Start by marking “Makeovers at the Beauty Counter of Happiness” as Want to Read:
Makeovers at the Beauty Counter of Happiness

Makeovers at the Beauty Counter of Happiness

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  55 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
"During my life, I've spent thousands of hours and thousands of dollars on my hair, my makeup, and my clothes, trying to look prettier because I grew up believing that pretty girls had happier lives."

"I'd be a lot happier now if I had that time and that money back."

Ilene Beckerman has lived long enough to have finally learned that there's more to happiness than finding t
Published April 8th 2005 by Algonquin Books

To ask other readers questions about Makeovers at the Beauty Counter of Happiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Makeovers at the Beauty Counter of Happiness

KaYeah
2.0 stars? I think that's good enough.

I read this book in a breeze. 20 minutes tops. Not because I loved it or anything, but because it is short. Very short. Not complaining there though.
I'm not one for reading memoirs but yeah, this book was handed to me and I have nothing else to read.

Let's start off with the cover. Hells yeahs, it's very cute. I mean it's in pink! Who doesn't find a book wrapped in pink cute? It's also beautiful naked. Like yep, I did the whole book shimmy thing with this one
Maggie
Jul 09, 2011 Maggie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: beauty and fashion junkies
Shelves: flings, humor, reflection
This is a great "wake-up call" for anyone obsessed with vanity, fashion, celebrities, and beauty. Written and illustrated by a fashion/beauty junkie who has lived through many decades of changing fashions--this book offers humorous words of wisdom regarding beauty, self image, and the more important things in life.

You know how in childrens books where there are lots of pictures with paragraphs here and there? This is pretty much the same format except it's for adult women.

This book, I think, w
J.
Sep 16, 2014 J. rated it it was ok
Very critical book- supposed to be funny and tongue-in-cheek but just made me feel bad until the very last page.
Trish
Sep 25, 2015 Trish rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2015
The end message of this book is good.
george
This was short and cute with a simple lesson: love yourself the way you are. Beckerman spends half the book writing about her obsession with her looks and the other half with letters (that she never sends) to her granddaughter and celebrities. Funny and amusing. And a very quick read.
Kellie
Two words: Not impressed.

I felt this book was indulgent on the author's part. It felt like she was just writing a long letter or journal to her granddaughters.

Pretty much what you get out of this is: be who are you are, and be proud of it.
J.M.
Jun 23, 2009 J.M. rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
I bought this off Amazon and don't remember it, so that tells you how good it was (or wasn't). I don't think I finished it.
Tharun
Tharun marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Maria Wroblewski
Maria Wroblewski rated it really liked it
May 14, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Terri
Terri rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Ladymarvell
Ladymarvell rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Brady
Brady added it
Dec 29, 2015
Amy R. Henshaw
Amy R. Henshaw rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2015
Sarah O'brien
Sarah O'brien rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2015
Suzi Barbee
Suzi Barbee rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2015
Biotoper
Biotoper rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2015
Sheri
Sheri marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Jazmine
Jazmine rated it it was ok
Jan 12, 2015
Marge Anderson
Marge Anderson marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Rebecca Freezer
Rebecca Freezer rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2014
Tracy
Tracy added it
Dec 10, 2014
Sarah Wright
Sarah Wright rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2014
Curstine X.
Curstine X. rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2014
Gerran Walker
Gerran Walker rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Robyn Markow
Robyn Markow rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2014