Start by marking “Who Do, Voodoo? (A Mind for Murder, #1)” as Want to Read:
Who Do, Voodoo? (A Mind for Murder, #1)

Who Do, Voodoo? (A Mind for Murder #1)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  934 ratings  ·  144 reviews
Clinical psychologist Liz Cooper doesn't believe in ghosts. But when her best friend finds a tarot card tacked to her front door-and is then accused of murder-Liz will have to find a way to embrace the occult if she wants to outwit the real killer...
Published November 1st 2011 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Who Do, Voodoo?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Do, Voodoo?

One for the Money by Janet EvanovichThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithCrocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersChocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeThe Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie
Cozy Mystery Series
186th out of 584 books — 1,606 voters
Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria LaurieSecondhand Spirits by Juliet BlackwellThe Trouble With Magic by Madelyn AltWhat's a Ghoul to Do? by Victoria LaurieHexes and Hemlines by Juliet Blackwell
Paranormal Cozy Mysteries
109th out of 226 books — 271 voters

More lists with this book...

Starr Griggs
I have to admit that I really enjoyed this book a lot more than I expected. And I love it when books surprise me like that. I was reading about this title from a list of 2011 releases, not sure exactly where, and thought that it sounded interesting. But after I started reading it, interesting went right out the window. I couldn’t put it down. Now, I have to point this out, but this book was the perfect size of entertainment. Dealing with murder and the occult and humor, there is a great risk of ...more
Melliane
Mon avis en Français

My English review

I love cozy mysteries but it’s true that I do not read a lot of them, lot less than what I was doing but I always take a great pleasure in immersing myself in such a volume. I had this book since its release, after reading a nice review about it but didn’t take the time to read it, and here I am with the first volume.

Liz Cooper is a psychiatrist who does not believe in the supernatural, so when her best friend begins to receive tarot cards on her door, cards
Jess
Really awesome cozy mystery! And great for a first in a series! The book had me really guessing who the killer might be all the way till the end! I love all the characters in the book and the witty charm of Dr. Liz Cooper! I also can't wait to see what the tarot cards hold in store for her and, one smoldering hot professor! All in all I am very intrigued by this series and I can't wait to see what Rochelle Staab will cook up next for us in her mysterious realm of magik!
Yvonne
Psychologist Liz Cooper’s best friend is being terrorized by tarot cards! Liz thinks it’s a sick prank but her friend, Robin, is taking it very seriously. After all, those same tarot cards predicted her husband’s untimely death. There’s no way Robin wasn’t going to be worried, she has a daughter to think about.

Liz looks to her older brother’s best friend, Nick, for help. He’s very familiar with the occult and the supernatural community. Together, they desperately try to find the answers to help
Barbara ★
Pyschologist Liz Cooper's best friend, Robin Bloom has been arrested for the murder of a voodoo practioner. With the help of her cop brother's best friend, Nick Garfield, Liz investigates the resulting string of suspicious deaths.

I thought this was a cute mystery and I particularly liked Nick (religious babble aside). I learned way too much about vodou but maybe it'll come in handy some day.
Nancy Bradford
This first book in the Mind for Murder series give it a start with a Bang! Ms. Staab gives us well formed characters and plot.

Run do not walk to buy Who Do, Voodoo when it is released.

I won my copy here on Goodreads.
Text Addict
This is one of those "real magic" cozy mysteries, of which there are quite a few cropping up lately. Set in the Hollywood area, it features a tricky mystery and an unusual mix of magical traditions. As an occasional student of religions, I approve of the author's attention to distinguishing the religion of voudoun from the magical system of voodoo. It also throws in Tarot, consistent with the muddled approach of a certain type of would-be modern magician (one of whom is a character).

It has a re
Meg Fee
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)
You may also read my review here: http://www.mybookishways.com/2011/10/...

When Liz Cooper’s childhood friend,Robin,begins finding tarot cards with menacing messages tacked to her door,she doesn’t know what to think. What she does know,as the cards,and the stakes,grow higher,is that she needs to find out just who is harassing her best friend. Her search for answers will put her in touch with Nick,an old friend and theology professor who sidelines in occult studies. They soon discover that Robin’s
Christine
Psychologist Liz Cooper hates the occult. Her mother, Vivian, is always making ridiculous predictions that never come true. However, she does a tarot card reading that seems to have predicted the tragic death of Liz’s best friend Robin’s husband. Now, two years after Josh’s death, someone is tormenting Robin by posting tarot cards with hand-written threats on her door.

Liz turns to family friend Nick Garfield, an expert in the occult, for advice in tracking down Robin’s harasser. Right after Liz
Cathy Cole
First Line: "Wait until the third date to fool around?"

