Start by marking “The Line Painter” as Want to Read:
The Line Painter

The Line Painter

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  14 reviews
It's 1:08 a.m. when Carrie's car breaks down on the highway somewhere north of Lake Superior. It's dark, the road is quiet, her cell phone is down, and she is alone. She took off from Toronto that morning, running from grief over the death of her boyfriend, and unable to cope with the truth about the events that led to it. The relief Carrie feels as a truck pulls up soon t ...more
Unknown Binding, 231 pages
Published April 9th 2007 by Not Avail (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Line Painter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Line Painter

Pamela
This book moves like a bullet, and the subject matter is a gripping and under-explored one: women's fear and how it intersects with women's deep desire for experience. A road story, with plenty of suprising twists and turns. Plus you'll learn how those white lines really get painted on the road.
Nienke
Written beautifully in minimalistic style. Great style which is often comical (the style as opposed to content). Deep undertones of tragedy and foreboding. Can't wait for the author's next book.
Toni Osborne
Carrie is unable to deal with the tragic death of her boyfriend, battling depression and guilt she quits her job and decides to take a road trip west to clear her head. Her car brakes down north of Lake Superior, in the middle of God's country where there is no cell phone service and humans are rarely seen.

It is dark when a large truck pulls over, her rescuer Frank leaves her with an unfavourable gut feeling but with no other option available she accepts a ride to Hearst that seems never ending.
Brittany
Sep 04, 2008 Brittany rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who enjoy thrillers?
Recommended to Brittany by: Harper Collins
How I Came To Read This Book: Harper Collins sent me a free advance readers edition.

The Plot: Carrie is reeling after the death of her boyfriend - a death she feels partially at least emotionally responsible for. She takes off on a spur-of-the-moment road trip, and lo and behold gets stranded on some backcountry Ontario highway. Cue the line painter, a man whose job is to work all night to repaint the lines you find on most streets. After blackmailing Carrie into helping him with his job, the tw
Bethany Andrews
I took this book on vacation with me, and while I didn't have a lot of opportunity to get much reading done, I still managed to finish it. When I wasn't reading, the book sort of sat on the edge of my consciousness..I wanted to know what was next for the characters and where the story would lead..

The story is about a young woman who feels her life spiraling out of her control. Rather than sit at home and deal with the consequences, she chooses to hop into her car and take an impromptu road trip.
Debra Komar
What a truly strange book. A very fresh take on a pretty well-worn story - a woman driving alone when her car breaks down. Not sure I loved it but I certainly liked it much better than her second effort, "The Bear." She is definitely more of a story teller than a writer - think page-turning prose like John Grisham, rather than lyrical language such as Donna Tartt.
Theryn Fleming
I'd describe The Line Painter as being very movie-like. It's focused: there are just a few key characters, a few settings. Minimalist, in a good way (you’re focused on what’s happening, not keeping track of who's who). It's suspenseful, but not overly plotty. The main story plays out over a few days, but with flashbacks to fill in the backstory. That The Line Painter was able to grab and hold my attention at a time when my brain was being pulled in multiple directions gets it two thumbs up. Defi ...more
RJ
Found this at a book and video store in Fergus, Ontario of all places. The novel is fairly gripping, as distant Hearst in Northern Ontario has its time in the sun. The female lead has fled Toronto, only to have her car break down. Then she meets the strange "line painter" who has a job to do (and he's got to get it done before the sun comes up, there, I just quoted from the Five Man Electrical Band!)
Teena in Toronto
I read a favourable review of this book on a blog. Since Carrie is from Toronto, I thought I'd check it out.

I enjoyed the writing style. It was a quick pace and didn't take me long to get through it.

I didn't like Carrie and I thought the decisions she made, before and after her car broke down, were dumb. I didn't find Frank likeable either.

So I would recommend this book for the writing style.
Carrie
I flew through this book in two nights. It was not what I expected but was extremely pleased with the storyline and the characters. It is always nice to read a great book by a Canadian Author.
Lynn Bornath
Not what I expected but I liked it and thought it was impressive for a debut. Read the full review.
Tara
I need to write my review for this book and I am still not sure about what I thought. The characters
Lucia
Dark and twisted - just how I like 'em!
Martha
Aug 07, 2009 Martha added it
hope she writes a second book
Walter Rausch
Walter Rausch marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Kenna Tefteller
Kenna Tefteller marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Melissa Ahner
Melissa Ahner marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
debra
debra marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Marney Cooley
Marney Cooley marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Maree Cox-Baker
Maree Cox-Baker marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Mike
Mike added it
Sep 21, 2014
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

Author of THE BEAR and THE LINE PAINTER.
More about Claire Cameron...
The Bear