Start by marking “Angels” as Want to Read:
Angels

Angels

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,456 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
Yes, angels are real.They are not the productof your imagination.

“If we had open spiritual eyes we would see not only a world filled with evil spiritsand powers—but also powerful angels with drawn swords, set for our defense.”

—Billy Graham

Dr. Graham lifts the veil between the visible and the invisible world to give us an eye-opening account of these behind-the-scenes agent
Published April 9th 2000 by Thomas Nelson (first published September 24th 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angels

Ashley
Jan 03, 2011 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
I started reading this book because a friend brought up a discussion on angels. Before reading this text, I thought angels were scary. They were these holy beings that weren't human, and not made in God's image.....so what were they? I always pictured eerie beautiful creatures bringing God's judgment to the fallen world. Part that idea is still true. They are beautiful. They are holy. They are different from man- and thank God for it! Where before I felt weirded out, I now feel protected. Death ...more
Davina Sinclair
Oct 06, 2012 Davina Sinclair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found this book really helpful in understanding the role of angels. Towards the beginning of the book he looks at how satan tries to rob mankind of the strength and comfort of faith by using "ifs" and "buts" to make us doubt God (i.e Garden of eden). He looks also at how angels are to help people minister the message of the gospel of Christ, but they are not to detract from it. In the middle of the book he talks aboutHebrews 11 where he believes angels helped and protected some people who accomp ...more
John
Apr 13, 2012 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This little book by Billy Graham is a nice primer as to exactly what claims about angels the Bible actually makes. It's a fairly simplistic view, and not particularly deep, but it is well-grounded and extremely readable. However, due to all the references to "Dr. Graham" on the book's back cover, I would have liked his writing style to be a bit more academic. Also, three "altar calls" in a book that runs less than three-hundred pages seems a bit excessive--but, then again, this IS Billy Graham w ...more
J.B. Simmons
Mar 17, 2015 J.B. Simmons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith
Billy Graham offers great insight into what the Bible says about angels. This is not about one-off stories of miracles or random sightings. It's not even about Graham's personal speculations. It's about the text of the Bible, simple as that (except, of course, that this topic is far from simple...). Graham canvasses the big questions (e.g., do they exist? why? do they really have wings?) without going too deep into a single mystery. It's like an intro class, edifying and uplifting.

(I listened to
Nancy Bandusky
This book covers a multitude of topics of the fascinating creatures: angels. With support for his statements and stories to emphasis points, the author provides the reader with a good foundation and understanding.

While the author apparently wrote so a reader could jump around to chapters of interest, I found the repeating of information to be tedious when one reads from beginning to end. Also, while the Gospel message is important (and the author is an evangelist) the book does switch into that
Rod
Apr 03, 2011 Rod rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible

Thanks Billy, this book really gets the job done. It should almost be called "the simplicity of angels". Not because angels are simple - but because Mr. Graham takes all of the confusion and chaos that popular culture has turned angels into and just shows us what the Bible clearly says.

Billy doesn't talk much about the angels that false religions claim to credit. Now that would of been interesting. This book was printed many many years ago...but i'm surprised that the false Angels of Islam, Morm
Sue
Apr 25, 2014 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, read-2014
This is the second time I've read this interesting and well-researched book by the well-known (and now very elderly) American evangelist Billy Graham. The book was published in 1975; in the introduction it's stated that there was an increasing interest in the occult and evil spirits in that era, but almost nothing about angels. So Billy Graham set out to fill the gap.

He essentially considers what we can know about angels from the Bible; and it's a surprisingly large amount. He describes what is
Matthew
Jul 25, 2014 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. This is a good survey of what the Bible says about angels. If you have any questions about who the angels are or how they operate, then you may want to pick up this book.

For me this book was a strong reminder that God's angels exist for God's glory. They serve and protect in order to support God's people and God's plan. And it's humbling to realize we are the "spectacle" for the angels, as Paul shares, because we are the recipients of God's plan of salvation and redemption.

