Start by marking “Southern Biscuits” as Want to Read:
Southern Biscuits

Southern Biscuits

Southern Biscuits by Dupree, Nathalie, Graubart, Cynthia. Published by Gibbs Smith,2011, Binding: Hardcover
Hardcover, First Edition, 216 pages
Published May 1st 2011 by Gibbs Smith

To ask other readers questions about Southern Biscuits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Southern Biscuits

Ashley
Jan 24, 2016 Ashley rated it liked it
This book helped me finally understand the difference between baking powder and baking soda. As someone who bakes regularly, this should be something I already get. But the thing is, I mostly just bake recipes other people share; I’m not good enough to be able to sort out my own. I don’t know the best ratios of liquid to dry ingredients, so I can’t just sub things in and out.

I really appreciated that the book has a generous introduction before diving into recipes. The authors talk about the hist
Dixie Diamond
Okay, I love this book in a lot of ways, but I felt it was both overly complete and incomplete.

It has a zillion variants of the basic white flour/baking powder or soda/fat/dairy biscuit, which is actually a good thing for those of us who want to fine-tune our ideal classic biscuit. It's totally repetitive, but I'm not complaining.

The biscuit-related items also seem awesome. Waffles? Strawberry refrigerator jam? Yes, please!

Where I think this failed is that it offered variety that departed from b
J.E. Jr.
Mar 24, 2012 J.E. Jr. rated it really liked it
A great book on baking biscuits— which, for me, has always had a mystical and somewhat untouchable quality to it. These two authors paint a picture of biscuit-baking that is both inviting and approachable. The lengthy introductory material gives a great overview of what makes a good biscuit, what can cause them to be difficult to make, hints on getting started with success, and encouragement about the patience and commitment it will take to become a good biscuit-baker!

What follows, of course, is
Libby
May 09, 2011 Libby rated it it was amazing
I've only made 1 recipe from here so far (the Cream Cheese/Carolina biscuits), but my husband ate 10 of them (they are small!) and declared them to be the best biscuits he'd ever had, so this book is automatically a winner.

M. made my Mother's Day dessert out of here, too--a Sweet Cake biscuit that serves as the cake for strawberry shortcake. It was delicious!

Next up will be trying out another biscuit for my parents-in-law, who are visiting this weekend. My father-in-law has always seemed to enjo
Rick Segers
Jul 18, 2011 Rick Segers rated it it was amazing
It's a great book about that southern staple food, homemade biscuits. There was a time before womp biscuits (the ones in the tube you womp on the counter to get out) when homemade biscuits were served at every meal. There are recipes for all types and well as great techniques and tips.
This was intended to be a chapter in their brand new several hundred page tome, "Mastering the Art of Southern Cooking" but it grew to the point that it needed its own book.
If you are a cookbook collector or just a
Mar 11, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderfully comprehensive biscuit book. Not everything I've made has been awesome, but I did find my #1 go to biscuit recipe in this book (Biscuit Supreme) and I've been searching for quite some time. I don't expect to love every recipe in a book, so long as at least one is stellar, it is worth the purchase price.
Patricia
Jun 05, 2011 Patricia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Jennifer Lohmann
It's not very often that I purchase books, but this is a book that I want to own! Great recipes for biscuits, scones, and other quick breads as well as for jams, preserves, gravies, and other 'biscuit accompaniments'.
Bill Thomas
Oct 31, 2011 Bill Thomas rated it really liked it
Tried a few but my chief critic (spouse) was not impressed. Intend to go back later and try a couple more. Impressive number of recipes for biscuits and insightful tips about baking them.
Marion Littman
Sep 13, 2012 Marion Littman rated it liked it
Shelves: own-it, kindle, cookbooks
Read it but have not tried the recipes....looks good.
Kim Brookhart
Mar 15, 2013 Kim Brookhart rated it it was amazing
Every recipe is delicious!
Leslie
Apr 28, 2011 Leslie rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
We're going to try the biscuit pizza and chocolate soldiers. Yum!
Sorellagal
Sorellagal rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2015
Ally
Ally rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2012
Chanelle
Chanelle rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2014
Dorian Myers
Dorian Myers rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2014
Cherokee Tyson
Cherokee Tyson rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2017
Victoria Patricia Bellao
Victoria Patricia Bellao rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2015
sierra mann
sierra mann rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2016
Deborrah
Deborrah rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2016
Nathaliedupree
Nathaliedupree rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2016
Pam
Pam rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2012
Cody Colquett
Cody Colquett rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Samantha
Samantha rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2012
Deborah Dove
Deborah Dove rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2013
J. Sheridan
J. Sheridan rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2017
Robin Keith
Robin Keith rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2015
Karen Barney
Karen Barney rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2016
Amy Swindall
Amy Swindall rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2015
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2012
Deanna K Calderone
Deanna K Calderone rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2014
  • A Southerly Course: Recipes and Stories from Close to Home
  • Southern Pies: A Gracious Plenty of Pie Recipes, From Lemon Chess to Chocolate Pecan
  • The Lee Bros. Simple Fresh Southern: Knockout Dishes with Down-Home Flavor
  • Louisiana Real and Rustic
  • The Glorious Pasta of Italy
  • The Big Sur Bakery Cookbook: A Year in the Life of a Restaurant
  • Secrets of a Jewish Baker: Recipes for 125 Breads from Around the World
  • Edwardian Cooking: 80 Recipes Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals
  • New England Soup Factory Cookbook: More Than 100 Recipes from the Nation's Best Purveyor of Fine Soup
  • Top Pot Hand-Forged Doughnuts: Secrets and Recipes for the Home Baker
  • The Best Kitchen Quick Tips: 534 Tricks, Techniques, and Shortcuts for the Curious Cook
  • The Everything Soup, Stew, and Chili Cookbook
  • Making Artisan Pasta: How to Make a World of Handmade Noodles, Stuffed Pasta, Dumplings, and More
  • What's a Cook to Do?: An Illustrated Guide to 484 Essential Tips, Techniques, and Tricks
  • Ruhlman's Twenty: The Ideas and Techniques that Will Make You a Better Cook
  • The Complete Cook's Country TV Show Cookbook: Every Recipe, Every Ingredient Testing, and Every Equipment Rating from the Hit TV Show
  • The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook: A Master Baker's 300 Favorite Recipes for Perfect-Every-Time Bread-From Every Kind of Machine
  • Sarabeth's Bakery: From My Hands to Yours
Nathalie Dupree is the Author of eleven cookbooks about the American South, entertaining and basic cooking. She has hosted over 300 television shows on the Food Network, The Learning Channel and PBS. She has been a spokesperson for Wild American Shrimp, The Catfish Institute and many other organizations. She currently writes for The Post And Courier in Charleston, SC, as well as Charleston Magazin ...more
More about Nathalie Dupree...