foundational math concepts. It sent me to the dictionary and to the Intern ...more
Tatelyn Graves
Mar 25, 2015 Tatelyn Graves rated it really liked it
Shelves: 06-theatre
This book is so clever not only is it trying to have you solve math problems but it is talking in poems! its so fun!
Stacey
Jul 04, 2014 Stacey rated it liked it
Meant for higher level mathematicians.
J-Lynn
Nov 09, 2010 J-Lynn rated it really liked it
I can't speak for the accuracy of the math concepts in this book, but I love mixing math and literacy. These poems are well written and interactive since they are in two voices. The could provide a whole different look at mathematical concepts for students who are stronger in English and art. I know that if I had access to math poems as a kid, I might have developed a more favorable attitude toward math.
Shannon
Jul 13, 2012 Shannon rated it really liked it
Interesting poems. I plan to use this book to inspire my students to write some mathematical poems of their. Hopefully through using their own words and creativity it will give the mathematical concepts more meaning and help students remember them.
Ubalstecha
What a great way to through literature and reader's theater into the math classroom. This is an essential book for teachers. It will at a twist to your lessons that students won't see coming.
Michelle
Jul 28, 2011 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Great addition to just about any math classroom.
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Robyn Buck
Robyn Buck rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
Bob Wu
Bob Wu is currently reading it
May 26, 2016
Jsbella
Jsbella rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2016
Thesa Arrazola
Thesa Arrazola marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Shelley
Shelley marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Anna Fennell
Anna Fennell marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Robyn Jean Buck
Robyn Jean Buck rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2015
Pam
Pam added it
Dec 23, 2015
Courtney Gelinas
Courtney Gelinas marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2015
Allison W
Allison W rated it did not like it
Nov 19, 2015
Andrea Pancheri
Andrea Pancheri rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2015
Jen Dixon
Jen Dixon marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Theoni Pappas is committed to giving mathematics greater exposure and making it more approachable. Pappas encourages mathematics teachers to share and develop new teaching ideas, methods, and approaches. Her gift to the Mathematics Education Trust (MET) helps teachers in grades 9—12 develop mathematics enrichment materials and lessons complementing a teaching unit implemented in the classroom.

Curr
More about Theoni Pappas...