Start by marking “Through Smoke” as Want to Read:
Through Smoke

Through Smoke (Troubled Heroes #1)

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  216 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Firefighter Michael McGinnis is no stranger to intense situations. Veteran of New York’s Ladder Twenty-One Company as a search and rescue man, he has seen his share of burning infernos, high-rise saves, and intense emergency situations. Despite McGinnis’ years on the job, nothing can prepare him for getting tangled in his brother’s mistakes as a drug addict and gambler, es ...more
Published February 19th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Through Smoke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through Smoke

Joan
I was hoping for a hot and heavy (no... not THAT sort of hot and heavy!)novel here. Plenty of drama in the firefighting scenes, a few nice romantic touches, a bit of angst with the brother and so on. (Come on. A girl can read fire-fighter froth once in a while can't she?)

(Perhaps not ;) )

But this was dull. The firefighters were wimps. The fires were wimps. I wanted ACTION and scorching flames and the stench of smoke in the nostrils and the sting of sore eyes, etc. I wanted to be scared for the
P.D. Workman
Looks like the cover has changed a few times, the one I bought isn't up yet.

This one disappointed me, and I eventually gave up on it. Shallow characters, conflicts not fully developed, too much focus on just having sex. If you're just looking for a light firefighter romance, give it a try, but don't be fooled into thinking it is deep or suspenseful.
Mary Tennison
This was a "free" e-book I downloaded when I was using an app to find free books on my Kindle. I'm a snob about typos and spelling and found this to be a tedious read because of the issues I kept seeing ("he had along way to go"...) The characters start out sounding deep but nothing is truly given to their background - you're expected to build too much (IMHO) of your own story of their lives and minds into the pat, stereotypical events that happen.
Sorry for the harsh review but coming from read
Haley Whitehall
This book was classified as a romantic suspense, but there isn't much romance in this story. The romance that was present between NYC firefighter Michael McGinnis and paramedic Eva Crisante didn't work for me. They were too hot and cold.

Casey's drug addict brother brings trouble into Michael's world. Michael didn't even know his brother bet until he meets his bookie. The scary man threatens him saying one brother is as good as another, and then things start happening like a rash of warehouse fir
Susan Moore
Unique and captivating story.

I really enjoyed this book. There is post 911 firefighters, a very evil bookie, and excellent characters written about in this book. Free. I'm following it with the second in the series, which is a plus. Great camaraderie within the companies members and their families.
Barbara
His book was a great read. The book was pretty accurate. I have read several books on fire fighters and paramedic/EMT. Dennis Smith wrote wrote the book about Engine 82. This book was great as it measured up to all the other books I read.
Pat Dicesere
Great read...

Good exciting book I really enjoyed it. Can't wait to get the second book and the third. This book had some quite highs and lows but still enjoyed it.
Charity
soooo this was a free read on Kindle. I really wanted to love this book. I think it had all the right ingredients for a great story!.sexy fire fighter ..a troubled brother..crime..money and romance..

What went wrong? Nearing the end of this book I find my self struggling to bond with shallow characters and a plot with a flat climax admidst numerous spelling and grammatical errors! ( ie: there instead of their)

I think there's potential for a great storyline to be built around these characters.. I
Shannon Adamson
I liked this book, a lot. I would rate it a 3.5.

I normally only purchase romance novels, and this was classified as one. There really wasn't a whole lot of romance in it to be honest with you. But that was okay actually, the story rocked!

The book takes us on a journey with Michael McGinnis and his dealings as a NYC firefighter and the troubles he has come into, courtesy of his brother, Casey. Casey, a druggie with a betting habit, comes to Michael looking for a place to stay. He brings one frien
Kimberly
FDNY's finest are the focus of this story that includes family drama, romance, love of the brotherhood and the excitement of their day to day lives. You get the good, the bad and the ugly in this fast paced story. Absolutely enjoyed it and will be checking out the other books on n this series.
Laura Sullivan
Have you ever found a gem of a restaurant down a little street that no one has heard of, then when you start telling people how great it is they know about it. Best kept secret and all. Well this book is IT. Not highly advertised or a well known author, but this book is a gem.

Jessica Tate gives Indie authors a good name. This book has a wonderful flow, and it moves at exactly the right pace. I won't be cliche' and say I couldn't put it down, but I read it in 2 sittings.

