Start by marking “Shut Up, Stop Whining, and Get a Life: A Kick-Butt Approach to a Better Life” as Want to Read:
Shut Up, Stop Whining, and Get a Life: A Kick-Butt Approach to a Better Life

Shut Up, Stop Whining, and Get a Life: A Kick-Butt Approach to a Better Life

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  598 ratings  ·  97 reviews
"Shut Up, Stop Whining, and Get a Life" was immediately hailed as "not your average self-help book" and demanded attention and praise right out of the gate. It is now considered one of the icons of the personal development movement. Now, Larry Winget is back with his signature caustic, no-nonsense, hilarious style, which earned him the titles "Pitbull of Personal Developme ...more
Published August 9th 2011 by John Wiley & Sons (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Shut Up, Stop Whining, and Get a Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shut Up, Stop Whining, and Get a Life

Tyra
I liked Larry Winget's no-holds-barred approach to a better self and a better life and, to my surprise, I found it helpful. The overarching idea is that if you want something, which could be anything from a better job to a better marriage, then go after it! (notice ! for he uses a lot of them).

For example, in one part of the book he explained how he once lived in Oklahoma, mainly because of family. He hated the weather, though, which gnawed at him daily. After doing a little math, he determined
Loy Machedo

This is the third book of Larry Winget that I decided to read and complete and it took me all but a few hours. And as advertized on the label – he is truly the Pitbull of Personal Development.

But herein lies the twist.

What can you expect from this book?

Straight forward wisdom?
A controversial method of thinking?
Something new?

Well you will be a bit surprised, if your expectations matched mine.

I believe this book came in around 2004 when Larry had already released around 8 book before that – mos
Angel
2005 was a pretty good year for reading, since I read a lot on the commute when I lived in Houston (about the only good thing out of that hideous commute to the city). Anyhow, here is my impression of this book from my journal back then:

>>This is a good, smart, straight forward self-help advice book. I think my director selected it for the business section, but the author addresses all walks of life. Basically, the idea is to take responsibility for your life. Don't like it, change it, bu
Дени Проданова
Какво да ви кажа... Купих книгата за приятелка, която има нужда от помощ и рекох да я прочета, за да съм сигурна, че ще има файда. Като цяло съм съгласна с 98% от написаното. Наистина моята философия за живота съвпада до голяма степен с възгледите на автора. Разбира се прочетох и големи глупости (заради които падна едната звезда), а другата падна заради самия автор.
Абе, Лари, пич, осъзнай се! Противоречиш си! През 15% от книгата обяснява каква щяла да бъде тя (директна, изпълнена с болезнена ис
Christopher Lewis Kozoriz
Nobody ever wrote down a plan to be broke, fat, lazy, or stupid. Those things are what happen when you don’t have a plan. ~ Larry Winget

I listened to this audio-book while driving to and from work. Unfortunately the audio-book was "not" read by the author, but a paid speaker. I prefer to listen to audio-books that are read by the author because I find you can better feeling of what the author was trying to say.

Also, there were things in this book that I did not agree with, such as having sex bef
Richard
I'm a fan of Larry Winget's plain talking approach to self-development. Overweight? Eat less and exercise more. Hard-up? Spend less and earn more. Fundamentally it's the simple answers that are the most powerful.

With that said, Winget's plain talking approach felt forced to me while I read this book. Some of the later chapters are only a page or two long and gave short, sharp advice that hit the mark. The chapters that were longer than that sometimes felt like they were too long and laboured the
M. Badawy
My first time ever to encounter someone speeching like Larry, through his unconventional, non-traditional and prosthetic way, this is by far the best self-help I've ever came across, and the Kick--Butt approach you may have never came across before that may really work wonders in the way you do envision life, people, work, and even relationships.
Nevertheless, I came into some areas where I didn't really think I sited with him, yet that was some very healthy read to me, probably would even love t
Indah W
This definitely NOT the usual kind of motivational, self-help or whatever elo mo mengkategorikan buku ini sebagai apaan, ahahaha..

Kalo yang udah terbiasa baca buku2 motivasi dengan bahasa2 yang halus, menghibur, dan menenangkan, waahh.. dijamin bakal terkaget2 pas baca buku yang satu ini karena so many times mungkin kita akan merasa diserang oleh sang penulis, wakakakakak :p

Contohnya nih yaa..