There's a d
Liv
Jul 11, 2009 Liv rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as uplifting as I expected, but masterfully outlines the role of angels in our lives, as well as in the lives of those who defeated evil and overcame amazing circumstances as documented in the Bible.
Hannah S
Jun 30, 2015 Hannah S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything you want to know about Angels in our world and more!

A really good Christian insight into the world of God's servants. Providing descriptions of well known protectors throughout the bible such as Gabriel (The messenger) and Michael (The archangel) and their roles both past, present and angels roles in the future.

I loved the points Billy raised about how the world focuses too much on the sins of the demons and not enough on the might of God's angels. The book also provides accounts of a
Mary
Jun 03, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gives a good explanation of "angels." They are NOT the souls of the departed but beings created by God for purposes not the same as those of humans.
Sara
Popped up in my recommendations and I remembered - yeh, I read this back in the 80's.
Kitty Bucholtz
Apr 15, 2015 Kitty Bucholtz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for research for a novel I'm writing. It was very helpful, sticking to the Bible for information we currently know about angels (primarily heavenly angels, not as much on fallen angels). It was easy to read and relatively quick to read (just under 200 pages). One of the things I liked best was seeing Billy Graham's sweet heart in every chapter as he explained how and why Jesus is the Savior we all need. I heard him speak live once and he writes like he appears in person, like so ...more
Merilee
This book gives a good, Biblical treatment of the topic of angels, and is worth reading.

However, sometimes Dr. Graham's conjectures are not highlighted as such and no (or little) Biblical evidence is given to support them. For example, he claims that angels cannot preach. But he doesn't define the term "preach" or how it is different from the angels stating their messages about the gospel from God. I don't necessarily disagree, it just wasn't very well defined or supported. There was another ins
Nathan
A good book on angels (one not arbitrarily mystical) is hard to find. But Billy Graham gives us a solid Biblical perspective. His book isn’t the best on its subject, but it is among the first—and a classic.

“The subject of angels,” Graham writes, “will be of great comfort and inspiration to believers in God—and a challenge to unbelievers to believe.”

Comforting and inspirational are an understatement. Graham covers topics as broad as angelic roles, hierarchy, difference from humans, fallen angels
F.C. Etier
Jun 03, 2011 F.C. Etier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A celebrated Philadelphia neurologist is summoned and led to the bedside of a woman suffering from pneumonia -- by a child that appeared normal to him, but had, in fact, been dead for a month.

A missionary in the New Hebrides Islands and his wife are protected from the imminent attack of natives by hundreds of men armed with swords -- visible only to the attackers.

Could these have been angels? “Some Christian writers have speculated that UFOs could very well be a part of God’s angelic host..” sa
Sharon
Nov 27, 2014 Sharon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Worth a read but strictly bible based. Would have preferred contrasting with other religions beliefs. Some statements are just made with nothing to back them. For example: Angels can only be in one place a time. That makes no sense to me. Why would Angels be constrained by human ties such as time and place? He states on Michael is an Archangel. But was an interesting read if you don't just read this book on the subject. I was challenged by a pastor friend of mine to read this.
Dorothy Bandusky
This book introduces readers to the angels and explains the important roles they play. While touching on the fallen angels (that is, demons), the author chooses to focus on those angels who serve God and minister to His people.

As the book is written so that chapters can be read out of order, there are necessarily occasional redundancies. Also, many chapters briefly digress and share the Gospel with the reader.

