Start by marking “Who Do, Voodoo? (A Mind for Murder, #1)” as Want to Read:
Who Do, Voodoo? (A Mind for Murder, #1)

Who Do, Voodoo? (A Mind for Murder #1)

3.7  ·  Rating Details ·  1,135 Ratings  ·  164 Reviews
Clinical psychologist Liz Cooper doesn't believe in ghosts. But when her best friend finds a tarot card tacked to her front door-and is then accused of murder-Liz will have to find a way to embrace the occult if she wants to outwit the real killer...
Published November 1st 2011 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Who Do, Voodoo?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Do, Voodoo?

Mandy Crider
Nov 13, 2016 Mandy Crider rated it really liked it
Fast paced murder mystery with pizazz. This book started out with two women, Robin and Liz, both friends. Robin starts receiving voodoo cards on her door and believes she's in trouble and when she's the main suspect for a murder everything starts to fall apart. When Liz and her friend, Nick start digging around for clues they get way more than they expected.

I really enjoyed this book and would like to read more from this author and I would highly recommend this book to my friends and Goodreads f
Starr
Nov 23, 2011 Starr rated it it was amazing
I have to admit that I really enjoyed this book a lot more than I expected. And I love it when books surprise me like that. I was reading about this title from a list of 2011 releases, not sure exactly where, and thought that it sounded interesting. But after I started reading it, interesting went right out the window. I couldn’t put it down. Now, I have to point this out, but this book was the perfect size of entertainment. Dealing with murder and the occult and humor, there is a great risk of ...more
Melliane
Jan 14, 2015 Melliane rated it really liked it
Mon avis en Français

My English review

I love cozy mysteries but it’s true that I do not read a lot of them, lot less than what I was doing but I always take a great pleasure in immersing myself in such a volume. I had this book since its release, after reading a nice review about it but didn’t take the time to read it, and here I am with the first volume.

Liz Cooper is a psychiatrist who does not believe in the supernatural, so when her best friend begins to receive tarot cards on her door, cards
Yvonne
Nov 08, 2011 Yvonne rated it it was amazing
Psychologist Liz Cooper’s best friend is being terrorized by tarot cards! Liz thinks it’s a sick prank but her friend, Robin, is taking it very seriously. After all, those same tarot cards predicted her husband’s untimely death. There’s no way Robin wasn’t going to be worried, she has a daughter to think about.

Liz looks to her older brother’s best friend, Nick, for help. He’s very familiar with the occult and the supernatural community. Together, they desperately try to find the answers to help
Jessica
Nov 16, 2011 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Really awesome cozy mystery! And great for a first in a series! The book had me really guessing who the killer might be all the way till the end! I love all the characters in the book and the witty charm of Dr. Liz Cooper! I also can't wait to see what the tarot cards hold in store for her and, one smoldering hot professor! All in all I am very intrigued by this series and I can't wait to see what Rochelle Staab will cook up next for us in her mysterious realm of magik!
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)
Oct 30, 2011 Kristin (MyBookishWays Reviews) rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
You may also read my review here: http://www.mybookishways.com/2011/10/...

When Liz Cooper’s childhood friend,Robin,begins finding tarot cards with menacing messages tacked to her door,she doesn’t know what to think. What she does know,as the cards,and the stakes,grow higher,is that she needs to find out just who is harassing her best friend. Her search for answers will put her in touch with Nick,an old friend and theology professor who sidelines in occult studies. They soon discover that Robin’s
Barbara ★
Pyschologist Liz Cooper's best friend, Robin Bloom has been arrested for the murder of a voodoo practioner. With the help of her cop brother's best friend, Nick Garfield, Liz investigates the resulting string of suspicious deaths.

I thought this was a cute mystery and I particularly liked Nick (religious babble aside). I learned way too much about vodou but maybe it'll come in handy some day.
Nancy Bradford
Oct 17, 2011 Nancy Bradford rated it it was amazing
This first book in the Mind for Murder series give it a start with a Bang! Ms. Staab gives us well formed characters and plot.

Run do not walk to buy Who Do, Voodoo when it is released.

I won my copy here on Goodreads.
Christine
Dec 05, 2011 Christine rated it really liked it
Psychologist Liz Cooper hates the occult. Her mother, Vivian, is always making ridiculous predictions that never come true. However, she does a tarot card reading that seems to have predicted the tragic death of Liz’s best friend Robin’s husband. Now, two years after Josh’s death, someone is tormenting Robin by posting tarot cards with hand-written threats on her door.

