Start by marking “Eloquent Ruby (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby)” as Want to Read:
Eloquent Ruby (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby)

Eloquent Ruby (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  648 ratings  ·  41 reviews

It’s easy to write “correct” Ruby code. But it’s far harder to gain the fluency needed to write great Ruby code. To do that, you need to go beyond syntax and absorb the “Ruby way” of thinking and problem solving. In Eloquent Ruby, Russ Olsen helps you understand Ruby like true Rubyists do—so you can leverage its immense, surprising power.

Olsen draws on years of experience

Published (first published February 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Eloquent Ruby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eloquent Ruby

Augusto
Eloquent Ruby takes a ride through 30 topics about Ruby, from how the Ruby community idents code to Metaprogramming and how to publish a Gem to RubyGems.

I really liked the flow of the book, it's not dense at all and it's full of examples. This is the type of books that I like to read: 300-400 pages, easy to start and easy to finish :).

I think it's a great book for someone who has done some ruby before, but who doesn't feel comfortable with the language yet.
I think it might be an excellent compa
Joel Oliveira
Just finished this - the first programming book I've ever read from start to finish. Russ Olsen does an amazing job making the subject interesting and digestible. As I got through the Metaprogramming chapters I really started feeling like I was *getting* it ... like I was leveling up my skills.

Can't wait to put some of these new concepts and tricks into practice.
Oana Sipos
Mar 08, 2014 Oana Sipos is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
121. "First, each method should do a single thing—focus on solving a single aspect of the problem. By concentrating on one thing, your methods are not only easier to write, they are also easier to understand.

Second, each method needs to operate at a single conceptual level: Simply put, don’t mix high-level logic with the nitty-gritty details. A method that implements the business logic around, say, currency conversions, should not suddenly veer off into the details of how the various accounts ar
Michael
This book is divided into four parts labeled:

1) The Basics
2) Classes, Modules, and Blocks
3) Metaprogramming
4) Pulling It All Together

Rating them individually I'd give five stars to the first two, three stars to the third & two in the fourth for an overall average, rounded up, of four.

I felt like the first two sections provided an incredible foundation to the syntax of the language. Highly recommended. These sections alone justify the purchase of the book.

The material presented in the metap
Michael
This book is a true gem! Mostly written for people coming to Ruby from other programming languages, Russ Olsen doesn't dwell on banalities, but instead teaches you good, idiomatic Ruby. The presented material is excellent and the writing is witty and clever. If you are new to programming this is probably not the best book for you, but if you have experience in some other language or "just" want to get more fluent in Ruby, "Eloquent Ruby" is hard to beat.
Case
Wow! This book was perfect for me. It is expected that you have programming knowledge and get the general ideas of how to write good code, but need to know how to do it well in Ruby.

I love the layout of each chapter, in that I feel it generally covers well why each feature is useful and how to avoid impaling yourself on the sharp stick of Ruby with said feature.

The writing was entertaining though a bit rough in a few places. It has the feel of a book that has been aggressively edited down to b
Kyle Strand
Pretty good overview of Ruby's features, but most of this was review after reading the PickAxe. A couple of potentially-useful technical details were glossed over.
Svetlio Blyahoff
A very good book. It have me a good insight about best practices for the language. This book is a nice second step of familiarizing one self with the Ruby language, after learning the syntax.
Chris
I slowly read through the book and this was my second attempt at reading it. Olsen's style is wonderful and keeps the content he is covering interesting.

He covers many subjects that even an experienced developer will find useful. Also it reminded me about so many features in ruby that I don't get to use every day.

Sadly the book is a little out of date and talks mostly about 1.8.7 and YARV (1.9). It would be wonderful to see a revised version come out. But even without that it's a book you can st
Bjoern Rochel
The perfect blend between Blacks "Wellgrounded Rubyist" and Perrottas "Metaprogramming Ruby". I especially liked all the real world examples from well known frameworks and tools ranging from rake, rspec to rails and cucumber. The only chapter that felt a bit disconnected from the rest, was the chapter on the various Ruby runtimes, though it was certainly interesting. If you're new to Ruby (like I am) I can only recommend reading this book, it's worth the time!!!
Jonathon Jones
An excellent book overall, Olsen's conversational style combines with solid Ruby expertise to great effect. The examples are useful and illustrate his points well without cluttering up the text. He also gives lots of real world examples of the things he mentions, which makes it even more clear how his techniques are actually applied.

