Math Talk: Mathematical Ideas in Poems for Two Voices

Math Talk: Mathematical Ideas in Poems for Two Voices

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Math Talk Presents mathematical ideas through poetic dialogues intended to be read by two people. Full description
Published January 25th 1993 by Wide World Publishing, Tetra

Claire
Jan 15, 2010 Claire rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone who can get someone to stand next to them and read these out loud
This book is a performance piece. Poems in two voices. Love it. When we hit it right the performances gives us chills. I highly recommend getting a couple of copies and giving these poems a try. Wonderful language, wonderful math!
Leslie
Math Talk is a short book -- less than 70 pages, but I suspect is packed full of great potential conversations, writing, and thinking for anyone interested in math concepts. I am definitely not an expert in math, but I know enough about circles and spheres and integers to be intrigued with these poems. Because it is poetry, there are no long explanations, but lots of word-play--words that give the reader a peak into these foundational math concepts. It sent me to the dictionary and to the Intern...more
J-Lynn
I can't speak for the accuracy of the math concepts in this book, but I love mixing math and literacy. These poems are well written and interactive since they are in two voices. The could provide a whole different look at mathematical concepts for students who are stronger in English and art. I know that if I had access to math poems as a kid, I might have developed a more favorable attitude toward math.
Shannon
Interesting poems. I plan to use this book to inspire my students to write some mathematical poems of their. Hopefully through using their own words and creativity it will give the mathematical concepts more meaning and help students remember them.
Ubalstecha
What a great way to through literature and reader's theater into the math classroom. This is an essential book for teachers. It will at a twist to your lessons that students won't see coming.
Michelle
Great addition to just about any math classroom.
Tuan Laidinh
Tuan Laidinh marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
Rll52013_andrea
Rll52013_andrea marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
Karen England
Karen England marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2013
Michelle Nelms
Michelle Nelms marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2013
Lakeyshia Brown
Lakeyshia Brown marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2013
Sri
Sri marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2013
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2013
Janet
Janet added it
Jun 29, 2013
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2013
Margaret Janavicius
Margaret Janavicius marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2013
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2013
Ahmed Ewais
Ahmed Ewais marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2013
Brian Breese
Brian Breese marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2013
Orenda Spikes
Orenda Spikes marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2013
Jaclyn
Jaclyn marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2012
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2012
Cindy Coletti
Cindy Coletti marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2012
Mandy
Mandy added it
Jul 30, 2012
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2012
Amanda Absher
Amanda Absher marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2012
Theoni Pappas is committed to giving mathematics greater exposure and making it more approachable. Pappas encourages mathematics teachers to share and develop new teaching ideas, methods, and approaches. Her gift to the Mathematics Education Trust (MET) helps teachers in grades 9—12 develop mathematics enrichment materials and lessons complementing a teaching unit implemented in the classroom.

Curr...more
More about Theoni Pappas...
The Joy of Mathematics The Adventures of Penrose the Mathematical Cat The Magic of Mathematics: Discovering the Spell of Mathematics Fractals, Googols, and Other Mathematical Tales Mathematical Scandals