Clinical psychologist Liz Cooper has a practice in Los Angeles and one of those annoying mothers who loves tarot cards (and Liz's snake of an ex-husband). Liz is pre-programmed not to believe in the occult or the supernatural, but when someone keeps tacking tarot cards to her best friend's door and that friend is later jailed on suspicion of murder, Liz has to set her preconceptions aside to help save her friend.

The best way to do that is to
Susan W
Very good offering for a first in a series and, most notably, by a debut author, Rochelle Staab. It was a lot of fun and the adventure began right at the "get go." No waiting endlessly for the crime to be committed and no copius "set up" pages to introduce all the new characters. I find that many times when an author envisions a series, the first book isn't as exciting because the author is consumed with "set up" strategies guiding the book into subsequent sequels.

Staab offered a couple mysteri
Doug Beatty
This was pretty good. Very light and it really does give you a little bit of knowledge about Voodoo, Hoodoo and the Haitian Voudo. I like how the current mystery novels put bits of alternative religions in them and make them part of the plot so you can experience them and still get a mystery. This involves a skeptical psychologist, her new love interest who is a professor in occult studies, and a young woman who is in line to become a voudo princess and is using her families spell book in probab ...more
An
Oct 08, 2014 An rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
I picked up the book from the enormous pile of books waiting to be read and I enjoyed it. I liked the characters and the author's writing style. I was looking for an easy novel to relax with and this totally fit the bill. Now to find out if there is a second in the series....
Abigail Sharpe
For all that this was a murder mystery, it was a fun read. I usually don't do dead bodies, but, I admit, I judged a book by its cover and dove into this one. (Have you seen the cover? It's beautiful!)

I love the bits of humor that peppered the story, and I thought the author did a fantastic job of explaining the voodoo background without covering every little topic and overwhelming the reader. Great secondary characters, too.

On a side note, I finished reading this while I was sick, so it gave m
Mary Bird
While normally I'm not really a fan of the supernatural popping up in my cozy mysteries (which is funny, because normally I'm all about the stuff), I did enjoy this book. It did have its drawbacks - the plot feels a bit rushed at the beginning, some of the choices that central characters make feel a bit odd rather than natural, and I actually did not like the guy who was meant to be the love interest at all), but by the time I reached the conclusion of the book, I was pretty into it!

The superna
Nora-adrienne
I've finally had the chance to sit down with Who Do, Voodoo? I love the characters and the story. I'm sorry I had to wait until it was available from the library for me to read it. I found it captivating, magical, and totally enjoyable. I can't wait for book two to hit the streets so I can read more about Liz, Nick, Dave, and Liz's crazy mom.
Liz Lipperman
I was so excited to be able to read this. I know nothing about Hoo doo and was afraid it would be too much for me. On the contrary, it was a wonderful read. I hated that it had to end. The characters are all wonderfully written, the plot is intriguing, and the dialogue is fresh and funny. Congrats, Ms. Staab. When's the next book coming out?
Judy Hall
Liz Cooper doesn’t believe in magic in any way and is driven crazy by her mother and her Tarot cards. Now someone is tormenting her best friend with Tarot cards on her doorstep and Liz is going to get to the bottom of it. It turns out her brother’s best friend, Nick, is an expert in the occult and agrees to help.

The two go off to see what they can find, just naturally falling into each other’s company, comfortable and happy. Until they find a body.

This is a pleasant read. I will read more in th
Christine Ashworth
Mar 22, 2012 Christine Ashworth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes cozy mysteries.
This is a fabulous book! I sneak-read it at work - mostly during lunch and then whenever I could get my hands on it without anyone noticing. The pace is lively, the mystery fun, and the characters a complete hoot! Pick this one up - you'll totally enjoy it!
Cyndy
I enjoyed the book, but the writing alternated between crude and eloquent. The character development was ok, I don't think I could even say what the main character looks like. The research on the occult was good. It is a take-it-or-leave-it book for me.
Melodie
Yet another first in a new series, and a really solid book. Liked the main character a lot. Her mother & her jerk-off cop brother I could do without. Good story with some good supernatural background. Look forward to the next one.
Kim
Staab's characters are memorable and intriguing. I very much enjoyed the voodoo aspect of this novel. The mysticism Staab portrayed was not over-the-top. It was easy for me to lose myself within the mystic pull of voodoo and Liz's world.

***SPOILERS******SPOILERS******SPOILERS******SPOILERS******SPOILERS***

My only complaint is that Staab's transition of skepticism for voodoo within the main character becomes belief within the span of a few days. I have not yet had the chance to read the second n
Carol
“Who Do Voodoo?” is the first in a cozy series by Rochelle Staab. I don’t usually like books with a paranormal slant so I was a little bit leery of this cozy. But I loved the cover so I decided to plunge in. Clinical psychologist Liz Cooper gets together with her best friend, Robin Bloom. They have known each other since the 5th grade so when Robin gets an ominous tarot card attached to her front door, Liz Cooper thinks it must be a prank. But when Robin gets more of the tarot cards and gets han ...more
Michelle
Who Do, Voodoo? Is the first book in the Mind for Murder Mystery series by Rochelle Staab and a Berkley Prime Crime Mystery.

