Start by marking “The Moorland Cottage” as Want to Read:
The Moorland Cottage

The Moorland Cottage

This work is a testament to Gaskell's talents of characterization and plot development. Covering the subject of the disastrous effects of industrial revolution and the consequently decaying values, she has come up with a brilliant story. Depicting village life with its true values, this is an engrossing read.
Published January 1st 2006 by ReadHowYouWant (first published 1850)

To ask other readers questions about The Moorland Cottage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Moorland Cottage

Magrat Ajostiernos
May 18, 2015 Magrat Ajostiernos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clásico, 2015
4,5/5

De las historias cortas de la Gaskell, mi preferida por el momento… ¡Me ha encantando! :)
Ali
Oct 07, 2012 Ali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prior to coming upon this book recently, I had thought I had read all Elizabeth Gaskell’s novels and most of her short stories years ago, I re-read Cranford two years ago and loved it all over again. I was therefore both surprised and delighted to come across this short novel which I hadn’t either read or heard of. What a treat!
“If you take the turn to the left, after you pass the lyke-gate at Combehurst Church, you will come to the wooden bridge over the brook; keep along the field path, which
Pamela Colin
Jan 22, 2017 Pamela Colin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
De cursi nada. Sólo es un retrato de la mujer al servicio del hombre, y que a lo poco que podía aspirar era a casarse.
Elena T.
Nov 27, 2016 Elena T. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finalmente abbracciamo il debutto sulla scena letteraria italiana, il 17 novembre scorso, per “La casa nella brughiera” pubblicato da Edizioni Croce.

Un racconto wordsworthiano, di campagna, dominato dalla struggente bellezza dei luoghi dell’Inghilterra centrale dove si staglia l’amore tra una giovane della classe povera ed il rampollo di un benestante gentiluomo del posto. Ore di pura poesia che in alcuni punti rimandano un po’ al racconto breve “Mia cugina Phillis” altro dono della Gaskell ai s
Peggy
Sep 01, 2011 Peggy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, ebook
This was a great classic. I enjoyed the characters, rooted for Maggie and Frank, despised the unloving mother, and was torn over what to think of Edward. The imagery in the book is beautiful-you feel like you are there in the cottage, at the thorn tree with Maggie and feel the wind off the moor. Someday maybe I'll really get to experience the moors for myself! A triumphant feel good story. I give it 4 stars.
Bego
Nov 03, 2015 Bego rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Sin duda, continuaré adentrándome en la literatura de Elizabeth Gaskell, tomando como punto de partida para mis juicios esta pequeña obra, repleta de los inconvenientes de su género, pero llena también de los trazos de una gran escritora".

Si quieres leer mi reseña completa, entra aquí: http://rustisymustis.blogspot.com.es/...
Dana Loo
Jan 11, 2017 Dana Loo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classici
Un racconto di ambientazione rurale, dai toni delicati, dalle bellissime descrizioni, dalle finalità edificanti, ricco di richiami biblici e letterari, che narra le vicende di due famiglie i cui destini si intrecceranno tramite i loro figli, dando vita ad una storia dai toni tutto sommato pacati, tranne il finale un po' rocambolesco che vivacizza l'epilogo. Annoverato tra il genere dei romanzi natalizi, molto in voga intorno alla metà del 1800 grazie a Canto di Natale di Dickens, procurò alla sc ...more
Carlos
Feb 03, 2017 Carlos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Qué maravilla de libro. Todo el mundo debería de leerlo. Maggie es un personaje entrañable que vive en un mundo que no la comprende (sólo la señora Buxton y su amado Frank) y una madre que la ignora.
Mona
Not as well-known as Gaskell's other works and rightly so. I found the first half extremely tedious as not much happens and the qualities of the characters are repeated endlessly: Maggie is good and unselfish and pure and steadfast and patient and...honestly? I really hated Maggie in the first half, and kept wishing she would grow a spine. The second half wasn't as bad because stuff happened but the plot is melodramatic and none of the characters undergo any significant development.

If you're go
Sylvester
Although short, this book brings up a difficult question (one that perturbs our modern-day American culture of individualism in a way that it probably would not in other cultures and times), how much do our family members reflect upon us, and we upon them - and how much are we to sacrifice of our own needs for theirs? It's easy to dismiss Maggie as meek and spineless - but I don't know that that's true.
Montse Gallardo
Dec 24, 2015 Montse Gallardo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Me ha decepcionado un poco. Es cierto que se publicó como "cuento de navidad", lo que imagino que conllevaría una moraleja ejemplarizante en esa época, pero tanto la historia como los personajes me han parecido demasiado simples.

Al final el bien triunfa, después de sinsabores, luchas y tremendos obstáculos... pero da un poco igual.

