Start by marking “Fractions = Trouble!” as Want to Read:
Fractions = Trouble!

Fractions = Trouble!

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  33 reviews
If Wilson Williams thought multiplication was difficult, he is finding fractions impossible. And when his parents hire a math tutor for him, he is sure he's the only kid in the history of Hill Elementary to have one. Wilson is determined to make sure that no one finds out, not even his best friend, Josh. At least his pet hamster, Pip, is sympathetic. Pip is going to be par ...more
Published June 21st 2011 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Fractions = Trouble!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fractions = Trouble!

Mary Louise Sanchez
Wilson Williams is having trouble with math again but this year he's in third grade and fractions are his downfall. Mom and Dad hire a math tutor for Wilson but he doesn't want his classmates and especially his best friend Josh to know. In the meantime the school is having a science fair. Josh wants to find out the temperature needed to explode a pickle, and even Kipper, Wilson's kindergarten brother has a project in mind.
Wilson wants to do something involving his pet hamster. His tutor encoura
Georgene
Wilson Williams is having trouble learning math in school, especially fractions. His mother signs him up to see a math tutor, and Wilson finds this embarrassing. He does not want his best friend Josh, or anyone else in his class to know. Wilson is sure that he is the only kid in the universe who sees a math tutor. Wilson finds solace with his pet hamster Pip, who is going to be part of his science fair project. His science project may not be as cool as his friend Josh, who will be finding the te ...more
Teresa
Love this sequel to "7 x 9 = Trouble!"--once again, for a short book (113 pp.), Mills has packed in lots of good stuff. In this latest book, third-grader Wilson is trying to master fractions, after tussling with multiplication in the previous book. Having a younger brother who loves math doesn't help, and now his parents have decided to get Wilson a math tutor! Wilson is terrified that his friends, especially Josh, who is good at math, will find out. However, his tutor uses some of his favorite ...more
Renee
Jun 20, 2012 Renee rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: paw
Tiffany Beedle
The story is about a boy named Wilson who thought that fractions are just too hard for him to figure out. Wilson thought that third grade was great, except math class. Wilson is super embarrassed by the fact that he cannot figure out fractions, so when his parents decide to get a tutor for him, he just can't tell his friend Josh. Along with Wilson not understanding fractions he also has problem with confidence. He takes the opportunity during the science fair to prove that he can do things and t ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
This short book reminded me a lot of Muggie Maggie, a chapter book by Beverly Cleary about learning to write in cursive. I recognized the same introspective and insular point of view, and the same frustration and need for secrecy in both characters.Wilson also shares some characteristics with Richard "Beast" Best from the Polk Street School series by Patricia Reilly Giff, who worries that other kids will judge his difficulties with school. Fractions = Trouble also includes one of the best younge ...more
Arti
This book is an excellent read to children above seven. My son went crazy laughing and even rolled out of bed. WIlson and Kipper are fantastic characters carved by Mills. I loved every part of the book and so did my son!!
Sherry
Third-grade protagonist Wilson and little brother Kipper are close, but not without their share of sibling rivalry. Their parents are kind and understanding, while guiding them toward the right decisions, but not overbearing: ideal parents in my book. Wilson struggles in math, and frets about what others think of him, from his best friend, to his classmates, to the community at large. His mother hires a math tutor, who helps Wilson in ways he can relate. Highly recommended for those students who ...more
Dolly
Oct 10, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is a fun story about pet hamsters, little brothers, math, tents that blow in the wind, science projects, and pickles. It is a good story for third graders, because they can relate to the characters in the story. It's age-appropriate and I think they can empathize with the frustration, embarrassment and pride that Wilson experiences. The illustrations are sparse and completely in black and white, but they complement the story nicely. We enjoyed reading this book together and had a short less ...more
Kellie Lam
This is a great book to read for students who are learning about fractions. This gives children a knowledge that they are not the only ones struggling. This is also great for children to read or even teachers because vocabulary words are italicize and they are given a definition to help students learn the terms and understand what it means. This book also gives a glimpse of what a science fair project can be as well as what needs to be done for a science fair project.
LuAnn
I purchased this book hoping for our library hoping that it would be an interesting read that could help students in understanding those "dreadful fractions"! It did explain how the tutor taught fractions and might help someone who tried the same procedure, but it seemed to try to submit humor in the situation and seemed to address the embarrassment of having tutoring more than explaining fractions in a fun way.
Maggie
Great choice for the Virginia Reader's Choice Awards for 2014. Sweet book, beginning with the first paragraph: Whenever Wilson Williams had a problem, he talked to his hamster, Pip. He had had Pip for only two weeks, but already she understood him better than anybody else in his family did." Students with math phobia will find this story very relate-able. Recommend for second - fourth grades.
Meredith
Cute story that introduces fractions and the scientific method (loved that Josh brought the baked pickle to the science fair). Also can make struggling kids feel better about needing a little extra help and realize that different people learn in different ways. Need to figure out when which grades cover fractions so I can do the readaloud then ... hopefully before RICBA voting!
Angela Usas
Abbey,
I read this to see if it would be something for your kids but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a kid just miserable with fractions and good at reading. The problem is that the boy gets a tutor which is something that our kids don't have the option of getting. Not that the College Bound Kids need them with you as their teacher because you are a tutor-teacher in one!!!
Becky
Wilson is in third grade and is having trouble with math, and specifically fractions. His parents get him a tutor who helps him figure it out. Wilson, his friend Josh, and his little brother Kipper all participate in the school science fair.