Book Blurb:

When Liz Cooper’s friend Robin Bloom finds an unusual tarot card tacked to her front door, Liz writes it off as a prank. Robin refuses to ignore the omen - her late husband drew the same card, the Three of Swords, in a reading the night before he was killed in a car accident. As more cards and darker threats appear, Liz realizes someone very dangerous is upping t
Fred
This is the first book in the new series A Mind For Murder from first time author Rochelle Staab.

Even though I'm not into Voodoo, the subject matter is well handled to appeal to any mystery reader. Stabb does an excellent job of explaining about Voodoo and it's history. I enjoy reading a story and at the same time learning something new.

Liz Cooper is a psychologist, because of her profession she is not necessarily a believer in the occult, even though her mother is a reader of tarot cards. Liz,a
Lisa Hall
Liz Cooper is a non-believer surrounded by the occult. Her mother reads tarot and her best friend watches for omens and signs, but as a psychologist, Liz remains firmly grounded. She is at no loss for logical explanations until her best friend is accused of murder and a particular deck of tarot is her only lead.

Following up on the deck leads her to an old friend from college who teaches religion to fund his research into occult practices of the world. With Nick in tow, Liz sets out to de-mystify
Jolene
3.5 Stars

Enjoyable first in series! There were a couple thing that annoyed me a little, but they're more personal dislikes then anything actually wrong with the book. First was the romance. Maybe it's because I'm not a fan of the romance genre, but it bugs me that every cozy feels the need to have a romantic relationship in it. I guess if it wasn't always such a cliché set up (in this case the two have known each other for years, but never realized just how attractive the other is, fall complete
LORI CASWELL
Who Do, Voodoo?,the first novel in Rochelle Staab’s thrilling new Mind for Murder Mystery series features no-nonsense Liz Cooper, a Los Angeles psychologist forced to embrace the occult to clear her best friend of murder.

When Liz Cooper’s friend Robin Bloom finds an unusual tarot card tacked to her front door, Liz writes it off as a prank. Robin refuses to ignore the omen—her late husband drew the same card, the three of swords, in a reading the night before he was killed in a car accident. As m
Ana (Owl Always Be Reading)
A great start to an awesome new mystery series. The cover totally goes with the story especially the creepy voodoo book. If you are not scared off by voodoo, hexes and curses then this is the book for you. This book grabbed me from the very beginning and through the very end.

Liz and Robin have been friends since they were little girls and have stood by each other through everything. One day Robin calls Liz scared because someone has been leaving tarot cards with threats written in the back on he
  • Tempest in the Tea Leaves (A Fortune Teller Mystery, #1)
  • Mind Over Murder (Raven's Nest, #1)
  • Pleating for Mercy (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery, #1)
  • A Taste of the Nightlife (Vampire Chef, #1)
  • Die Buying (A Mall Cop Mystery, #1)
  • Haunting Jordan (A Port Chatham Mystery #1)
  • A Witch Before Dying (A Wishcraft Mystery, #2)
  • If Fried Chicken Could Fly (Gram’s Country Cooking School Mystery #1)
  • Brownies and Broomsticks (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #1)
  • In a Witch's Wardrobe (A Witchcraft Mystery, #4)
  • Pall in the Family (A Family Fortune Mystery, #1)
  • Double-Booked for Death (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #1)
  • Pies and Prejudice (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery #1)
  • A Timely Vision (A Missing Pieces Mystery #1)
  • Night of the Living Deed (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #1)
  • Button Holed (Button Box Mystery, #1)
  • A Veiled Deception (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #1)
  • Copycat Killing (A Magical Cats Mystery, #3)
Rochelle Staab, former radio programmer and music industry executive, combined her love for mystery with a strong curiosity about the supernatural in her bestselling Mind for Murder Mystery series featuring psychologist Liz Cooper and occult expert Nick Garfield.

WHO DO, VOODOO? the first novel in the series earned Anthony, Agatha, Eureka! nominations for Best First Mystery along with a Golden Hear
More about Rochelle Staab...

A Mind for Murder (3 books)
  • Bruja Brouhaha (A Mind for Murder, #2)
  • Hex on the Ex (A Mind for Murder, #3)
Bruja Brouhaha (A Mind for Murder, #2) Hex on the Ex (A Mind for Murder, #3) Suspense magazine November 2011