Start by marking “If God, Why Evil?: A New Way to Think about the Question” as Want to Read:
If God, Why Evil?: A New Way to Think about the Question

If God, Why Evil?: A New Way to Think about the Question

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  118 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
A trusted apologist provides a fresh, balanced approach to understanding how a loving God can preside over a world filled with evil and suffering
Published February 1st 2011 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about If God, Why Evil?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If God, Why Evil?

Jared Totten
As Geisler writes in the introduction, "At the same time our heart needs comfort, our head needs answers". Just such answers are the focus here. If God, Why Evil? by Norm Geisler is a sharp, intellectual stab at the heart of one of Christianity's most vexing questions (and yes, that question just happens to be the title). While the book is brief, Geisler brings all his apologetic weight to bear and the result is a pleasure to read.

This book is not for those struggling with evil and pain on a dee
Yiya
Dec 28, 2012 Yiya rated it it was amazing
How many times have people questioned God because of disease, wars, natural disasters, death of loved ones, abuse, and other painful situations? What is worse, Christians often seem to be unable to find biblical answers to those in need of comfort. This is where this book is crucial. In a practical, sharp, thorough and precise way, Mr. Geisler makes an exhaustive exposition about Evil, considering different worldviews, and demonstrating why the existence of Evil even proves God's.
So far, it is t
Rod
Jan 31, 2016 Rod rated it really liked it
Shelves: apologetics

A very good book for getting right to the point about evil and human existence. It pretty much brings everything right out into the open and philosophises about it. I keep telling myself I hate philosophy - but it sure seems to be the most direct way to discuss deep issues. I prefer more of a Crime Scene Investigation approach, but philosophy has its place.

Hopefully this book will make people think. Although if you're not a Christian I doubt this book will change your mind. I hope it will - but
Malin Friess
Dec 03, 2012 Malin Friess rated it it was amazing
The problem of evil is the most penetrating question Christians face. Why with an all-loving and all-powerful God why is there evil at all? And why such attrocious evil...holocaust, rape, starvation? And why so much evil..repeated war, rwandan genocide?
Geisler is a well known apologist who attempts to tackle this problem that will never go away. All of us had experienced some sort of darkness that is often unexplainable..and we throw our hands up in the air and ask God why? These questions cr
David
Jan 25, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: church, indy-study
This book is a good start for Christians, agnostics, atheists, and irreligious alike looking to find a condensed book full of answers for some of the most difficult questions about evil in the world. It gives the reader a quick and more full understanding of many theological arguments that have been debated for centuries. Keep in mind, the existence of God cannot fully be answered in this book, or life for that matter, or God would be eliminating freewill. As C.S. Lewis stated in the Screwtape L ...more
Angie
Jan 03, 2015 Angie rated it it was amazing
My professor recommended this book and a few months later it happened to be temporarily free for the Kindle, so I jumped on it! I am so glad I did. The author tackles some very tough, yet very common questions about God, good and evil, yet he does it in a straightforward and easy-to-understand way. Highly, HIGHLY recommended for anyone who is questioning God, or anyone who just wants a to be able to more thoroughly address those deep questions.
Rachel
Aug 20, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Norman Geisler takes a very systematic approach to a very broad and generalized question by breaking down the topic of evil into all its facets, such as nature, origin, and purpose. He also works in related topics like miracles and expands on the topics in three appendices. He uses both the rules of logic and debate as well as Bible scripture to support his conclusions.
I have read other books in the realm of Christian Apologetics, but nothing quite so detailed on a single topic as this book. Whi
Bruce
Apr 10, 2015 Bruce rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some interesting ideas

This book is certainly full of common responses to common objections and some are very helpful but I found some of the arguments to be poorly argued or to rely on very thin conjecture. I had hoped some of the arguments had more merit than was evident from this book.
Elise
This book explores the question of evil/suffering from an apologetic view. It engages with post-modern cultural perspectives and responds with clarity and thorough biblical theology. An excellent foundation for further apologetic study, and a great source for defending Christianity.

4/5.
Kristian Römer
Aug 06, 2014 Kristian Römer rated it it was amazing
This book is easy-to-read, concise, and helpful. If one is interested or struggling with the so-called "problem of evil," this is the book to read. It is only 100+ pages long and is based on sound logic stemming from the Bible.
Robert
Mar 08, 2013 Robert rated it really liked it
Evil was never created especially from God. Evil is not a thing therefore it cannot and was not created. What is evil? Evil is a corruption or a privation of something good that was created by God. Evil is not a thing in itself it has to attache itself to something created. Just like rust on a car or a wound on a arm.
Why does God stop evil? In order for God to interject into society and control it like evil it would take away the God given gift of free will, God would control our world as if we
Floyd
Jan 19, 2016 Floyd rated it liked it
Norman Geisler has authored and co-authored more than 70 books over 50 years of ministry ranging from theology to practical issues of the day. His presentation in this book used a logical philosophical approach to explain why evil exists and where God is in relation to it. He has a strong Scriptural base.
Heather Tomlinson
Dec 05, 2013 Heather Tomlinson rated it really liked it
Shelves: apologetics, theology