Liz turns to family friend Nick Garfield, an expert in the occult, for advice in tracking down Robin’s harasser. Right after Liz
Cathy Cole
May 10, 2012 Cathy Cole rated it liked it
First Line: "Wait until the third date to fool around?"

Clinical psychologist Liz Cooper has a practice in Los Angeles and one of those annoying mothers who loves tarot cards (and Liz's snake of an ex-husband). Liz is pre-programmed not to believe in the occult or the supernatural, but when someone keeps tacking tarot cards to her best friend's door and that friend is later jailed on suspicion of murder, Liz has to set her preconceptions aside to help save her friend.

The best way to do that is to
Meg Fee
Mar 03, 2012 Meg Fee rated it liked it
Fred
Nov 17, 2011 Fred rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in the new series A Mind For Murder from first time author Rochelle Staab.

Even though I'm not into Voodoo, the subject matter is well handled to appeal to any mystery reader. Stabb does an excellent job of explaining about Voodoo and it's history. I enjoy reading a story and at the same time learning something new.

Liz Cooper is a psychologist, because of her profession she is not necessarily a believer in the occult, even though her mother is a reader of tarot cards. Liz,a
Text Addict
This is one of those "real magic" cozy mysteries, of which there are quite a few cropping up lately. Set in the Hollywood area, it features a tricky mystery and an unusual mix of magical traditions. As an occasional student of religions, I approve of the author's attention to distinguishing the religion of voudoun from the magical system of voodoo. It also throws in Tarot, consistent with the muddled approach of a certain type of would-be modern magician (one of whom is a character).

It has a re
Robert
Feb 15, 2013 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t know if Rochelle Staab managed to get every detail of hoodoo and voodoo correct, and if she didn’t, I’m certainly not going to hold it against her. For me it’s all about the entertainment, and this is one entertaining read that managed to capture my attention from the first page to the last. It was a fun, light read with some darker elements floating throughout the tale.

The voodoo, or hoodoo, or whatever filled these pages added a nice element to a mystery that might have been a tad more
Susan W
Mar 31, 2012 Susan W rated it it was amazing
Very good offering for a first in a series and, most notably, by a debut author, Rochelle Staab. It was a lot of fun and the adventure began right at the "get go." No waiting endlessly for the crime to be committed and no copius "set up" pages to introduce all the new characters. I find that many times when an author envisions a series, the first book isn't as exciting because the author is consumed with "set up" strategies guiding the book into subsequent sequels.

Staab offered a couple mysteri
Doug Beatty
Dec 05, 2011 Doug Beatty rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This was pretty good. Very light and it really does give you a little bit of knowledge about Voodoo, Hoodoo and the Haitian Voudo. I like how the current mystery novels put bits of alternative religions in them and make them part of the plot so you can experience them and still get a mystery. This involves a skeptical psychologist, her new love interest who is a professor in occult studies, and a young woman who is in line to become a voudo princess and is using her families spell book in probab ...more
Abigail Sharpe
Sep 12, 2012 Abigail Sharpe rated it it was amazing
For all that this was a murder mystery, it was a fun read. I usually don't do dead bodies, but, I admit, I judged a book by its cover and dove into this one. (Have you seen the cover? It's beautiful!)

I love the bits of humor that peppered the story, and I thought the author did a fantastic job of explaining the voodoo background without covering every little topic and overwhelming the reader. Great secondary characters, too.