You have family love and
Amber
Mar 17, 2014 Amber rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ok
I wanted to love this book, but i couldn't. I read it. But it took forever to get thru. I wanted it to pull me and never let go. But it didn't. It was a good read, but it wasn't for me.
Hayley
A very deep and addictive storyline of a straight lined fireman who has a brother who is in trouble but then drags Mikey into it.
Great read without all the details of sex but still a nice story
Patricia Ibarra
Michael McGinnis is a firefighter that has to deal with tragedies of his everyday work that wear him both physically and emotionally. He has to deal with memories of his dead father, of losses very close to him, and if this were not enough, with Casey, his younger brother who leads a very troubled life. I liked this part of the book and these characters, but the author made a terrible task in portraying Mike's girl-friend, Eva. She is pretty, hard-working, competent, caring, empathetic, patient ...more
Dee Greusel
Awsome

Loved the twists and turns as well as how it did folow very closely to a firefighters/paramedics life being a firefighter/emt myself.
Debra
This is a great beginning to the series. left me wanting to start the next book. Having two sons as firefighters keeps my interest.
Anne
Apr 06, 2015 Anne rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2015
Cheesy and not a lot of depth, but a decent entertainment piece of you don't have anything else good to read.
Jen_C
Really wanted to like it. Had some issues with it though. It is very anti-cop. Makes me scared to have a fire in NYC because I may get a hungover, crybaby, impulsive fireman responding to my call for help. Also had continuity issues (he was in his dress uniform for a funeral but when his girlfriend undresses him she removes his jeans??). Overall, I just did not really like the H and h. He was TSTL at times and cried too much for me. I need more alpha than that. Other may really like it but it wa ...more
Will Phillipson
Kindle free book
Lhenry
Good if you like angst, which I do! In spite of a lot of issues among Michael, Casey and Eve, it was not overly dramatic. In fact I liked how the author underplayed the emotions. I also liked how the characters were likable and nice at heart, but actually made a number of bad decisions throughout the book. Ending was very exciting too.
My only criticism is that so much was left unresolved, but I was pleased to see that there is a sequel.
Jody Skalski
I didn't know what to expect with this book and ended up liking it. I enjoyed the characters, the setting, etc. The romance wasn't much and knew where it would end up, but that was okay because the rest of the story really carried it through. The relationship between two brothers who are complete opposites,and the relationship with their mother. Good description of the characters of the bad guys and what they're capable of.
Crystal Dundas-miller
really like these two, hot!
Anna
This was an Amazon freebie and categorized as romance. I always like a firefighter romance. Uh, not so heavy in the romance dept here. At. All.

I read it though, great little case of inner struggle and intrigue. Well written. Would have been a great romance some help!
Heatherobx
I truly enjoyed this book!!! It had a great live story but had typical life scenarios and difficulties!!! Loved how solid Michael was, even when his head told him Casey was lying he still had to try to take care of him!!! True Big Brother fashion ~ great read!!!
Carrie
Nook book. About a firefighter, had to read it, glad I did. Quick easy read. Good story line that moved quickly, almost too quickly. Would have liked more to the Mikey and Eva story. Part of the Trouble Heroes series, will have to check out the others.
Beth
I liked Michael and Eva but I really wanted more heat...more steam...more Michael and Eva. The suspense part of the book was good. But I needed more. Michael was a hot fireman but not alpha enough. Good story...just turn up the heat.
Lyn
This was my 2nd book I read on my Kindle, and I loved it! The storyline was good and the author really made you care about the characters. Fast paced book! I definitely recommend this book! It was very good!
Kathy
This is definitely more of a thriller than a romance. However, I loved the story and plan to read the sequel.
Mary Mooney
I love a good romantic thriller and this book has all of it. Will be getting Backfire, the next one in this series.
Carol and Gary Curtis
OK book and story. Nothing terribly original but interesting enough.
  • Cool Shade
  • The Trouble With Green
  • The Scent of Jade
  • Embers of Hope (Second Gift, #1)
  • Necessary Detour
  • Ferris' Bluff
  • Three Days in Seattle
  • Diagnosis Death (Prescription for Trouble, #3)
  • Cold Turkey (Events Unlimited, #1)
  • Heaven's Rage
  • Penumbra
  • Dead Man's Hand
  • Return Of The Runaway Bride
  • Not What She Seems

Troubled Heroes (3 books)
  • Backfire: The Troubled Heroes Series #2
  • Fire Escape - Book Three: Troubled Heroes Series (An Action Thriller)
Backfire: The Troubled Heroes Series #2 Fire Escape - Book Three: Troubled Heroes Series (An Action Thriller) Dance With the Devil: The Troubled Heroes Series Walkin' on the Happy Side of Misery Fight for Absolution