The Winged Energy of Delight

The Winged Energy of Delight

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The astonishing collection of the translations Robert Bly has been producing for more than fifty years, introducing foreign poets to American readers for the first time.

Robert Bly has always been amazingly prescient in his choice of poets to translate. The poetry he selected supplied qualities that seemed lacking from the literary culture of this country. At a time when ed...more
Published October 6th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published March 24th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Winged Energy of Delight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Winged Energy of Delight

Josh Paul
Great collection of translations, almost everyone in here is worth buying entire books by.
Heather
This wonderful book, edited and with commentaries by Robert Bly, is a collection of some of Thoreau’s best poetry and prose. It also includes pictures of wood engravings done by Michael McCurdy which are beautiful. Unfortunately, the copy I own was purchased as a used book and some of the pictures were cut out of the book by a previous owner, so I have missed out on a few.

I wouldn’t say that I love Thoreau’s poetry, although I enjoyed it much more than that of Margaret Fuller. I do love his beau...more
Maughn Gregory
In this remarkable little book, Robert Bly has selected poems and passages from Thoreau's books and journals into chapters with themes such as "The Habit of Living Meanly," "Going the Long Way Around," "Seeing What is Before Us," and "In Wildness is the Preservation of the World." Bly's introductory essays in each chapter are thoroughly Thoreauvian: alarming, ecstatic, gorgeous. The wood engravings by Michael McCurdy are a perfect compliment. An ideal book for the practice of contemplative readi...more
Ida
I am a huge fan of poetry and this is my favorite anthology. It seems as though every page is dog-eared. Bly does a sublime job with the translations- I have encountered these poems in other translations which are awkward and horrible in comparison. This is such a diverse collection I think that most readers would at least enjoy some poems.
Debra
Enlightening Rilke translations. Hafiz, Trakyl, Jacobson and every poet in this book is magically represented by Bly.
Dan Robinson
Found this on the shelf at the local used bookstore and couldn't resist it - Thoreau, edited and with commentaries by Robert Bly! and wonderful wood engraving illustrations by Michael McCurdy!
John
As i enjoyed nature this summer, this book was my companion. Thoreau's poems with Bly's arrangements led me into twilight to see the colors of the world.
Ivan Granger
A very nice collection with a modern feel. Poetry ranges from Rilke, Antonio Machado, and Juan Ramon Jimenez, to Rumi, Hafez, Kabir, and Mirabai.
Ward Bell
Unbelievably fine collection of poems from around the world and across the ages, translated by a master poet.
Jessie B.
I picked up this collection as it had a few of my favourite poets but in reading it I discovered a few more.
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Leo Alessi
Leo Alessi marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Dan
Dan added it
Apr 13, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Robert Bly (born December 23, 1926) is an American poet, author, activist and leader of the Mythopoetic Men's Movement.
More about Robert Bly...
Iron John: A Book About Men A Little Book on the Human Shadow The Rag and Bone Shop of the Heart: A Poetry Anthology The Kabir Book: Forty-Four of the Ecstatic Poems of Kabir Morning Poems