Start by marking “Hack/Slash, Vol. 1: First Cut” as Want to Read:
Hack/Slash, Vol. 1: First Cut

Hack/Slash, Vol. 1: First Cut (Hack/Slash #1)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  406 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Book by Seeley, Tim
Published April 11th 2007 by Devil's Due Publishing (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Hack/Slash, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hack/Slash, Vol. 1

Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanScott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life by Bryan Lee O'MalleyBone by Jeff SmithFlutter, Vol. 1 by Jennie WoodUsagi Yojimbo, Vol. 1 by Stan Sakai
Best Independent Graphic Novels.
48th out of 180 books — 136 voters
The Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanFables, Vol. 1 by Bill WillinghamThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane SatrapiMaus, I by Art SpiegelmanSaga, Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan
Great non-super hero Graphic Novels
268th out of 468 books — 148 voters

More lists with this book...

Suzanne
I'd heard the writer of this is 21, which makes perfect, perfect sense.The dialogue is fairly tight and sometimes funny, ignoring Cassie's cringey one-linering, but the sheer volume of wish-fulfilment, upskirt shots and (totally hetero) girl on girl make this utterly juvenile in every sense of the word.

If the writer is REALLY 21, then my suspicion is that he'll be a force to be reckoned with in about 8 years time.
Deviancy
This trade features the first few issues of Hack/Slash, but this is where the newb will want to start. The characters and the story remind me of what would happen if John Carpenter had been in charge of Buffy rather than Joss Whedon.
Earline
Jul 31, 2008 Earline rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: horror and skottie young fans
Shelves: horror, comics, badasses
I've collected a few of the issues of this series but it's great to find them collected in a trade. This series is great for any horror comic and slasher fans. Super funny and the fight scenes are really badass. I especially liked the last story that takes place at a comic-con with Steve Niles and Skottie Young. brilliant.
Paul Nelson
Cassie Hack grew up in western Wisconsin, daughter of an eccentric dinner lady. Her mother watched as Cassie was bullied through school until she could take no more, students started to disappear and were amusingly served up with salad and fries. When confronted mother Hack committed suicide by plunging her head into a boiling pot of gravy leaving Cassie an orphan.
In a new school Cassie is bullied again and students start to disappear, her mother has returned as a vengeful slasher from the grav
Sabra Embury
Aside from panels being too close to seams from the lack of margins, and inconsistent penciling degenerating from its initial pages of colorful artwork, Hack/Slash Vol 1 is a charming attempt at putting together a sexy asskick/sidekick genre comic.

Silmilar to the premise of HBO's Dexter, Cassie Hack stems from the psychotic bloodline of her serial killing lunch lady mom. Choosing the path of "good" versus "evil" Cassie hunts down a never ending queue of serial killing monsters in the tradition
I.S. Anderson
I have been interested in reading some of these stories for a while. I would not call myself an avid comic book fan, but every now and then a title catches my eye and I pick up a graphic novel or two. This Volume gives a brief synopsis of Cassie's origins and then tells three of her adventures. Cassie's mother killed a bunch of her classmates that were picking on Cassie, and then killed herself when she was caught. Her mother came back from the dead and that was how Cassie learned of the world o ...more
Thomas
This is a pretty dumb comic. There's absolutely no attempt at actually making the book scary, or even engaging. The idea is silly, but that doesn't mean the story has to be approached with zero tension. Characters were about as one dimensional as pro wrestlers.

The final story takes place at a comic convention, with LOTS of shout outs to other horror comic creators. It was at this point I checked out entirely. I hate all that wink wink shit that shows up too often in the horror genre.
Adam Smith
Cassie Hack is a survivor. When she was young her mother snapped and started killing people until the police had to put her down, but then she got back up as a slasher; an immortal killing machine driven by revenge. Cassie had to kill her mother and since that day she's had one goal: Stop as many slashers as she can.

This is the first three stand-alone entries in the Hack/Slash series. 'Euthanized', 'Girls Gone Dead', and 'Comic Book Carnage'. The start of Cassie Hack's journey.

Euthanized:
When a
É F.K. Ó Conghaile
Having re-read this, I came to a new-found conclusion. The violence is highly sexualized, and the sexuality is highly violent.

In one issue of this collection, the characters end up at a spring break resort. During a party in which Cassie is on the look-out for the slasher, she isn't much on the lookout for her own safety from an all too-real threat: oppression and sexual violence. I recall a scene in which a man or two are trying to get her to dance and drink like the rest at the party. Instead
John
Tim Seeley was signing his books at my local comic shop on Free Comic Book Day, and having been of fan of his series Revival, I thought I'd give this a try. Admittedly, I was a bit squeamish and skeptical at first, but this turned out to be a great read.

The premise here is that Cassie Hack is the offspring of a demented serial killer or "slasher" and devotes here life to hunting down and eliminating other slashers, with the help of a large green creature called Vlad.

Two things impressed me most
Dale
SPOOKTOBERFEST 2013! I had heard good things about the Hack/Slash comic and thought the premise was right up my alley: it's a lot like Supernatural, the CW tv series, if the Winchester brothers were instead the final girl from a horror slasher flick and a reformed homicidal maniac from a horror slasher flick. And if instead of hunting down all manner of legendary creatures, they only hunted unrepentant slashers. Good times!

