Through Smoke

Through Smoke (Troubled Heroes #1)

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Firefighter Michael McGinnis is no stranger to intense situations. Veteran of New York’s Ladder Twenty-One Company as a search and rescue man, he has seen his share of burning infernos, high-rise saves, and intense emergency situations. Despite McGinnis’ years on the job, nothing can prepare him for getting tangled in his brother’s mistakes as a drug addict and gambler, es...more
Published February 19th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Through Smoke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through Smoke

Shannon Adamson
I liked this book, a lot. I would rate it a 3.5.

I normally only purchase romance novels, and this was classified as one. There really wasn't a whole lot of romance in it to be honest with you. But that was okay actually, the story rocked!

The book takes us on a journey with Michael McGinnis and his dealings as a NYC firefighter and the troubles he has come into, courtesy of his brother, Casey. Casey, a druggie with a betting habit, comes to Michael looking for a place to stay. He brings one frien...more
Laura Sullivan
Have you ever found a gem of a restaurant down a little street that no one has heard of, then when you start telling people how great it is they know about it. Best kept secret and all. Well this book is IT. Not highly advertised or a well known author, but this book is a gem.

Jessica Tate gives Indie authors a good name. This book has a wonderful flow, and it moves at exactly the right pace. I won't be cliche' and say I couldn't put it down, but I read it in 2 sittings.

You have family love and...more
Amber
Mar 17, 2014 Amber rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ok
I wanted to love this book, but i couldn't. I read it. But it took forever to get thru. I wanted it to pull me and never let go. But it didn't. It was a good read, but it wasn't for me.
Patricia Ibarra
Michael McGinnis is a firefighter that has to deal with tragedies of his everyday work that wear him both physically and emotionally. He has to deal with memories of his dead father, of losses very close to him, and if this were not enough, with Casey, his younger brother who leads a very troubled life. I liked this part of the book and these characters, but the author made a terrible task in portraying Mike's girl-friend, Eva. She is pretty, hard-working, competent, caring, empathetic, patient...more
Debra
This is a great beginning to the series. left me wanting to start the next book. Having two sons as firefighters keeps my interest.
Mary Tennison
This was a "free" e-book I downloaded when I was using an app to find free books on my Kindle. I'm a snob about typos and spelling and found this to be a tedious read because of the issues I kept seeing ("he had along way to go"...) The characters start out sounding deep but nothing is truly given to their background - you're expected to build too much (IMHO) of your own story of their lives and minds into the pat, stereotypical events that happen.
Sorry for the harsh review but coming from read...more
Jen_C
Really wanted to like it. Had some issues with it though. It is very anti-cop. Makes me scared to have a fire in NYC because I may get a hungover, crybaby, impulsive fireman responding to my call for help. Also had continuity issues (he was in his dress uniform for a funeral but when his girlfriend undresses him she removes his jeans??). Overall, I just did not really like the H and h. He was TSTL at times and cried too much for me. I need more alpha than that. Other may really like it but it wa...more
Will Phillipson
Kindle free book
Lhenry
Good if you like angst, which I do! In spite of a lot of issues among Michael, Casey and Eve, it was not overly dramatic. In fact I liked how the author underplayed the emotions. I also liked how the characters were likable and nice at heart, but actually made a number of bad decisions throughout the book. Ending was very exciting too.
My only criticism is that so much was left unresolved, but I was pleased to see that there is a sequel.
Jody Skalski
I didn't know what to expect with this book and ended up liking it. I enjoyed the characters, the setting, etc. The romance wasn't much and knew where it would end up, but that was okay because the rest of the story really carried it through. The relationship between two brothers who are complete opposites,and the relationship with their mother. Good description of the characters of the bad guys and what they're capable of.
Anna
This was an Amazon freebie and categorized as romance. I always like a firefighter romance. Uh, not so heavy in the romance dept here. At. All.

I read it though, great little case of inner struggle and intrigue. Well written. Would have been a great romance some help!
Heatherobx
I truly enjoyed this book!!! It had a great live story but had typical life scenarios and difficulties!!! Loved how solid Michael was, even when his head told him Casey was lying he still had to try to take care of him!!! True Big Brother fashion ~ great read!!!
Carrie
Nook book. About a firefighter, had to read it, glad I did. Quick easy read. Good story line that moved quickly, almost too quickly. Would have liked more to the Mikey and Eva story. Part of the Trouble Heroes series, will have to check out the others.
Barbara
His book was a great read. The book was pretty accurate. I have read several books on fire fighters and paramedic/EMT. Dennis Smith wrote wrote the book about Engine 82. This book was great as it measured up to all the other books I read.
Beth
I liked Michael and Eva but I really wanted more heat...more steam...more Michael and Eva. The suspense part of the book was good. But I needed more. Michael was a hot fireman but not alpha enough. Good story...just turn up the heat.
Lyn
This was my 2nd book I read on my Kindle, and I loved it! The storyline was good and the author really made you care about the characters. Fast paced book! I definitely recommend this book! It was very good!
Kathy
This is definitely more of a thriller than a romance. However, I loved the story and plan to read the sequel.
Mary Mooney
I love a good romantic thriller and this book has all of it. Will be getting Backfire, the next one in this series.
Carol and Gary Curtis
OK book and story. Nothing terribly original but interesting enough.
Kim
Loved this book much more than I thought I would.
Wallene
Definitely needs editing. Shows some potential.
Valerie
Entertaining twist on romance and mystery
Kim
Jul 02, 2013 Kim added it
Great book, kept you reading.
Lindsey
Amazon freebie 1/2/13
Lindsay
Jan 01, 2013 Lindsay marked it as kindle-i-own-to-read
Amazon Freebie 01/01/2013
Stephanie Gibson
Stephanie Gibson marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Gill
Gill marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
  • The Trouble With Green
  • Embers of Hope (Second Gift #1)
  • Cool Shade
  • Not What She Seems
  • If We Dare to Dream: The Evans Family, Book One
  • Heartfire
  • Cloudburst
  • Running of the Bulls (Fifth Avenue #2)
  • In Too Deep (America's Bravest, #1)
  • Forgotten Father
Backfire: The Troubled Heroes Series #2 Dance With the Devil: The Troubled Heroes Series Fight for Absolution Fire Escape - Book Three: Troubled Heroes Series (An Action Thriller) Walkin' on the Happy Side of Misery: A Slice of Life on the Appalachian Trail