Start by marking “Hack/Slash, Vol. 1: First Cut” as Want to Read:
Hack/Slash, Vol. 1: First Cut

Hack/Slash, Vol. 1: First Cut (Hack/Slash #1)

Book by Seeley, Tim
Published April 11th 2007 by Devil's Due Publishing (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Hack/Slash, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hack/Slash, Vol. 1

HFK
Jul 14, 2016 HFK rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphics, paiddusty
Do I hate to give only two stars to something that has not just slashers but undead slashers in it, I mean I fucking love slashers. I could spend my whole day and night watching too sexy Michael Myers, less sexy Jason Voorhees, some unknown-never heard of supervillain stabbing and grinding helpless girls and boys to their bloody, cinematic death.

But here I am, feeling as if I might have outgrown from red, wet and dripping, sharp knives. Nooooo, I shall not adjust to be that grownup. Never. Ever
Suzanne
Feb 04, 2013 Suzanne rated it did not like it
I'd heard the writer of this is 21, which makes perfect, perfect sense.The dialogue is fairly tight and sometimes funny, ignoring Cassie's cringey one-linering, but the sheer volume of wish-fulfilment, upskirt shots and (totally hetero) girl on girl make this utterly juvenile in every sense of the word.

If the writer is REALLY 21, then my suspicion is that he'll be a force to be reckoned with in about 8 years time.
Deviancy
Apr 22, 2008 Deviancy rated it really liked it
This trade features the first few issues of Hack/Slash, but this is where the newb will want to start. The characters and the story remind me of what would happen if John Carpenter had been in charge of Buffy rather than Joss Whedon.
Earline
Jul 31, 2008 Earline rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: horror and skottie young fans
I've collected a few of the issues of this series but it's great to find them collected in a trade. This series is great for any horror comic and slasher fans. Super funny and the fight scenes are really badass. I especially liked the last story that takes place at a comic-con with Steve Niles and Skottie Young. brilliant.
Myles
I didn't have great expectations for Hack/Slash, but it was cheap and the premise had promise. Cassie Hack hunts a very special kind of undead - "slashers" - who are serial killers who come back from the dead and keep killing. I have a soft spot for slasher movies so this could have been entertaining.

There are space limitations in comic books and the format can make it difficult to establish character relationships in a single issue, or even over a whole series. Seeley doesn't come close - Cass
Paul Nelson
Mar 24, 2013 Paul Nelson rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Cassie Hack grew up in western Wisconsin, daughter of an eccentric dinner lady. Her mother watched as Cassie was bullied through school until she could take no more, students started to disappear and were amusingly served up with salad and fries. When confronted mother Hack committed suicide by plunging her head into a boiling pot of gravy leaving Cassie an orphan.
In a new school Cassie is bullied again and students start to disappear, her mother has returned as a vengeful slasher from the grav
Brandon Stanwyck
Nov 15, 2015 Brandon Stanwyck rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-fiction
"Now, slashers, unlike serial killers, aren't known for their tidiness. Slashers just exist to kill and stab and stuff."

First and foremost, Hack/Slash is a whole lotta fun. I grew up on the campy franchise horror of the 1980s and 90s. And when the fine gents at my local comic book shop mentioned a series about a slasher film "final girl" who travels the country slaying slashers with her enormous sidekick...I knew I had to have it.

I read Vol. 1 in one night. In many ways, it reminds me of my chi
Sabra Embury
Nov 26, 2011 Sabra Embury rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Aside from panels being too close to seams from the lack of margins, and inconsistent penciling degenerating from its initial pages of colorful artwork, Hack/Slash Vol 1 is a charming attempt at putting together a sexy asskick/sidekick genre comic.

Silmilar to the premise of HBO's Dexter, Cassie Hack stems from the psychotic bloodline of her serial killing lunch lady mom. Choosing the path of "good" versus "evil" Cassie hunts down a never ending queue of serial killing monsters in the tradition
Thomas
Apr 30, 2010 Thomas rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
This is a pretty dumb comic. There's absolutely no attempt at actually making the book scary, or even engaging. The idea is silly, but that doesn't mean the story has to be approached with zero tension. Characters were about as one dimensional as pro wrestlers.

