Start by marking “Angels” as Want to Read:
Angels

Angels

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  1,306 ratings  ·  96 reviews
Yes, angels are real. They are not the product of your imagination.

"If we had open spiritual eyes we would see not only a world filled with evil spirits and powers--but also powerful angels with drawn swords, set for our defense."

--Billy Graham

Dr. Graham lifts the veil between the visible and the invisible world to give us an eye-opening account of these behind-the-scenes
Published April 11th 2000 by Thomas Nelson (first published September 24th 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angels

Ashley
I started reading this book because a friend brought up a discussion on angels. Before reading this text, I thought angels were scary. They were these holy beings that weren't human, and not made in God's image.....so what were they? I always pictured eerie beautiful creatures bringing God's judgment to the fallen world. Part that idea is still true. They are beautiful. They are holy. They are different from man- and thank God for it! Where before I felt weirded out, I now feel protected. Death ...more
Davina Sinclair
Found this book really helpful in understanding the role of angels. Towards the beginning of the book he looks at how satan tries to rob mankind of the strength and comfort of faith by using "ifs" and "buts" to make us doubt God (i.e Garden of eden). He looks also at how angels are to help people minister the message of the gospel of Christ, but they are not to detract from it. In the middle of the book he talks aboutHebrews 11 where he believes angels helped and protected some people who accomp ...more
John
This little book by Billy Graham is a nice primer as to exactly what claims about angels the Bible actually makes. It's a fairly simplistic view, and not particularly deep, but it is well-grounded and extremely readable. However, due to all the references to "Dr. Graham" on the book's back cover, I would have liked his writing style to be a bit more academic. Also, three "altar calls" in a book that runs less than three-hundred pages seems a bit excessive--but, then again, this IS Billy Graham w ...more
J.B. Simmons
Billy Graham offers great insight into what the Bible says about angels. This is not about one-off stories of miracles or random sightings. It's not even about Graham's personal speculations. It's about the text of the Bible, simple as that (except, of course, that this topic is far from simple...). Graham canvasses the big questions (e.g., do they exist? why? do they really have wings?) without going too deep into a single mystery. It's like an intro class, edifying and uplifting.

(I listened to
Nancy Bandusky
This book covers a multitude of topics of the fascinating creatures: angels. With support for his statements and stories to emphasis points, the author provides the reader with a good foundation and understanding.

While the author apparently wrote so a reader could jump around to chapters of interest, I found the repeating of information to be tedious when one reads from beginning to end. Also, while the Gospel message is important (and the author is an evangelist) the book does switch into that
Rod

Thanks Billy, this book really gets the job done. It should almost be called "the simplicity of angels". Not because angels are simple - but because Mr. Graham takes all of the confusion and chaos that popular culture has turned angels into and just shows us what the Bible clearly says.

Billy doesn't talk much about the angels that false religions claim to credit. Now that would of been interesting. This book was printed many many years ago...but i'm surprised that the false Angels of Islam, Morm
Sue
This is the second time I've read this interesting and well-researched book by the well-known (and now very elderly) American evangelist Billy Graham. The book was published in 1975; in the introduction it's stated that there was an increasing interest in the occult and evil spirits in that era, but almost nothing about angels. So Billy Graham set out to fill the gap.

He essentially considers what we can know about angels from the Bible; and it's a surprisingly large amount. He describes what is
Matthew
3.5 stars. This is a good survey of what the Bible says about angels. If you have any questions about who the angels are or how they operate, then you may want to pick up this book.

For me this book was a strong reminder that God's angels exist for God's glory. They serve and protect in order to support God's people and God's plan. And it's humbling to realize we are the "spectacle" for the angels, as Paul shares, because we are the recipients of God's plan of salvation and redemption.

There's a d
Liv
Not as uplifting as I expected, but masterfully outlines the role of angels in our lives, as well as in the lives of those who defeated evil and overcame amazing circumstances as documented in the Bible.
Pandora Latrivia
Everything you want to know about Angels in our world and more!

A really good Christian insight into the world of God's servants. Providing descriptions of well known protectors throughout the bible such as Gabriel (The messenger) and Michael (The archangel) and their roles both past, present and angels roles in the future.

I loved the points Billy raised about how the world focuses too much on the sins of the demons and not enough on the might of God's angels. The book also provides accounts of a
Mary
This book gives a good explanation of "angels." They are NOT the souls of the departed but beings created by God for purposes not the same as those of humans.
Sara
Popped up in my recommendations and I remembered - yeh, I read this back in the 80's.
Kitty Bucholtz
I read this book for research for a novel I'm writing. It was very helpful, sticking to the Bible for information we currently know about angels (primarily heavenly angels, not as much on fallen angels). It was easy to read and relatively quick to read (just under 200 pages). One of the things I liked best was seeing Billy Graham's sweet heart in every chapter as he explained how and why Jesus is the Savior we all need. I heard him speak live once and he writes like he appears in person, like so ...more
Merilee
This book gives a good, Biblical treatment of the topic of angels, and is worth reading.

However, sometimes Dr. Graham's conjectures are not highlighted as such and no (or little) Biblical evidence is given to support them. For example, he claims that angels cannot preach. But he doesn't define the term "preach" or how it is different from the angels stating their messages about the gospel from God. I don't necessarily disagree, it just wasn't very well defined or supported. There was another ins
Shireen
This book was recommended to me as a good start for reading up about angels, as it may have been the first to be written on the subject (in the modern era anyway). It starts out well, and it does cover many aspects of angels from their appearance to their function and immortality to their role in death. It also includes biblical references so that you can look up the citations and read them for yourself.

