Start by marking “Most Secret” as Want to Read:
Most Secret

Most Secret

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  479 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Aboard a fishing boat named “Genevieve,” a small group of British officers and French fishermen—armed only with a flame thrower and small arms—plan a secret commando mission against the might of the German army after the fall of France in World War II. Each man has experienced a terrible loss of one kind or another, and each is fully prepared to face the risks of their des ...more
Published July 1st 2002 by House of Stratus (first published 1945)

To ask other readers questions about Most Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Most Secret

Lili
This is a book I read years ago and I enjoyed it immensely. I’ve read all of Nevil Shute’s books. The best by far is “A Town Like Alice.”
Peter
In truth this is a bit of "Boys' Own..." fiction. It was written mid-way through WW2, although I believe that actual publication was delayed almost until war's end. I'm an admirer of Shute's work, but acknowledge that it can be variable. I enjoyed the book, but I feel it's important to bear in mind the context of 1942 - just after the worst of Hitler's Blitz on Britain - before rushing to judgement on some of the sentiment and morality. Certainly do not start on Shute with this novel!
Jim
A wartime drama that lacked a certain amount of depth but made up for it by being a cracking yarn. I couldn’t resist of thinking often about women knowing their place, because they really do like fluffy bunnies as the Wren did in this story. The bloke did too, when he wasn’t bathing dastardly Nazis in sheathes of flame with his new and improved flame thrower. Another time another place, but that was part of the charm of the book, if charm’s the right word because there was also a hard-headed rea ...more
Beverly Gray
I have long been a fan of Nevil Shute. I was delighted to discover that a number of titles I have not read are now available for the Kindle and the Nook.

MOST SECRET was his usual job of craftsmanship. The characters were memorable and, as with many of his works, there was a subtle moral issue at the core of the book.

The following description comes from the book's product overview: Aboard a fishing boat named “Genevieve,” a small group of British officers and French fishermen—armed only with a f
Ann
A great read for people interested in WWII stories of ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances. In the middle of WWII, a group of unlikely young men come up with a plan to sail a Breton fishing boat that somehow ended up in England back to France. They plan to slip in with the fishing boats of Douarnenez under cover of night and destroy one or two of the German Raumboote that accompany the fishing fleet. Their secret weapon? A powerful flamethrower with a new and lethal fuel called "Worces ...more
Elinor
I'm a HUGE Nevil Shute fan. I adore his characters, his writing style, his characters, and his plots. Having said that, this is probably my least favourite book of his, simply because of the theme. Four British guys who all hate the Germans form a small commando unit with the express purpose of burning Germans to death with a newfangled flamethrower. Certainly this book was written in a different time and place, but I just couldn't get past the horror. I still love Shute, though.
Sean
Love how the narrator is known to us as a minor character who interjects his thoughts and opinions from time to time. He seems like a delightful, stiff upper lip with a sentimental streak kind of fellow. Shute tells a story like he personally had it told to him and now he's passing it along.

The story itself is not one of his best but it's likely that that old easy chair you always find yourself in is not the best piece of furniture you own. It's just so familiar and comfortable that it's where y
Jeremy Trumble
This is a great story written during World War Two about some brave people and the lives they lead. It shows you how war effect people and the lives they lead. This is a great story written when the war was raging across Europe....
David Foster
Great war story. Offers a better understanding of what French villages went through under German occupation. Nobody is a saint during war!
Logan
I really enjoy Nevil Shute's writing. It is very matter of fact and simple and clear, yet intriguing. I enjoyed this one.
Judy
I always enjoy Shute's books because of his clear and concise writing. An entertaining WWII story.
Michael Carlson
Who knows where I got this book or why. And while I was reading it I thought it was a memoir while, in fact, it's a novel. But I'm glad I had it and even gladder I read it!
Most Secret is a novel written and set in England during the dark years of World War II when victory was at best a hope, not a certainty. It concerns the valiant efforts of a motley crew of agents who bravely try to disrupt the peace of German-occupied France. The book has aged well although it's black and white depiction of g
Jill Dean
loved the period writing and the swift action.
Scilla
Another great book by Nevil Shute. In this one a motley group take over a French fishing vessel, do damage to the Germans in Brittany, and bring hope to the fishermen of Douarnenez. Simon, born of an English father and French mother is working in France when the Germans come in. He does some spying and then gets to England and leads the group. One man is American; one signs up after his wife is killed in an early blitz on London; and the last is a chemist. The personalities are well described, a ...more
Sophie
Feb 04, 2015 Sophie is currently reading it
Wasn't in the mood so will come back to it later.
Liz
Another fine WWII novel from Shute, with the usual mix of technical detail (in this case spy missions, flamethrowers, boats) and ordinary people that rise to the occasion and act nobly under pressure. This one had a little less strong of a plot and framing than some of his others, but if you're a Shute fan, you'll enjoy it anyway.
Dave
Good, but not a great Nevil Shute because too many details on characters' lives and fictional sea skirmishes with the Nazis. Written during WWII and illustrates the British and French Resistance determination to kill German soldiers, as many as possible, and in any way possible - e.g. using a floating flamethrower.
Christiane
I think N. Shute is a brilliant writer. I read most of his novels and found them interesting. There is always a streak of romance in them. But the people are real people, simple and described with lots of details. I like his description of war-torn Britain and what it does to people.
Julie
Classic Shute. A group of free French fishermen and British officers crew Genvieve to lead raids on German boats. Shute brings to the reader the stories of Genvieve's flawed, earnest and heroic crew.
Linda
Four British naval officers aboard a Frendh fishing vessel in a special operations mission in Brittany.

(Working from an old list of what I read years ago.)
Vicky Gauthier
Another Neville Shute book that will not disappoint.
Shaun
Jul 27, 2012 Shaun added it
Nevil Shute at his storytelling best
Cameron
An old book, but it still reads well.
Charlotte
Great WWII yarn.
Mark
Mark added it
Feb 24, 2015
Ian Sinke
Ian Sinke marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Ren
Ren marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
  • The Leader And The Damned
  • Time for a Tiger
  • Hitler's War
  • Dirty Little Secrets of World War II: Military Information No One Told You about the Greatest, Most Terrible War in History
  • The Head of Kay's
  • Cold Harbour
  • Partisans
  • Russia at War: 1941-1945
  • Goodbye Mickey Mouse
  • Southern Lady, Yankee Spy: The True Story of Elizabeth Van Lew, a Union Agent in the Heart of the Confederacy
  • Mister Roberts
  • The Legacy
  • Captain Corelli's Mandolin (Bbc Radio Collection) Abridged
  • A Century of War: Anglo-American Oil Politics and the New World Order
  • The Holocaust by Bullets: A Priest's Journey to Uncover the Truth Behind the Murder of 1.5 Million Jews
  • Patton: A Biography
  • The Good Shepherd
Nevil Shute Norway was a popular British novelist and a successful aeronautical engineer.

He used Nevil Shute as his pen name, and his full name in his engineering career, in order to protect his engineering career from any potential negative publicity in connection with his novels.

He lived in Australia for the ten years before his death.
More about Nevil Shute...
A Town Like Alice On the Beach Trustee from the Toolroom Pied Piper The Far Country