Start by marking “Der Joker” as Want to Read:
Der Joker

Der Joker

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  84,656 Ratings  ·  9,495 Reviews
Rätselhaft und spannend bis zur letzten Zeile

In Eds Briefkasten liegt – eine Spielkarte. Ein Karoass. Darauf stehen drei Adressen. Die Neugier treibt ihn hin zu diesen Orten, doch was er dort sieht, bestürzt ihn zutiefst: drei unerträglich schwere Schicksale, Menschen, die sich nicht selbst aus ihrem Elend befreien können. Etwas in Ed schreit: »Du musst handeln! Tu endlic
Kindle Edition
Published October 2nd 2009 by cbj (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Der Joker, please sign up.

Tom Tobin
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Kevin Fanning
OK: one of the best first chapters of any book, ever. Like, SO good. Perfectly executed.

The rest of the book: I liked it. Interesting premise, moved along at a decent pace. The "twist" at the ending was good.

There are a few iffy spots, where he describes a scene and it's not at all clear what exactly just happened, or he over describes and reminds the reader that what's happening at the moment is related to something that happens previously, and you're like "OK yeah, I know, I read that 20 page
Annalisa
Feb 10, 2014 Annalisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: language, sexual content
Recommended to Annalisa by: amy m
I can't seem to get enough Zusak. Once again his language is magic. Instead of falling into the "he (or she) said" pitfall, the dialogue takes on the action of the predominant emotion. If he wants to reach for a friend, the words reach. And the way he breaks his sentences to evoke emotional pauses is poetic. Plus it makes his stories delectably quick to read. The perfect combination of length and pause. But his prose is not even the most powerful thing about his writing. Zusak pulls the words li ...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
My full name’s Ed Kennedy. I’m nineteen. I’m an underage cabdriver. I’m typical of many of the young men you see in this suburban outpost of the city – not a whole lot of prospects or possibility. That aside, I read more books than I should, and I’m decidedly crap at sex and doing my taxes. Nice to meet you.

After accidentally preventing a bank robber from escaping, Ed Kennedy receives his first playing card with three addresses written on it. He understands that he needs to deliver a message to
Basuhi
4.5 Stars.

Hello There.

Maybe you're here because you've read the book and you loved it. You loved it so much that any review about it is a beacon of irresistible curiosity for you.

So much that you want to hold this book close to you, day and night.

And just think about the intricate enormity of it all.

Then, you're just like me.

Or

Maybe you're here because you haven't read it and want to see if it's worth your time. In that case, let me be precise and say,
Go Read it.
Now.

Or

Maybe you don't like t
Maureen
Jan 08, 2016 Maureen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FEELING SO MANY FEELINGS RN.
This book was pretty fantastic TBH. I don't that it was quite a 5 star and INCREDIBLE but it was pretty great.
Ed was an overall likeable character, though sometimes he said and did some very problematic things, especially in his relationship with girls. But most people in life are problematic in one way or another, so #relatable #reallife.
This book was a bit hard for me to get into at first and took some easing in but once I was in I wanted to finish it ALL!
The ending
Dan Schwent
Apr 06, 2012 Dan Schwent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dan by: The lovely and talented Emily Scherrer
Nineteen year old cab driver Ed Kennedy foils a bank robbery and soon finds himself receiving cryptic messages in the mail written on playing cards. Each card bears hints toward three people Ed must help in some way. Will Ed ever find out who is behind is mysterious messages?

Apart from books by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, this is my first foray into young adult literature and I enjoyed it immensely.

I think the first thing that pulled me in was that Ed is a lot like I was at nineteen. I like
Shelly
Apr 15, 2009 Shelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I downloaded this on itunes today because my job is super boring and I like to have stuff to listen to and/or watch online. Plus it's popular with some friends, and I'm a follower like that. Anyway, I had to force myself to turn it off today so that I would have something to look forward to tomorrow. I'm halfway through. The story and the reader's voice are mesmerizing! Don't want it to end.