Highly recommended, even for developers who already know Ruby - there's a lot to learn here.
Brendan Walker
A great book to read about Ruby! Russ is an awesome writer.
Harri Kauhanen
The best Ruby book I've read so far. Probably suits best for "intermediate" Ruby developers wanting to learn bits about implementing DSLs, metaprogramming, enumerators and just plain old object oriented Ruby. Chapter about regular expressions explained the stuff better than many regexp books do. Very, well, written.
Milad Rastian
This is awesome book if you already know how to program but don't know where to start learning Ruby.

It explains all the important features in Ruby that you've missed in your beloved language! Don't need to convert to Ruby immediately, just take look and enjoy Ruby's eloquence and beauty.
Graham Lee
As someone who understands the concepts of OOP from other languages like Smalltalk and ObjC, and knows just enough Ruby to be hazardous to shipping, I found this book to be an accessible discussion of Ruby style and technique. The chapters on metaprogramming were particularly great.
Pedro
A very nice complement to the pickaxe.
Gyuri
Although I use ruby for a while, I learnt lot of new things and also clarified parts of ruby I misunderstood. I recommend this book even to more experienced ruby developers at least as an excellent refresher. I enjoyed Russ Olsen's writing style. Thanks for this book!
Diego
It's a well written book with some good insights but I think I should have tried to read it earlier.

After working with Ruby for some time and read The Ruby programming language, I found most of the content more of the same.
Rick Toews
Just started this book. My initial impression is that it should be fun to read: the author clearly has a sense of humor, so I expect the book to provide a lot of good content, while not being merely boringly didactic.
Ahmed
The best Ruby book IMHO, excellent for beginners and a reference for experienced as well, should be on every ruby developer shelf, loved the author style, would love to read more books written by him.
Olly
I haven't read a programming book in a while and this was really good, harking back to the good old days when I was just embarking on my career. This is Effective C++ / Effective Java for the Ruby generation.
Bobby
Sep 20, 2012 Bobby is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Only two chapters in so mostly fundamentals thus far. I'm appreciative of Olsen's attempts to imbue an otherwise dry and occasionally tedious subject with humor and personality.
Chris Adams
After reading this book, I'd recommend it as first book anyone interested in using ruby professionally should read through. Thorough, concise and an extremely easy read.
Artur Sabirov
Среднее между Metaprogramming in Ruby и Ruby Best Practices. Хорошие темы по внешним DSL и Ruby интерпретаторам, в остальном ничего нового для себя найти не удалось.
Robert Kajić
This was a great introduction to Ruby, I truly enjoyed it! I'm sure it won't be long before I come back to it, to re-read a chapter or two.
Mamnun Bhuiyan
The best book for learning Ruby. Seriously!!!

Small chapters(10-15 pages per book), fun to read, concise and to the point.
Andrew
Great book if you don't want an enumeration of Ruby's APIs, but are instead looking to learn the basic tools.
Hector
Wish I had read this sooner. A great way to shore up fundamentals for anyone programming in Ruby.
Kat
Some suggestions contradict community-accepted best practices. But overall, it is worth reading.
Justin
Entertaining and highly informative writing and presentation mixed with some humor.
SF Ruby Book Club: I see you are reading Eloquent Ruby... 3 12 Mar 08, 2013 10:46AM
  • Practical Object Oriented Design in Ruby
  •  Crafting Rails Applications: Expert Practices for Everyday Rails Development
  • The Ruby Programming Language
  • Exceptional Ruby: Master the Art of Handling Failure in Ruby
  • Smalltalk Best Practice Patterns
  • The Ruby Way: Solutions and Techniques in Ruby Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • Ruby Under a Microscope
  • Ruby on Rails 3 Tutorial: Learn Rails by Example (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • Service-Oriented Design with Ruby and Rails
  • Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Practical Object Oriented Design in Ruby
  • Design Patterns in Ruby
  • The Rails Way
  • Professional Ruby Series Writing Efficient Ruby Code
Design Patterns in Ruby Les design patterns en Ruby

“Write the tests first, or second, or third. But write the darned tests.” 1 likes
“It comes down to this: Ruby is a language for grown-ups; it gives you the tools for writing clear and concise code. It’s up to you to use them.” 0 likes