Seringkali khan kita ngerasa pengen diterima oleh orang lain sebagaimana adanya diri kita and banyaaak b
Christine

The title of this book jumped out at me from an Office Max endcap - I was feeling particularly moany & whiny at the time, & figured I needed something different to shock me into action.

Well, I got the shock, at least! ;)

MY TAKE ON IT:

Mr. Winget's style is definitely very different from the majority of business/motivational books I've seen. While reading "Shut Up," I found myself irritated or in disagreement with him most of the time. It seemed that his efforts to shock the reader outnu
Ebony
Winget said he was going to be harsh, but he wasn’t. He just told people the truth in a confrontational yet conversational style. His bragging about being an asshole seemed more like a marketing strategy than reality to me—considering all the Bible verses he quoted. I finished it. I’m not entirely sure why. I guess I grew to like him, and I wanted to know how he was going to say what he said because none of it was really new. It had a sexy tile with controversial chapter titles, but much of the ...more
Christina Wilder
It's impossible to miss the direction of Larry Winget's book "Shut Up, Stop Whining, & Get A Life"; the cover is in bold print, and Winget is crouching on the cover and pointing to the reader. He looks more like a member of Hell's Angels rather than someone who can help you with your life's troubles, but that's what works for him, and that's what sets this book apart from most self-help books.
Most books in the personal development section are designed to comfort, to inspire, sort of like a p
Amanda
Keksisbaby
Untypisch für Selbsthilferatgeber gibt der Titel des Buches die Quinteszenz des Buches wieder. "Halt den Mund, hör auf zu heulen und lebe endlich!" Zugegeben sehr provokant, aber genau das ist der Autor. Er liebt es zu provozieren und dadurch seine Leser seine Botschaft zu vermitteln. Er plädiert dafür das Leben aktiv zu gestalten und das Beste aus allem zu machen, sich aber auch seiner Fehler und Schwächen bewußt zu werden. Manchmal auf eine Art und Weise, dass man ihn für das größte Arschloch ...more
TC
As you can probably tell from the title this is a different kind of self-help book. And if you can't tell it from the title I will admit it here, it is not for everyone, but it sure is funny. It is a kick-your-butt approach to getting your life on track and taking responsiblity for the things that are wrong in your life and then it shows you how to deal with them. Not everyone will find it useful and if you are easily offended you will probably not find it funny either. But if you are willing to ...more
Brian
This guy doesn't have any more enlightenment than the average person other than a good dose of common sense. No earth shattering concepts that havent already been addressed by others a lot smarter and more intellectually refined than this "stone-age" neanderthal! His overuse of hard, in-your-face prose doesn't impress me in the least!
Cindy Peña
Larry Winget does what most people are afraid to do and that is face the truth. At times he is a bit repetitive but then again read the title. He's treating adults the way they act , as "children". Great read in my opinion.
Valérie
Stupid tone, uselessly provocative (especially for a young French Canadian reader... half the stuff in there isn't offensive at all), but helps put things into perspective.
Sharon Lensky
I have this on audio and listen to it periodically. Funny and practical and REAL.
Jim George
I agree with the author wholeheartedly. People for the most part are stupid, they don't take responsibility for their lives, they are too worried about being politically correct. They let their mouths write checks their booties can't cash. They point their fingers and blame everyone else, feel entitled, do just enough to get by, they are not willing to step up to the plate of the game of life. Just do the right thing, ante up, take responsibility. If the most important thing gets done, regardles ...more
Todd Alexander
Great book! No BS just common sense..Highly suggested!!!
Elizabeth
from the library
author calls himself a philosopher! He is a motivational speaker in the International Speakers Hall of Fame. ??

"three main reasons People are not successfull: people are stupid. People are lazy. They don't give a damn." He modified stupid to mean that people don't do what they know they should do.

"If your life sucks,its because you suck."

It isn't really as bad as these quotes. He actually has good thing to say but nothing I haven't read before and I am not motivated to read this
Douglas
Larry Winget was a guest speaker for Tony Robbin's Wealth Mastery Seminar. Very blunt and honest; just the way I like it.

The book was a worthwhile read with some bits of information that I will definitely keep in mind. My favorite was when he said something to the effect that: there is plenty of opportunity for people to do what they want, but what is scarce is people with the resolve to do it.