Review starts here:

There's a series on PBS about these doctors--it may even be called "The Doctors," (can
Jackie "the Librarian"
Jul 27, 2008 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens of all ages
I threw this book across the room, and then I picked it back up, held it at arms length, and shook my head at it. And then I thought about the way it held me in suspense, how it kept the kids in my teen book group reading and thinking, and I dusted it off and gave it a hug. Markus Zusak, you bastard!
What has me reacting like a schizophrenic? Why, I can't tell YOU. That would spoil the book for you, and you really should read it. The basic plot is, a guy stops a bank robbery, gets written up in t
Kim
Stamp it on my forehead, folks. I'm here, I'm a blubbering fool, get used to it.

I didn't have high expectations going into this novel, I'd heard it wasn't as good as 'The Book Thief'(pfft...whole box of kleenix on that one). But, I finished it in 7 hours and what can I say?

Um... I.AM.A.SAP

Okay, I can see the flaws, I mean..I'm not a stupid sap. I could see the formula... I knew what was coming. But, the writing makes up for it.

Plus, a 19-year-old-suffering-from-low-self-esteem-who-has-a-severe
Mario
Sometimes people are beautiful.
Just in what they are.

The Book Thief is one of my favorite books ever (if not my favorite book ever), then how is it possible that I loved I Am the Messenger even more?

This book is just... beautiful, from start to finish. I'm not really good at putting my thoughts into words so I know that nothing I could ever say will bring this book justice (but that still won't stop me from trying).

First of all, it took me a long time to read th
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
It's been months since I read this, so bear with me. But nonetheless, I still remember this book pretty clearly so hopefully it's not a problem.

Anyway, so basically ... THIS BOOK WAS SO GOOD IT MADE ME JIZZ IN MY PANTS.

Honestly, I put off reading this book for a long time. I love The Book Thief so much that I was a little afraid to read more of Zusak's work just because my standards for his writing were set so ridiculously high.

But, I shouldn't have worried, because I Am the Messenger is also s
Kassidy
Oct 19, 2014 Kassidy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Markus Zusak does not disappoint! I love the message in this book and it leaves such a powerful impact!
Scarlet
4.5

Like anyone who has read The Book Thief would know (and if you haven’t read The Book Thief, what in the world are you waiting for??), Markus Zusak has that unusual ability to make you go from laughing to crying in a matter of minutes. So despite the general hilarity of the book, which had me in splits before the first chapter was even up, a small part of me was subconsciously waiting for the other shoe to drop – waiting for the tears and the heartbreak I was so sure would come.

And it never ca
Hillary
Jan 12, 2009 Hillary rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted so badly to like this book because I liked the Book Thief so much, but I just couldn’t. I couldn’t get past the constant swearing, the sweaty smelly characters, and the story line kept shifting back and forth from horribly bad to decent and the decent didn’t compensate for the horrific. . In the Book Thief the charm of the characters seemed to make up for their lack of poise and class, this book couldn’t pull that off.
Kristijan
Jul 12, 2015 Kristijan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ubacujem moj review sa jednog drugog mesta... :D Ne zamerite :D

Učiniti pravu stvar za ljude koje ne znamo nije laka stvar, a još je teže to uraditi za one koje volimo i za sebe. Zusak u ovom (na momente izuzetno vedrom i smešnom, a na momente teškom i veoma ozbiljnom) romanu poziva upravo na to - da se usudimo na taj korak. Ovo je neodoljiv roman koji svojom porukom nadmašuje "Kradljivicu knjiga", napisan izuzetnim stilom sa veoma intrigantnim završetkom.

I da, definitivno treba pročitati ovaj ro
Vane J.
I buddy read this with Chantal (click for her review).

