Start by marking “Texts and Lessons for Content-Area Reading: With More Than 75 Articles from the New York Times, Rolling Stone, the Washington Post, Car and Driver, Chicago Tribune, and Many Others” as Want to Read:

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  177 ratings  ·  13 reviews
"To have any hope of kids investing fully in the subject matter, we have to start by evoking their curiosity and get them interested in the topic. Engaging the students can't wait. If we wait for the fun stuff that might pop up later, the kids will have already jumped ship."

-Harvey "Smokey" Daniels and Nancy Steineke

Today we're all expected to be "teachers of reading"-no m
Published February 1st 2011 by Heinemann Educational Books

To ask other readers questions about Texts and Lessons for Content-Area Reading, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Texts and Lessons for Content-Area Reading

Cathy Blackler
A great go-to text for developing non-fictions reading skills with your students. I love the fact that many practical strategies are housed in one place. Some I've used before & some I intend to try. Daniels' & Steineke's approach is a nice compliment Kelly Gallagher's Article of the Week, which I used with great success last year. I feel this text will provide a little more scaffolding, something my students need, to make the AoW experience that much more meaningful.
Deborah
Nice to have good nonfiction articles and the associated reading/writing strategies to help students engage with them all in one place. In some of the sets in the second part of the book, I wished for less bias. Even if I happen to agree with a perspective represented by the samples, I think teachers should supplement to provide a balanced perspective that students can use to determine their own views. Some teachers at the AP scoring noticed that a set of texts can bias students toward one persp ...more
Stefani
I have to admit that I've only read the introduction and first lesson or two in this book because it consists of a collection of lessons that I will be teaching throughout the year - not something I need to read cover to cover ahead of time. I really like the concept and the articles seem like they will really be engaging for middle school students. I also like the strategies that are introduced in the book because they will transfer well into other activities and classes and new, updated articl ...more
Sara
This book is targeted at middle and high school teachers of all content areas. The discussion-oriented activities are good formative assessments. The actual articles are decent, I think the oldest one I saw was from 2005. There are a variety of difficulty levels in the articles, but there are more comparatively easy ones than difficult ones because they are trying to be inclusive of struggling readers; if you each older or gifted readers you could easily use many of these articles in the beginni ...more
Julie
Very, very practical for immediate classroom use. Compatible with the Common Core standards. This book was my "bible" this year. I learned some great new techniques that I will use for years to come. This book comes with articles that can be photocopied for use with each strategy and technique, and then in the back, grouped articles on a common topic for use with various strategies. You will not regret spending money on this book if you are a classroom teacher!
Shane
This book has changed the way I teach my students to read nonfiction texts. The articles and images included are great, and they helped me go in search of further resources after I found success using some of the ones found in the book. Middle- and upper-grade teachers will find many excellent strategies to help improve student engagement while addressing their concerns about the implementation of the Common Core State Standards.
jmjester
Aug 21, 2011 jmjester rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: secondary teachers
This is a terrific resource. Not only do Daniels and Steinke provide us with very readable "one-page wonders", but we're also given lots of strategies to use with them. Those who've read Kyle Beers and Cris Tovani will recognize many of them. The fact that they're collected together here will make content are teachers much more likely to read them and then try them. Kudos.
My 6th grade students have thoroughly enjoyed learning how to annotate using the high-interest articles. The discussions following the readings are amazing. I am looking forward to the new release by the same authors with fictional selections.
Maria Caplin
Picked this out to help me begin thinking about multiple nonfiction text levels for CC. Like the introduction and OPW: one page wonders. Already has me thinking about connections to Wonderopolis.
Kate
A variety of interesting nonfiction along with lessons on how to teach reading skills. I'm looking forward to using this in my classroom.
Melisa Mulder
I highly recommend this for secondary content-area teachers and literacy coaches!
Elizabeth
Great for students in grades 7-12 who struggle with reading comprehension!
Kimberlee
Great non-fiction resource!
Laura added it
May 14, 2015
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Rhonda
Rhonda marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Shoe
Shoe marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Teachers' Book Club: Texts and Lessons 1 8 Oct 12, 2011 03:15PM
  • Notice and Note: Strategies for Close Reading
  • Teaching Argument Writing, Grades 6-12: Supporting Claims with Relevant Evidence and Clear Reasoning
  • Mechanically Inclined: Building Grammar, Usage, and Style into Writer's Workshop
  • Real Revision: Authors' Strategies to Share with Student Writers
  • Comprehension & Collaboration: Inquiry Circles in Action
  • Notebook Connections: Strategies for the Reader's Notebook
  • Book Love: Developing Depth, Stamina, and Passion in Adolescent Readers
  • So What Do They Really Know?: Assessment That Informs Teaching and Learning
  • Write Like This
  • Falling in Love with Close Reading: Lessons for Analyzing Texts--And Life
  • Pathways to the Common Core: Accelerating Achievement
  • Lessons That Change Writers: Lessons with 3-Ring Binder [With Three Ring Binder Full of Lessons]
  • Writing Workshop: The Essential Guide from the Authors of Craft Lessons
  • What's the Big Idea?: Question-Driven Units to Motivate Reading, Writing, and Thinking
  • Study Driven: A Framework for Planning Units of Study in the Writing Workshop
  • Naked Reading: Uncovering What Tweens Need to Become Lifelong Readers
  • Holding on to Good Ideas in a Time of Bad Ones: Six Literacy Principles Worth Fighting for
Mini-Lessons for Literature Circles Literature Circles, second edition: Voice and Choice in Book Clubs & Reading Groups Subjects Matter Content-Area Writing: Every Teacher's Guide Teaching the Best Practice Way: Methods That Matter, K-12