I blew through this book in two days. A lightning fast read. If you haven't heard him speak, you'll fi
charity
Nothing new here. Basically his advice can be summed up by saying, "just do it!". There's even a section on sex and he's not the kind of guy you want talking to you about sex. There are much better, more insightful books in this genre.
Robbi
Good advice. Permission even.
Skyline
The author does exactly what he promised: a confrontational, straight-forward method to success. No sugarcoating nor patronizing. He strips away all excuses most people hide behind and leave them uncomfortable with their lives.
I was going to give it a 5 star, but the last chapters became almost a rant about his life and his views about different topics that I was bored of.
I recommend this book for those who have tried conventional self-help books with no results.
Tom
I saw a video of this guy a few years ago, so I knew what I was getting into when I picked up this book. NOT your average "motivational" speaker/writer. He tells it how it is, no BS. In this book, he will basically tell you that if you're not happy with your life, it's your own fault and no one else's.

Be prepared for a swift kick in the rear. We all need one once in a while, and this book's ass-kicking should last for a little while!
Armand
Except for the part that you won't get a cold if you don't will it, Larry gives practical and straight advice without sugar coating his words. Sometimes arrogant but effective as he tells it as it is and honest enough to say that you won't have to agree with everything he says so long that you can work out a life plan based on what you believe, what you say, and what you do that gives you the best result based on your personal life design.
This too is a great book. I normally do not write in books, but I found myself writing and highlighting all the way through this book. I really like Wingets no nonsense approach. As I read the book, I wanted to smack Larry a number of times but, that's what made the book so good. What he said was the brutal truth. Larry is going to be speaking at the ATRA EXPO in Vegas in October. I am looking forward to seeing him in person.
Tomas Svitorka
number of really good points... although in this case most of its power is in his delivery... does make you laugh big time and often... also uncomfortable over your own laziness... if you strong enough to admit it to your self.... but I have to admit I was getting a bit itchy through the "God" chapter and for me disappointingly the "God" thing kept appearing bit too often for my taste.. but all in all worth reading.
Sokcheng Seang
Now, Larry wringet is someone I don't mind hanging out with. Some people might say his approach is a little harsh, but sometimes reality is a little harsh. I love how kicked back he is; you don't like your house? Change it! You don't like your partner? Figure it out! You don't like your job? Move the hell on!
Personally, I am in love with this approach, since this is how I live and this is how I shake my friends also.
  • All You Can Do Is All You Can Do But All You Can Do Is Enough!
  • Pay It Down!: From Debt to Wealth on $10 a Day
  • 50 Self-Help Classics: 50 Inspirational Books to Transform Your Life from Timeless Sages to Contemporary Gurus
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Psychology
  • The 12 Bad Habits That Hold Good People Back: Overcoming the Behavior Patterns That Keep You From Getting Ahead
  • Do It!: Let's Get Off Our Buts
  • The Path: Creating Your Mission Statement for Work and for Life
  • A Whack on the Side of the Head: How You Can Be More Creative
  • No Excuses!: The Power of Self-Discipline
  • When GOD Winks: How the Power of Coincidence Guides Your Life
  • Why You're Dumb, Sick, & Broke: And How to Get Smart, Healthy, & Rich!
  • Upside-Down Brilliance: The Visual-Spatial Learner
  • The 80/20 Individual: How to Build on the 20% of What You do Best
  • Overcoming Destructive Beliefs, Feelings, and Behaviors: New Directions for Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy
  • Do One Thing Different: Ten Simple Ways to Change Your Life
  • Living a Life That Matters: Resolving the Conflict Between Conscience and Success
  • Living Rich by Spending Smart: How to Get More of What You Really Want
  • Work in Progress: Risking Failure, Surviving Success
Larry Winget is a motivational speaker and writer on the topics of money, personal success and business.
More about Larry Winget...
It's Called Work for a Reason!: Your Success Is Your Own Damn Fault You're Broke Because You Want to Be: How to Stop Getting By and Start Getting Ahead People Are Idiots and I Can Prove It!: The 10 Ways You Are Sabotaging Yourself and How You Can Overcome Them Your Kids Are Your Own Fault: A Guide for Raising Responsible, Productive Adults Grow a Pair: How to Stop Being a Victim and Take Back Your Life, Your Business, and Your Sanity

“I have done the merry-go-round and I have ridden the roller-coaster. I have made my choice. I choose the roller-coaster. There is more risk when you choose the roller-coaster, but at least you will know you have lived.” 4 likes