The final story takes place at a comic convention, with LOTS of shout outs to other horror comic creators. It was at this point I checked out entirely. I hate all that wink wink shit that shows up too often in the horror genre.
É O'Conghaile
Jan 24, 2014 É O'Conghaile rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014
Having re-read this, I came to a new-found conclusion. The violence is highly sexualized, and the sexuality is highly violent.

In one issue of this collection, the characters end up at a spring break resort. During a party in which Cassie is on the look-out for the slasher, she isn't much on the lookout for her own safety from an all too-real threat: oppression and sexual violence. I recall a scene in which a man or two are trying to get her to dance and drink like the rest at the party. Instead
John
May 06, 2013 John rated it it was amazing
Tim Seeley was signing his books at my local comic shop on Free Comic Book Day, and having been of fan of his series Revival, I thought I'd give this a try. Admittedly, I was a bit squeamish and skeptical at first, but this turned out to be a great read.

The premise here is that Cassie Hack is the offspring of a demented serial killer or "slasher" and devotes here life to hunting down and eliminating other slashers, with the help of a large green creature called Vlad.

Two things impressed me most
Adam Smith
Jul 18, 2014 Adam Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga-comic
Cassie Hack is a survivor. When she was young her mother snapped and started killing people until the police had to put her down, but then she got back up as a slasher; an immortal killing machine driven by revenge. Cassie had to kill her mother and since that day she's had one goal: Stop as many slashers as she can.

This is the first three stand-alone entries in the Hack/Slash series. 'Euthanized', 'Girls Gone Dead', and 'Comic Book Carnage'. The start of Cassie Hack's journey.

Euthanized:
When a
I.S. Anderson
Mar 04, 2014 I.S. Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been interested in reading some of these stories for a while. I would not call myself an avid comic book fan, but every now and then a title catches my eye and I pick up a graphic novel or two. This Volume gives a brief synopsis of Cassie's origins and then tells three of her adventures. Cassie's mother killed a bunch of her classmates that were picking on Cassie, and then killed herself when she was caught. Her mother came back from the dead and that was how Cassie learned of the world o ...more
Dale
Sep 30, 2013 Dale rated it liked it
SPOOKTOBERFEST 2013! I had heard good things about the Hack/Slash comic and thought the premise was right up my alley: it's a lot like Supernatural, the CW tv series, if the Winchester brothers were instead the final girl from a horror slasher flick and a reformed homicidal maniac from a horror slasher flick. And if instead of hunting down all manner of legendary creatures, they only hunted unrepentant slashers. Good times!

It's an entertaining comic, and Cassie Hack (the final girl) is a fun cha
Ben
Feb 10, 2017 Ben rated it liked it
An interesting concept that's perhaps not fully baked yet. Potential to grow into something stronger.
Joshua
Jul 17, 2013 Joshua rated it liked it
A fun and witty concept that cleverly takes jabs, or stabs (if you will), at the horror genre and the comic book business at times. I love the idea of a last-girl-standing, slasher scenario victim taking it to the cliched genre for a change; a slasher/monster survivor turned hunter who just so happens to have a monster turned good guy for a partner. The monster stories were interesting, the horror movie references abundant, the gore levels at about what you'd expect, the humor pretty moderate an ...more
Logan
Jun 07, 2014 Logan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is fun, interesting, and well thought out! One thing i liked about this, is there's 1 writer/3 stories, but each story you read has a different artist who brings a different art style than the last. The first story was i thought was great introductions to the characters, and a very interesting villain for the first story. The third story was a lot of fun and i enjoyed it, i won't spoil anything, but lets just say there are some very interesting guest appearances! Overall a great story ...more
Elh R'
Nov 15, 2013 Elh R' rated it really liked it
Do you like American horror movies ? Do you like horror comic books ? Do you like brains, guts, and blood splitters on the floor ? Do you like Panties ? Do you like Half-naked-sexy-bad-asses-virgins ? If so, this comic is for you.

A girl Cassandra, and her monstrous friend, go in a savage road kill for slashers, and in the meanwhile, every time that she can, Cassie flash her panties.

This are three one-shot stories, the last one being my favorite.

A good start for a very good series.
Fred Lente
Jan 21, 2013 Fred Lente rated it really liked it
Shelves: fun
A must read for any huge fan, like me, of horror franchises of the 1980s. An anthology of three stories and other ephemera, a mixed-bag as one would expect, but overall super-fun.

