Start by marking “Stained Glass Monsters (Eferum, #1)” as Want to Read:
Stained Glass Monsters (Eferum, #1)
read excerpt* *Different edition

Stained Glass Monsters (Eferum #1)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  33 reviews
When a motionless woman dressed in white appears in the village of Falk, Kendall Stockton has no inkling that the strange apparition will soon leave her homeless, and tangled in the affairs of mages and monsters. For the white figure is the first sign of a spell which will shatter cities, and make the caster as powerful as the gods.

Saved by a stranger who claims her goal i
ebook, multi format ebook at Smashwords
Published January 3rd 2011 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Stained Glass Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stained Glass Monsters

Jacob Proffitt
Höst continues to give us deep, evocative worlds with this fantasy novel. In this book, the background plays a very large role as the plot is heavily driven by a dire threat to the kingdom the characters inhabit.

Tyrland is a kingdom that had been under a light siege from the Eferum—a parallel world of carnivorous shadows that sometimes break into our world to wreak havoc. Tyrland is protected by an elite force of mages who increase their power by spending time in the Eferum—which is tricky enoug
Dave Versace
Stained Glass Monsters is a pearler, a romantic fantasy with a welcome sense of restraint, for all that the fate of the world is at stake. Initially the story is told from the perspective of resourceful orphan Kendall, who is rescued from an unexpected magical disaster by a mysterious stranger who knew it was going to happen. Kendall, now homeless, is more or less dragged into the wake of the secretive mage, Rennyn, as the authorities appear on the scene and the scope of the threat becomes clear ...more
Josie
I won this book through a Goodreads First-Reads giveaway. Based on the blurb I was initially unsure if I would really enjoy this book; the quoted portion of the novel was kind of rough and the plot summary a bit vague. But after the first few chapters got me settled into the world and the characters better, the novel really swung into high gear and became engrossing.

Things I liked the most:
-The Kellian. Oh my, the Kellian. Stained Glass Monsters indeed. Yet I can see them as amazingly beautiful
Emily Leathers
Feb 10, 2012 Emily Leathers rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone in search of a tight, fast-paced fantasy read
Another delightful, female-led story by Ms Host. I'm finding her writing consistently enjoyable, and her settings and tone different from series to series (as opposed to authors who just re-write the same basic set of books over and over with different tweaks - Monopoly, Star Wars Monopoly, Monopoly-in-your-favourite-city). It is however fun to see how small bits of some stories turned into significant ideas for subsequent ones.

I love the fast pace of this book, and how it started when the actio
Tsana Dolichva
Stained Glass Monsters by Andrea K Höst is a standalone (ish) fantasy book from an author whose books I've enjoyed several times in the past. I added the "ish" because I just saw a listing on her website indicating that there will be another book in the same universe, apparently a sequel, but the first book is pretty self-contained.

This was a nice read. The two main characters — Rennyn, the powerful mage who has been trained her whole life to save the world, and Kendall, the teenage orphan that
Doug Waddell
Disclaimer: I received this book via a Goodreads contest; there was no requirement to post a review.

I initially signed up for this book to pre-read it for my 13 year old daughter, so I didn't have any idea if I would like it or not. To my surprise I found myself going back to read another section even after I had set it down. The characters were likable and their actions were believable given the circumstances they were in. While the general path of the story was somewhat predictable, there were
Melanie
ShhooTHuMP

This is how this book starts, and in all honesty I very nearly stopped at that. I don't know why, but it just immediately put me off. In fact, I did stop reading after that first word, before coming back to it a couple of weeks later, determined to give it a chance to redeem itself.

Luckily for the book, it recovered well from it's bad first impression, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't really follow the magic system at all and found the sometimes quite lengthy passages explaining i
Li
I've been remiss about not posting about this earlier, bearing in mind how much I enjoyed the book. In a way, STAINED GLASS MONSTERS reminded me of Sharon Shinn's Summers at Castle Auburn, which happens to be one of my favourite YA fantasy books.

I loved the story in this one - it had a really imaginative plot and is something quite different to other fantasy stories out there. I liked how the author trusted you to get the world, instead of spelling out every single detail. The dual POV worked we
Estara
Feb 26, 2012 Estara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like competent, take-charge, caring female heroines who save the country
Recommended to Estara by: having been so happy with the Touchstone Trilogy I finally got around to starting this.
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2012
Leonie
I enjoyed Stained Glass Monsters. My rating is really a 3.5. I recently read And All the Stars by the same author and enjoyed it thoroughly, so I thought I'd try another of her works. Andrea K. Host has created a clever and intriguing world in Stained Glass Monsters, full of fascinating hints of further things to come.

Stained Glass Monsters has an interesting premise - the real world, and The Eferum - a place which isn't really here, but is throughout everything, and is used to create magic in t
Lexie
Prelim Review: Its to be expected that I would enjoy this, all of Höst's books have been greatly enjoyed by me. This is however the one I've put off reading because at first I wasn't certain about it. I'm really uncertain why, I bought it (Kindle and paperback edition), I happily displayed it and told folks about it when I would mention Höst's works to them. I just somehow didn't get around to reading it yet.

Then I got sick and was laid up in bed unable to move more then a few feet and this just
Carrie
3.5-4 stars

This was an interesting story, that was told from to main people, Rennyn and Kendall.

Ren is on a quest to stop the Black Queens grand summoning from happening, something her family has been working on for generations. She had hoped to do it without being seen, with only the help from her brother. But things don't go as planed and she get's tangled up with others. Kendall, has the potential to be a mage, but doesn't really think she can do it.

I like the story, I'll probably check out
April
This was an excellent fantasy adventure. Full of good characters, interesting magic and a nicely twisted plot - I didn't want to put it down.