3.5 out of 5 stars

Meet Ed Kennedy:

My full name’s Ed Kennedy. I’m nineteen. I’m an underage cabdriver. I’m typical of many of the young men you see in this suburban outpost of the city—not a whole lot of prospects or possibility. That aside, I read more books than I should, and I’m decidedly crap at sex and doing my taxes. Nice to meet you.

He's an ordinary guy. That is, until one day he stops a bank robbery and his destiny is settled. Soon aft
Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster*

Z, is for Zusak

3.5 Stars

I didn't know words could be so heavy.

Some writers use words like water in a garden, liberally and freely, while others use them with a sparing grace; concise and to the point. For me, Zusak falls in that second category. He has a talent for infusing his simple prose with more power than the words themselves own. I respect that, I respect that a whole lot. That isn’t to say I don’t enjoy some more wordy writing, that would be a lie, but I have a whole different level of
K
Jan 11, 2009 K rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teens
Maybe I'm allergic to Markus Zusak's writing? What he intends as quirky, inspiring, and heartwarming, my brain interprets as affected, cliche, and grossly manipulative. In this novel, an underachieving 19 year old begins receiving cards directing him to various troubled individuals around town. By stalking these people and interfering with their lives at the right moments, he becomes a hero/saint figure, and wins the heart of his beautiful best friend, a girl who'd previously been too afraid to ...more
Chelsea
May 29, 2007 Chelsea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: older teens
Shelves: ya, favorites
After reading The Book Thief, I went to great lengths to find another Markus Zusak book, and when I finally found this one, I couldn't have been happier. I think I read it in about two days. Markus Zusak's powerful prose is still at work, although Ed Kennedy is hardly an ideal subject for poetry. Zusak's protagonist is an underage cab driver with a coffee-addicted dog, a foul-mouthed mother, and an intense love for his best friend Audrey. Ed thinks he's destined to be another nothing of the city ...more
Chantal
I buddy read this with Vane! Click here to see her review.

I am the Messenger is, in many ways, a beautiful book. The story is moving, the message beautiful and the characters interesting and complex. It is also often very humorous and it ended up making me smile (and even laugh) many times. Do not go into this expecting it to be like The Book Thief, the two books are nothing alike and you will be disappointed. For those with an open mind however, I believe this book has quite a lot to s
Rachel
Aug 27, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tony, Nathan
Recommended to Rachel by: Annalisa,Cami
Shelves: favorites
In reading this book, there were times I teared up. Nothing sad, just the power of Zusak's words. There are beautiful books out there, ones that are lovely and I float away in, but Zusak's words make me feel like I'm really living them or writing them myself. That is how connected I feel. I feel like he's in my head or I'm in his and somehow we are laughing together over little things. He writes the exact way that I see things. Maybe it's the poet in me where inanimate objects come to life or th ...more
Jo
Initial Final Page Thoughts.
Say what?

High Points.
The beginning- what a hilarious opening. Hopefully I’ll never be caught in the middle of a bank heist, but I just know that if I ever were, that is exactly how I would act. Marv and Richie! The Doorman. Australia! Pa-pa-pa-poker faaaace. Mystery. Intrigue. Clues. (Most of) The messages were beautiful and made my little northern ice-heart melt.

Low Point.
I am still undecided about whether I liked Ed, I’ll discuss this more in the hero section. Even
Raeleen Lemay
May 12, 2015 Raeleen Lemay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own
MARKUS ZUSAK, WHY ARE YOU SUCH A GENIUS??? This book was just as amazing the second time around, FO SHO.
Feb 13, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I Am the Messenger has been sitting, lurking, waiting in my to-read piles for years. Years! By some reading miracle, it survived numerous “I’m never going to read that” cleaning binges. Now I know why.

