Start by marking “Death in a Difficult Position (Mantra for Murder, #4)” as Want to Read:
Death in a Difficult Position (Mantra for Murder, #4)

Death in a Difficult Position (Mantra for Murder Mystery #4)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  222 ratings  ·  27 reviews
At Sacred Balance yoga studio, owner A.J. Alexander tries to help her clients feel heavenly. But a seriously inflexible preacher claims she's sending them straight to hell...until he ends up dead, and A.J. has to stretch her sleuthing skills to the limit.
Published September 6th 2011 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Death in a Difficult Position, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death in a Difficult Position

One for the Money by Janet EvanovichChocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeAbby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria LaurieThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithMurder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie
Best Cozy Mystery Series
461st out of 967 books — 1,100 voters
Corpse Pose by Diana KillianMurder Strikes a Pose by Tracy WeberDial Om for Murder by Diana KillianDeath in a Difficult Position by Diana KillianMurder on the Eightfold Path by Diana Killian
Yoga Mysteries
4th out of 5 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Kaye
In Stillbrook, New Jersey, A. J. Alexander runs a yoga studio, Sacred Balance, that she inherited from her favorite aunt, Diantha. Lily Martin, formerly A.J.'s studio manager is now running a rival studio called Yoga Meridian. Lily gets all fired up when she hears about the new Reverend David Goode in town. Apparently, he thinks yoga is derived from demonic practices and he tries to convince his parishoners that they will go to hell if they practice at any of the yoga studios. The Reverend wants ...more
Caren
I recieved this book through Goodreads- First Reads. The review is my honest opinion.

I enjoyed the book. I didn't like the character of the womanizing, preacher. That stereotype rubs me the wrong way. I liked the most of the other characters, they were well rounded and interesting. My favorite was the AJ's mother, Elysia. Her personality was smart, fun, and intelligent. I liked her better than the main character. I enjoy reading books with 'local color'. Adding the Jersey Devil added plenty of c
VJ
I think this is the best of the series so far. The characters are maturing and fleshing out nicely. The yoga is integrated but not preachy. New situations other than the murders keep cropping up, just like in real life.

I particularly identified with this book as I know just how easy it can be for even extremely intelligent people to get sucked into the horse and pony show of a charismatic preacher and have it ruin their life and relationships.

I also liked the story developing of how AJ has sta
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
Probably my favourite in the series so far. Much less angst on the part of the main character, interesting story line and good character development. The two characters I found most annoying, her mother and Lily, were more subdued, I think. Overall, a great addition and I hope to continue seeing books in this series.
Sheila
This grabbed me from the beginning and didn't let go. For the cozy mystery genre this was an excellent read. I finished it in one night. Believable murder and kept me guessing.
Nairabell
When the charasmatic Reverend David Goode moves to Stillbrook he singles out Sacred Balance and Yoga Meridian as the root of evil. According to him, yoga is a heathen demonic practice. AJ isn't the only person whose livelihood is at risk - her ex-partner Lily is the new manager of Yoga Meridian. But when the Reverend ends up dead and Lily is arrested, AJ feels she has to prove Lily's innocence. But with the Reverend's distinctly unreligious habits and the appearance of the Jersey Devil, this cas ...more
Michelle
This is the fourth installment of the Mantra for Murder cozy mystery series. I think it may be favorite. Granted, cozy mysteries have a predictable story line, but it's nice to get lost in a short book where you know that that the good guys live and the bad guy gets caught.

In general, I do not read mysteries. As a child, I adored Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden. As an adult, I have read many Nevada Barr mysteries, but only because they are set in national parks, a favorite destination of mine. How
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This book caught my attention at once with it's beginning sentence. "The Reverend David Goode says you're going to hell." Now this book is centered around an owner/instructor of Yoga exercises studio. However, I remembered the same thing actually being said to my husband when we were first married by an unenlightened person. What ignorance there is in the world, but what an excellent hook to pull me into the book, and I was Not disappointed in the least.

Our A.J. is not only assaulted with an ign
Jan
In this 4th book in the series, AJ and all the local yoga studio owners are being bombarded by a local minister, Rev Goode, as agents of satan. Of all the yogis, Lily, AJ's former co-worker, is the most upset. Lily has had some very unpleasant and very public encounters with the not-so-good Reverend. So when he is found dead, Lily is the main suspect. AJ is not Lily's biggest fan, but she does not think she could murder anyone. With the help of her mom, AJ tries to help Lily. As usual, much craz ...more
Amy
Very excited to have received this book from Goodreads! I will be posting a review shortly! THANKS GOODREADS!
Well I'm glad that I stuck this one out!! The beginning of the story did agood job of painting a picture of the setting for me. The wsy it was set up was relatable. I do like to exercise and thought it would discuss classes ect more than it did. However I really did like the way the instructors and clients showed the sense of community that you can see at the gym. The plot and the situsti
Georgiann Hennelly
At Sacred Balance Yoga studio A.J.Alexander tries to help her clients feel heavonly. But the Charismatic Reverend David Goode, is pointing a rightrous finger at A.J. Yoga studio calling it the towns center of sin. His Fire and Brimstone speeches only get worse. When Lily her ruthless yoga rival approaches A.j with the idea that they all band together against Goode before he drives them all out of business. A.J sents up a meeting with the other Yoga studio owners in surrending towns and they all ...more
Ericka Scott
Although I loved Diana's Poetic Death series, I have to say that I'm enjoying this series even more -- the yoga exercises and yummy recipes might be to blame for that. LOL.

