Start by marking “The Skin Gods (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Skin Gods (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #2)

The Skin Gods (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne #2)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  1,606 ratings  ·  116 reviews
BONUS: This edition contains an excerpt from Richard Montanari'sThe Echo Man.

With the breakneck pacing and intricate plotting of his most recent novel, The Rosary Girls, Richard Montanari established himself as one of the most exciting suspense writers working today. Now he proves himself a virtuoso with The Skin Gods, an explosive new thriller featuring Philadelphia homic
Published March 14th 2006 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Skin Gods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Skin Gods

Taste of Fire by Jeannie Faulkner BarberThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonHeavy Duty People by Iain ParkeThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonClosure by Angela Ford
Best Modern Mystery, Crime fiction
99th out of 598 books — 703 voters
And Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieMurder on the Orient Express by Agatha ChristieCoyote in Provence by Dianne HarmanCoyote in Provence by Dianne HarmanThe Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
177th out of 274 books — 248 voters

More lists with this book...

Okay that's it, I'm 2/3s in and I just can't take it anymore. Montanari's writing is just BAD. I wasn't being catty when I said he writes like me at 16, he literally does! The over-descriptiveness, the weird awkward emo stuff that is meant to be deep... Actually, I think he's a lot WORSE than me at 16. The main female character has yet to have A SINGLE SCENE where she doesn't find some excuse to ponder how her life is basically over because she's now OVER 30 and thus practically dead. And just.. ...more
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
Most serial killers like to hide their work.....not so the Actor.
He is recreating and filming the death scenes from famous movies, and then splicing the scenes into rental videos.
Byrne is still recovering from being shot so Jessica has a new partner. But a woman from Byrne's past that he is forming a romantic attachment with, is abducted.
Are the two cases part of one?

I did not enjoy this book as much as I have the other Montanari's I read.
The book started with its usual shock factor (I think a
This book had an intricate plot with several victims, several suspects, and many unknowns. I never figured out whodunit and was surprised when the author finally made the reveal. I like Jessica Balzano and Kevin Byrne, both individually and as partners. The book was somewhat slow in places and got bogged down in too much description. For me, this slows the action when the pace could be so much faster.
The second book in Richard Montanari's "Byrne & Balzano" series, "The Skin Gods", is a solid and action packed mystery thriller. Detectives Kevin Byrne and Jessica are back with another set of grisly murders. Byrne is hit for a loop when ravaged with cancer dying cop Phil Kessler, accuses Byrne's recently deceased former partner Jimmy of planting evidence in a brutal crime. This leads to serial killer, and one really nasty guy named Julian Matisse being sprung from prison. for Byrne the manh ...more
Jen Suguitan
A series of thriller movies had been spliced up and replaced with actual murders. Dubbed as The Actor, the serial killer seemed as if he's picking up his victims randomly. Detectives Jessica Balzano and Kevin Byrned must find out the connection between the murders and find the true identity of the killer before his killing spree takes a chilling turn.

The Skin Gods is the second installment of Richard Montanari's Balazano and Byrne Series and just like in The Rosary Girls, Montanari takes his rea
Sezin Koehler
The premise behind this book, a serial killer murdering people like scenes in famous films, was interesting, however the story fizzled out by the end and got way too convoluted to maintain its tension. That said, it was very well-written and I certainly would read more of Montanari's work.
Kristin Scandora
Plot had a lot of potential because the idea of the murder movie recreations sound good, but the writing didn't deliver. Flat character that you forget easily and confuse because they don't resonate. The two mains are okay, but not great. Killer doesn't even interest and lacks any depth. The "reveal" felt like the author was just listing relationships and reasons this guy was the killer to justify rather than have a plot that made sense throughout the book. Seemed like it was written without the ...more
Elizabeth Moffat
I love the characters in this book although I think I preferred The Rosary Girls for storyline. In this novel, a killer re-creates famous death scenes from Psycho, Fatal Attraction and Scarface. Quite a bit of action, with a few "shock" moments.
Sian Wadey
I have read a number of Richard Montanari books, but as always, not in the right order. The Skin Gods is the second in the Balzano and Byrne series, and kicks off with a murder being spliced into a video tape of Psycho. Already this setup dates the book as nowadays this crime would be uploaded to YouTube and viral within minutes.
I enjoy both leads, especially when Balzano goes undercover, but for me, this novel was a bit too convoluted, a bit stretched out, with too many names to remember. It wa
Perhaps i was so impressed by the first one, that this second one did not impress me as much! For me it got abit too personal, and the crime didn't entice me as much as the first one did...
Carla Baptista
This was my second book from Montanari. I like the first one, it was ok. But this one was terrible. One of the worst books ive ever read and its the last one. ...more
Esther Fanny
Wow....... totally TERRIFIC ! what can i say unless this book hooked me up.

