Start by marking “Китайски загадки: Скелет под камбаната” as Want to Read:
Китайски загадки: Скелет под камбаната

Китайски загадки: Скелет под камбаната (Judge Dee (Chronological order) #8)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  923 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
В "Скелет под камбаната" са съчетани: едно от най - известните убийства в криминалната литература на древен Китай; тема, заимствана от сборник със странни престъпления и убийства от ХVII в.; записан в хрониките прочут случай, разиграл се в Кантон през 1725 г. С неповторимото си майсторство Ван Хюлик споява трите истории в увлекателен разказ, наситен с дълбоко познаване на ...more
Published 2000 by издателство Труд (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Китайски загадки, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Китайски загадки

Henry Avila
Apr 08, 2015 Henry Avila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All looks calm, in the apparently little, peaceful, beautiful, walled, northern town of Poo-yang, by the Great Canal, as the new magistrate Judge Dee, his three wives, numerous children, four cunning lieutenants, Hoong Liang, Ma Joong, Chiago Tai , Tao Gan, and loyal servants, arrive there. After the usual formal celebrations , meetings, a grand banquet, seeing the leading citizens, taking over from his able predecessor, Judge Feng, only one murder case, active, but that has been solved, already ...more
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Jan 15, 2012 Jayaprakash Satyamurthy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Excellent period mystery that draws on the Chinese detective story legacy and diplomat van Gulik's extensive scholarship. Reading this book was like stepping into a time machine and travelling back in time to imperial China, so well realised is van Gulik's portrayal of the era. Judge Dee, a magistrate, is given a new posting and proceeds to clean up the town. Cerebral and often downright inscrutable, he is aided by a cohort of close associates who range from a stalwart sergeant to a former con m ...more
Ivonne Rovira
Feb 24, 2013 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of unusual historical mysteries
Admirers of Robert van Gulik's always delightful Judge Dee mysteries have another treat in store with The Chinese Bell Murders. In this novel, Judge Dee is newly arrived in the city of Poo-Yang, and he begins by re-investigating a case that his predecessor, Judge Feng, could not complete since Feng had had to leave when he was reassigned to a new posting. In that case, an impoverished literary candidate named Wang was on the verge of being executed for the rape and murder of a butcher's daughter ...more
Nancy Oakes
Second in a series featuring the Tang Magistrate Judge Dee, based on a real magistrate during that dynasty. Dee has a series of retainers who assist him in his work. It is the case throughout the series that when Dee comes to a new town, mysteries present themselves for him and his friends to solve. Generally there are several mysteries that seem to be linked together somehow, and I take the utmost in pleasure to watch the crimes unravel.

In his first case, Judge Dee finds himself in the Poo-yan
Natalia
Jan 31, 2014 Natalia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, 2014
Oh, this book was great fun. I am unfamiliar with the history of Chinese detective novels (Actually, I was completely unaware China had a history of detective stories at all - Though come to think of it, why not? Every society has crime, and sometimes there are mysteries that need solving.)

I liked that there were 3 crimes solved in the book and that the timelines kind of overlapped. It felt much more realistic. In the real world, crimes don't happen one at a time, waiting for a magistrate to sol
 Carol ♔ Type, Oh Queen! ♔
I loved van Gulik's elegant prose & the simple illustrations that were with this book. I found the construction of the book's plot a bit hard (there are actually 3 different crimes) but will be prepared for that if I read another book in this series.

One criticism is that it would be very hard for the reader to solve the crime.
Acacia
Apr 09, 2015 Acacia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an amazing read! The way the plot is intricately woven around dynamic characters ought to be heralded as an example for mystery writers everywhere.
Erik
Aug 03, 2011 Erik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best in the series. Judge Dee and his four assistants, Sergeant Hoong, Chiao Tao, Ma Joong, and Tao Gan, investigate three cases: a 20-year-old feud between two Cantonese families, a suspiciously wealthy Buddhist temple, and the murder of a young girl. Science fiction writers could learn a thing or two from how van Gulik subtly conveys to the reader how the world of ancient China works.
Kathy Chung
Feb 05, 2014 Kathy Chung rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
yes! I love this story. full of surprising twist and turn if event.

Judge Dee taking over a new district had "inherited" a case of rape and murder from his predecessor.

everything sound simple enough. he just have to impose some harsh punishment to get the prisoner to confess. but Judge Dee found something suspicious and seems to have opened a can of worms.

to make it worse , there was a suspicious Sect that have great influence in the Capital . This sect seems to be commiting crime but Judge Dee
Frank
Jan 02, 2015 Frank rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent historical mystery. I couldn't put it down. Plenty of twists and turns and great puzzles solved by the magistrate with the evil-doers getting their just desserts.
Sandi
Apr 15, 2015 Sandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have read 2 Judge Dee mysteries. The Chinese Bell Murders is the first of the series. Have really enjoyed both books!
Janice
May 15, 2015 Janice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the reasoning he uses to solve the crimes and the peek into life in 7th century China. Good character building.
Matt
Feb 10, 2016 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good and highly-entertaining mystery novel by Robert van Gulik, but he's not quite on his A-game here.