Really awesome early work from my pal Tim -- which I'm embarrassed I hadn't read yet! I got this from him at NYCC, and I look forward to getting subsequent volumes at subsequent cons.
P
Aug 15, 2015 P rated it really liked it
4 stars for pure, mindless entertainment and its potential. Average (or worse) art, dialogue, etc., but Cassie and Vlad make me laugh with their inane lines and the ridiculous scenarios. Reminds me of all those bad horror movies I watched as a teen. Many nods to those same movies, it is a comic book version of Buffy meets Scream.
Plot2themoon
Aug 11, 2011 Plot2themoon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Major babe who kicks major ass. I loved this comic. The story line was fun. The main character has a haunted past and does not let it bring her down. With her odd friends she goes around and save others from monsters. Not for young readers, but a something fun for you to get lost in.
j_ay
Aug 20, 2010 j_ay rated it did not like it
Reluctantly reading/looking at, but in this case it’s chalked up as “research”, as it’s for an upcoming sketch card project...

...and the verdict? As I suspected: silly stories and really bad art. Another example of sloppy-ass wriing with "Oh my God" used damn near on every page.

Gary Lee
Aug 18, 2008 Gary Lee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: gore nerds, slasher fans
M'eh...

I'm not quite sure if I set my expectations too high for this one, or if it really is a title that's barely on the enjoyable side of Mediocre.

Good ideas, poor execution.
However, I'll probably read the other collections.
Anita
Apr 15, 2009 Anita rated it liked it
I'm reading the entire Hack/Slash series as part of a little project for a blog-journal I just started (http://sometimesastrangenotion.blogsp...). Not something I would normally read - that's the point - but I'm having fun with it so far.
Cassie
Hard for me to dislike a comic about a girl named Cassie that kills slasher villains while making quips. :)
Kate
Jul 05, 2013 Kate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, horror, own, graphic
All I can do is wonder why it took me so long to discover this. Loved every page.
Samra
Jul 18, 2014 Samra rated it really liked it
slash film via comic. It's goofy and cool
Carl Nelson
Jul 31, 2011 Carl Nelson rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Fun take on slasher flicks. Entertaining.
Oliver
Apr 13, 2010 Oliver rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it, no doubt about it. Really wouldn't hurt if it eased off on the T&A type stuff a bunch though.
Jason
Mar 11, 2010 Jason rated it really liked it
I like the concept a lot, however the execution of it is lacking. But, I do want to read more, and I will.
  • Proof, Volume 1: Goatsucker
  • Welcome To Hoxford
  • Witch Doctor, Vol. 1: Under the Knife
  • Skullkickers Vol. 2: Five Funerals and a Bucket of Blood
  • The Grave Robber's Daughter
  • The Astounding Wolf-Man, Volume 1 (The Astounding Wolf-Man, #1)
  • Billy the Kid's Old Timey Oddities
  • Greetings from Hellville
  • Human Diastrophism (Luba and Palomar, #2)
  • Grimm Fairy Tales:  Return to Wonderland
  • Jonah Hex, Vol. 3: Origins
  • 1140 Rue Royale (Nightmares & Fairy Tales, #3)
  • Jennifer Blood, Volume One: A Woman's Work is Never Done
  • Essential Tomb of Dracula, Vol. 1
  • The Horror! The Horror!: Comic Books the Government Didn't Want You to Read!
  • Daughter of Hounds
  • Esperanza (Locas, #5)
  • Gotham City Sirens, Volume 2: Songs of the Sirens
Tim Seeley is a comic book artist and writer known for his work on books such as G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, The Dark Elf Trilogy, Batman Eternal and Grayson. He is also the co-creator of the Image Comics titles Hack/Slash[1] and Revival, as well as the Dark Horse titles, ExSanguine and Sundowners. He lives in Chicago.
More about Tim Seeley...

Hack/Slash (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Hack/Slash, Volume 2: Death By Sequel
  • Hack/Slash Volume 3: Friday the 31st (Hack/Slash)
  • Hack/Slash, Volume 4: Return of the Revenge, Part 4
  • Hack/Slash Volume 5: Reanimation Games
  • Hack/Slash Volume 6: In Revenge And In Love (Hack Slash)
  • Hack/Slash Volume 7: New Blood Old Wounds