Start by marking “Suckers” as Want to Read:
Suckers

Suckers

In the greed-is-good Eighties, The Look is black clothes with white faces, black hair, and mouths painted scarlet, but Dora knows she must stop a takeover by terminally chic vampires.
Published November 4th 1993 by Atheneum Books (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Suckers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suckers

Robert Beveridge
I picked this one up figuring it'd be a quick, superflouous read that would help me increase the hit rate this year and not spend too much time floating around in my skull. And that's exactly what I got, though I didn't expect it to be quite so good. Billson is a writer of the McInerney/Ellis/Janowitz stripe, and must have gotten this MS. in just before the cutoff for eighties-style fiction guillotined across the publishing landscape. However, Billson keeps the greed-is-good atmosphere to just ...more
Mandy
May 18, 2012 Mandy rated it it was ok
I was a little confused at the beginning...I thought the to main charaters were vamps. I had to reread it a couple times before I realized they weren't. It's set in the 80's so there is a lot of 0's references especially about cocaine. It kinda dragged on and didn't really go anywhere for. Honestly I sped read through the last few chapters.
Lea Patrick
Sep 06, 2015 Lea Patrick rated it really liked it
Hilarious read: one of my favorite vampire books EVER! I still feel there are ingredients from this anti-heroine flowing through my veins at all times.
Amelia Mangan
Nov 03, 2014 Amelia Mangan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When a friend falls in love, it is generally assumed that the gracious course of action is to simply accept it and avoid interfering. However, what to do upon discovering that your friend's new partner is an incredibly powerful, centuries-old vampire queen is a situation that Emily Post doesn't cover, so Dora Vale - a likable, frazzled, no-nonsense London fashion consultant - is forced to take matters into her own hands, dispatching Violet the vamp in a bravura comic-horror sequence that would ...more
Oliver Clarke
Jan 15, 2016 Oliver Clarke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I owned a paperback copy of Suckers in the late 90s, but it was a book that never quite made it to the top of the "to read" pile. Rediscovering it as an eBook nearly 20 years later I wish it had, as I think I might have liked it even more if I'd read it in my 20s. It's a fast-paced, extremely engaging read that switches effortlessly from humorous to horrifying and packs in both contemporary (but still resonant) social commentary and a subtle take on the human condition that is beautifully ...more
Althea Ann
I got this book based on the author's short story in Granta's 'Best British Novelists.' (And I was like, 'what? A vampire novel I've never heard of?') It was interesting, but I don't think I'd place it in a best-of-the-best list.
It was extremely 90's, to the point of feeling a bit dated sometimes. It reminded me a slight bit of Bret Easton Ellis in tone and attitude.
The narrator, Dora, a 'creative consultant,' discovers that her sometime-lover's girlfriend is a vampire, and proceeds to uncover
Simon
Feb 09, 2013 Simon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-and-fantasy
Vampires bore me, as a rule. Fortunately they don't turn up until later on in this novel, giving the author the time to establish characters and milieu to the extent that when things did turn gory and fantastical I was willing to go with it.
I'd have appreciated a little more detail about the vampires' plans and how exactly that would have worked out, and the plotting is a little patchy in places, but the sympathetic (or, when she isn't, she's at least interestingly unsympathetic) protagonist pul
Elke
Jan 31, 2012 Elke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Einer der ersten Vampirromane, die ich gelesen habe. Spannend und erotisch zugleich, mit dem Styling der 80er Jahre und ohne sich selbst zu ernst zu nehmen, bietet das Buch kurzweilige Unterhaltung nicht nur fuer Fans des Vampirgenres.
Dana
Sep 12, 2015 Dana rated it it was amazing
Definitely NOT your typical vampire novel. A voice like Anne Billson's with her cranky, vain, hilarious protagonist Dora, comes along so rarely that it sticks with you always. After Anne Rice's series, THIS is the vampire book you need to read.
Steve
Aug 26, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sf-super
This semi-comic vampire novel, about the undead in the fashion industry in London, hit the shelves way before the current vampire craze. Billson's wry writing style makes this book a winner.
Jason Mock
May 28, 2013 Jason Mock rated it it was ok
There are brief moments of funny writing in this
unusual vampire tale, but this reader had a hard time connecting
to the characters and the situations.
sonicbooming
A fun read that had me laughing, smiling, & turning pages. Bret Easton Ellis meets Anne Rice. A pleasant distraction from all the Nabokov I've been reading.
Dennis Cooper
Dennis Cooper rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2013
Michael Brown
Michael Brown rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Craig Purshouse
Craig Purshouse rated it it was ok
Mar 26, 2014
Lisa-jane
Lisa-jane rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2011
Tanya
Tanya rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2012
John Rose
John Rose rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2011
Eamonn
Eamonn rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2015
Gordon
Gordon rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2013
Alexander
Alexander rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2010
Yuliya Marchak
Yuliya Marchak rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2014
John Gair
John Gair rated it really liked it
May 05, 2014
Esme
Esme rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2014
Teresa
Teresa rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2012
Susan C
Susan C rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2010
Binkeybat Bugfang
Binkeybat Bugfang rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
May 07, 2010
  • Vespers
  • Midnight Blue: Sonja Blue Collection
  • Vampires Among Us
  • Vamps: Deadly Women of the Night
  • Near Death (Power of the Blood, #2)
  • The Book of Common Dread (Vincent DeVilbiss, #1)
  • The Vampire Tapestry
  • Piercing the Darkness: Undercover with Vampires in America Today
  • Der Todesstoß (Die Chronik der Unsterblichen, #3)
  • The Kindred of Darkness (James Asher, #5)
  • Monstrocity
  • Live Girls
  • Sabella
  • Nocturna: Die Nacht der gestohlenen Schatten
Anne Billson, who was born in Southport in 1954, is a film critic, novelist and photographer whose work has been widely published.

Her books include studies of John Carpenter's The Thing and Tomas Alfredson's Let the Right One In, as well as horror novels Suckers, Stiff Lips and The Ex. In 1993 she was named one of Granta's "Best Young British Novelists" and selected as part of W.H. Smith's "Fresh
More about Anne Billson...