Las tres estrellas son porque, a pesar de que la historia no me ha convencido, la forma de escribir sí me ha gustado
natura
Dec 29, 2015 natura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Demasiado cursi y sensiblero, con personajes maniqueos que se hacen inaguantables e increíbles: el mal absoluto o la bondad ínfinita no existen, lo mismo que las personas no son absolutamente aborrecibles o adorables en su trato diario.
No dudo que la autora tenga obras mejores, pero para mí esta es insufrible.
Elisa
Jan 07, 2017 Elisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
→ Recensione completa su THE BOOKISH TEAPOT: http://thebookishteapot.blogspot.de/2...

Elizabeth Gaskell scrisse questo libro a metà del XIX secolo, ma i temi che trattò sono di un'attualità lampante anche nei giorni nostri.
Portato in Italia quasi in sordina grazie alla casa editrice Croce, questo libro - a mio avviso - lo si dovrebbe divulgare maggiormente, alla stregua di Hardy o Dickens, in modo da dar piena voce a questa scrittrice ottocentesca che, ai suoi tempi, già la sapeva e la diceva lun
Alexandra Freire
May 08, 2016 Alexandra Freire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prestados-pdf
Un libro que me resultó casi imperceptible su lectura cuando lo terminé. Un relato sumamente tierno, de un amor inocente entre Frank Buxton y Margaret Browne. Una historia de sacrificios, donde la dulce aunque poco apreciada Margaret aka "Maggie" sacrifica su amor por Frank por el de su hermano aunque éste no lo merezca. Su madre tampoco la apreciaba tanto, teniendo así una vida de tristeza y cierta soledad, pero aún así con su espíritu caritativo y paciente, supo soportar todo ello con entereza ...more
Ana Luisa
Apr 23, 2015 Ana Luisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elizabeth Gaskell, una de las favoritas.

En esta novela corta, "La casa del páramo", Gaskell, en la sencillez de su prosa, nos relata la historia de una viuda que vive en un poblado pequeño con sus dos hijos y su desarrollo en el poblado campestre donde viven.
Maggie es la protagonista de esta historia, es fuerte y su fortaleza se refleja en la bondad y paciencia que ella muestra con los miembros del hogar que la tratan como una sirvienta o "la tonta de la familia".

¿Cómo lo haces Gaskell? En las p
 ☆☽ Ruth ☆☽
I have read and enjoyed several of Elizabeth Gaskell's novels and so I started this book with fairly high expectations... unfortunately it's nothing like as accomplished as Cranford, North & South or Wives & Daughters. The overall tone is positively maudlin and the style of writing very old fashioned and melodramatic. It's a short novel but even so, I only managed about a third of if before I reached gagging point.
Sneha
Jul 31, 2014 Sneha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have given it two stars if Maggie hadn't shown some spunk in the end. The imagery was nice! I could see the cottage and the moors. There were many unlikable characters (the mother, the brother) and although Maggie was virtuous I didn't really like her. She was simply nice and I wished her well as we parted ways amiably!
Dina
Dec 26, 2015 Dina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sorprendentemente bueno. Me lo imaginaba más cursi. Me ha gustado mucho que la protagonista sea una chica buena, rematadamente buena, pero que es capaz de decir no. Me parece refrescante para este tipo de novela. Volveré a leer a esta autora sí o sí.
Marcela
Elizabeth Gaskell never ceases to impress me. This book is so beautiful, quiet and peaceful. The characters are passionate and well written.
Silvery
Jan 20, 2017 Silvery rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La casa del páramo fue publicada como cuento de Navidad a finales de 1850 y, respetuosa con el género, Elizabeth Gaskell compuso una hermosa historia de amor campestre, con un cuadro potente de virtudes y vicios y una apelación al sentimiento de buena voluntad.
Bekie
Jan 14, 2017 Bekie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Elizabeth Gaskell novel, and it certainly will not be my last. Although it started out slowly, it built with steady consistency to a wonderfully, solid ending.
Patrizia
Oct 13, 2016 Patrizia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Potrei dire di preferire la Gaskell più laica e socialmente impegnata, meno attenta a lasciare spazio al sentimento religioso, alle situazioni edificanti che pervadono le pagine di questa breve storia d'amore.
Ma è una preferenza dettata dal tempo in cui viviamo: non ha niente a che fare con la qualità dell'autrice e della sua scrittura, la cui classe nessuno potrebbe mettere in dubbio.
Margolcia
Dec 25, 2016 Margolcia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
W stylu Dickensa, rzeczywiście, dopiero sobie to uświadomiłam przeczytawszy notatkę na ten temat. Główna bohaterka przypomina mi Dorrit, postać bezinteresowną, oddaną rodzinie, wierną i prawą, no i wszystko,chociaż dramatycznie, jednak dobrze się kończy. Nadto podziwiam piękny język, barwny, lekki, nasycony, ale nie lukrowany, aż do mdłości, jak to czasem w takich romantycznych historiach bywa. Na ten gatunek literacki stanowcze pięć gwiazdek.
Alicia
Apr 16, 2015 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet little "Cinderella" story by a great author. It was short and simple and preachy and melodramatic, but I enjoyed it!

