Start by marking “Texts and Lessons for Content-Area Reading: With More Than 75 Articles from the New York Times, Rolling Stone, the Washington Post, Car and Driver, Chicago Tribune, and Many Others” as Want to Read:

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  204 ratings  ·  15 reviews
"To have any hope of kids investing fully in the subject matter, we have to start by evoking their curiosity and get them interested in the topic. Engaging the students can't wait. If we wait for the fun stuff that might pop up later, the kids will have already jumped ship."

-Harvey "Smokey" Daniels and Nancy Steineke

Today we're all expected to be "teachers of reading"-no m
Published February 1st 2011 by Heinemann Educational Books

To ask other readers questions about Texts and Lessons for Content-Area Reading, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Texts and Lessons for Content-Area Reading

Cathy Blackler
A great go-to text for developing non-fictions reading skills with your students. I love the fact that many practical strategies are housed in one place. Some I've used before & some I intend to try. Daniels' & Steineke's approach is a nice compliment Kelly Gallagher's Article of the Week, which I used with great success last year. I feel this text will provide a little more scaffolding, something my students need, to make the AoW experience that much more meaningful.
Nice to have good nonfiction articles and the associated reading/writing strategies to help students engage with them all in one place. In some of the sets in the second part of the book, I wished for less bias. Even if I happen to agree with a perspective represented by the samples, I think teachers should supplement to provide a balanced perspective that students can use to determine their own views. Some teachers at the AP scoring noticed that a set of texts can bias students toward one persp ...more
I have to admit that I've only read the introduction and first lesson or two in this book because it consists of a collection of lessons that I will be teaching throughout the year - not something I need to read cover to cover ahead of time. I really like the concept and the articles seem like they will really be engaging for middle school students. I also like the strategies that are introduced in the book because they will transfer well into other activities and classes and new, updated articl ...more
This book is targeted at middle and high school teachers of all content areas. The discussion-oriented activities are good formative assessments. The actual articles are decent, I think the oldest one I saw was from 2005. There are a variety of difficulty levels in the articles, but there are more comparatively easy ones than difficult ones because they are trying to be inclusive of struggling readers; if you each older or gifted readers you could easily use many of these articles in the beginni ...more
I purchased this book for use in my classroom and was not disappointed. There were many strategies I felt could be incorporated easily into my social studies classes. The articles included were relevant to students and very readable. I will definitely use this resource.
Sirpa Grierson
A favorite for teachers trying to integrate better ways of reading information text into their English classes.
Very, very practical for immediate classroom use. Compatible with the Common Core standards. This book was my "bible" this year. I learned some great new techniques that I will use for years to come. This book comes with articles that can be photocopied for use with each strategy and technique, and then in the back, grouped articles on a common topic for use with various strategies. You will not regret spending money on this book if you are a classroom teacher!
This book has changed the way I teach my students to read nonfiction texts. The articles and images included are great, and they helped me go in search of further resources after I found success using some of the ones found in the book. Middle- and upper-grade teachers will find many excellent strategies to help improve student engagement while addressing their concerns about the implementation of the Common Core State Standards.
Aug 21, 2011 jmjester rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: secondary teachers
This is a terrific resource. Not only do Daniels and Steinke provide us with very readable "one-page wonders", but we're also given lots of strategies to use with them. Those who've read Kyle Beers and Cris Tovani will recognize many of them. The fact that they're collected together here will make content are teachers much more likely to read them and then try them. Kudos.
My 6th grade students have thoroughly enjoyed learning how to annotate using the high-interest articles. The discussions following the readings are amazing. I am looking forward to the new release by the same authors with fictional selections.
Maria Caplin
Picked this out to help me begin thinking about multiple nonfiction text levels for CC. Like the introduction and OPW: one page wonders. Already has me thinking about connections to Wonderopolis.
A variety of interesting nonfiction along with lessons on how to teach reading skills. I'm looking forward to using this in my classroom.
Melisa Mulder
I highly recommend this for secondary content-area teachers and literacy coaches!
Great for students in grades 7-12 who struggle with reading comprehension!
Great non-fiction resource!
Kaylene marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Joy King
Joy King marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
STEFFANIE marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Melissa Henson
Melissa Henson marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Alejandro Mujica
Alejandro Mujica marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Julie is currently reading it
Aug 11, 2015
Ashleyd marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Teachers' Book Club: Texts and Lessons 1 8 Oct 12, 2011 03:15PM
  • Notice and Note: Strategies for Close Reading
  • Teaching Argument Writing, Grades 6-12: Supporting Claims with Relevant Evidence and Clear Reasoning
  • Real Revision: Authors' Strategies to Share with Student Writers
  • Mechanically Inclined: Building Grammar, Usage, and Style into Writer's Workshop
  • Deeper Reading: Comprehending Challenging Texts, 4-12
  • Comprehension & Collaboration: Inquiry Circles in Action
  • Notebook Connections: Strategies for the Reader's Notebook
  • So What Do They Really Know?: Assessment That Informs Teaching and Learning
  • Book Love: Developing Depth, Stamina, and Passion in Adolescent Readers
  • Lessons That Change Writers: Lessons with 3-Ring Binder [With Three Ring Binder Full of Lessons]
  • What's the Big Idea?: Question-Driven Units to Motivate Reading, Writing, and Thinking
  • Falling in Love with Close Reading: Lessons for Analyzing Texts--And Life