The main thing I like about this book is it is accessible, which books on this topic are not always. And for at least part of the book, he argues without any Christian presuppositions and so can speak to all people's questions on this subject.
There are parts where he is only really persuading a Christian audience who accepts the Bible, such the chapter on the existence of hell. However generally it's an easy to read and interesting approach to answering this question. It covers moral evil, physi
Nahomi
May 03, 2014 Nahomi rated it it was amazing
AMAZING! Gives AMAZING arguments!
Ryan Manns
Dec 28, 2012 Ryan Manns rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
Tough book to rate. At times it was really good and at other times...not so much. After reading the first 2 or 3 chapters I was contemplating giving the book 1 or 2 stars but the middle of the book, the last chapter, and the first to appendices were worth reading. I still have not found a sufficient answer justifying an eternal hell and a loving merciful God. This whole topic of evil and suffering though is probably one of the toughest for the apologist to write on and overall Geisler did a dece ...more
Matt
Aug 04, 2015 Matt rated it really liked it
Classic Geisler, although the audience targeted is clearly beginner. Nevertheless, the arguments form a classic presentation of the Christian response to the problem of evil, and they will put to bed the majority of atheistic objections based upon the presence of evil, pain, and suffering in the world.
Kate
Jul 01, 2011 Kate rated it liked it
If God, Why Evil? is a concise analysis of the major questions people have about the seemingly incompatible co-existance of a loving God and widespread evil and suffering. Geisler outlines the arguments against the theistic worldview and then poses counter-arguments.

Continue reading this review here: http://parchmentgirl.com/2011/07/01/r...
Lisa
Apr 06, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it
I found this book to be very good in addressing the question of evil. I would recommend it to others. I was not as crazy about the second appendix where he offers a critique of the book The Shack. It seemed to be out of place for the book (and a bit heavy handed but I understand his issues with the book).
Austin Mcgrath
Mar 13, 2015 Austin Mcgrath rated it it was ok
This book contains a number of false views of different doctrines, bad theology and contradictions. While geisler makes a couple good points they are nothing someone else hasn't said, i wouldn't recommend.
Kent
Jan 06, 2013 Kent rated it liked it
Excellent material for a philosophical type approach to the problem of evil and suffering.
JoAnne
JoAnne marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Greg Foss
Greg Foss rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Samuelmagar911yahoo.Com
Samuelmagar911yahoo.Com marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Emi Ciupe
Emi Ciupe rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Sharon
Sharon added it
Jan 18, 2016
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Dennis Price
Dennis Price rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2016
Thomas C Gresh marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
  • When God Goes to Starbucks: A Guide to Everyday Apologetics
  • What the Mystics Know: Seven Pathways to Your Deeper Self
  • New Birth or Rebirth?: Jesus Talks with Krishna (Great Conversations)
  • Jesus the Evangelist: Learning to Share the Gospel from the Book of John
  • The Mark of the Christian
  • Scaling the Secular City: A Defense of Christianity
  • If I Had Lunch with C.S. Lewis: Exploring the Ideas of C.S. Lewis on the Meaning of Life
  • Christianity for Modern Pagans: Pascal's Pensées - Edited, Outlined & Explained
  • Religion Saves: And Nine Other Misconceptions
  • God, Freedom, and Evil
  • The Historical Reliability of the Gospels
  • Know the Heretics (KNOW Series)
  • Tactics: A Game Plan for Discussing Your Christian Convictions
  • Faith and Reason: Searching for a Rational Faith
  • The Essential Guide to the Power of the Holy Spirit: God's Miraculous Gifts at Work Today
  • NIV, The Case for the Resurrection, Paperback: A First-Century Investigative Reporter Probes History's Pivotal Event
  • Misquoting Truth: A Guide to the Fallacies of Bart Ehrman's "Misquoting Jesus"
  • No More Christian Nice Girl: When Just Being Nice--Instead of Good--Hurts You, Your Family, and Your Friends
Norman L. Geisler (PhD, Loyola University of Chicago) has taught at top evangelical colleges and seminaries for over fifty years and is distinguished professor of apologetics and theology at Veritas Evangelical Seminary in Murrieta, California. He is the author of nearly eighty books, including the Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics and Christian Ethics. He and his wife live in Charlotte, ...more
More about Norman L. Geisler...

“The highest freedom is the freedom from evil, not the freedom of doing evil.” 1 likes
“this infinite abyss can be filled only with an infinite and immutable object, in other words by God himself. (Pensees, #148)” 0 likes