This guide is both informative and encouraging.
Debbie West
Aug 18, 2015 Debbie West rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book! I learned some Bible-based facts about angels of which I had been unaware. My family & I went through a tornado several years ago, and only angels could have dropped us out of the tiny hole we found ourselves under when everything had calmed down. God is in control! He uses his angels in many ways & Dr Graham explains how these heavenly beings are used to help us. This is a great book in which to learn more about our Heavenly guardians & messengers.
Massanutten Regional Library
Rebecca, North River patron, June 2016, 5 stars:

This is a well written and informative book. It offers encouragement and comfort to the reader. I especially appreciated the chapter "Angels and Death." Having lost a loved one recently I found great comfort in this chapter.
Brody Anderson
Mar 27, 2014 Brody Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not only did Rev. Billy Graham give a great overview of the roles and interactions Angels have with us everyday, there are great biblical facts included here as well. I learned several, several new things about the topic and was happily reminded of other great things God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit has done through history and for my family and I. This is a great read for someone looking to expand their knowledge.
John
Dec 02, 2015 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
With all the fascination with discussion on the darker side of the spiritual real, it was a breath of fresh air to listen to someone discussing on the topic of angels from the biblical perspective. But, I'd have to say, nothing mind-blowing information. Maybe it's because I was listening to abridged version.
Ed
Apr 12, 2014 Ed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a classic. It gives a thorough account of all angelic occurrences in scripture and lays out their purpose. It is both comforting and frightening at the same time what they can and are doing, daily. I highlight recommend if you want to understand more about these beings God created before us.

The only disappointing thing is there was no answer as to why Lucifer rebelled. I didn't really expect one as that isn't revealed in scripture, but I was hoping to hear some speculation from Billy Gra
Christopher Lewis Kozoriz
Millions of angels are at God's command and at our service. The hosts of heaven stand at attention as we make our way from earth to glory, and Satan's BB guns are no match for God's heavy artillery. So don't be afraid. God is for you. He has committed His angels to wage war in this conflict of the ages - and they will win the victory. ~ Billy Graham

If you want know more about the ministry of angels, then this is the book. Many illuminating stories and bible passages are presented to help us gain
Edgar
Mar 03, 2014 Edgar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Billy Graham does know how to write. This book backed up my knowledge on my faith and specifically on angels. A great book for any one. especially for those who are starting on their spiritual journey
Matthew Jones
Mar 15, 2014 Matthew Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this 1975 version when it was released . Balanced against the bible, this book opened my eyes to how Angels are so instrumental in helping us stay on the path.
Mike Matiscik
Aug 12, 2015 Mike Matiscik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid book. He does a good job of laying out biblical facts on this subject. This book is a classic on this subject. Hence, it should be in your library.
Anne Gooch
Dec 29, 2013 Anne Gooch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all I have to say that I love Billy Graham and everything he writes just makes so much sense to me.

This was my first book about Angels and I truly loved it and I took my time reading each chapter and I have learned so much about this book and Angels. Billy Graham taught me how to pray for God's angels to protect me and my loved ones and that is something I never knew to do until I read this book. I think this books is a must for anyone that wants to grow in their walk with God.

This book
Kevin Wallace
Dec 20, 2014 Kevin Wallace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the easy to read writing style of Rev. Graham! Answered all questions regarding Angels and their role in the Kingdom of God!
Judie Grabowski
Aug 01, 2015 Judie Grabowski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book after the death of my mom....1974. My husband died this July.......I need to find this book and retread it.
  • Kingdoms in Conflict
  • The Bible Promise Book - KJV
  • How to Give Away Your Faith
  • How to Pray
  • In His Image
  • Rumors of Another World: What on Earth Are We Missing?
  • The Life God Blesses: The Secret of Enjoying God's Favor
  • Slaying the Giants in Your Life
husband to Ruth Bell Graham
father of Ruth Graham, Gigi Graham Tchividjian, & Anne Graham Lotz, Nelson, & Franklin Graham

Dr. Billy Graham has authored more than 150 books.

Billy Graham's Son, Franklin Graham has taken the reigns of his ministry.

Billy Graham was married to Ruth (Bell) Graham until her death in 2007. Ruth Graham, was born Ruth Bell in Qingjiang, Kiangsu, China. Ruth's parents
More about Billy Graham...