Start by marking “Neuro-Linguistic Programming for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Neuro-Linguistic Programming for Dummies

Neuro-Linguistic Programming for Dummies

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  18 reviews
NLP has a simple premise: take someone who's good at something, model how they do it and learn from them. This way it is possible to understand the thought processes common to excellence in any field and weed out negative or habitual thinking. Neuro-Linguistic Programming techniques extremely popular in many areas including business, education, sports, coaching, counsellin ...more
Published August 31st 2009 by For Dummies (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Neuro-Linguistic Programming for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Neuro-Linguistic Programming for Dummies

Veronica Sicoe
You can bash NLP, or you can use it to improve your life, your communication skills and your understanding of others. It's a tool, nothing more nothing less. And I doubt the self-righteous fun of bashing brings you more than improvement in any part of your life would.
Nancy
I wasn't expecting to find NLP particularly interesting. In fact, I thought it would be rather creepy (how to manipulate others to do what you want sleazy salesman stuff), and although it is clear that some people could apply it in that manner, it is only a small part of NLP. On the whole, the use of the imagination as a tool in NLP is quite fascinating.
Ron
An OK introduction to the topic. More therapeutic and personal development or communication oriented.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
I stumbled across this while searching for something else and all I could think of was Juanita saying that she could hack the brainstem near the end of Snow Crash. But apparently this is about something else entirely (unsurprisingly).
Frank
A lot of filler. Still, there is a lot to take away, such as the idea of anchors (which can improve your mood), how to build rapport with word types (VAKOG) and storytelling, and reducing the intensity of a bad memory's pain.

I can now see why many criticize NLP for trying too hard to sound scientific i.e. it uses a lot of big words for a simple idea for which we already have words. For example, NLP uses "modalities", which are just your senses! The "sub-modalities" are just the details of the s
Leonardo Andreucci
Portuguese translation is awful, looks like it used Google Translator. Content is ok, it makes some good points, but I would have liked a little less dummy. In my opinion this a subject where practical training is needed, so reading a book will only give you the gist.
Jon-Erik
NLP is more or less just more "self help" pseudo-science. It sounds highly technical, but the name is misleading, bordering on fraudulent. It may have originated with some scientific bases, but those have long since evaporated.

There are no scientific studies to back any of the miraculous claims.

That's not to say it's total charlatanry, though. There is some useful material on how to choose your words when writing, but you have to take that out of the context of miraculous claims about hypnotizi
Silas
Let's just say I was glad to be finished with this one. It seemed like a good introduction to me, but I guess I already had been exposed to a lot of NLP in other places, because an awful lot of this was stuff with which I was quite familiar, and I found a lot of the examples tedious, because they didn't relate to my situation very well. If you don't know about NLP or are looking to work on things in an office environment, this might be more useful for you.
Diddy_Lusth
La estructura del libro es muy buena, está plagado de anécdotas, casos prácticos y ejercicios y el lenguaje es sencillo. Pero es un tochazo, porque el tema es el que es, y es denso. Más que un libro de inteligencia emocional, es una verdadera introducción para dedicarse al estudio de la PNL, pero para mi gusto, no como para poder sacar mucho material para la vida cotidiana (a no ser que seas un apasionado). Con todo, tiene sus perlicas.
Ian Burrell
The Dummies books are designed to be dipped into at random, but I found the lack of an overarching structure and repetition frustrating. Based on the book, it seems that there isn't a single unifying concept, but a selection on unrelated tools. The analogy of a toolbox used in one chapter seems apt. Some of the concepts and ideas will, I'm sure, prove useful, but to grasp NLP I think a more coherent book will be needed.
Sameh Maher
الكتاب جيد من عدة نواحى من ناحية تنسيقه ومادته الجامعة وايضا بساطة الفاظة وكثرة الامثلة وهو فعلا للمبتدئين فى البرمجة اللغوية العصبية ولكنه سطحى جدا فى بعض الامور المهمة مثل تكوين الهدف الفعال وايضا فى التمرينات التى تحتاج الى بعض الشرح اكثر
به بعض الاجزاء المثيرة للشهية ولكنه فى اغلبه به شرح كثير لنقاط بسيطة ولكن قاصر جدا فى بعض الاشياء الاخرى
كتاب جيد
Michael
A well written book for introduction to NLP. I enjoyed the read. The last few sections of the book i skipped as they were like top ten lists and uses for NLP. Overall, the info is basic, but it gives you a great starting point into NLP.
Rose Sicoli
An easy and informative read. It was geared to more basic levels of NLP, but sets a nice foundation for someone looking to expand on it through a workshop or course.
Trevor
Kind of bought into NLP hype when this book came out. It wasn't even interesting.

Nowadays it's considered bogus science.
Barry J.
Excellent introduction to NLP. I must revisit it soon.
Isai
Este es uno de esos libros que cambian la vida.
Jaime
Jaime marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Jamil Babli
Jamil Babli marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Michael Shulman
Michael Shulman marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Lina Pedraza
Lina Pedraza marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Zeliha
Zeliha marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Scott Mobley
Scott Mobley marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Houda Haytham
Houda Haytham marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
  • Do They Think You're Stupid?: 100 Ways Of Spotting Spin And Nonsense From The Media, Celebrities And Politicians
  • How to Avoid Being Killed in a War Zone: The Essential Survival Guide for Dangerous Places
  • Against the Odds: An Autobiography
  • Bash Cookbook: Solutions and Examples for Bash Users
  • Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Dummies
  • Classic Shell Scripting: Hidden Commands that Unlock the Power of Unix
  • Poorly Made in China: An Insider's Account of the Tactics Behind China's Production Game
  • Getting Started with Processing
  • The Craftsman
  • Learning the bash Shell
  • Cooking Basics for Dummies
  • Rebel Code: Linux And The Open Source Revolution
Neuro-Linguistic Programming Workbook for Dummies Building Rapport with NLP In A Day For Dummies La PNL pour les Nuls (French Edition) NLP-Grundlagen für Dummies Das Pocketbuch (German Edition) Neurolingvistiline programmeerimine võhikutele