Quotes:

"Thus every hour in its circle brought a duty to be fulfilled; but duties fulfilled are as pleasures to the memory, and little Maggie always thought those early childish days most happy, and remembered them only as filled with careless contentment." -Chapter 1

"She had never before ventured into the world, and did not know how common and universal is the custom of picki
Ibis3
This is a reconstruction of my original review which was lost the day before yesterday when the power went out just as I was typing the final sentence (aarrgh! that's twice that's happened now).

I wanted to enjoy this but found it kind of meh. The sexism of the beginning when Maggie and Edward are children made it difficult to read. There were a couple of times Gaskell sets up an expected motif and then surprises (e.g. we expect Ed will get the agent’s job and then take trusting Mr Buxton for eve
Nancy
This is one of Gaskell's lesser known novels and, while the writing is still there, the story is a thin Victorian melodrama.
It goes something like this -- wealthy landowner's son falls in love with virtuous, but poor, clergyman's daughter. (Clergyman, of course, is deceased.) Landowner is appalled his son is interested in this poor, but salt-of-the-earth young woman and has not-so-secretly imagined him to be married to his cousin. Said cousin could care less about wealthy landowner's son beca
Jenny
Feb 01, 2011 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenny by: Katherine Cox
http://gaskellblog.com is hosting a group read of this book. Luckily my copy arrived on day one and I was able to read chapter one and then read all the blog entries related to chapter one.

Here's the schedule:

Ch. 9

Day Six – Feb. 15th
Ch. 10
Ch. 11

I ended up reading ahead. I read at the group read pace until Day Five. I ended up reading Day Five
Phil Syphe
This novella was first published in 1850. The story is set over a period of about 12 years.

It features two families, one of which lives in Moorland Cottage. The household consists of a widow, her young son and daughter, and an old servant. The late husband/father used to be friends with the more wealthy Mr Buxton, who lives with his invalid wife, his son, and his niece. Because of the former friendship with the widow's late husband, Mr Buxton occasionally visits the poorer family and invites the
Terri
Sep 20, 2015 Terri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to, librivox
Maggie is a self effacing girl in every aspect of her life. Her mother loves her son more than Maggie and pines for her dead husband. Maggie's brother rules over her and she assumes it right to do whatever she is asked. She finds affection in the neighboring Buxton family and is given maternal love by the sickly matron who teaches her right principles. In the end, the story reads a bit like a morality play. Maggie gets all that she deserves because she is good and kind. Mr. Buxton shows mercy an ...more
Shuffy2
Sep 09, 2011 Shuffy2 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gaskell
The Browne siblings could not be more different: sweet, mild mannered Maggie and rough, self-centered Ned. How are their lives affected when they are introduced to the Buxton family, a well-to-do country family?[return][return]The widow Mrs. Browne has high hopes for her son, yet cuts her daughter at every turn. Mr. Buxton takes an interest in Ned's schooling, while his son Frank and niece Erminia sympathizes for Maggie's ill treatment at the hands of her family. How far will Maggie go to keep p ...more
  • Amos Barton
  • The Distracted Preacher
  • Married Love
  • The Wanderer: or, Female Difficulties
  • The Foundling: A Tale of our Own Times by Captain Tree
Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell, née Stevenson (29 September 1810 – 12 November 1865), often referred to simply as Mrs. Gaskell, was an English novelist and short story writer during the Victorian era. She is perhaps best known for her biography of Charlotte Brontë. Her novels offer a detailed portrait of the lives of many strata of society, including the very poor, and as such are of interest to socia ...more
More about Elizabeth Gaskell...

“If I thought I could ever grow as hard and different to the abject entreaties of a criminal as my father has been this morning–one whom he has helped to make, too–I would go off to Australia at once. Indeed, Maggie, I think it would be the best thing we could do. My heart aches about the mysterious corruptions and evils of an old state of society such as we have in England.–What do you say Maggie? Would you go?” She was silent–thinking. “I would go with you directly, if it were right,” said she, at last. “But would it be? I think it would be rather cowardly. I feel what you say; but don’t you think it would be braver to stay, and endure much depression and anxiety of mind, for the sake of the good those always can do who see evils clearly. I am speaking all this time as if neither you nor I had any home duties, but were free to do as me liked.” “What can you or I do? We are less than drops in the ocean, as far as our influence can go to model a nation?” “As” 0 likes