i love the storyline. just like watching a thriller movie awhile i'm reading it.
Susan Leary
OOOH...creepy. Great plot, great characters,a whodunnit that ambushed me. What more could a mystery buff wish for? The continuing detective characters are so likable and so human that one has no problem suspending their belief in their existence. This is my second work by Montinari and I have already ordered the third and fourth. That's how convinced I am in their continued appeal. They are grim and graphic, not for the faint of heart, but if you have the stomach for realism, have at it! I am pr ...more
Jul 16, 2015 Frances rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lea
Recommended to Frances by: Barbara
After reading The Doll Maker, Montanari's current book, I was eager to read others. While it may not have the polish of The Doll Maker, this did not disappoint.
I really need to read The Rosary Girls, which is the first in the series of police offices Kevin Byrne and Jessica Balzano; but this was what I was able to get at the library.
As before, the story centers around a serial killer who is copying scenes from movies, killings that take place in bathtubs. It is certainly not for the squeamish; b
Confusing cast of characters.
It amazes me how quickly some authors – Montanari included – shape up their story-telling ability between first and second-in-a-series novels. Not that there was anything overtly wrong with The Rosary Girls, but if I hadn’t already bought The Skin Gods, I might have quickly forgotten my urge to try another, and the author would have fallen by the wayside of my reading journey.

In the Skin Gods, broken but still-in-the-game Detective Kevin Byrne and his partner Jessica Balzano discover that the s
Wayne Simmons
The blurb:

The streets of Philadelphia are blistering in the summer heat, the homicide rate is soaring and the nights belong to the mad. Detectives Kevin Byrne and Jessica Balzano are prowling the streets with a growing sense of unease. Where next will evil rear its ugly head?

When a series of seemingly unrelated crimes shatter the restless silence of the city, their worst fears are confirmed. A beautiful secretary is slashed to death in a grimy motel shower. A street hustler brutally murdered wit
Vince Liaguno
In his follow-up to the bestselling The Rosary Girls, Richard Montanari returns with The Skin Gods, a edge-of-your-seat page-turner that blends police procedure with pop culture in an ingeniously plotted, high-speed serial killer suspense thriller.

Montanari excels in creating a plot that’s at once intricate and complicated, but never so much so that the reader loses interest or becomes frustrated. Subplots abound, and if one enjoys their narratives layered and complex, The Skin Gods is your poi
Cypress Ruby
Wow, i did not expect that. I think I've found new good thriller author from now on. Just one thing though, there are waaaaay too many characters in this book, but for key characters, they had strong personality and easy to remember. I still like John Connolly's Charlie Parker's series though for troubled, dark, and deep detective gone rough rather than Kevin Bryne here, but i wont complain. The plot, the twist, the mystery. Everything combined perfectly. Nicely done.
Jay Jessmer
Totally grooving on the Byrne/Balzano books!! This was my favorite so far. The pacing was non-stop, there were just enough twists to keep yoou guessing and the "Byrne on the edge" thing is just awesome. He obviously over-steps the boundaries of what a cop can actually do, but come on, this is FICTION, right? With him, we get to indulge a little in, right or wrong, how many of us would like to see violent criminals who clog up our court system and burn tax-payers monet taken care of.
I love the
A really great idea for a storyline - a killer recreating famous murder scenes from movies and recording them, then splicing them into video rentals for the public to find. Yes a great idea but unfortunately I thought the writing fell a bit flat and didn't have the "oomph" needed. Then there seemed to be endless characters being brought into the book which was annoying. I won't be bothering to read the rest of the series I'm afraid.
ich glaube mit der Zeit werde ich immer pingeliger bei Thrillern. vielleicht liegt das daran dass ich schon so viele gelesen habe. Von der Grundidee ist dieses Buch durchaus interessant.
Es geschehen Morde die den Mordszenen aus berühmten Filmen nachempfunden sind. Diese tauchen dann auf Videokassetten auf. Hierbei wu
die Szenen in den Filmen von den echten Morden überspielt. Es geht viel um Filme und die Filmbranche allgemein. Dennoch wirkte mir die Handlung doch sehr oft zu konstruiert und überz
Cynthia Soh
Never able to guess who the Actor is, loves how the story unfolds itself, albeit a slow gradual buildup. But have always liked Richard Montanari's books. Following the first book (The Rosary Girls) I've read, this is the second. Love the intensity. But this book is really slow and confusing at times. How characters and chapters weaves in and out suddenly. I prefer The Rosary writing style.
As thrillers go, this was a decent one. The book held my interest, and i was eager to read the solution to the mystery. The two lead characters had good backstories, and they were likable enough to allow me to care what happened to them. the author creates an almost airtight case for one person being the murderer, then the book takes a left turn and it someone completely different. It was a little jarring, but I like the fact that the mystery was complex and not easily solved.