But Graham makes a few assumptions about some passages referring to angels, which I find a bi
Nathan
A good book on angels (one not arbitrarily mystical) is hard to find. But Billy Graham gives us a solid Biblical perspective. His book isn’t the best on its subject, but it is among the first—and a classic.

“The subject of angels,” Graham writes, “will be of great comfort and inspiration to believers in God—and a challenge to unbelievers to believe.”

Comforting and inspirational are an understatement. Graham covers topics as broad as angelic roles, hierarchy, difference from humans, fallen angels
F.C. Etier
A celebrated Philadelphia neurologist is summoned and led to the bedside of a woman suffering from pneumonia -- by a child that appeared normal to him, but had, in fact, been dead for a month.

A missionary in the New Hebrides Islands and his wife are protected from the imminent attack of natives by hundreds of men armed with swords -- visible only to the attackers.

Could these have been angels? “Some Christian writers have speculated that UFOs could very well be a part of God’s angelic host..” sa
Sharon
Worth a read but strictly bible based. Would have preferred contrasting with other religions beliefs. Some statements are just made with nothing to back them. For example: Angels can only be in one place a time. That makes no sense to me. Why would Angels be constrained by human ties such as time and place? He states on Michael is an Archangel. But was an interesting read if you don't just read this book on the subject. I was challenged by a pastor friend of mine to read this.
Dorothy Bandusky
This book introduces readers to the angels and explains the important roles they play. While touching on the fallen angels (that is, demons), the author chooses to focus on those angels who serve God and minister to His people.

As the book is written so that chapters can be read out of order, there are necessarily occasional redundancies. Also, many chapters briefly digress and share the Gospel with the reader.

This guide is both informative and encouraging.
Debbie West
I enjoyed this book! I learned some Bible-based facts about angels of which I had been unaware. My family & I went through a tornado several years ago, and only angels could have dropped us out of the tiny hole we found ourselves under when everything had calmed down. God is in control! He uses his angels in many ways & Dr Graham explains how these heavenly beings are used to help us. This is a great book in which to learn more about our Heavenly guardians & messengers.
Brody Anderson
Not only did Rev. Billy Graham give a great overview of the roles and interactions Angels have with us everyday, there are great biblical facts included here as well. I learned several, several new things about the topic and was happily reminded of other great things God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit has done through history and for my family and I. This is a great read for someone looking to expand their knowledge.
Ed
This is a classic. It gives a thorough account of all angelic occurrences in scripture and lays out their purpose. It is both comforting and frightening at the same time what they can and are doing, daily. I highlight recommend if you want to understand more about these beings God created before us.

The only disappointing thing is there was no answer as to why Lucifer rebelled. I didn't really expect one as that isn't revealed in scripture, but I was hoping to hear some speculation from Billy Gra
Christopher Lewis Kozoriz
Millions of angels are at God's command and at our service. The hosts of heaven stand at attention as we make our way from earth to glory, and Satan's BB guns are no match for God's heavy artillery. So don't be afraid. God is for you. He has committed His angels to wage war in this conflict of the ages - and they will win the victory. ~ Billy Graham

If you want know more about the ministry of angels, then this is the book. Many illuminating stories and bible passages are presented to help us gain
Edgar
Billy Graham does know how to write. This book backed up my knowledge on my faith and specifically on angels. A great book for any one. especially for those who are starting on their spiritual journey
Matthew Jones
Read this 1975 version when it was released . Balanced against the bible, this book opened my eyes to how Angels are so instrumental in helping us stay on the path.
Mike Matiscik
Solid book. He does a good job of laying out biblical facts on this subject. This book is a classic on this subject. Hence, it should be in your library.
Anne Gooch
First of all I have to say that I love Billy Graham and everything he writes just makes so much sense to me.

This was my first book about Angels and I truly loved it and I took my time reading each chapter and I have learned so much about this book and Angels. Billy Graham taught me how to pray for God's angels to protect me and my loved ones and that is something I never knew to do until I read this book. I think this books is a must for anyone that wants to grow in their walk with God.

This book
Kevin Wallace
Enjoyed the easy to read writing style of Rev. Graham! Answered all questions regarding Angels and their role in the Kingdom of God!
Judie Grabowski
I read this book after the death of my mom....1974. My husband died this July.......I need to find this book and retread it.
May
I had not reflected on how demons are more a focus than Angels. However, this book will do the trick for anyone that is curious about the topic. Graham goes through the bible in detail and gives many accounts of the nature and place of Angels in scripture. He shows both the power of the angels to destroy and to bless. They are not just random agents within the scope of Christianity, but enforcers of God's will (which in itself is interesting to consider, i.e. why God needs an army, but saved for ...more
  • Kingdoms in Conflict
  • When Christ Comes
  • My Heart's Cry
  • A Step Further: growing closer to God through hurt and hardship
  • What Wives Wish Their Husbands Knew about Women
  • Rumors of Another World: What on Earth Are We Missing?
husband to Ruth Bell Graham
father of Ruth Graham, Gigi Graham Tchividjian, & Anne Graham Lotz, Nelson, & Franklin Graham

Dr. Billy Graham has authored more than 150 books.

Billy Graham's Son, Franklin Graham has taken the reigns of his ministry.

Billy Graham was married to Ruth (Bell) Graham until her death in 2007. Ruth Graham, was born Ruth Bell in Qingjiang, Kiangsu, China. Ruth's parents
More about Billy Graham...
Just as I Am Nearing Home: Life, Faith, and Finishing Well The Journey: Living by Faith in an Uncertain World The Holy Spirit: Activating God's Power in Your Life Storm Warning