Start by marking “Texts and Lessons for Content-Area Reading: With More Than 75 Articles from the New York Times, Rolling Stone, the Washington Post, Car and Driver, Chicago Tribune, and Many Others” as Want to Read:

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  252 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
"To have any hope of kids investing fully in the subject matter, we have to start by evoking their curiosity and get them interested in the topic. Engaging the students can't wait. If we wait for the fun stuff that might pop up later, the kids will have already jumped ship."

-Harvey "Smokey" Daniels and Nancy Steineke

Today we're all expected to be "teachers of reading"-no m
Published February 1st 2011 by Heinemann Educational Books

To ask other readers questions about Texts and Lessons for Content-Area Reading, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Texts and Lessons for Content-Area Reading

Cathy Blackler
Jul 07, 2012 Cathy Blackler rated it it was amazing
A great go-to text for developing non-fictions reading skills with your students. I love the fact that many practical strategies are housed in one place. Some I've used before & some I intend to try. Daniels' & Steineke's approach is a nice compliment Kelly Gallagher's Article of the Week, which I used with great success last year. I feel this text will provide a little more scaffolding, something my students need, to make the AoW experience that much more meaningful.
Heather Wall
This book was mainly created for use by middle- and high-school teachers, but I think many of the strategies are useful for professional development with adults as well. They describe multiple strategies useful for interacting with text 13 jigsaw, carousel, turn and talk, annotating text, tableaux, etc. 13 and include examples of text with each strategy. They call these 1Cone page wonders 1D because they consist of interesting articles that are 1Ctalk-worthy 1D from a variety of sources 13 The N ...more
Deborah
Jul 27, 2011 Deborah rated it really liked it
Nice to have good nonfiction articles and the associated reading/writing strategies to help students engage with them all in one place. In some of the sets in the second part of the book, I wished for less bias. Even if I happen to agree with a perspective represented by the samples, I think teachers should supplement to provide a balanced perspective that students can use to determine their own views. Some teachers at the AP scoring noticed that a set of texts can bias students toward one persp ...more
Stefani
Jul 20, 2012 Stefani rated it it was amazing
Shelves: iteach
I have to admit that I've only read the introduction and first lesson or two in this book because it consists of a collection of lessons that I will be teaching throughout the year - not something I need to read cover to cover ahead of time. I really like the concept and the articles seem like they will really be engaging for middle school students. I also like the strategies that are introduced in the book because they will transfer well into other activities and classes and new, updated articl ...more
Sara
Jun 20, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it
This book is targeted at middle and high school teachers of all content areas. The discussion-oriented activities are good formative assessments. The actual articles are decent, I think the oldest one I saw was from 2005. There are a variety of difficulty levels in the articles, but there are more comparatively easy ones than difficult ones because they are trying to be inclusive of struggling readers; if you each older or gifted readers you could easily use many of these articles in the beginni ...more
Aug 24, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it
I purchased this book for use in my classroom and was not disappointed. There were many strategies I felt could be incorporated easily into my social studies classes. The articles included were relevant to students and very readable. I will definitely use this resource.
Sirpa Grierson
Aug 11, 2015 Sirpa Grierson rated it really liked it
A favorite for teachers trying to integrate better ways of reading information text into their English classes.
Brenda
Feb 01, 2016 Brenda rated it it was amazing
Really good articles one can use instantly in class with helpful ideas to differentiate learning.
Apr 15, 2013 Julie rated it it was amazing
Very, very practical for immediate classroom use. Compatible with the Common Core standards. This book was my "bible" this year. I learned some great new techniques that I will use for years to come. This book comes with articles that can be photocopied for use with each strategy and technique, and then in the back, grouped articles on a common topic for use with various strategies. You will not regret spending money on this book if you are a classroom teacher!
Shane
Jun 12, 2013 Shane rated it it was amazing
This book has changed the way I teach my students to read nonfiction texts. The articles and images included are great, and they helped me go in search of further resources after I found success using some of the ones found in the book. Middle- and upper-grade teachers will find many excellent strategies to help improve student engagement while addressing their concerns about the implementation of the Common Core State Standards.
jmjester
Aug 21, 2011 jmjester rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: secondary teachers
This is a terrific resource. Not only do Daniels and Steinke provide us with very readable "one-page wonders", but we're also given lots of strategies to use with them. Those who've read Kyle Beers and Cris Tovani will recognize many of them. The fact that they're collected together here will make content are teachers much more likely to read them and then try them. Kudos.
Jun 13, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
My 6th grade students have thoroughly enjoyed learning how to annotate using the high-interest articles. The discussions following the readings are amazing. I am looking forward to the new release by the same authors with fictional selections.
Maria Caplin
Jan 01, 2014 Maria Caplin rated it liked it
Picked this out to help me begin thinking about multiple nonfiction text levels for CC. Like the introduction and OPW: one page wonders. Already has me thinking about connections to Wonderopolis.
Kate
Jun 21, 2015 Kate rated it it was amazing
A variety of interesting nonfiction along with lessons on how to teach reading skills. I'm looking forward to using this in my classroom.
Melisa Mulder
Oct 19, 2013 Melisa Mulder rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this for secondary content-area teachers and literacy coaches!
Elizabeth
Sep 03, 2011 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Great for students in grades 7-12 who struggle with reading comprehension!
Kimberlee
Nov 17, 2013 Kimberlee rated it it was amazing
Great non-fiction resource!
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Ashley Keough
Ashley Keough rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
Heidi Bush
Heidi Bush rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2016
Vicky Nolan
Vicky Nolan rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Danielle Evangelista
Danielle Evangelista rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2016
Angela Draper
Angela Draper rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2016
Michelle Robinette
Michelle Robinette rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2016
Llana Bruggemann
Llana Bruggemann rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2016
Lisa Mullahey
Lisa Mullahey rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Deanna
Deanna rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2016
Heather Zimmerman
Heather Zimmerman rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Teachers' Book Club: Texts and Lessons 1 8 Oct 12, 2011 03:15PM
  • Teaching Argument Writing, Grades 6-12: Supporting Claims with Relevant Evidence and Clear Reasoning
  • Notice and Note: Strategies for Close Reading
  • Real Revision: Authors' Strategies to Share with Student Writers
  • Deeper Reading: Comprehending Challenging Texts, 4-12
  • 10 Things Every Writer Needs to Know
  • Comprehension & Collaboration: Inquiry Circles in Action
  • Lessons That Change Writers: Lessons with 3-Ring Binder [With Three Ring Binder Full of Lessons]
  • So What Do They Really Know?: Assessment That Informs Teaching and Learning
  • Book Love: Developing Depth, Stamina, and Passion in Adolescent Readers
  • Notebook Connections: Strategies for the Reader's Notebook
  • Study Driven: A Framework for Planning Units of Study in the Writing Workshop
  • What's the Big Idea?: Question-Driven Units to Motivate Reading, Writing, and Thinking
  • Falling in Love with Close Reading: Lessons for Analyzing Texts--And Life