For one thing, it's clear that van Gulik hadn't quite perfected his format at this point, borrowed from the Ming-style gong'an novels. It is true that Judge Dee has to solve three mysteries in this novel, having just arrived with his four trusty assistants in the fictional Jiangsu canal town of Puyang. But the Cases of the Half-Moon Street Rape-Murder, of the Secret of the Buddhis
Bev
This book, originally published in 1958, is actually set in the China of about the 17th century. Van Gulik was a Dutch diplomat and a well-known authority on Chinese history and culture. He drew his plots, settings, and character-development from Chinese literature--particularly the popular detective novels of the period. The story tells us of the adventures and rulings of Judge Dee in the early days overseeing the tribunal of Poo-yang. When he takes over the tribunal, he finds that there is one ...more
Betty
May 26, 2014 Betty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, china
I am especially fond of historical mysteries. So it is a mystery to me that it took so long to read one of van Gulik's Judge Dee mysteries set in 17th c. China. A scholar and diplomat, van Gulik based his mysteries on old Chinese detective stories. The postscript gives the reader the basis for the format of the novel as well as the derivation of the three mysteries that Judge Dee solves in the novel. Clever deduction and interesting cultural observations made this a very entertaining read.
Pamela Mclaren
I read this and several of the other Robert van Guilik Judge Dee mysteries several years ago and event today I remember how good they were and so different from the rest of that time mysteries. Perhaps its because its Asia, its a thinking man (i.e., like Sherlock Holmes) and it reflects the time period it is all about. These are not mysteries for everyone but if you like one, you'll want to ready more.
Sally
Feb 25, 2015 Sally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy a good mystery. I particularly enjoy the various conventions used: the cozy, the eccentric detective, the smarter than thou crime solver. This series is fascinating because it is centered in the Tang Dynasty, and the culture of that time is almost another character.
Stacy
Apr 05, 2016 Stacy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my new favourite series. I HAVE to read more. The author brilliantly keeps a simple narrative while including casual references to the historical norms of the time-period. These are educational and seamless. The integrity of his main protagonist is revealed through the hero's side-kicks. These are endearing and entertaining, and I care very much for every one of Judge Dee's assistants. Their dynamics between one another, and in certain aspects of encouraging plot development, never once ...more
Janneke
Weer een aantal spannende misdaden die Rechter Tie met hulp van zijn assistenten weet op te lossen en de misdadigers worden bestraft. De beschrijvingen van de personages en gebruiken in de Ming dynastie vind ik bijzonder boeiend om te lezen.
Aleksandar Nikolov
Aug 11, 2015 Aleksandar Nikolov rated it really liked it
Ди продължава да си е пич. Много готино законодателство са си измислили китайците , първо колят и бесят после питат (тумбс ъп). Хюлик отново за 200 страници е наблъскал не един или два случая за разрешаване, а цели четири-пети повече т.е нон стоп действие. Нямаше кой знае какви интересни обрати , но поне имаше обратни интереси!
Jeannie
Although the writing is a bit dated in places, the plot is interesting and the historical context fascinating
Mumbler
Apr 02, 2014 Mumbler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this really a lot. As much as I hoped; far more than I thought likely. Definitely want to read more.
Eric
Dec 24, 2014 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm so glad I found Judge Dee and I never would have if not for the movie adaptation. Judge Dee plus the ancient China setting truly makes this an interesting read.
Custodieva
Nov 29, 2015 Custodieva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Отличный антуражный детектив.
Kathy  Petersen
See The Chinese Gold Murders.
Zuzana
Nov 29, 2015 Zuzana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining historical mysteries set in the 7th century China.
Ben Renz
Mar 06, 2015 Ben Renz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just boring and not for me. Knowing I had to eventually finish it severely bummed me out.
May
Dec 07, 2011 May rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Chinese-style detective story, and very convincingly portrays the attitudes of the Chinese in that time period. Of course, this traditional way of thinking irked my feminist sensibilities somewhat, what with all the "women should be subservient to men" undertones and general masochism going on in the book. Provides great insight into Chinese history and culture, while remaining rather entertaining at the same time.
Malcolm
This is one of a series of novels from the 1950s in the style medieval Chinese crime novels, and as such it is a fairly standard police procedural. I am not a big fan of the police procedural but this was quite engaging, fairly entertaining, even if over reliant on the sense of mystical insight of the enigmatic investigator so common in detective writing. I doubt I’ll be rushing to another, but enjoyable.
  • SPQR IX: The Princess and the Pirates (SPQR, #9)
  • The Concubine's Tattoo (Sano Ichiro, #4)
  • Island of Exiles (Sugawara Akitada, #4)
  • The Devil's Novice (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #8)
  • Komisario Palmun erehdys
  • The White Rose Murders (Sir Roger Shallot, #1)
  • Младенец и чёрт / Мука разбитого сердца (Смерть на брудершафт #1,2)
  • Murder Most Holy (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #3)
  • Maigret and the Headless Corpse
  • The Case Of The Crimson Kiss: A Perry Mason Novelette, And Other Stories
  • Harem (Cetin Ikmen, #5)
Robert Hans van Gulik was a Dutch diplomat best know for his Judge Dee stories. His first published book, The Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee, was a translation of an eighteenth-century Chinese murder mystery by an unknown author; he went on to write new mysteries for Judge Dee, a character based on a historical figure from the seventh century. He also wrote academic books, mostly on Chinese history ...more
More about Robert van Gulik...

Judge Dee (Chronological order) (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee (Dee Goong An)
  • The Chinese Gold Murders