Start by marking “If God, Why Evil?: A New Way to Think about the Question” as Want to Read:
If God, Why Evil?: A New Way to Think about the Question

If God, Why Evil?: A New Way to Think about the Question

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  16 reviews
A trusted apologist provides a fresh, balanced approach to understanding how a loving God can preside over a world filled with evil and suffering
Published February 1st 2011 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about If God, Why Evil?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If God, Why Evil?

Jared Totten
As Geisler writes in the introduction, "At the same time our heart needs comfort, our head needs answers". Just such answers are the focus here. If God, Why Evil? by Norm Geisler is a sharp, intellectual stab at the heart of one of Christianity's most vexing questions (and yes, that question just happens to be the title). While the book is brief, Geisler brings all his apologetic weight to bear and the result is a pleasure to read.

This book is not for those struggling with evil and pain on a dee
Yiya
How many times have people questioned God because of disease, wars, natural disasters, death of loved ones, abuse, and other painful situations? What is worse, Christians often seem to be unable to find biblical answers to those in need of comfort. This is where this book is crucial. In a practical, sharp, thorough and precise way, Mr. Geisler makes an exhaustive exposition about Evil, considering different worldviews, and demonstrating why the existence of Evil even proves God's.
So far, it is t
Rod

A very good book for getting right to the point about evil and human existence. It pretty much brings everything right out into the open and philosophises about it. I keep telling myself I hate philosophy - but it sure seems to be the most direct way to discuss deep issues. I prefer more of a Crime Scene Investigation approach, but philosophy has its place.

Hopefully this book will make people think. Although if you're not a Christian I doubt this book will change your mind. I hope it will - but
Malin Friess
The problem of evil is the most penetrating question Christians face. Why with an all-loving and all-powerful God why is there evil at all? And why such attrocious evil...holocaust, rape, starvation? And why so much evil..repeated war, rwandan genocide?
Geisler is a well known apologist who attempts to tackle this problem that will never go away. All of us had experienced some sort of darkness that is often unexplainable..and we throw our hands up in the air and ask God why? These questions cr
David
This book is a good start for Christians, agnostics, atheists, and irreligious alike looking to find a condensed book full of answers for some of the most difficult questions about evil in the world. It gives the reader a quick and more full understanding of many theological arguments that have been debated for centuries. Keep in mind, the existence of God cannot fully be answered in this book, or life for that matter, or God would be eliminating freewill. As C.S. Lewis stated in the Screwtape L ...more
Angie
My professor recommended this book and a few months later it happened to be temporarily free for the Kindle, so I jumped on it! I am so glad I did. The author tackles some very tough, yet very common questions about God, good and evil, yet he does it in a straightforward and easy-to-understand way. Highly, HIGHLY recommended for anyone who is questioning God, or anyone who just wants a to be able to more thoroughly address those deep questions.
Rachel
Norman Geisler takes a very systematic approach to a very broad and generalized question by breaking down the topic of evil into all its facets, such as nature, origin, and purpose. He also works in related topics like miracles and expands on the topics in three appendices. He uses both the rules of logic and debate as well as Bible scripture to support his conclusions.
I have read other books in the realm of Christian Apologetics, but nothing quite so detailed on a single topic as this book. Whi
Elise
This book explores the question of evil/suffering from an apologetic view. It engages with post-modern cultural perspectives and responds with clarity and thorough biblical theology. An excellent foundation for further apologetic study, and a great source for defending Christianity.

4/5.
Kristian Römer
This book is easy-to-read, concise, and helpful. If one is interested or struggling with the so-called "problem of evil," this is the book to read. It is only 100+ pages long and is based on sound logic stemming from the Bible.
Robert
Evil was never created especially from God. Evil is not a thing therefore it cannot and was not created. What is evil? Evil is a corruption or a privation of something good that was created by God. Evil is not a thing in itself it has to attache itself to something created. Just like rust on a car or a wound on a arm.
Why does God stop evil? In order for God to interject into society and control it like evil it would take away the God given gift of free will, God would control our world as if we
Heather Tomlinson

The main thing I like about this book is it is accessible, which books on this topic are not always. And for at least part of the book, he argues without any Christian presuppositions and so can speak to all people's questions on this subject.
There are parts where he is only really persuading a Christian audience who accepts the Bible, such the chapter on the existence of hell. However generally it's an easy to read and interesting approach to answering this question. It covers moral evil, physi
Nahomi
AMAZING! Gives AMAZING arguments!
Ryan Manns
Tough book to rate. At times it was really good and at other times...not so much. After reading the first 2 or 3 chapters I was contemplating giving the book 1 or 2 stars but the middle of the book, the last chapter, and the first to appendices were worth reading. I still have not found a sufficient answer justifying an eternal hell and a loving merciful God. This whole topic of evil and suffering though is probably one of the toughest for the apologist to write on and overall Geisler did a dece ...more
Kate
If God, Why Evil? is a concise analysis of the major questions people have about the seemingly incompatible co-existance of a loving God and widespread evil and suffering. Geisler outlines the arguments against the theistic worldview and then poses counter-arguments.

Continue reading this review here: http://parchmentgirl.com/2011/07/01/r...
Lisa
I found this book to be very good in addressing the question of evil. I would recommend it to others. I was not as crazy about the second appendix where he offers a critique of the book The Shack. It seemed to be out of place for the book (and a bit heavy handed but I understand his issues with the book).
Kent
Excellent material for a philosophical type approach to the problem of evil and suffering.
Simone
Simone marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Tasha
Tasha marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Felipe
Felipe is currently reading it
Jan 29, 2015
Tyler Perry
Tyler Perry marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Justin Berman
Justin Berman is currently reading it
Jan 05, 2015
Wayne Ownby
Wayne Ownby marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Martin A Pitcher
Martin A Pitcher marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Norman L. Geisler (PhD, Loyola University of Chicago) has taught at top evangelical colleges and seminaries for over fifty years and is distinguished professor of apologetics and theology at Veritas Evangelical Seminary in Murrieta, California. He is the author of nearly eighty books, including the Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics and Christian Ethics. He and his wife live in Charlotte, ...more
More about Norman L. Geisler...
I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist Christian Apologetics Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics When Skeptics Ask Chosen But Free

“The highest freedom is the freedom from evil, not the freedom of doing evil.” 0 likes
“this infinite abyss can be filled only with an infinite and immutable object, in other words by God himself. (Pensees, #148)” 0 likes