Start by marking “Grimm's Fairy Tales: Household Stories from the Collection of the Bros. Grimm” as Want to Read:
Grimm's Fairy Tales: Household Stories from the Collection of the Bros. Grimm

Grimm's Fairy Tales: Household Stories from the Collection of the Bros. Grimm

Nineteen Stories from the Brothers Grimm translated from the German by Lucy Crane and done into pictures by Walter Crane.
Published 1973 by Avenel Books

To ask other readers questions about Grimm's Fairy Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grimm's Fairy Tales

Stephanie Griffin
Jul 29, 2012 Stephanie Griffin rated it it was ok
Recommended to Stephanie by: read for class assignment
Although Grimm Brothers’ ‘Fairy Tales’ often give one a moral lesson, such as “beware of strangers bearing gifts”, they too often portray that unless a woman is young and beautiful, she is doomed to a life of woe and drudgery.
These particular stories are harmful to girls’ self-esteem. To think that you don’t deserve to be rich and/or powerful unless you’re good-looking in the beginning immediately cancels out any ambition to strive for a better life, for most girls.
For example, in THE GOOSE GIR
Miss Ryoko
Jul 10, 2015 Miss Ryoko rated it it was ok
Actual rating: 2.5

This might come as a surprise to most people but I don't think I've actually read Grimm's Fairy Tales. I've heard nothing but about how gruesome and dark the originally stories are, so when this older edition that was in great condition popped up at the library book sale, I bought it.

To be completely honest... I wasn't all that impressed. The stories definitely aren't as dark and gruesome as people were making them out to be, and often times I found the stories were so similar
Mary Esther
Jul 31, 2012 Mary Esther rated it it was amazing
Read this book for a Fantasy/Science Fiction class. Translated by Lucie Crane with illustrations by her brother. The illustrations are beautiful and evocative. Great classic that reminds one of the strengths and weaknesses of human nature.
Apr 07, 2014 Taty rated it it was amazing
In the world of fairy tales you have your Grimm's, and then you have all the rest.
wildly imaginative, sometimes absurd or grotesque and sometimes lacking a proper moral, the grime's household tales give a brand new eye to even the most fanatic fairytale fan (especially if you saw all the disney films BEFORE reading the book).
Aug 12, 2012 Kiri rated it it was ok
Shelves: f-sf-class
Okay, so we all know that the Grimm fairy tales are grimmer than their modern Disneyfied versions. But read as a collection, they also come across as woefully inadequate from a modern storytelling perspective. In most cases, the stories have little to no characterization (many character never even get names, just functions, like "the king's son"), and the plots are simplistic and predictable, except when they're not (e.g., an abrupt "and then they all died."). But of course, these were never int ...more
Jul 27, 2012 May-Ling rated it liked it
Shelves: coursera-reading
i've never actually read the whole volume of Grimm's fairy tales. of course, they are quick reads with varying lengths. the funny thing is that i don't always get the moral lesson and it's more complex than a direct answer, which is what you might expect from a fairy tale. Major themes include poverty, innocence, evil, religious piety and cunning intelligence. those are the stories that felt the most confused, as Grimm isn't always black and white on morality around clever characters. several of ...more
Jun 07, 2015 Cybersekkin rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
quite nice good f\refresher as I had contrary ideas of what they had in the tales.
May 14, 2013 Cheri rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
So I know, I know. They're fairy tales. I thought I knew what fairy tales were.... But apparently not. I'm not sure I "get it...." So many of the stories have no point, no moral (or a bad moral!). The bad guy wins.... A lot. Sometimes the good guy wins. Stepmothers are bad.... Dads are idiots.... And kings often give away daughters.

I'll be taking a MOOC and this is the first reading. I'm looking forward to some perspective on why these are so beloved....

The art in this edition is great.
Aug 27, 2012 May rated it really liked it
The original Grimm's Fairy Tales are definitely not the "happily ever after" tales many of us grew up with. Nonetheless, many of the tales, when they're not being weird and sexist, are still quite enjoyable. It is bizarre, to me, how absolutely morbid some stories are, but it's also kind of hilarious. I'd recommend this translation (with accompanying illustrations) to practically everyone, especially since it can be found for free online.
Jul 25, 2012 Valerie rated it liked it
I am reading this for a class. I was very surprised once I saw the book and its illustrations that it was one of the few books I had from the library as a kid. I remember counting all the animals in the illustrations and making sure that they matched the number of animals in the stories.

Su Phing
Jul 30, 2012 Su Phing rated it really liked it
Amazed by the layers and depth, beauty and darkness unfolding from what was simply "folk-tales". There's really something for everyone in Grimm's carefully currated volume of stories.
Judith Winters
Aug 14, 2012 Judith Winters rated it really liked it
It is amazing to see the way many of our more popular fairy tales began. The Grimm Brothers actually wrote for an adult audience and not necessarily for the children of their time.
Michele Casto
Aug 11, 2012 Michele Casto rated it really liked it
Read this for a Coursera literature class on Fantasy/SciFi along with 10,000 or so other students.
Feb 06, 2013 Deanna rated it it was ok
Had to read these for a course. Ugh. Enjoyable from an academic perspective, but I would never have read these if I did not absolutely have to.
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2016
Steph marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
P.S. Winn
P.S. Winn rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Allison Mickel
Allison Mickel marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
JAMES marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Laura Schulenburg
Laura Schulenburg marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Lawrence Moran
Lawrence Moran rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Hunter marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Mary Mullins
Mary Mullins rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Jocelyn Arnold
Jocelyn Arnold marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Mya marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Chrys Albarado
Chrys Albarado marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Dawn added it
May 06, 2016
Marion rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Jacob Ludwig Karl Grimm, German philologist, jurist and mythologist, was born at Hanau, in Hesse-Kassel (or Hesse-Cassel). He is best known as the discoverer of Grimm's Law, the author of the monumental German Dictionary, his Deutsche Mythologie and more popularly, with his brother Wilhelm, as one of the Brothers Grimm, as the editor of Grimm's Fairy Tales.

(From Wikipedia.)

More about Jacob Grimm...