Start by marking “Death in a Difficult Position (Mantra for Murder, #4)” as Want to Read:
Death in a Difficult Position (Mantra for Murder, #4)

Death in a Difficult Position (Mantra for Murder Mystery #4)

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  284 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
At Sacred Balance yoga studio, owner A.J. Alexander tries to help her clients feel heavenly. But a seriously inflexible preacher claims she's sending them straight to hell...until he ends up dead, and A.J. has to stretch her sleuthing skills to the limit.
Published September 6th 2011 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Death in a Difficult Position, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death in a Difficult Position

Murder Strikes a Pose by Tracy WeberA Killer Retreat by Tracy WeberKarma's a Killer by Tracy WeberCorpse Pose by Diana KillianDial Om for Murder by Diana Killian
Yoga Mysteries
6th out of 10 books — 5 voters
Murder Strikes a Pose by Tracy WeberA Killer Retreat by Tracy WeberKarma's a Killer by Tracy WeberThe Yoga Sutras of Patanjali by Swami SatchidanandaYoga for Body, Breath, and Mind by A.G. Mohan
Yoga
12th out of 12 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Kaye
Sep 29, 2011 Kaye rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-challenge
In Stillbrook, New Jersey, A. J. Alexander runs a yoga studio, Sacred Balance, that she inherited from her favorite aunt, Diantha. Lily Martin, formerly A.J.'s studio manager is now running a rival studio called Yoga Meridian. Lily gets all fired up when she hears about the new Reverend David Goode in town. Apparently, he thinks yoga is derived from demonic practices and he tries to convince his parishoners that they will go to hell if they practice at any of the yoga studios. The Reverend wants ...more
VJ
Dec 26, 2012 VJ rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I think this is the best of the series so far. The characters are maturing and fleshing out nicely. The yoga is integrated but not preachy. New situations other than the murders keep cropping up, just like in real life.

I particularly identified with this book as I know just how easy it can be for even extremely intelligent people to get sucked into the horse and pony show of a charismatic preacher and have it ruin their life and relationships.

I also liked the story developing of how AJ has sta
Wyshona D. Lawson
Jan 03, 2015 Wyshona D. Lawson rated it it was amazing
I love A.J. and her mom.
❂ Jennifer
Sep 12, 2011 ❂ Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Probably my favourite in the series so far. Much less angst on the part of the main character, interesting story line and good character development. The two characters I found most annoying, her mother and Lily, were more subdued, I think. Overall, a great addition and I hope to continue seeing books in this series.
Sheila
May 06, 2012 Sheila rated it it was amazing
This grabbed me from the beginning and didn't let go. For the cozy mystery genre this was an excellent read. I finished it in one night. Believable murder and kept me guessing.
Nairabell
May 24, 2012 Nairabell rated it it was amazing
When the charasmatic Reverend David Goode moves to Stillbrook he singles out Sacred Balance and Yoga Meridian as the root of evil. According to him, yoga is a heathen demonic practice. AJ isn't the only person whose livelihood is at risk - her ex-partner Lily is the new manager of Yoga Meridian. But when the Reverend ends up dead and Lily is arrested, AJ feels she has to prove Lily's innocence. But with the Reverend's distinctly unreligious habits and the appearance of the Jersey Devil, this cas ...more
Michelle
Apr 28, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: yoga-fiction
This is the fourth installment of the Mantra for Murder cozy mystery series. I think it may be favorite. Granted, cozy mysteries have a predictable story line, but it's nice to get lost in a short book where you know that that the good guys live and the bad guy gets caught.

In general, I do not read mysteries. As a child, I adored Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden. As an adult, I have read many Nevada Barr mysteries, but only because they are set in national parks, a favorite destination of mine. How
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Oct 03, 2011 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it it was amazing
This book caught my attention at once with it's beginning sentence. "The Reverend David Goode says you're going to hell." Now this book is centered around an owner/instructor of Yoga exercises studio. However, I remembered the same thing actually being said to my husband when we were first married by an unenlightened person. What ignorance there is in the world, but what an excellent hook to pull me into the book, and I was Not disappointed in the least.

Our A.J. is not only assaulted with an ign
Jan
In this 4th book in the series, AJ and all the local yoga studio owners are being bombarded by a local minister, Rev Goode, as agents of satan. Of all the yogis, Lily, AJ's former co-worker, is the most upset. Lily has had some very unpleasant and very public encounters with the not-so-good Reverend. So when he is found dead, Lily is the main suspect. AJ is not Lily's biggest fan, but she does not think she could murder anyone. With the help of her mom, AJ tries to help Lily. As usual, much craz ...more
Amy
Apr 19, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
Very excited to have received this book from Goodreads! I will be posting a review shortly! THANKS GOODREADS!
Well I'm glad that I stuck this one out!! The beginning of the story did agood job of painting a picture of the setting for me. The wsy it was set up was relatable. I do like to exercise and thought it would discuss classes ect more than it did. However I really did like the way the instructors and clients showed the sense of community that you can see at the gym. The plot and the situsti
Georgiann Hennelly
Feb 24, 2012 Georgiann Hennelly rated it it was amazing
At Sacred Balance Yoga studio A.J.Alexander tries to help her clients feel heavonly. But the Charismatic Reverend David Goode, is pointing a rightrous finger at A.J. Yoga studio calling it the towns center of sin. His Fire and Brimstone speeches only get worse. When Lily her ruthless yoga rival approaches A.j with the idea that they all band together against Goode before he drives them all out of business. A.J sents up a meeting with the other Yoga studio owners in surrending towns and they all ...more
Emilia
Dec 15, 2015 Emilia rated it really liked it
Shelves: cosy-mystery
wow. The suspects were multiplying as the plot was unraveling, till the last few pages it kept me guessing :) Good one!
Kathy
Jan 28, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
A great cozy mystery.
Susinok
Oct 06, 2015 Susinok rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, contemporary
I hope there will be more!
Ericka Scott
Oct 08, 2011 Ericka Scott rated it really liked it
Although I loved Diana's Poetic Death series, I have to say that I'm enjoying this series even more -- the yoga exercises and yummy recipes might be to blame for that. LOL.