It's an entertaining comic, and Cassie Hack (the final girl) is a fun cha
Logan
This book is fun, interesting, and well thought out! One thing i liked about this, is there's 1 writer/3 stories, but each story you read has a different artist who brings a different art style than the last. The first story was i thought was great introductions to the characters, and a very interesting villain for the first story. The third story was a lot of fun and i enjoyed it, i won't spoil anything, but lets just say there are some very interesting guest appearances! Overall a great story ...more
Drew Nevis
Pretty fun(ny) story for an intro. I enjoyed the "origin" of our heroin and her first villain. As far as I can tell, it'll continue in this amazing trend.
Joshua
A fun and witty concept that cleverly takes jabs, or stabs (if you will), at the horror genre and the comic book business at times. I love the idea of a last-girl-standing, slasher scenario victim taking it to the cliched genre for a change; a slasher/monster survivor turned hunter who just so happens to have a monster turned good guy for a partner. The monster stories were interesting, the horror movie references abundant, the gore levels at about what you'd expect, the humor pretty moderate an ...more
Cassie
Hard for me to dislike a comic about a girl named Cassie that kills slasher villains while making quips. :)
Samra
slash film via comic. It's goofy and cool
Elh R'
Do you like American horror movies ? Do you like horror comic books ? Do you like brains, guts, and blood splitters on the floor ? Do you like Panties ? Do you like Half-naked-sexy-bad-asses-virgins ? If so, this comic is for you.

A girl Cassandra, and her monstrous friend, go in a savage road kill for slashers, and in the meanwhile, every time that she can, Cassie flash her panties.

This are three one-shot stories, the last one being my favorite.

A good start for a very good series.
Fred Van Lente
A must read for any huge fan, like me, of horror franchises of the 1980s. An anthology of three stories and other ephemera, a mixed-bag as one would expect, but overall super-fun.

Really awesome early work from my pal Tim -- which I'm embarrassed I hadn't read yet! I got this from him at NYCC, and I look forward to getting subsequent volumes at subsequent cons.
Plot2themoon
Major babe who kicks major ass. I loved this comic. The story line was fun. The main character has a haunted past and does not let it bring her down. With her odd friends she goes around and save others from monsters. Not for young readers, but a something fun for you to get lost in.
j_ay
Reluctantly reading/looking at, but in this case it’s chalked up as “research”, as it’s for an upcoming sketch card project...

...and the verdict? As I suspected: silly stories and really bad art. Another example of sloppy-ass wriing with "Oh my God" used damn near on every page.

Anita
I'm reading the entire Hack/Slash series as part of a little project for a blog-journal I just started (http://sometimesastrangenotion.blogsp...). Not something I would normally read - that's the point - but I'm having fun with it so far.
Gary Lee
Aug 24, 2008 Gary Lee rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: gore nerds, slasher fans
M'eh...

I'm not quite sure if I set my expectations too high for this one, or if it really is a title that's barely on the enjoyable side of Mediocre.

Good ideas, poor execution.
However, I'll probably read the other collections.
Daniel
Great art and story... could had used a little more red, but other than that it is a really good graphic book.
Oliver
I enjoyed it, no doubt about it. Really wouldn't hurt if it eased off on the T&A type stuff a bunch though.
Jason
I like the concept a lot, however the execution of it is lacking. But, I do want to read more, and I will.
Kate
All I can do is wonder why it took me so long to discover this. Loved every page.
Brilliant. Loved the premise and the characters. Mindlessly entertaining.
Carl Nelson
Fun take on slasher flicks. Entertaining.
Bradley Parks
Bradley Parks marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
  • Goatsucker (Proof, #1)
  • Beyond Wonderland
  • Welcome to Hoxford
  • Under the Knife (Witch Doctor, #1)
  • 1140 Rue Royale (Nightmares & Fairy Tales, #3)
  • The Astounding Wolf-Man, Volume 1
  • All This and Family, Too
  • Clive Barker’s Hellraiser Vol. 3
  • Human Diastrophism
  • The Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 3: World's Most Wanted, Book 2
  • The Empire of Fear
  • The Boys, Volume 6: The Self-Preservation Society
  • Everafter (everafter, #1)
  • Gotham City Sirens, Volume 2: Songs of the Sirens
  • Greetings from Hellville
  • The Big Book of Barry Ween, Boy Genius
  • Essential Tomb of Dracula, Vol. 1
  • The Horror! The Horror!: Comic Books the Government Didn't Want You to Read!
Tim Seeley is a comic book artist and writer known for his work on books such as G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, The Dark Elf Trilogy, Batman Eternal and Grayson. He is also the co-creator of the Image Comics titles Hack/Slash[1] and Revival, as well as the Dark Horse titles, ExSanguine and Sundowners. He lives in Chicago.
More about Tim Seeley...

Hack/Slash (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Hack/Slash, Volume 2: Death By Sequel
  • Hack/Slash Volume 3: Friday the 31st (Hack/Slash)
  • Hack/Slash, Volume 4: Return of the Revenge, Part 4
  • Hack/Slash Volume 5: Reanimation Games
  • Hack/Slash Volume 6: In Revenge And In Love (Hack Slash)
  • Hack/Slash Volume 7: New Blood Old Wounds
  • Hack/Slash Volume 8: Super Sidekick Sleepover Slaughter
  • Hack Slash Volume 9: Torture Prone TP
  • Hack/Slash Volume 10: Dead Celebrities
  • Hack/Slash Volume 11: Marry, F**k, Kill
Revival, Vol. 1: You're Among Friends Revival, Vol. 2: Live Like You Mean It Revival, Vol. 3: A Faraway Place Hack/Slash Omnibus Volume 1 Hack/Slash Omnibus Volume 2