”I love the laughter of this night.
Our footsteps run, and I don’t want them to end. I want to run and laugh and feel like this forever. I want to avoid any awkward moment when the realness of reality sticks its fork into our flesh, leaving us standing there, together. I want to stay here, in this m
Justin
Sep 10, 2015 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine you have a giant blender. Now, it's going to have to be a Vitamix because some basic Wal-Mart Black Friday Special blender isn't going to work. Now throw the following ingredients into your hypothetical, unnecessarily expensive blender:

The Book Thief
The Catcher in the Rye
The Knife of Never Letting Go
The Game (1997 film starring Michael Douglas, directed by David Fincher)

Measurements aren't important. Once you mix these things up you will have I Am the Messenger. Congratulations.

I liked t
AriaStuckinWonderland
“Maybe everyone can live beyond what they're capable of.”

Marcus Zusak. You are such an unbelievably talented writer. I'm sure you already know that. You write with so much passion. With so much thought in the words you use and how you use them. There was no crappy circumlocution (which I hate by the way), there was just simple words that conveys a deeper meaning. Zusak is indeed a magnificent storyteller.

"Sometimes people are beautiful.
Just in what they a
Shirley Marr
May 16, 2011 Shirley Marr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aussie-ya
Having read the rest of Markus Zusak's catalogue, I was excited about this - a tale about card-playing, taxi-driving, lovable-loser Ed who's ordinary lives is tipped sideways and weird sh!t goes down when he starts recieving cryptic playing-cards in his letterbox with instructions to carry out. Ed suddenly finds himself as The Messenger under the mercy of a mysterious stranger whose intentions he does not know.

I knew I would love it. I just never expected to be having a love-hate-relationship-Ba
Mike (the Paladin)
This book has "moments" of great writing. It "at times" touches on or "skitters past" some real insights. Possibly it brushes up against them and then glances away. The opening "sequence" chapters, or cards seemed to me to go on forever and I was more than ready to move on. It was a case of "okay I get it, your a ne'er-do-well, your mother disrespects you, your father's dead (and you miss him). It was tragic, he was a drunk, your mother was disillusioned and made him and now makes you miserable. ...more
Summer ✿
Upon reading and completing The Book Thief, I somehow knew, without trace of uncertainty or doubt, that Markus Zusak is a literary genius.

Only he could have such unmistakable and beautiful prose.

Only he could create such perfectly written characters.

Only he knows how to captivate his audience and manipulate their feelings to this extent.

I bought this book almost compulsively, not knowing a thing about the story and going in completely blind. While not a tearjerker like The Book Thief, I Am th
Rose
“My full name’s Ed Kennedy. I’m nineteen. I’m an underage cab driver. I’m typical of many of the young men you see in this suburban outpost of the city -- not a whole lot of prospects or possibility. That aside, I read more books than I should, and I’m decidedly crap at sex and doing my taxes. Nice to meet you.”

I read Der Joker (most of you know it better as I Am the Messenger or The Messenger) for the first time when I was 12. But I never finished it. Back then I wasn't an avid reader like I'
**SPOILER** Question about the ending 67 2192 Feb 09, 2016 05:51AM
Around the Year i...: I Am the Messenger, by Markus Zusak 2 25 Dec 30, 2015 12:46PM
  • Saving Francesca
  • One Whole and Perfect Day
  • Your Own, Sylvia: A Verse Portrait of Sylvia Plath
  • Heart to Heart: New Poems Inspired by Twentieth-Century American Art
  • Postcards from No Man's Land
  • True Believer (Make Lemonade, #2)
  • John Lennon: All I Want is the Truth
  • In Darkness
  • Surrender
  • Beatle Meets Destiny
  • Many Stones
  • The Body of Christopher Creed (Steepleton Chronicles, #1)
  • Whale Talk
  • Black Juice
Markus Zusak was born in 1975 and is the author of five books, including the international bestseller, The Book Thief , which is translated into more than forty languages. First released in 2005, The Book Thief has spent a total of 375 weeks on the New York Times bestseller list, and still remains there eight years after it first came out.

His first three books, The Underdog, Fighting Ruben Wol
More about Markus Zusak...

“Sometimes people are beautiful.
Just in what they are.”