This is a cute, realistic chapter book that will be understood and appreciated by those in third grade, like the protagonist.
Margaret
11/10/12 ** I thought this book was more fun than 7x9=Trouble. I liked the subplot of the science fair that accompanied the difficulty with fractions. Also, the main character's struggles with revealing that he's going to a math tutor are an insightful addition. Finally, I could fully understand his mixed feelings about his younger brother.
Sasha
This book was an adorable tale about a student who is struggling with fractions. He learns how to do fractions by drawing pictures of his pet hamster. (Okay, I know this is a children's book book but I was doing research for a grad class project and I am pretty far behind in the total of books I had set a goal to finish for the year.)
Wilson struggles is math and is given a math tutor. Fractions are worked into the story. Good book to have in a classroom library for students to read, especially those that struggle in math or with any subject.

6th Grade Common Core Standards: None

*Available at Albuquerque/Bernalillo County Libraries*
Jan
Sequel to 7x9=trouble. This time Wilson needs a math tutor and has to come up with a science project. Lots of humorous situations and a true understanding of the sensitive nature of needing a tutor. Includes the discovery that other people need tutors also. Mrs. Tucker, the tutor is wonderful!
Kristin Waitkus
All kids can relate to the main character in this story, Wilson because most of them at one time or another have struggled with something at school. This story shows the students that hard work can help you solve any problem and it is especially good when teaching students about fractions.
Erica Mcilmail trudell
Jan 13, 2014 Erica Mcilmail trudell marked it as to-read
Rooster Games Book
Lauren
While I wasn't a big fan of this book, I know that it is a good fit for some boys out there who struggle with one subject or another. If you think a reluctant reader might benefit from reading this book, just say it involves exploding pickles. That hooks them every time!
Pam Bartholomew
Cute story about a struggling student. Thought it would have more interesting ways to think about fractions but not really. It was a good story about family, science projects, and realizing that everyone has things that are challenging.
A wonderful little chapter book! Great for third graders and second graders venturing into chapter book territory. I love the brother love story and the appeal to anyone who's never understood fractions... Great math tie-in!
Joan
I read an arc today. It is a nice story and actually explains fractions in the midst of the story. It was quick and fun and should be of interest to the 3rd and 4th graders it is aimed at.
Libby
Didn't love like I did Mills' You're a Brave Man, Julius Zimmerman, but it's a cute story about math trouble, family trouble, and friend trouble, that's a nice easy read.
Sandy
I didn't realize when I read this book that it was a sequel. Fortunately, this book stands well on its own. Pleasant, easy chapter book about a boy's math troubles.
Courtney Burns
I quite enjoyed this book about a 3rd grade boy struggling with fractions--for such a short book there was quite a lot of content and feeling in this book.
Robin
With some cute illustrations, this story about a boy who does not want to have a math tutor was fun to read. Kids will easily relate to this story.
Anna
It was awesome! The author told us we had special talents. She struggled with fractions when she was in school.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Claudia Mills is the author of How Oliver Olson Changed the World, 7 x 9 = Trouble!, Being Teddy Roosevelt, and many other books for children. She was born in New York City in 1954. She received her bachelor's degree from Wellesley College, her master's degree from Princeton University, and a Ph.D. in philosophy from Princeton University. She also received an M.L.S. degree from the University of M ...more
More about Claudia Mills...
How Oliver Olson Changed the World Zero Tolerance Kelsey Green, Reading Queen Lizzie at Last Being Teddy Roosevelt