Death in a Difficult Position is the latest installment in the Mantra for Murder mysteries and is as good as, or better, than the others. I've read the stories in order and suspect that others would get greater enjoyment from knowing a little of the history of the characters before falling into the series.

Stephanie
This is the best of the series so far, but the narration/protagonist still isn't compelling as a yoga teacher, even if she came upon it by happenstance. The series of poses practiced in a yoga class is called a "sequence," not a "routine." A student may not know this, but *every* yoga teacher does.

Aside: It looks like there's a new cover illustrator.
Susan Wardzala
Since the plot has already been discribed, I will skip that.
It felt to me like every other good cosy out right now. It has the "hook" of yoga (instead of scrapbooking, sewing, knitting, quiting etc)and it was nice a relaxing. The charactures were good and defined, but, really, not much new. It was a fun, familiar read.
Amber Polo
As good or better than the other in the series. The Jersey Devil and real yoga studio issues made this one lots of fun. I liked how Killian keeps all her themes on fire. I'm not a usual cozy reader and I can't help but be disappointed when the murderer is not who I suspected, but that's only me.
Caroline
I'm just not into yoga and the main character's mother gets on my nerves. Aside from not being interested in being told about healthy eating, when the protag lets herself get pushed into a camping trip she doesn't want to take, I really just couldn't finish this book.
Natalie
This was good. Not good enough to keep (I don't really need dozens of cheesy mysteries that I probably won't read again) but good enough to enjoy other books from this series if I come across them :-)
Lori
Sep 03, 2014 Lori rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
Everytime I read one of these books I want to take a yoga class! Another great story by Ms Killian, this time a evangelical preacher is killed, by the Jersey Devil?? LOL
Rebecca Williamson
The head of a yoga studio becomes an amateur sleuth. This was a light read, without sufficient motivation for solving the crime, but the characters pulled me through.
Cathryn Ferrara
Great installment, i enjoyed this one better than the last, a terrific mystery and interesting new regular characters too keep it interesting
Thain
A cotton candy cozy mystery. It is sugary and sweet but mostly air. While I like it, a little more depth would be nice.
Heidi (Yup. Still here.)
3.5 stars. I like this series and was sad to hear it may be done after this book :(
Brett
Another fun installment from Killian. A.J. is a great charater!
Wioletta
I won this book on Goodreads giveaway.
Thank you Goodreads !!
Liza Larue
Loved this series wish there would have been more!
Tracey
Aug 02, 2012 Tracey rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Tracey by: loni and susanne
I want to read the entire series now.
Vicki
dumb fun :)
Penny
Penny added it
Dec 14, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
  • A Parfait Murder (A Mystery a La Mode, #3)
  • How to Survive a Killer Séance (Party Planning, #3)
  • Quickstep to Murder (A Ballroom Dance Mystery #1)
  • Ink Flamingos (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Town in a Lobster Stew (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #2)
  • The Diva Haunts the House (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #5)
  • Polished Off (Southern Beauty Shop, #2)
  • Night of the Living Dandelion (A Flower Shop Mystery, #11)
  • Mortar and Murder (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #4)
  • Mind Your Own Beeswax (Queen Bee, #2)
  • Buffalo West Wing (A White House Chef Mystery, #4)
  • Formula for Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #3)
  • Sealed with a Kill (A Decoupage Mystery, #3)
  • Thread Reckoning (An Embroidery Mystery, #3)
  • Die Buying (A Mall Cop Mystery, #1)
  • Button Holed (Button Box Mystery, #1)
  • Bitter Harvest (Orchard, #5)
  • Drip Dead (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #3)
Author of the Poetic Death series and the Mantra for Murder series.
More about Diana Killian...
Corpse Pose (Mantra for Murder Mystery #1) Dial Om for Murder (Mantra for Murder, #2) Murder on the Eightfold Path (Mantra for Murder, #3) High Rhymes and Misdemeanors (Poetic Death Mystery, #1) Verse of the Vampyre (Poetic Death Mystery, #2)