Start by marking “Auntie Mayhem (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #9)” as Want to Read:
Auntie Mayhem (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #9)

Auntie Mayhem (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #9)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  502 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Though lurching through London is ever so jolly, hostess on-holiday Judith McMonigle Flynn and her cantankerous cousin Renie are looking forward to an unharried weekend at a real English country manor. They find the estate taxing, however, what with vacationing relations crowding every nook and cranny of Ravenscroft House, while its awesomely aged mistress, Aunt Petulia, h ...more
Published February 27th 2007 by HarperCollins e-books (first published March 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Auntie Mayhem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Auntie Mayhem

Thalia Papadakis
I have an affinity for cozy mysteries. They generally aren't written in pursuit of a spot on the bestseller list; rather, cozies are written to give the reader a sense of comfort and calm (ironically, by way of murder).

My mom read cozies to escape her three eccentric young daughters and grumpy husband: one daughter, the artist, painted five-foot tall green flowers on the side of the freshly painted rental when she was four; the adventurous daughter asked which way north was, and was found by ne
Jeanne Quigley
I liked the twist in this book: bed-and-breakfast owner Judith Flynn travels to England for a vacation and to visit a country home to offer consultation on turning it into a B&B. And as it often happens at her own b&b, the manor's owner's sudden death is ruled a homicide. Judith and her cousin, Renie, put on their sleuth hats to solve the murder as well as a long-cold case.
Michele
May 20, 2014 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy this series. Renie and Judith are cousins, and they are as close as sisters. Their mothers are sisters and take sibling rivalry to a whole new level. They are nasty, insulting and constantly complain...but you can't help but love them...because you are SO GLAD they aren't your mother. As a cozy mystery, there is a body that turns up...but there isn't any blood and guts. Judith and Renie always stumble into the body finding and somehow end up solving the murder. However, Renie is tiny and ...more
Barbara
Oct 26, 2014 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Again, I thoroughly enjoy the Bed and Breakfast mysteries by Mary Daheim. In this book Judith and Renie go to England and visit a rural estate. Of course, there is a murder that Judith works to solve. Also, are a lot of hidden secrets that must be explored to eliminate suspects.
Lisainoregon
Disclaimer: I think this series is marginal, the cousins are OK but the the other characters don't seem real. This book is par; but the ending drama-moment not only is cliche, it is particularly unbelievable to the point it leaves me quite annoyed.
Maureen Hetzel
A fun read set in England with all the characters that seem to populate small villages. A death and two visiting Americans proceed to solve this so their vacation can continue. Amusing interplay.
Kim
Jun 12, 2016 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The cousins and their husbands travel to England for this adventure. Not enough about the area, but great character development as usual.
Jane
Feb 09, 2014 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cozy, fiction
A fun one. Fun characters and intriguing plot. I'll read another of hers.
Kathy
Sep 30, 2014 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyable...light, humorous mystery reading!
VJ
Mar 22, 2013 VJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I see a problem already. No self-respecting person of any upbringing OTHER than American would dare call the game with a black and white ball played by kicking goals "soccer." Nope. To the rest of the world...that is football.

Yeah...I was way off. That was just an editing error. This was another of those twisted, secretive, crazy extended families plus loads of money.

The setting was quaint, the characters funny, and it was away from the States as well as the B&B so it was a good one.
Sallie
Aug 03, 2010 Sallie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I seem to be on a Read-A-Mystery-A-Day kick right now. Too hot outside in the afternoon to do much, so I sit in my recliner, cold drink (mostly water these days) at hand, and usually a cat on my lap, and I read all afternoon into the evening. I have a stack of Mary Daheim B&B mysteries to read, so this afternoon, I'll be delving into the next one.
Jenn
Sep 30, 2008 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interestingly enough, I read this Mary Daheim book after reading "Scots on the Rocks" where it was mentioned a few times. This was the first time the cousins had been to England where Scots was the second time. A bit hard to get into as I hated the family they were staying with and found it tough to keep the characters straight.
Diane Falvey
Feb 03, 2013 Diane Falvey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again an intriguig mystery from Mary Daheim. Am enjoying working my way throught the complete Bed & Breakfast Mystery series.

The cousins Judith and Renie have a great relationship, even better than sisters and their mothers well, they are two old ladies I wouldn't like to come up against.

Nadine
Jan 09, 2011 Nadine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A novel about 2 American friends (cousins) visiting England, and, of course, solving the mystery. Good story, even though I'm not into novels with a Great Britain setting. Stresses the importance of having a valid will and copies of it several places!
Lollyletsgo
Jul 29, 2013 Lollyletsgo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An English manor house becoming a B&B? Sign me up! This one was twisty in the plot with who did the dirty deed. I love how Gertrude can affect Judith where ever she may be in the world... that old woman is growing on me...
Linda
Oct 10, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge

Fun English countryside mystery. Love how family history seems to play a part in so many of these stories. The bad part is it seems I always spend half the book figuring out what year it is.
Apr 12, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
One of the better from the series. I liked the English countryside setting and the "who dunnit" was more complicated than the others have been.
Librarylinda
Mar 01, 2012 Librarylinda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh puleeze!.
A very annoying book.
Two stupid women, a country mansion, a couple of murders. No pace, no surprises.
Irene
very funny -
Tracey
Mar 13, 2012 Tracey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read.
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Paula Hambrick
Paula Hambrick marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Mary Lou
Mary Lou rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Avid
Avid rated it it was ok
Jul 06, 2016
Sue Phillips
Sue Phillips marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Doreen
Doreen added it
Jul 02, 2016
Debra Cyr
Debra Cyr rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
  • The Class Menagerie (Jane Jeffry, #4)
  • Hell Hath No Curry (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #15)
  • The 27-Ingredient Chili Con Carne Murders (Eugenia Potter, #4)
  • Father's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #10)
  • Damsels in Distress (Claire Malloy, #16)
  • God Save the Queen!
  • Killed by Clutter (A Domestic Bliss Mystery, #4)
  • The Mother's Day Murder (Christine Bennett, #12)
  • Inked Up (Stamping Sisters, #2)
Seattle native Mary Richardson Daheim has been fascinated by story-telling since early childhood. She first listened, then read, and finally began to write her own fiction when she was ten. A journalism major at the University of Washington, she was the first female editor of The Daily where she attracted national attention with her editorial stance against bigotry.

After getting her B.A., she wor
More about Mary Daheim...

Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Just Desserts (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #1)
  • Fowl Prey (Bed-and-Breakfast, #2)
  • Holy Terrors (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #3)
  • Dune to Death (Bed-and-Breakfast, #4)
  • Bantam of the Opera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #5)
  • A Fit of Tempera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #6)
  • Major Vices (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #7)
  • Murder, My Suite (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #8)
  • Nutty as a Fruitcake (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #10)
  • September Mourn (Bed-and-Breakfast, #11)