On a side note, I finished reading this while I was sick, so it gave m
Nora-adrienne
Mar 03, 2012 Nora-adrienne rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal-cozy
I've finally had the chance to sit down with Who Do, Voodoo? I love the characters and the story. I'm sorry I had to wait until it was available from the library for me to read it. I found it captivating, magical, and totally enjoyable. I can't wait for book two to hit the streets so I can read more about Liz, Nick, Dave, and Liz's crazy mom.
Arlene
Sep 21, 2015 Arlene rated it really liked it
So there were parts I really like, but there were a lot of moments that made me scratch my head.
It wasn't exactly stilted but it didn't flow as I expected either. I am reading book two, to see if this is first bookitist.
I really liked the theme. I hope this makes sense. LOL it is morning after all
Liz Lipperman
Oct 11, 2011 Liz Lipperman rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to be able to read this. I know nothing about Hoo doo and was afraid it would be too much for me. On the contrary, it was a wonderful read. I hated that it had to end. The characters are all wonderfully written, the plot is intriguing, and the dialogue is fresh and funny. Congrats, Ms. Staab. When's the next book coming out?
Melodie
Nov 24, 2011 Melodie rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2011
Yet another first in a new series, and a really solid book. Liked the main character a lot. Her mother & her jerk-off cop brother I could do without. Good story with some good supernatural background. Look forward to the next one.
An
Oct 08, 2014 An rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I picked up the book from the enormous pile of books waiting to be read and I enjoyed it. I liked the characters and the author's writing style. I was looking for an easy novel to relax with and this totally fit the bill. Now to find out if there is a second in the series....
Cyndy
Aug 06, 2013 Cyndy rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book, but the writing alternated between crude and eloquent. The character development was ok, I don't think I could even say what the main character looks like. The research on the occult was good. It is a take-it-or-leave-it book for me.
Christine Ashworth
Mar 22, 2012 Christine Ashworth rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes cozy mysteries.
This is a fabulous book! I sneak-read it at work - mostly during lunch and then whenever I could get my hands on it without anyone noticing. The pace is lively, the mystery fun, and the characters a complete hoot! Pick this one up - you'll totally enjoy it!
Stefanie
Nov 01, 2015 Stefanie rated it really liked it
I'm really on a roll with all the cozy mysteries I've been reading. Really enjoyed this one and this has to have one of my favourite covers ever. Perfect for the feel and tone of this book. Great start to a series I know I'll continue.
Lesley Kagen
Sep 30, 2011 Lesley Kagen rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adored the story, the setting and the characters. I don't need a deck of Tarot cards to know that this series has a bright future!
Westley
This review only covers the first three chapters of the book as available in the free sample offered by the author.

In spite of mentioning the wonderful cover in the acknowledgments, the only cover in this copy was a picture of black text on a white background, and the fact that the same picture, though slightly smaller, was used as the title page makes it difficult to copy and search for either the author or the title. Also as with a few other books I've come across recently, the NCX file was n
Kimberly Ann
Oct 27, 2016 Kimberly Ann rated it it was ok
This was a light & semi-interesting read....

But since I didn't care for the characters, I really can not remember their names.....

So Friend 1 & friend 2 come hone to Friend 2's house to find an odd tarot card on her door.... Then a 2nd tarot card shows up. The two cards are the same as showed up in her her husband Josh's reading just before his fatal car accident....

Next another card shows up as well as a photo of Friend #2 with pictures of voodoo snakes across it.

After some "investigati
Bookgeek
Jan 05, 2017 Bookgeek rated it liked it
I have mixed feeling about this book. On the one hand I did enjoy it, it was an easy read at only 292 pages, the writing wasn't terrible. On the other hand, things just seemed to prefect, no real conflict among the characters, no real obstacles put in the way of the main character(s) Liz and Nick, hindering their search for the real killer. No false leads to track down. This book hovers between a 2 and 3 star book, if you like cozy mysteries, you'd probably enjoy this book. I'm undecided if I'll ...more
Jodie
Oct 23, 2016 Jodie rated it it was ok
Meh.
Madison Mega-Mara...: Who Do, Voodoo? - DON"T READ THIS BOOK!!! 1 9 Apr 28, 2012 12:38PM
  • Tempest in the Tea Leaves (A Fortune Teller Mystery, #1)
  • Mind Over Murder (Raven's Nest, #1)
  • Pleating for Mercy (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery, #1)
  • A Taste of the Nightlife (Vampire Chef, #1)
  • If Fried Chicken Could Fly (Gram’s Country Cooking School Mystery, #1)
  • Defending Angels (Beaufort & Company, #1)
  • Sketch Me If You Can (A Portrait of Crime Mystery, #1)
  • It Takes a Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery, #1)
  • Die Buying (A Mall Cop Mystery, #1)
  • Dire Threads (Threadville Mystery, #1)
  • Pall in the Family (A Family Fortune Mystery, #1)
  • A Veiled Deception (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #1)
  • Haunting Jordan (A Port Chatham Mystery #1)
  • Button Holed (Button Box Mystery, #1)
  • Pies and Prejudice (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery #1)
  • Brownies and Broomsticks (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #1)
  • A Sheetcake Named Desire (A Piece of Cake Mystery, #1)
  • Fundraising the Dead (Museum, #1)
Rochelle Staab, former radio programmer and music industry executive, combined her love for mystery with a strong curiosity about the supernatural in her bestselling Mind for Murder Mystery series featuring psychologist Liz Cooper and occult expert Nick Garfield.

WHO DO, VOODOO? the first novel in the series earned Anthony, Agatha, Eureka! nominations for Best First Mystery along with a Golden Hear
More about Rochelle Staab...

A Mind for Murder (3 books)
  • Bruja Brouhaha (A Mind for Murder, #2)
  • Hex on the Ex (A Mind for Murder, #3)