The only reason I'm
Kenneth L. Arsham,M.D.
great story except for the villain

I have read the first two of the Byrne and Balzano books. I have enjoyed them both and plan to read more of the series. The main characters are engaging and the reader wants more. The problems are the villains who come out of the blue....normal by day and psycho by night.
Belinda Elizondo
Good author to follow the John Sanford series. Based in Philadelphia, the reader gets familiar with 2 detectives whose lives we follow. Could use some light moments, but the author succeeds in keeping the reader's attention. One learns to really care about the characters. Enjoying the series so far.
The site ate a longish review before I could post so am not going to the effort to repeat. Didn't like THE SKIN GODS as well as Montanari's first Byrne/Balzano book THE ROSARY GIRLS but will stick with the series since I've bought books three and four. He's a good writer but there's an irritating plot device involving killers completing complicated tableaus before murdering victims that I hope does not continue in all the books - just not realistic enough. The strongest point of the series is th ...more
Martta HP
If you enjoy your crime fiction with a good dose of preachiness and moralizing, this is the series for you. I'm guessing the next book will be about the Evils of Abortion.

Oh, and the tacked-on supernatural powers of one of the main characters. That was there too.
Brian Krause
Not as good as The Rosary Girls but still well-written and a good sophomoric effort after the debut. Byrne and Balzano do not disappoint. The murders were interesting and once again, I didn't know whodunit until almost the end, even before he was revealed. I like this writer and I like this series.
Barbara ★
Detectives Kevin Byrne and Jessica Balzano catch a serial killer case that revolves around the movie industry. The many old-movie references get tedious and annoying after a while. The killings are gruesome and somehow spiced into actual VHS tapes and placed on video store shelves. The mystery is extremely complex with multiple suspicious characters and storylines. The bad guy was a complete shock to me. This revelation came completely out of left field and was very surprising.

I found the begin
  • The Dead Room (Darby McCormick #3)
  • Death Message (Tom Thorne, #7)
  • Fear Itself
  • The Hundredth Man (Carson Ryder, #1)
  • Midnight Rambler (Jack Carpenter #1)
  • Stripped (Jonathan Stride, #2)
  • Kill Zone (Lucy Guardino FBI Thrillers, Book #3)
  • The Executioner (Robert Hunter, #2)
  • Live Bait (Monkeewrench #2)
  • Crosscut (Evan Delaney, #4)
  • Eleven Days
  • Blood of Angels
  • The Last Temptation (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #3)
  • A Killing Night (Max Freeman, #4)
  • Relentless (Tina Boyd #2)
  • Blood on the Tongue (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #3)
  • The Anniversary Man
Richard Montanari is the Top Ten Sunday Times bestselling author of The Rosary Girls, The Killing Room, The Stolen Ones and the upcoming thriller, The Doll Maker.

* Jack Paris
* Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne
More about Richard Montanari...

Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne (8 books)
  • The Rosary Girls (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #1)
  • Merciless (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #3)
  • Play Dead
  • The Echo Man (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #5)
  • The Killing Room (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #6)
  • The Stolen Ones (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #7)
  • The Doll Maker
The Rosary Girls (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #1) Merciless (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #3) The Echo Man (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #5) Play Dead The Doll Maker