The ending was suitably final to be the end of the story but with enough loose ends to make more books possible. Personally, I'm hoping for more books.
Dichotomy Girl
I'm a huge fan of this author's scifi works. I've read The Touchstone Trilogy twice (in the same year, even) and I loved And All the Stars.

This is the first fantasy novel that I've read by her, and I can't say that I loved it as much as the others, and yet I found it very enjoyable.

One of the biggest obstacles with her novels is that the world building and magic systems tend to be very complex, and I'm always left with a feeling that I don't quite understand exactly what is going on. (To be fai
ala
Somehow I hesitated to read this novel -- I guess the description just didn't grab me. But I should have known better. This was another engaging story from Andrea Host. As of now, I will read anything this woman writes without second guessing. I promise!

Once again we are given a very sympathetic heroine. I loved that Rennyn starts right out as a very accomplished, powerful magic wielder. This means her task is less about learning her abilities and limits (as in so many fantasies) but rather she
Pauline Ross
This one starts with a bang, as a mysterious woman in white appears out of nowhere, seemingly, into the middle of a peaceful village. She stays exactly where she is for the rest of the book, but the story races about all over the Kingdom of Tyrland as the former Queen, now exiled into Eferum, the ‘other’ world, tries to make good her return.

There are two main characters, of whom Rennyn is the more interesting by far. Intelligent, competent and entirely self-sufficient, yet she never becomes a Ma
Kelley Ceccato
Before I go any further, I want to address an issue brought up in another review, namely the possibility that the sequel to this book will feature a love triangle between Kendall, Sebastian, and Sutaka. My reaction to that is:

NO! Please, please don't! Kendall is my least favorite character in this novel, and the only moments at which I find her sympathetic are those moments when she is acting as a friend to Sukata. I want to see that friendship deepen and develop, and as far as I'm aware, no fem
Jay
while a good book, and i look forward to the next one, the characters aren't as compelling as those of Höst's Medair or Touchstone books.
Sassapphras
The story was very original and I liked it very much. I do, however, wish there was more personal detail. I would have loved to know the characters a little better. I put this book off many times because the change of perspective between the two main characters threw me off (it always does, it wasn't anything particular with this story--just my personality). I'm glad I finally got through it, though. I love Andrea K. Host's mind! I wish I had more to read by her right now, but alas, I have gorge ...more
Brian
I received this book through a contest on goodreads and apologies for taking so long to review as I have so many to-reads. I am also not the fastest reader out there lol.

I found it a little hard to get into, but once I got comfortable and actually took time to sit down and read it started to pick up. I would recommend it for a lighter fantasy reader or someone starting out.
Lorena
Don't be put off by the terrible and not-terribly-relevant title...this is another excellent story from Andrea Höst. As usual, I am impressed by Höst's ability to craft interesting and rich characters and illustrate the world in which they live in an amazingly quick and natural way. This is listed as "Eferum #1," so I hope there will be followups!
Dikaye
Need to re-read this since I read it in intervals and I was forgetting part of the story line. Overall, I found it less compulsively readable than the Touchstone trilogy and the Medair duology. While I like my romance understated, the one here was a little too subtly introduced.
C
I liked it, though a couple of the characters were a bit too familiar for me having just read Touchstone. I haven't yet read enough of her books to say definitively but, it seems like Andrea Host has very specific 'type' when it comes to male romantic heroes.
Christine
Loved this book!

Almost turned down this book because I thought the synopsis was mediocre, and I'm so glad I didn't. The characters were wonderful, strong and individual. The magic got a little confusing at times for me, but the gist of it is there.
Tabbatha
Like some many other reviews of this book, the book is far better than the description. You are instantly thrown into an epic battle, where you fall immediately in love with the characters. Highly suggest this book. Just wish there were more.
I enjoyed this book, it took some time to get into all the mysteries and understand where the characters were heading. Loved the concept behind the magic and monsters. Will be buying the next book asap.
Amanda Martin
I absolutely loved this book. It was very bold and out there. I've passed on to my little sister, she hasn't set the book down. :)
Kristina Franken
I highly recommend this book for anyone

FTC: I received a free copy of this book and was not reimbursed in any other way.
Mike
Jan 20, 2011 Mike marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This book sounds interesting. Even the title, "Stained Glass Monsters" depicts it as being original.
Rosanne - Books Are Better Than Pants
Original story. Liked it a lot.

Review to come...
Andrea K. Höst Q&...: Kellian books 7 10 Apr 16, 2014 10:53PM
  • Taming the Forest King
  • Memory's Wake (Memory's Wake Trilogy, #1)
  • Havenstar
  • Draykon (Draykon, #1)
  • My Love, My Enemy
  • Power and Majesty (Creature Court, #1)
  • Death-in-a-Box
  • The Trouble with Kings
  • Rebellion (Chronicles of Charanthe, #1)
  • Meridian v. 1: Flying Solo
  • Rituals (Rhapsody of Blood, #1)
  • To Ride Hell’s Chasm
  • Book of Iron
  • Conspiracy (The Emperor's Edge, #4)
  • Phantazein
  • Fire in the Mist (Arhel, #1)
  • Velveteen vs. The Multiverse (Velveteen vs., #2)
  • The Royal Sorceress (The Royal Sorceress, #1)
Born in Sweden and raised in Australia, Andrea K Höst currently lives in Sydney. She writes fantasy, but wanders occasionally into science fantasy.

Her novel "The Silence of Medair" was a finalist for the 2010 Aurealis Award for best fantasy novel.
More about Andrea K. Höst...
Stray (Touchstone, #1) Lab Rat One (Touchstone, #2) Caszandra (Touchstone, #3) And All the Stars Gratuitous Epilogue (Touchstone, #Extra)