Death in a Difficult Position is the latest installment in the Mantra for Murder mysteries and is as good as, or better, than the others. I've read the stories in order and suspect that others would get greater enjoyment from knowing a little of the history of the characters before falling into the series.

Stephanie
Oct 02, 2011 Stephanie rated it liked it
This is the best of the series so far, but the narration/protagonist still isn't compelling as a yoga teacher, even if she came upon it by happenstance. The series of poses practiced in a yoga class is called a "sequence," not a "routine." A student may not know this, but *every* yoga teacher does.

Aside: It looks like there's a new cover illustrator.
Susan Wardzala
Jul 25, 2012 Susan Wardzala rated it liked it
Since the plot has already been discribed, I will skip that.
It felt to me like every other good cosy out right now. It has the "hook" of yoga (instead of scrapbooking, sewing, knitting, quiting etc)and it was nice a relaxing. The charactures were good and defined, but, really, not much new. It was a fun, familiar read.
Amber Polo
Oct 29, 2011 Amber Polo rated it liked it
Shelves: yoga
As good or better than the other in the series. The Jersey Devil and real yoga studio issues made this one lots of fun. I liked how Killian keeps all her themes on fire. I'm not a usual cozy reader and I can't help but be disappointed when the murderer is not who I suspected, but that's only me.
Caroline
Sep 14, 2011 Caroline rated it did not like it
I'm just not into yoga and the main character's mother gets on my nerves. Aside from not being interested in being told about healthy eating, when the protag lets herself get pushed into a camping trip she doesn't want to take, I really just couldn't finish this book.
Natalie
May 12, 2013 Natalie rated it liked it
Shelves: penguin-2012
This was good. Not good enough to keep (I don't really need dozens of cheesy mysteries that I probably won't read again) but good enough to enjoy other books from this series if I come across them :-)
Lori
Sep 03, 2014 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Everytime I read one of these books I want to take a yoga class! Another great story by Ms Killian, this time a evangelical preacher is killed, by the Jersey Devil?? LOL
Rebecca Williamson
Oct 26, 2012 Rebecca Williamson rated it liked it
The head of a yoga studio becomes an amateur sleuth. This was a light read, without sufficient motivation for solving the crime, but the characters pulled me through.
Cathryn Ferrara
Aug 07, 2012 Cathryn Ferrara rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, mystery-cozy
Great installment, i enjoyed this one better than the last, a terrific mystery and interesting new regular characters too keep it interesting
Thain
Oct 24, 2011 Thain rated it liked it
A cotton candy cozy mystery. It is sugary and sweet but mostly air. While I like it, a little more depth would be nice.
Heidi (Yup. Still here.)
3.5 stars. I like this series and was sad to hear it may be done after this book :(
Brett
Sep 13, 2011 Brett rated it really liked it
Another fun installment from Killian. A.J. is a great charater!
Wioletta
Feb 20, 2012 Wioletta rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book on Goodreads giveaway.
Thank you Goodreads !!
Liza Larue
Jun 11, 2013 Liza Larue rated it it was amazing
Loved this series wish there would have been more!
Tracey
Aug 02, 2012 Tracey rated it liked it
Recommended to Tracey by: loni and susanne
I want to read the entire series now.
Vicki
Jan 18, 2012 Vicki rated it it was ok
dumb fun :)
  • A Parfait Murder (A Mystery a La Mode, #3)
  • Polished Off (Southern Beauty Shop, #2)
  • Quickstep to Murder (A Ballroom Dance Mystery #1)
  • How to Survive a Killer Séance (Party Planning, #3)
  • The Diva Haunts the House (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #5)
  • Ink Flamingos (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Mortar and Murder (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #4)
  • Mind Your Own Beeswax (Queen Bee, #2)
  • Night of the Living Dandelion (A Flower Shop Mystery, #11)
  • Town in a Lobster Stew (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #2)
  • Buffalo West Wing (A White House Chef Mystery, #4)
  • Thread Reckoning (An Embroidery Mystery, #3)
  • Swift Edge (A Charlie Swift Mystery #2)
  • Button Holed (Button Box Mystery, #1)
  • The Busy Woman's Guide to Murder (A Charlotte Adams Mystery #5)
  • Drip Dead (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #3)
  • Pushing Up Bluebonnets (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #5)
  • Dying to Be Thin (A Fat City Mystery, #1)
Author of the Poetic Death series and the Mantra for Murder series.
More about Diana Killian...

Mantra for Murder Mystery (4 books)
  • Corpse Pose (Mantra for Murder Mystery #1)
  • Dial Om for Murder (Mantra for Murder, #2)
  • Murder on the Eightfold Path (Mantra for Murder, #3)